XBox One Game Installation Is Very Slow

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Edited by TiimeThief (13 posts) -

I just bought "Ryse: Son of Rome" and tried to play it last night. Popped my disc into my brand new XBox One console and the system prompted me to install the game to its HDD. After confirming installation, the game installed EXTREMELY slowly. I think it was sitting at 0% progress for close to an hour before it finally moved to 1%. Then it stayed at 1% for what seemed like 15 minutes before it inched its way to 2%…..The system finally allowed me to start the game when installation reached 4% progress. Even then, at the game menu, after selecting the single player campaign, it took another 15 minutes to install something else to the system before the game finally and officially started. So altogether, it took me almost 2 hours from the time I inserted the disc into the console until I could finally play it. Is everyone experiencing this or is it just me? Do all xbone games take this much time before gamers can actually start playing them?

#2 Posted by zombieweekend (35 posts) -

I've not had that experience.

#3 Posted by rgsniper1 (9341 posts) -

Mine took a bit to install yes, but it went off without hitch. After the intro when you take the emperor to safety it had a loading screen that said installing with eh disk image spinning. Now that took about 7 or 8 minutes of the bar not moving before I decided to cancel it out and try again. I did this twice and on the third time it was fine. Have not had an issue since. I should note I let it go to 100% install before I started playing. Also I saw that it had just over a gig patch, but I didn't see that was still going on before I started playing.

#4 Posted by bumsonfire (225 posts) -

I dont experience this problem, you must have slow internet or you were lagging at the time, not sure.

#5 Posted by jekyll (9140 posts) -

The first few percent seem to move glacially. I was worried there was a problem when I installed NFS: Rivals. It sat at 1% for about two minutes. I did some other stuff in the dash for a minute, came back, and it was 4% progress, but it moved along much more rapidly from there.

#6 Posted by Dtree11 (29 posts) -

My experience was a little different. The game installed in a reasonable amount of time. But, once it was installed, I was not able to play the game at all (Battlefield). I kept getting an error that read something like " Game loaded too slow ". Then the navigation around the other apps on the dashboard became suuuuupppper slow. I would press the left button and the cursor would move 5 seconds later. I too have spent a lot of time on the phone with MS. I feel your pain.

#7 Edited by Bangerman15 (1976 posts) -

I've notices that install times on the xbox one suck pretty bad. Especially compared to ps4 where a 40 some gig game like killzone installs in 1 minute. Xbox one installs slower than my PC does too, but eh whatever. Hopefully its the software and it will be quicker eventually.

#8 Edited by TiimeThief (13 posts) -

I realized what the problem is (and as a matter of fact, the internet is actually buzzing about this issue since launch). So if you want to play your game instantaneously, make sure that your ethernet cable is not connected to your xbox one console and that your WIFI connection is off. Then insert your game disc and the system will install the game from the disc, instead of from the server/internet (which will take a lot more time to do because it will attempt to install updates and stuff for the game). If you install the game offline, you should be able to play it within 5 minutes or less. Thanks for everyone's help

#9 Edited by adders99 (2596 posts) -

I realized what the problem is (and as a matter of fact, the internet is actually buzzing about this issue since launch). So if you want to play your game instantaneously, make sure that your ethernet cable is not connected to your xbox one console and that your WIFI connection is off. Then insert your game disc and the system will install the game from the disc, instead of from the server/internet (which will take a lot more time to do because it will attempt to install updates and stuff for the game). If you install the game offline, you should be able to play it within 5 minutes or less. Thanks for everyone's help

I am happy about this because my internet takes ages to download stuff... But it just doesnt make sense!!!! it should install from the disc first any way making everything quicker!!! they need to fix this.

#10 Posted by sukraj (22296 posts) -

This is the thing I heard u have to install every game to the hardrive which sucks.