Xbox One: Are you ditching KI for MKX?

Alucard_Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 0

Poll Xbox One: Are you ditching KI for MKX? (23 votes)

Oh yes, KI is good but once MKX comes out it's the only fighter I'll play 30%
Not really, I'll probably play MKX more at first, and then I'll probably keep playing both 30%
I'm not ntwrested in MKX, so I'll keep playing KI only 9%
None of the above 30%

Obviously this is directed towards people who currently enjoy Killer Instinct to some extent. With MKX around the corner, I'm curious what will happen to KI's player base. So far it has not had much competition but that will soon change.

I'm not even a big MK fan, but I love fighters and I just had to get MKX......at first I was on the fence, but alas they got me with the Predator character, I share Angry Joe's opinion on the matter. I like a lot of the other MK characters too like Sub Zero but overall I'm just an average MK fan(I've always preferred Street Fighter, and more recently KI).

I will still keep playing KI regularly. I think it's a great fighter, but for the next few weeks I think MKX will get more gametime.

• 
Alucard_Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Alucard_Prime
Member since 2008 • 10107 Posts

Hmmmm...didn't know you couldn't edit poll posts(makes sense though why you cannot lol)....oh well. Typo on 3rd choice, should be : I'm not interested in MKX...

Anyways, thanks for your input and feel free to freeform if your choice is not listed above!

BattleSpectre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 BattleSpectre
Member since 2009 • 7989 Posts

I have had Killer Instinct from day 1, but honestly I'm not a big fan of fighting games, thus I haven't played it much. But like I've mentioned in the past I can make an exception for Mortal Kombat, and I do look forward to the campaign in that game (not a fan of multiplayer in general).

garfield360uk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#3 garfield360uk
Member since 2006 • 20381 Posts

If I get Mortal Kombat I probably will play more of that at first but then just rotate between the two. I tend to play single player in these games or online with friends. Playing online I find frustrating as I am not very good at fighting games so when I get kicked into the corner and then just bashed on its not super fun (i.e. getting juggled). However when its a game with somebody like myself it tends to be fun as you just learn how to counter each other and its far closer fights. I do enjoy watching some streams of fighting games every now and then, but not something I am super into.

Basically Mortal Kombat is one of the few fighting games I tend to enjoy because I can do some of the combos, where as something like Street Fighter I tend to get super stuck because the combos are quite complex and thus I am unable to do them. I know it takes practice and maybe one day one of those styles of fighting games will pull me in, but for now I am happy with Killer Instinct and Mortal Kombat. If they made a new Soul Calibur however.....

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4  Edited By SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

I left KI a long while back and MKX had nothing to do with it. It was too simplistic and while I'm very good at it, I got bored and people are sore losers quitting online. Eh.

I will get MKX when they release the MKX Komplete edition next year.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56060 Posts

Some people that I know including me are just gonna wait for the Komplete bundle edition. MKX lost me when WB wants everyone to preorder the game in order to access Goro which right there piss me off the most, Goro should never be put as a preorder. second, they are not asking for $60, but $80 just for all these DLC characters. I'm sorry but MKX is just taking an advantage for your money's worth and I'm in no hurry to play MKX and I still have MK9 on Xbox 360 if I'm in the mood to play MK. I been playing KI since I pick up my Xbox One in last November and I own season 1/2 and still playing the game to this day. Just waiting for Cinder to appear now.

Edit: I didn't vote cause there's no, No I'm waiting for GOTY AKA Komplete bundle edition.

Alucard_Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Alucard_Prime

@davillain- said:

Some people that I know including me are just gonna wait for the Komplete bundle edition. MKX lost me when WB wants everyone to preorder the game in order to access Goro which right there piss me off the most, Goro should never be put as a preorder. second, they are not asking for $60, but $80 just for all these DLC characters. I'm sorry but MKX is just taking an advantage for your money's worth and I'm in no hurry to play MKX and I still have MK9 on Xbox 360 if I'm in the mood to play MK. I been playing KI since I pick up my Xbox One in last November and I own season 1/2 and still playing the game to this day. Just waiting for Cinder to appear now.

Edit: I didn't vote cause there's no, No I'm waiting for GOTY AKA Komplete bundle edition.

Yeah I wish they didn't do that with the extra characters, they're too expensive....and whatever happened to just unlocking them through normal gameplay, like we used to do back in the day....oh well. Reading your post almost makes me regret buying the game.....almost.....but I skipped MK last gen, and come to think of it this would be the first MK game I get on day 1......IGN posted some early impressions, they say it's the best MK yet. I like the effort they seem to have put in the single player portion of the game...so even if I suck online, I'll at least have that to fallback on. Only 3 hours now, don't disappoing me please! My KI TE 2 stick is ready!!!

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

This is the first 2.5D fighting game The Xbox One since KI right ?

Alucard_Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Alucard_Prime

@Lulu_Lulu: I believe so, other than an indie title that was this 2 button fighting game that I remember playing briefly months ago(the name escapes me now). Here is a cool congratulations message from KI and MS about the launch of MKX

http://www.killerinstinctcentral.com/microsoft-congratulates-netherrealm-studios-on-mortal-kombat-x-launch/

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Lulu_Lulu

@Alucard_Prime:

Thats good..... its about time.

I don't have an Xbox One but I would delve into MKX only for alil before going back KI..... a game with Combos that long with no Combo Breakers is not a game I would commit to.

How do you break a combo in KI anyway ?

Alucard_Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Alucard_Prime

@Lulu_Lulu: In KI you just have to press the same strength punch/kick buttons as the the opponent's combo strength, part of it is a guessing game, and the other part is being able see what strength level combo your opponent is using and counter accordingly. I just finished the tutorial in MKX and they have combo breakers in it too, although it seems you can only perform them when you have sufficient energy meter accumulated. Great game so far, but it feels a bit sluggish compared to KI, though I always felt MK had that kind of gameplay in the first place anyways. The single player is great, feels like an adventure game more than a fighting game.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Lulu_Lulu

@Alucard_Prime:

Theres a term hardcore fighting game enthusiasts use thats very important to the genre.... its called "Yomi" which more or less translate to "reading" as in reading some one's moves..... KI's mechanics support this philosphy...... yeah it may seem random at first but naturally you begin use read your opponents moves and predict and counter their next move...... its a skill.

MKX and Injustice if I remember correctly simply tie some of their most important or powerfull mechanic to some type of renewable resource and I really really don't like it........ Naruto did that Too.... you could break out of any attack guarenteed but to compensate for this sure fire defense they had to tie it to a resource.....

its less like Yomi and more like Micromanagement....... It can make for some pretty onesided fights when you have defensive semi-finite resource instead of a Defensive Mechanic.

I really really really don't like it at all. :(

Alucard_Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Alucard_Prime

@BattleSpectre:

The campain in MKX is so far the best aspect of the game. I've never seen anything like it. It's like you are in this movie, and there are even QTE's scattered about, and every few moments, when there is a fight you enter a battle.....they tried to make it all seem seamless, and it's awesome I must say.

BattleSpectre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 BattleSpectre
Member since 2009 • 7989 Posts

@Alucard_Prime said:

@BattleSpectre:

The campain in MKX is so far the best aspect of the game. I've never seen anything like it. It's like you are in this movie, and there are even QTE's scattered about, and every few moments, when there is a fight you enter a battle.....they tried to make it all seem seamless, and it's awesome I must say.

Thanks for the update, it's sounding great. I wonder what rating Gamespot/IGN will give the game.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Lulu_Lulu

@makemefamous07:

I think its funny how you can say KI is better than MKX but all you did was compare MKX to its predecessors.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Lulu_Lulu

@makemefamous07:

Hell Yeah !!!! That's more like it....... you're literally the first person I've encountered who bothered to talk about the gameplay in that level of detail.

:)

riggeddice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#18 riggeddice
Member since 2015 • 25 Posts

Both are good for different reasons. I think that killer instinct has the more complex combat system. You not only need to have knowledge of your fighters' openers and linkers but also you opponents so that you can properly defend. Mortal Kombat has always relied on its' "Gore Appeal" I mean who doesn't want to see the guts of their foes littered across the stage? the thing that makes MKX stand out is the variations. Its actually cool how you, in a way triple the game roster just by swapping in and out moves based on your play style. On the other hand Killer instinct, although it never really immerses you in each characters' backstory, the game is satisfying. the online play is awesome. you can choose what level opponent online(i.e. if you are just a qualifier you dont have to fight random gold ranks unless you choose to do so). I will evenly be playing and streaming both and probably adding a Killer instinct review in the near future just because of this discussion.

Lach0121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#20  Edited By Lach0121
Member since 2007 • 11782 Posts

Both games are great. 2 of the most bad ass fighting games I have ever played.

I have only played MKX online, (Haven't played KI online yet) I have to say the community with MKX consist of countless people who do nothing except spam 1 move, and or corner spam. Come on people learn some freaking skill!!! I fear this is with every fighting game community. (just last night I had a few ranked matches and over half of them consisted of this... Erron Black the guy just spammed block, then used the long range rifle the entire match. D'vorah, the guy basically just used the down X, attack {an uppercut of some form} over and over. Sub Zero sword upper cuts in the corner... These players really ruin the experience.)

Combat flows much smoother for me in MKX as it has a bit more natural speed to it. KI is just too fast, and seems to be built solely around combos, and if you block the first hit or not. The music in KI is better, although MKX has some good music too, the level designs of both are awesome, but aesthetically KI has the edge here . The fighters themselves much better in MKX than KI. The story... (I am not sure as KI just got their story not long ago) is ok in MKX, but not their best. The fighting animations are much better in MKX. But the music tied to the combat (especially ending combos) in KI is pretty awesome I like that about it, AND I really like the arena announcer of KI.

I am torn on the 3 moves set list (fighting styles of MKX) on one hand I find it irritating that you don't necessarily have all the moves for each match, but on the other hand I feel it adds a bit more of a tactical edge. I also like the fact that it gives you slightly alternate costumes for each fighting style. I also think you have more moves now overall due to this decision.

I love the character modifications/editing (to a degree) that you can do in KI, and I love the Krypt of MKX (prolly their best version of it yet)

I think I prefer MKX on the whole, a little more than KI, but as a house hold we will be playing both. Right now of course its just MKX as we have had it a much shorter time, but when it all evens out. Both games will be played.