Xbox 360 in 1024x768 resolution.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

RasmusJagd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 RasmusJagd
Member since 2005 • 169 Posts

Hi everyone.

I have a Sony27" TV with the resolution of 1024x768. It isn't a flatscreen panel, I think its just a regular TV. It's a biggy, 40 kg or something. I'm gonna look into that though, dont know if it actualy could be an old time plasma screen. What do you think?It has a pretty decent picture I think, though I'm no expert.

Anywho, how will a Xbox 360 look hooked up to that you think? DVDs look realy sharp, even played on a 40$ DVD player. At least better than my Samsung 226BW. Good colours and contrast.

I mean 1024x768 is alot better that standard TV resolution of 640x480 pixels, and only 15% less pixels that 720p resolution. The xbox does support real 4:3 right? It wount be strecthed from 16:9 will it?

I've already searched the forums for display questions, and the 1024x768 res, but they are all about small, cheap low resflatscreen.

RasmusJagd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 RasmusJagd
Anyone?
JCxDenton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 JCxDenton
Member since 2006 • 48 Posts

I dont know about your TV.

ButifitallowsVGAorComponantthanyouwillproblygetHD.

wii60_lukatoll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 wii60_lukatoll
Member since 2007 • 1076 Posts

can't help u there man, i'm sorry, i have no idea about tv resolution and stuff, other then 720p 1080i and p are high def :P

Malvo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Malvo
Member since 2005 • 183 Posts

can't help u there man, i'm sorry, i have no idea about tv resolution and stuff, other then 720p 1080i and p are high def :P

wii60_lukatoll

his TV is 720P old school. Most 42" Plasmas on the market today are 1024 x 768. When you're talking about TV's you only need to worry about the 2nd number. So technically its 768p and would downscale everything to 720p. Some of the first HDTV's were actually SDTV's unless you specifically enabled the resolution and then it cut it to widescreen. Very bulky lugs of TV's. A lot of timea well made 42" Plasma will look sharper than its 50" counterpart because the pixels have to cover less screen area.

In short, technically your TV is a HDTV. Without knowing anything specific about it (model for instance) thats all I can say. I would guess that since its older the PQ isn't quite up to par with todays HDTV's not because of the resolution but because of the advancement in contrast ratios, color saturation, and shadow detail in most current tech.

RasmusJagd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 RasmusJagd

Thx for answering guys. Now you're all talking about whether it's HD or not, but I dont realy care about that. :) I'm just concerned whether its worth all the trouble and money to get a Xbox when i actualy have a high spec PC and a 22" widescreen monitor.
But the Xbox 360 does support 1024x768 doesnt it? So it shouldn't stretch or have to downscale from 720por anything right?

I tried hooking up the TV to my 8800GTS's TV-out and it looked pretty decent, and Resident Evil 4, Lost Planetand NFS Carbon played pretty good, though text was somewhat hard to read. But then again, these games were meant for the PC even though they have all been ported from consoles. Anda Xbox 360 would propably give me better picture quality using component cables, wouldn't it?

I know im asking alot of questions, but im not the very impulsive kind of guy. I want to know what I get when I spend my money.

Stealth-Gunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Stealth-Gunner
Member since 2004 • 4166 Posts
You can use your Sammy to play your 360 through VGA. That's what I would do, it probably (almost certainly) will look better than on your tv. I have it on my Hp w2207, looks awesome. I think the 226BW is as good if not better than mine so I bet you will be happy with that option. :D
sickface

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 sickface
Member since 2007 • 67 Posts

The 360 will support 1024x768 through the VGA port only. Does your TV have a VGA port? If so, just get some VGA cables with the 360 and your good to go. You will have to change the resolution through the system blade though.

If I could suggest something. Why don't you just use your 22' computer monitor for the 360? Just hook up your PC through the DVI port ( which you should do anyway) and then use the VGA for the 360.

RasmusJagd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 RasmusJagd

Yeah, maybe you're all right. The Samsung may be the best option, even if it will be with an upscaled 720p signal through VGA.

And yeah, i also discovered that 1024x768 is only supported through VGA, which the Sony doesn't have. I have to use component, which only supports:
-480i/480p
-576i
-720p
-1080i

So i guess that would mean either upscaled 480p, or maybe somehow downscaled 720p, dont know if the TV could handle that. Maybe it would just cut of the image at the top and the bottom. What do you think?

Thx for the help guys. ;)

Terami

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#11 Terami
Member since 2004 • 3992 Posts

The 360 will support 1024x768 through the VGA port only. Does your TV have a VGA port? If so, just get some VGA cables with the 360 and your good to go. You will have to change the resolution through the system blade though.

If I could suggest something. Why don't you just use your 22' computer monitor for the 360? Just hook up your PC through the DVI port ( which you should do anyway) and then use the VGA for the 360.

sickface
Just to clarify... Are you saying that with VGA cables, I could connect my 360 to a 4:3 LCD and actually select a resolution from the system settings? If so, what are the selections available for resolutions?
Terami

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Terami

The xbox does support real 4:3 right? It wount be strecthed from 16:9 will it?

RasmusJagd
While I can't say what the 360 will do with VGA cables...I can say that with component cables, the only 4:3 ratio is the 480p resolution. 720p, 1080i and 1080p will all be in widescreen format.
Oemenia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -2

#13 Oemenia
Member since 2003 • 10416 Posts

Why dont you try component and get it to 720p, thats really odd for TVs to only go up to that resolution.

Either way, most 360 games DO support 4:3 resolution and so they will either put in a letter box presentation OR if they arent lazy theyll fit the whole screen. Offcourse, i personally LOVE letterbox, its very cinematic. PGR3 does not support 1280x1024 at 4:3, the game simply looks horrible as its stretch beyond belief so the only resolution you can play that nicely at without having widescreen support is 1024x768.

XBOX games also give problems, upscaling the resolution can really give a lot more clarity, some games like Jade Empire and SC CT are fine at higher resolutions on 4:3 aspect but most games arent such as GTA SA which happens to look crystal clear at the higher resolutions. The problem, its stretching.

Either way, 1024x768 is still very close to 1280x1024, it wont be quite as sharp and some games seem to look quite a bit worse such as PGR3, but otherwise, youre getting a VERY HD experience

Lastly, make sure you go to System>Console Settings>Display>Reference Levels and set it to EXPANDED. Make sure you do this as it will greatly reduce the washout that VGA gives

Oemenia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Oemenia
[QUOTE="sickface"]

Terami

Just to clarify... Are you saying that with VGA cables, I could connect my 360 to a 4:3 LCD and actually select a resolution from the system settings? If so, what are the selections available for resolutions?

Yes spot on, instead of letting you choose 480p/720p/1080p, itll instead say 640x480/800x600...1024x768/1280x720/1280x768/1280x1024 and 1900x1080.

It gives a great image, but the main problem is washout as most monitor screens tend to emit more light than a TV. Offcourse, the problem can be GREATLY reduced by setting youre reference levels to expanded

Terami

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Terami
[QUOTE="Terami"][QUOTE="sickface"]

Oemenia

Yes spot on, instead of letting you choose 480p/720p/1080p, itll instead say 640x480/800x600...1024x768/1280x720/1280x768/1280x1024 and 1900x1080.

It gives a great image, but the main problem is washout as most monitor screens tend to emit more light than a TV. Offcourse, the problem can be GREATLY reduced by setting youre reference levels to expanded

Kewl, thank you very much! Does the VGA cable have optical out?
Oemenia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Oemenia
[QUOTE="Oemenia"][QUOTE="Terami"][QUOTE="sickface"]

Terami

Kewl, thank you very much! Does the VGA cable have optical out?

Well theres the Red and White for audio, and then theres the video output which is the VGA plug. Offcourse, if youre monitor has a socket at the back, you can stick it straight in and youre off, but if it doesnt, then the cable leading down from your monitor will do. How? Stick an adapter onto that cable and then the the 360 VGA HD Cable into that adapter. This adapter MIGHT come with the kit, youre going to have to make sure of that

As for audio, the kits comes with a Red/White adapter, again if it doesnt you can get all these seperately. Because its going to be difficult to explain, the image below should give you a good idea

zsc4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 zsc4
Member since 2005 • 5233 Posts
Just to future what Oemenia is saying; If you get the Official Microsoft VGA Cable, in the kit you get the VGA cable, gender changer for the monitor and an adapter for the red and white to convert into one audio jack. Additionally, it should also be noted if you planning to play your 360 on a monitor the image will be stretched ever so slightly. It is noticeable, but not that huge of a difference.
RasmusJagd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 RasmusJagd

Ok, alot of info has been shared now, but i have to say that I'm a little bit confused, so just for the record I would like a last definitive answer to help me in my decisions. Im at work right now, will be leaving in a couple of hours, and I'm thinking about picking up a Xbox 360 on the way home.

Will an Xbox 360, hooked up with component cables, to a standard 4:3 TV with the resolution of 1024x768, look good?
Which resolution available would be the best, will there be stretching, and will there be letterboxing?

Guide me through these troubled times. ;)

Thank you all!

zsc4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 zsc4

Ok, alot of info has been shared now, but i have to sayI'm a little bit confused, so just for the record I would like a last definitive answer to help me in my decisions. Im at work right now, will be leaving in a couple of hours, and I'm thinking about picking up a Xbox 360 on the way home.

Will an Xbox 360, hooked up with component cables, to a standard 4:3 TV with the resolution of 1024x768, look good?
Which resolution available would be the best, will there be stretching, and will there be letterboxing?

Guide me through these troubled times. ;)

Thank you all!

RasmusJagd
So are you hooking it up to a TV or a monitor? If it's a TV then I really can't help you, but according to Oemenia there will be letterboxing. Therefore, if letterboxing occurs the image will be slight smaller in its height and not stretched. Additionally, he also stated that most games do support the 4:3 ratio meaning that the games will look fairly good on 1024x768.
RasmusJagd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 RasmusJagd

Ok, yeah, but the problem is that I will be using component cables, that do not support 1024x768. The closest thing will be 720p, but I don't know if that will work, I mean, there are to many vertical pixels. It propably wount even be available.

Well, in the end, maybe I just have to try it out. In either case I could use my Samsung 226BW, even though it would be great with the bigger screen.

zsc4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 zsc4

Ok, yeah, but the problem is that I will be using component cables, that do not support 1024x768. The closest thing will be 720p, but I don't know if that will work, I mean, there are to many vertical pixels. It propably wount even be available.

Well, in the end, maybe I just have to try it out. In either case I could use my Samsung 226BW, even though it would be great with the bigger screen.

RasmusJagd
The quality on the 226BW with a VGA cable will be much better, however your TV is only 5 inches bigger. My advice would be go with the monitor with a VGA cable.
sickface

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 sickface
Member since 2007 • 67 Posts
[QUOTE="RasmusJagd"]

zsc4

The quality on the 226BW with a VGA cable will be much better, however your TV is only 5 inches bigger. My advice would be go with the monitor with a VGA cable.

Yes, I agree. Even though your computer monitor is a little bit smaller, the trade off for better image quality plus widescreen support is worth it. Forget about using that TV, it won't look nearly as good as you're monitor.

Someone asked before if the VGA cables support optical. The answer is yes!

RasmusJagd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 RasmusJagd

Ok, well I guess I have my answer then :). Now I have to buck out for the VGA cable too. Wount hurt to try out the component on my TV first though.

Thank you for the help everyone.

Terami

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Terami

Someone asked before if the VGA cables support optical. The answer is yes!

sickface

Yeah, that was me. :) Thank you.

Terami

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Terami

I appreciate the effort, thank you.

Well theres the Red and White for audio, and then theres the video output which is the VGA plug. Offcourse, if youre monitor has a socket at the back, you can stick it straight in and youre off, but if it doesnt, then the cable leading down from your monitor will do. How? Stick an adapter onto that cable and then the the 360 VGA HD Cable into that adapter. This adapter MIGHT come with the kit, youre going to have to make sure of that

As for audio, the kits comes with a Red/White adapter, again if it doesnt you can get all these seperately. Because its going to be difficult to explain, the image below should give you a good idea

Oemenia
Oemenia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Oemenia
Just to future what Oemenia is saying; If you get the Official Microsoft VGA Cable, in the kit you get the VGA cable, gender changer for the monitor and an adapter for the red and white to convert into one audio jack. Additionally, it should also be noted if you planning to play your 360 on a monitor the image will be stretched ever so slightly. It is noticeable, but not that huge of a difference.zsc4
Depends on the game offcourse, with XBOX games it can be a problem though some seem to be fine at higher resolutions. The only XBOX 360 game to have given problems is PGR3 and im suspecting Shadowrun
Oemenia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Oemenia

I appreciate the effort, thank you.

[QUOTE="Oemenia"]Well theres the Red and White for audio, and then theres the video output which is the VGA plug. Offcourse, if youre monitor has a socket at the back, you can stick it straight in and youre off, but if it doesnt, then the cable leading down from your monitor will do. How? Stick an adapter onto that cable and then the the 360 VGA HD Cable into that adapter. This adapter MIGHT come with the kit, youre going to have to make sure of that

Terami

Picture courtesy of ZSC, he was the one who originally solved the issue for me:)