Xbox 360 achievement glitch + how to delete achievements?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by Knowz (3 posts) -
My son logged in to his Xbox 360 account today to discover that all achievements (with a few rare exceptions) for any game he has ever played have been unlocked. He only plays on two Xbox 360 consoles, one at my house and one at his mom's; neither one of them is hacked in any way. No one with the know-how to perform any such hacks has touched either console. I had him immediately change his password in case someone has hacked his account, but I suspect this is not a case of hacking but a case of some kind of bug. We are now left with the problem of all of these unearned achievements. He is upset about the fact that he enjoys hearing the sound the achievements make when he earns them and he will never hear that sound again (at least until he gets more games). He doesn't want for his account to be this way and doesn't mind wiping the slate clean and re-earning everything (thankfully he has only owned an Xbox 360 for 2 months). But obviously, he doesn't want to change his gamer tag to do so. So, I have two questions. First, has anyone heard of such a bug before and if so, is there any clue on how to prevent it from re-occurring? Could it be a hardware issue and should we look into returning the console while it is still fairly new and in warranty? The only unusual thing about the way he uses his Xbox account that I can think of is that he is constantly recovering his gamer tag because he is constantly switching from playing at his mom's house and mine. But he can't possibly be the only kid doing that, I would think the Xbox live could handle such an occurrence. The second question is: how can we clear all of those achievements without losing his gamer tag?
#2 Posted by Darkslayer16 (3611 posts) -

What's the name of the gamertag?

#3 Posted by Legendaryscmt (12532 posts) -

Well, it isn't a hardware issue, so you don't have to worry about either console. My guess is that if he's been recovering his account so many times, there must have been a bug that occured. Unfortunately, the only way those achievements will be deleted is if Microsoft sees the achievements and thinks that it's a hacked account. If they do, the gamerscore will be reset, but then the already earned achievements are locked and can't be re-earned on that account. When it comes down to it, this might be one of those things where you just have to accept what happened and hope for the best.

#4 Posted by IzzieWaru (905 posts) -

Only way you'll get this fixed is to call Microsoft support.

I've never heard of this before, and my boyfriend switches his tag between my xbox and his cousins all the time. The only time it hiccups is if he changes his avatar on one of the systems.

You could just make a new tag that's similar to the one you have now. My younger brother was playing all my games on my tag without me knowing, until I saw the achievements I know I didn't complete. I got tired of people thinking I was him, so I just made a new tag.

#5 Posted by Knowz (3 posts) -
I just got some more info that makes it sound more like a hack situation. It turns out that the system made him recover the tag when he tried to play today (although he had already recovered it to that Xbox 360 Sunday night and hadn't moved it elsewhere since). After the tag was recovered is when all of those achievements showed up. He swears he didn't give anyone the password and although his password isn't very complex it is still more than just a simple dictionary word or name. How prevalent is hacking of accounts in Xbox Live 360? are brute force password cracking tools readily available? Why would anyone hack someone's account only to unlock all their achievements? Although I believe him when he says he never gave anyone his password, I won't be too surprised if one of his online friends asks him how he liked that "favor" he did him. Having dealt with Microsoft tech support in the past, I think I will have him make a new tag instead. This comes at a good time for that anyway. This was his first foray into online gaming, so it's a good time to undo all of the rookie mistakes (like building up a massive "friends" list of people he never talks to or plays with). His account expires sometime this month and he still thinks that's the end of his online gaming days because he doesn't know I'm surprising him with a 12 month gold membership. So, I think starting over might not be a big deal afterall. Still, as a geek and information security engineer, I am totally intrigued by how this might have occurred. The security of console gaming networks is not something I have ever explored and this certainly piques my interest.