XBONE Background Services / OS

This topic is locked from further discussion.

killerneub

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 killerneub
Member since 2010 • 214 Posts

The XBONE has shown some very cool features when it comes to TV and managing 2 things at once

But... won't these services running in the background eat up A LOT of RAM and Processing power?

> It's great to be able to watch tv or be on the net and play a game, but I don't know if it's worth it

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts
Yes it will
MathMattS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

#3 MathMattS
Member since 2009 • 4012 Posts

Chances are, I won't be watching TV or on the internet while I'm playing a game, so it's a moot point for me. 

killerneub

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 killerneub

Yes it willMonsieurX

If I buy a Gaming Machine .. I want 100% of it's power put into giving me the best gaming experience.

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts

[QUOTE="MonsieurX"]Yes it willkillerneub

If I buy a Gaming Machine .. I want 100% of it's power put into giving me the best gaming experience.

Then don't buy a console
Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#6 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

[QUOTE="MonsieurX"]Yes it willkillerneub

Awesome, you live in 1994

xhawk27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 xhawk27
Member since 2010 • 12183 Posts

You know who uses the word Xbone? Kids that are around the age of 13. 

killerneub

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 killerneub

xhawk27
Good one bro
killerneub

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 killerneub
Does anyone honestly think there isn't a significant gap between the XBone and PS4 backgrond services
Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#11 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

Does anyone honestly think there isn't a significant gap between the XBone and PS4 backgrond serviceskillerneub

No, both system will be running the same things in the background.

adders99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 adders99
Member since 2005 • 2623 Posts

The way I see it... I am currently running many apps and games etc on my 360 which is now ancient in terms of hardware... so I will be upgrading to the xbox one which is lightyears ahead of the 360 so its bound to be able to do what it currently does and more!

Dom_Hawk_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#13 Dom_Hawk_basic
Member since 2002 • 411 Posts

i'm going to attempt to address this in a technical manner, lets see how I do.

So first things first, Microsoft has indicated that the Xbox One will be able to run multiple services simultaneously, this does not include the operating system which is running the individual services. So, the operating systems that the Xbox One will be running are.... the Xbox OS, a stripped down basic version of Windows 8 and Hyper-V (this is a virtualization software which will allow the system to switch between these states(Xbox OS and Win8)) Now on a PC Windows 8 light in weight in comparison to Windows Vista and Windows XP, and some claim have an advantage over Win7, although I don't see it.

You're asking about the performance of the box. When it comes to watching television at the same time you game, this shouldn't cause your system much issues as it is not actually processing any video signal, it's just a pass through to the AVR or television, the console is not doing anything to the signal it receives from your cable box or other console you have plugged in.

So running other applications. What I can say there is even on a PC you can only run so much before your system slows down as the resources the operating system has access to are finite. For example I don't ever see Microsoft allowing you to run Photoshop or other photo editing software on the system, which wasn't specifically made for it. With there being a Windows 8 core in the system, it has been suggested the Xbox One store would be integrated with the other Microsoft Stores sometime in 2014, however, I think if this is the case that the Xbox One store experience would be extremely curated, and the system would not be given as wide access. Once again going back to other applications. Netflix and other streaming services all the processing is done on the server side and doesn't require hefty resources of your system which is why an Ipad can run Netflix, the only issue you may see there is game lag if you're playing online.

In closing, as an entertainment consumption device there isn't a heck of a lot you could consume simultaneously which would overload the system, and if you reach that limit Microsoft may task Hyper-V to manage the processes it deems need to be closed for smooth system operation. You should be fine multi-tasking.

jcknapier711

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#14  Edited By jcknapier711
Member since 2012 • 470 Posts

@xhawk27 said:

Yay! I'm 13! I have my whole life ahead of me and can undo all the f0rk ups I've done!

Blu3V3nom07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Blu3V3nom07
Member since 2008 • 30 Posts

Both consoles are actually getting TV capabilities. PlayStation TV?

XxAK47xX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 XxAK47xX
Member since 2005 • 5003 Posts

@Jaysonguy: yea so both of them are running background apps. Microsoft is a software company so they have a lot if background with that type if stuff. Even if it's not at launch the is will keep getting better and faster