Would you ditch the Kinect if it means more power?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Edited by kingoflife9 (1987 posts) -

So apparently the Kinect is causing developers some trouble, the X1 reserves some of its power for the Kinect, I believe its 10%. This means that they can't access the X1's full power potential and thus causes games to run at lower resolution and or framerate than what the developers intended.

I was one who was actually very excited about the tv and multimedia features that the X1 offered, I wanted my game console to do a lot more than just play games, BUT I also want my games to take full advantage of the X1 hardware. After all it IS a game console. What do you think, would you rather MS ditch the Kinect entirely if it means better resolution and smoother framerate, or are you willing to sacrifice that in order to enjoy the multimedia functions?

And by the way, simply turning off the Kinect doesn't work, its programmed in the X1 to use some of its power for the Kinect no matter if you have it plugged in or not.

#2 Posted by sukraj (22296 posts) -

Yes I would.

#3 Posted by k2theswiss (16599 posts) -

didn't MS said they unlocked that 10% for devs?

BUT anyways no, i want kinect to grow

#4 Posted by roboticdaz (8 posts) -

no kinect is a cool feature which will get better and better as time goes on

#5 Posted by Sophette (508 posts) -

I'm not really a Microsoft fan, but surely they compensated for this during the initial design of the hardware. Even though it does use some dedicated processing power and RAM, much like the DVR features, it isn't a new issue to developers and the system should have more than enough processing power and RAM to compensate the hit.

Given time, it will become even less of an issue. Now on the 360, Kinect was causing a real hit because the system was designed before Kinect, and there weren't as many resources to spread out. They've learned their lesson this time around (hopefully) and that eight core processor, which I'm assuming as least one of them will be dedicated to Kinect should make game performance comparable across both next gen systems. I don't want either system to fail, but I wouldn't worry about Kinect hurting the system, they implemented it from the start this time around.

#6 Posted by BlizzardMan8890 (8 posts) -

The kinect will be smashed as soon as i open the box. I dont want kinect never have wanted it. I just want a gaming console. If i want to turn on the tv i will simply reach over and press the power button on my remote. How fat and lazy ate we getting in america today that we cant reach a foot to turn on the tv? My kinect will never be connected to my xbone.

#7 Edited by k2theswiss (16599 posts) -

The kinect will be smashed as soon as i open the box. I dont want kinect never have wanted it. I just want a gaming console. If i want to turn on the tv i will simply reach over and press the power button on my remote. How fat and lazy ate we getting in america today that we cant reach a foot to turn on the tv? My kinect will never be connected to my xbone.

if you think kinect is to turn your t.v on so you don't have to reach. May i suggest you reconsider your future?

#8 Posted by EnoshimaJunko (200 posts) -

Yeah I'd ditch the Kinect. I've never cared much for it, or for motion control stuff in general.

#9 Edited by BlizzardMan8890 (8 posts) -

@k2theswiss: if you think kinect is to turn your t.v on so you don't have to reach. May i suggest you reconsider your future? ................ I know what the kinect is for and i want no part of it. I dont play stupid motion sensor games and i dont care to have kinect recognize me and talk to it. It takes 10 seconds to turn on the xbox and load my profile. Y would you need kinect to do it for you? Also i dont care to have the goverment watching me while i am playing video games. Worst idea microsoft ever had.

#10 Posted by superclocked (5823 posts) -

I like the vision of the future, but we're not quite there yet. I would rather have a console powerful enough for 3D first..

And many people aren't going to want Kinect until they see it progress to being used like this for games...

#11 Posted by Alucard_Prime (2766 posts) -

Assuming there's any truth to that 10% thing, and with so many other factors at play here(drivers, etc.), no I would not want to trade Kinect for a 10% boost in overall power. The brain quickly adapts to a new graphical standard, the 10% difference would not be very noticeable and at the end of the day will barely affect your overall enjoyment or game experience.

But with Kinect implementation it opens up possibilities to enhance the gaming experience in different and innovative ways. What Kinect will bring to the table will be more noticeable to your gaming experience than that 10% power difference imo.

#12 Posted by Alucard_Prime (2766 posts) -

Here's what I recommend, since you will have the device and you would have paid for it, how about trying it out a bit with a few different games before putting it away?

#13 Edited by The_Last_Ride (70921 posts) -

i would buy X1 if they ditch the Kinect

#14 Posted by Cpt_Amurrica (23 posts) -
#15 Posted by k2theswiss (16599 posts) -
#16 Posted by MathMattS (4002 posts) -

Given the choice, yeah, I would ditch Kinect. But I don't mind them including it. I've never tried Kinect, so it will be interesting to see what it's like.

And from what I was reading, the power advantage of the PS4 over the XBone is slight. It's really not that big a deal to me. The XBone could very well trump the PS4 just in games and sales. I think they'll both be good systems, but I've had a great experience on the XBox 360 and there's nothing on the PS4 that interests me. So go XBox One!

#17 Posted by 3eyedrazorback (16373 posts) -

I could do without the Kinect most times, but I think that if I were to really sit down with it, I could have fun with it. I just really haven't dived in to all that it can do, speaking from 360 experience. Perhaps I can really delve into the mystical powers of the Kinect in a month.

#18 Posted by kingoflife9 (1987 posts) -

Assuming there's any truth to that 10% thing, and with so many other factors at play here(drivers, etc.), no I would not want to trade Kinect for a 10% boost in overall power. The brain quickly adapts to a new graphical standard, the 10% difference would not be very noticeable and at the end of the day will barely affect your overall enjoyment or game experience.

But with Kinect implementation it opens up possibilities to enhance the gaming experience in different and innovative ways. What Kinect will bring to the table will be more noticeable to your gaming experience than that 10% power difference imo.

Not to sound brutal, but are you fucking kidding me? You want your brain to adapt to shittier graphics? Every time I get a next gen console I love to marvel at the graphical leap. And because of the Kinect the X1 won't have as big a leap as I had hoped. Now COD Ghost is going to run at only 720p and so is BF4.

#19 Posted by sethschroeder07 (820 posts) -

@Alucard_Prime said:

Not to sound brutal, but are you fucking kidding me? You want your brain to adapt to shittier graphics? Every time I get a next gen console I love to marvel at the graphical leap. And because of the Kinect the X1 won't have as big a leap as I had hoped. Now COD Ghost is going to run at only 720p and so is BF4.

Ummm what proof do you have if anything that the graphics would get better because there is no kinect?

Also from some quick research they putting in a 10% cap hard division which they actually are going to open up more to the game. This 10% is used not ONLY for the Kinect but also for snap mode and other system options like the live menu and friend notice it would seem.
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-microsoft-to-unlock-more-gpu-power-for-xbox-one-developers

If all you want to do is game with a controller get a PS4, if you want motion controls, voice controls, multi-tasking system with apps, and possibly other things not yet known than the XboxONE is the way to go. In the end 10% will not be the end number for sure they simply wanted to reserve system resource to make sure they are able to do the multi-tasking they want to achieve. As snap and Skype and all those other apps are perfected for speed I would assume they drop that number.

#20 Edited by XxAK47xX (4705 posts) -

@sethschroeder07: shhhh don't tell him. We don't need another outsider on the platform.

#21 Edited by kingoflife9 (1987 posts) -

@XxAK47xX: yea, I had the xbox and 360. your mommy probably bought you a 360 just last year.

#22 Posted by YD_11 (1652 posts) -

No, i'm glad its in every box. Now all games can utilize to some extent. The possibilities that come from that are exciting to think about.

#23 Posted by magicalclick (22503 posts) -

Don't know what to make out of the resource reserve due to running two OSs in hyperV. But, I favor standard Kinect. It will bring much better integrated motion voice experience that you won't get on other platform. Although I think they should have run single Win8 OS instead of two. I don't see why the game OS has to be separated. What is so special about dedicated OS for game?

#24 Posted by XxAK47xX (4705 posts) -

@kingoflife9: well no i bought my 360 on launch day and it was a 50/50 split with me and my mom. Now i have a xbox one launch console with 6 games and an extra controller pre-ordered and all paid off by my self to have on day one.. see i'm a big kid now. you were almost right....more like 25% right

#25 Edited by HAMMERCLAW (49 posts) -

@kingoflife9:

Would you castrate yourself if someone guaranteed you great riches?

#26 Edited by kingoflife9 (1987 posts) -

@XxAK47xX said:

@kingoflife9: well no i bought my 360 on launch day and it was a 50/50 split with me and my mom. Now i have a xbox one launch console with 6 games and an extra controller pre-ordered and all paid off by my self to have on day one.. see i'm a big kid now. you were almost right....more like 25% right

congrats, I have it pre ordered as well, but planning to cancel because I don't want to play BF4 at 720p, or Cod.

#27 Edited by XxAK47xX (4705 posts) -
#28 Edited by kingoflife9 (1987 posts) -
#29 Posted by Nintendo_Man (19629 posts) -

I was not impressed with the current Kinect so I will see how it is to see if it was worth being added on.

#32 Posted by ChiefFreeman (5518 posts) -

Yes, if Microsoft had any smarts, they would have made Kinect optional, and indtead opted for a better GPU or Ram. Forcing a stupid camera on people who don't want it is going to doom the Xbox One.

#33 Posted by Shmiity (5060 posts) -

Yes. Dump these gaming gimmicks and motion garbage. Just make good games. I'm begging developers. Please just make good games. I would love it if developers just stopped trying to develop for Kinect/Move/Wii, so they would go away.

#34 Posted by jekyll (9140 posts) -

@Shmiity:

@Shmiity said:

Yes. Dump these gaming gimmicks and motion garbage. Just make good games. I'm begging developers. Please just make good games. I would love it if developers just stopped trying to develop for Kinect/Move/Wii, so they would go away.

The problem is, you'd be throwing out good games that are made even better by smart inclusion of Kinect. That's the ultimate future of Kinect; not being used as an afterthought (though some games surely would use it 'just because it's there'), but being used in inventive ways to make games awesome.

#35 Posted by BattleSpectre (5966 posts) -

Nah I wouldn't ditch it because I wouldn't mind someone spying on me, as long as it's a cute girl that is mwahahahahahhahahaha.

:l

#36 Posted by STLmemrie (8 posts) -

I don't care for the connect as it pertains to gaming. But I do like the audio cues we can give it. That isn't to say I don't see it's potential, it's just not here quite yet.

#37 Posted by DeltaSpartan339 (3 posts) -

@kingoflife9: Yes, I would rather have a higher powered X1 than have someone at Microsoft watching me play Titanfall in my livingroom.

#38 Posted by Draign (593 posts) -

If I wanted something different I would buy the PS4. I like it the way it is.

#39 Edited by RimacBugatti (1194 posts) -

I will never use the Kinect as it will stay in the box forever. Unless of course I find a different use for it. But it will neverbe hooked up to Xbox One for certain. I don't even have a web cam on my PC. Never will although I'm sure they watch me through the laptop and tablet. But een though Kinect uses a percentage let's not forget that the CPU runs faster than PS4 CPU due to the overclock. That may make a slight difference.

#40 Edited by Master_Of_Fools (1335 posts) -

You guys and your damn POWER!!! New game system should mean new innovation. (Shakes head and walks away)