wireless Adapter,why is it so dang expensive?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by Ed_The_Great (193 posts) -
I want to get one but a hundred dollars is a little too pricey.Why is MS caharging so much for something the other consoles get for free and does anyone knows where I can get a good deal?
#2 Posted by gagit811 (3569 posts) -
its not just a regular wifi adapter, it is a wireless bridge. its almost like a direct connection setup, less chance of outside interference.
#3 Posted by HellRazer360 (2692 posts) -
its not just a regular wifi adapter, it is a wireless bridge. its almost like a direct connection setup, less chance of outside interference.gagit811
okay so what you pay 100 dollars for a more secure connection even though ive had no problem so far with my ps3 wifi????i think ill keep my 100
#4 Posted by gagit811 (3569 posts) -
[QUOTE="gagit811"]its not just a regular wifi adapter, it is a wireless bridge. its almost like a direct connection setup, less chance of outside interference.HellRazer360
okay so what you pay 100 dollars for a more secure connection even though ive had no problem so far with my ps3 wifi????i think ill keep my 100

no its just M$ way of over charging for what should have been in the 360 from day 1. but the wifi adapter is not too over priced if you look you how much wireless bridge adapters cost, they go from $80 on up.
#5 Posted by FrostyGopher (414 posts) -
I bought mine when it was $129, Yeah, it was expensive, but it was really my only option. It does provide a great connection however.
#6 Posted by HellRazer360 (2692 posts) -
[QUOTE="HellRazer360"][QUOTE="gagit811"]its not just a regular wifi adapter, it is a wireless bridge. its almost like a direct connection setup, less chance of outside interference.gagit811

no its just M$ way of over charging for what should have been in the 360 from day 1. but the wifi adapter is not too over priced if you look you how much wireless bridge adapters cost, they go from $80 on up.

ya and i effin hate microsoft for that...i prefer a wired connection anyway..i always feel more secure that way
#7 Posted by bwooduhs (102 posts) -
the same reason why the hard drives are expensive, because there the only ones that work with the 360 so they charge whatever they want.
#8 Posted by jensen_slipknot (2559 posts) -
yeah i know it sucks. but i have one and i works great. its worth it.
#9 Posted by abe491 (410 posts) -
if you have a laptop, you dont need to but the $100 adaptor
#10 Posted by kaycon11 (442 posts) -
I want to get one but a hundred dollars is a little too pricey.Why is MS caharging so much for something the other consoles get for free and does anyone knows where I can get a good deal?Ed_The_Great
Because its the best wireless internet device Ive ever had, no joke. I think its worth it, but its up to you.
#11 Posted by Ed_The_Great (193 posts) -
THANKS FOR THE HELP GUYS.It sounds like a good product but does M$ really have to make a profit out of this?$400 for the console,$100 adapter,and $50 for live.I guss I'm going to have to buy one.
#12 Posted by nightseed (14 posts) -
Well, might be too late, but if you have a laptop with a wireless connection, you can use it as a router for your xbox
#13 Posted by vendettared468 (4437 posts) -

the same reason why the hard drives are expensive, because there the only ones that work with the 360 so they charge whatever they want.bwooduhs

that's not true, other routers work too. I use the first party one though and it has worked without problems and i get a great connection.

#14 Posted by Agreb91 (7166 posts) -
I just use a simple wired connection. And that works great too!
#15 Posted by seduff (17 posts) -
They are expensive, that's why i have the 360 on a Wired connection.
#16 Posted by barilli71 (1261 posts) -
I think there is candy inside
#17 Posted by Einn0d (20 posts) -
It's probably one of the reasons why i still don't have live, but i can live without it for now. And i am unable to do a wired connection be my router is too far away.
#18 Posted by SuperBeast (13227 posts) -
Just set up a wired connection. Extremely easy to do, much easier than most people think......I have my entire house wired with ethernet jacks, most cables running through the attic.
#19 Posted by Spirit_Warriors (1468 posts) -

[QUOTE="gagit811"]its not just a regular wifi adapter, it is a wireless bridge. its almost like a direct connection setup, less chance of outside interference.HellRazer360

Then keep it -_- no one said u had to buy it. If you would rather just wire it up, so be it, otherwise get wireless. It's not that expensive

#20 Posted by MeStinkBAD (70 posts) -

$100? 2 Pricy? Gosh I remember back in 2000 when Apple released their original Airport Wireless Networking base station. It was the first mainstream wireless networking device released. The cost? $400. Plus $200 for a wireless card for the desktop, and another $200 for a wireless adapter for the laptop. $800 in all. For a 802.11b network. Now you ask me, did I think it was worth it? Hell yes! Being able to walk around w/ a laptop and still have access to my local network and the internet felt like something I had been yearning for years and never knew it! This was 8 years ago. You wanted to use the net... you had to plug your computer into a wall. There was little choice. That $800 though changed all that.

Now w/ the 360's wireless networking adapter, it maybe $100. But when attached it becomes a natiural part of the console. Sure u could use an external bridge. You would have to first set it up seperately from the xbox. And after what would most likey be a troublesome, time intensive setting things up so it worked, it would still need it's own power supply. More wires!

It's a lot easier getting your 360 connected 2 your wireless network becaise you configure it from the same blade u would setup up a wired connectoin. It's like the PS3's built in wifi adapter. The setup is much easier. Indeed this is as close as the 360 comes to having the wifi built in (which it should habe all along IMO but nevermind that).

Just buy it. You'll probably find yourself pleasently surprised. And trust me, it's better to have a high quality higher cost adapter than a low cost cheapy that'll burn out in six months...

#21 Posted by Avenger1324 (16344 posts) -
I prefer to use a wired connection. It's more secure, and the cable came with my console.
#22 Posted by matt3456 (326 posts) -
I got mine used at gamestop for like $70. I love it.
#23 Posted by VladTheImpaler (1028 posts) -

I want to get one but a hundred dollars is a little too pricey.Why is MS caharging so much for something the other consoles get for free and does anyone knows where I can get a good deal?Ed_The_Great

Why does Sony not give people HDMI cables with their consoles. They basically say come play our 1080p system, but 1080p equipment sold seperatly.

You do no have to use the $100 one. My little bro uses my old one from my original xbox. It is a Lnksys wireless gaming adapter that you can get for like 30 bucks or less on E-BAY, and it works just as good as my $100 one.

#24 Posted by kyletoker (483 posts) -
I bought mine when it was $129, Yeah, it was expensive, but it was really my only option. It does provide a great connection however.FrostyGopher
same with me on launch day... but im fine with it ive never had a problem
#25 Posted by profbooger (183 posts) -
I also use the wireless adapter from the original Xbox and it works well. You can probably find it for cheap if you look around, the only problem is it has a seperate power cord.
#26 Posted by Sgt_Politeness (276 posts) -

THANKS FOR THE HELP GUYS.It sounds like a good product but does M$ really have to make a profit out of this?$400 for the console,$100 adapter,and $50 for live.I guss I'm going to have to buy one.Ed_The_Great

Does Microsoft have to make a profit? Uh... Yes?

The adapter is worth it. If it's your only way of getting connected to Live, buy it. Live is definitely worth the extra $150 you'd be spending.

#27 Posted by TheAcejoel99 (1059 posts) -
can't you just buy a realy long ether net cable (like 50ft) for like $39.99 if you are ok with a cord hanging around.
#28 Posted by b11051973 (7619 posts) -

They have the market cornered with this thing. If you want a clean, USB install, this is your only option. I would just look for one used or something. You can get it for cheaper, but still expensive for what it is. I got one the day I bought my 360 around release. I don't regret it one bit. The thing works great and is much slicker than an external device.

Funny thing is the 360 is the only videogame console out now that doesn't have built in WiFi. The PSP, DS, PS3 and Wii all have it.

#29 Posted by ag3ntz3rox0x (1534 posts) -
ive had it forever and its amzing bro. your getting your moneys worth trust me. my step dads modem is so far away from my room and yet i still never lag. its worth it.
#30 Posted by abdullah1154 (192 posts) -

if you have a laptop, you dont need to but the $100 adaptorabe491
that's what i use and it works fine

#31 Posted by Hulkness (1271 posts) -

ive had it forever and its amzing bro. your getting your moneys worth trust me. my step dads modem is so far away from my room and yet i still never lag. its worth it.ag3ntz3rox0x

Same here man my wireless router is in the basement like a 50ft ethernet cord could barely fit it was off the ground yet the adapter gets me green bar its amazing.

#32 Posted by Hulkness (1271 posts) -

[QUOTE="abe491"]if you have a laptop, you dont need to but the $100 adaptorabdullah1154

How does that work?

#33 Posted by jimm895 (7703 posts) -
That's how they have made the money they have now, but a lot of people are getting wise and not buying into there high dollar gadgets. I had a wireless wifi from day one with my console and the nice thing is it was built in and was part of the system along with everything else that should be in all consoles. You can guess which system I have.
#34 Posted by IppotheFighter (1007 posts) -
Sheep all of you.
#35 Posted by Ghost_702 (7405 posts) -
Everyone just calm down. It's $100 dollars, it isn't gonna change anytime soon. You don't like it, get over it. You do like it, then good for you. End of discussion.
#36 Posted by Canvas_Of_Flesh (4052 posts) -
It all really depends upon how much you'll be using your 360 online. I use my PS3 for online gaming because it's free, so I really only download demos and videos to my 360. I was going to buy the wireless adapter, but when I saw it was 100 bucks I just figured it'd be easier to lug my console upstairs and hook it up to the internet every month. I don't really see anything in Xbox Live that warrants another 150 dollars, in my opinion.
#37 Posted by abdullah1154 (192 posts) -
[QUOTE="abdullah1154"]

[QUOTE="abe491"]if you have a laptop, you dont need to but the $100 adaptorHulkness

How does that work?

just plug a Internet cable from the 360 to your laptop
#38 Posted by TacoLover123 (6 posts) -

Two words: Bill Gates.

#39 Posted by RobboElRobbo (13668 posts) -

It is overpriced, but useful.

#40 Posted by krunkfu2 (4218 posts) -

if you have a wifi laptop you can use it to bridge the connection to your 360

I wonder if you can use a ps3 to do it too, but i don't have a ps3

#41 Posted by DavidRswii (1210 posts) -
its not just a regular wifi adapter, it is a wireless bridge. its almost like a direct connection setup, less chance of outside interference.gagit811
I never knew that???But why is that I get disconnected from xbox live at random times? And yea 100 bukcs seems too pricey and it probobly takes them 10 bucks to actually make it haha XD
#42 Posted by xkojimax (1082 posts) -
EBAY my friend.
#43 Posted by sebas117 (169 posts) -
Hey can you help me out a little I'm going to connect to Live with a wired connection and I have no attic. So can you like tell menhow to set up one it would really help please.
#44 Posted by KR6716 (925 posts) -
It is also the most reliable Xbox product. My friends who have it have had to buy so many new things for the Xbox from power brick to HDD to the wired/wireless headstes but never have any of them had to buy a new adapter.
#45 Posted by Sonny360Elite (1572 posts) -
Because It's awesome... wait for the new one to come out and get that.
#46 Posted by jrhawk42 (12764 posts) -

The wireless adapter is expensive because it's a barrier to entry. If the wireless adapter was cheaper than more people would use it, and XBL would turn to crap.

Also ms makes less of a profit by having the adapter at a premium price. Hypothetically let's say the wireless adapter costs 20$ to make. So ms makes $80 per unit sold. Since the price is so high they sell very few (about 1/100 users). If they lowered the price to $40 they would probably sell about 20/100 users. So basic math tells us that $400 ($20X20 users) profit is greater than $80 profit. MS is actually sacrificing easy profit for the greater good of the community.