Why doesn't Xbox make a portable game system?

• 52 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by 3dfd (767 posts) -

Sony does, Nintendo does, why not Xbox?

#2 Posted by Blueresident87 (5195 posts) -

Because alll they would do is lose money. Nintendo and Sony would outsell them like crazy.

#3 Posted by k2theswiss (16598 posts) -
sony and Nintendo has a hold on the market. it would be useless go that route. THEN on top of that. gaming handhelds are on the way out. Tablets is where it is.
#4 Posted by demonic_85 (1395 posts) -

The mobile market is already hard enough with Nintendo and Sony in the game, but then you also have to consider other devices like tablets, phones, etc. Microsoft already has some Xbox Live integration with Windows phones.

#5 Posted by Jaysonguy (37416 posts) -

They do, it's called Windows phone 7

I don't understand why no one understands this

Handhelds have failed, they are dead, there is no reason to invest in dead tech

#6 Posted by scorch-62 (29741 posts) -
At this point, Microsoft would have to pull a rabbit out of their hat to get a hold in the market at this point.
#7 Posted by om3g4_prim3 (110 posts) -

well, I can tell you this.... it is a huge investment to even start to manufacture hardware, and OS, and other mechanics related to processing a new handheld unit. the XBOX is still struggling in the console market (at least over seas, as its only REALLY popular here in the US). MS talked about it previously, but I believe they will go that route as you can see that their OS for phones Windows phone 7/8 is taking off. i am sure that a hand held will use this OS if it ever becomes available, but MS is still an infant when compared to the other veterans in the gaming business ((*sony / Nintendo*)). Eventually, they will probably release a hand held, but timing has always been everything for MS. Patience.

#8 Posted by FeiYenKen (247 posts) -

Because Microsoft don't why umad portable ****

#9 Posted by Megavideogamer (5242 posts) -

It is too late for Microsoft to enter portable gaming. I always thought the idea of a portable Xbox would be great but MS never made one. A gaming centric computer tablet would be great for Microsoft. Their is one such device in the works, with proper gaming controls I am suprised that MS didn't release such a device. Maybe they could team up with them?

Ithasn't been worth it for MS to do so. (even though they could have released a portable Xbox with the original Xbox processing power for a somewhat cost effective price)

#10 Posted by NeonNinja (17318 posts) -

Smartphones are the future, man. There's a reason for Windows Phone.

#11 Posted by Doctor_Dino (37 posts) -
Because the market is already saturated between Sony and Nintendo and smartphones.
#12 Posted by soapman72 (2713 posts) -

I would much rather play my NES portalbe...Its not a gameboy

#13 Posted by jonleeprice (1487 posts) -

Because xbox isnt a company!

#14 Posted by willzthegamer (97 posts) -
Gaming on a smartphone... please... Well, the competition is very tough in the world of portable gaming so I'm guessing Microsoft doesn't want to gamble the risk of emptying their pockets.
#15 Posted by merv_wasted (290 posts) -

The mobile market is already hard enough with Nintendo and Sony in the game, but then you also have to consider other devices like tablets, phones, etc. Microsoft already has some Xbox Live integration with Windows phones.

demonic_85

I agree ..Android has come up with so many good games and most of them are free and even paid games are hardly expensive .. I even forgot that I have a PSP after I got my Galaxy s2 last year.

#16 Posted by NaturalDisplay (548 posts) -

Wow I can't believe some people actually think that smartphone gaming is the way to go.

#17 Posted by kungfool69 (2573 posts) -

They do, it's called Windows phone 7

I don't understand why no one understands this

Handhelds have failed, they are dead, there is no reason to invest in dead tech

Jaysonguy

was gonna say xbox dont make things because xbox is the console, MICROSOFT is the company :D

anyway, i am the only one at my store out of 34 people who own a winphone (HD7, and out of the phones in my telco section ther is only one winphone avaialbe from telstra at the moment (HD7). when i use my phone for a calculator or price checker (internet access) in front of customers, they always ask what type of iphone is that!? NO ONE HERE IN AUSTRALIA KNOWS WHAT WP7 IS.....

#18 Posted by willzthegamer (97 posts) -

Wow I can't believe some people actually think that smartphone gaming is the way to go.

NaturalDisplay
+1. It's ridiculous.
#19 Posted by Jaysonguy (37416 posts) -

NaturalDisplay

Hmmmm

Handheld gaming systems sold in 2011: 40 million

Smartphones sold in 2011: Over 120 million

So even though handhelds are dead you think they're the way to go. Selling less then one third is the direction you think is sound.

Well if the future is about poor sales crippling a company then you have the perfect blueprint

#20 Posted by gamerfreak1991 (2501 posts) -
They don't need one.
#21 Posted by KBFloYd (12775 posts) -

sony has been a gaming comapny since 1994...nintendo since 1983.. microsoft? 2002...see the difference? maybe next gen they will wet their beak..

#22 Posted by TheManofTin (333 posts) -

I think because there doesn't seem to be a need to. It would just be another console to buy (or not to buy). Sony and Nintendo and all those mobile games would rape it anyways. And besides, as much as I love my Xbox, would could they possibly put on the handheld that we haven't seen before. Halo, Gears, and Forza shouldn't be the only exclusives you have. There would be nothing this Xbox handheld that you cannot get from the PS Vita and 3DS really.

#23 Posted by Jaysonguy (37416 posts) -

sony has been a gaming comapny since 1994...nintendo since 1983.. microsoft? 2002...see the difference? maybe next gen they will wet their beak..

KBFloYd

That means nothing

There is no correlation between how long a company has been in business and what products they offer

If what you said was even remotely true then according to your timeline Sony would have offered handheld gaming in 2000

#24 Posted by COG_Army (13 posts) -
I think their Android phones are pretty much as good as a Hand Held or maybe they are not allowing everyone to be sucked in to games when they need to be studying for school ~.^
#25 Posted by Keving7 (1028 posts) -

Nintendo dominates the market. Look at how hard it is for the Sony handheld to get ANY respect. The Vita is being wrecked by critics and it hasn't even come out yet. Not worth it to come into a crowded market, especially with very weak 1st party support

#27 Posted by soapman72 (2713 posts) -

...BA...

#28 Posted by tjricardo089 (7429 posts) -

Because alll they would do is lose money. Nintendo and Sony would outsell them like crazy.

Blueresident87

Sony would outsell them? Sounds legit, especially with the Vita that was a huge sucess (/irony)

#29 Posted by KBFloYd (12775 posts) -

[QUOTE="KBFloYd"]

Jaysonguy

That means nothing

There is no correlation between how long a company has been in business and what products they offer

If what you said was even remotely true then according to your timeline Sony would have offered handheld gaming in 2000

we'll see about that...

#30 Posted by kungfool69 (2573 posts) -

[QUOTE="KBFloYd"]

Jaysonguy

That means nothing

nintendo can be dated back in hte late 1800's with card games......doesnt make them good at poker though

#31 Posted by speedfog (2865 posts) -

Smartphones maaan.

#32 Posted by penpusher (3573 posts) -

Sony does, Nintendo does, why not Xbox?

3dfd
How many more of these posts asking this exact question are there going to be before people take in the answer? lol Its because the handheld market is HUGE and MS dont see the risk as being worth it. Just look at sony, they practically had to bludgen their way into the market. MS probably werent re-assured by this. Theres also the Windows phones to take into account, MS seem to be concentrating on that.
#33 Posted by NirdBerd (2116 posts) -

NaturalDisplay

I know right? :/

I bet they prefer web/flash games to actual games lol

#34 Posted by Jaysonguy (37416 posts) -

[QUOTE="NaturalDisplay"]

NirdBerd

I know right? :/

I bet they prefer web/flash games to actual games lol

So you're another one that thinks making less money is a good thing?

I thought it was an isolated case

#35 Posted by Megaflush24 (173 posts) -
Well not everyone is buying a smartphone for gaming... So the numbers are kind of inaccurate if you are looking at buying to play games. I think there is opportunity for Microsoft and the idea isn't so obscene. There is money to be made.
#36 Posted by bonesawisready5 (4576 posts) -
They don't have any confidence in WP7 by releasing first party games and apps on competiting smartphone platforms, so why on earth would they make a handheld game console?
#37 Posted by Ghost_702 (7405 posts) -
Games on your smart phone are becoming more and more popular, competing with handheld gaming systems. I believe it's going to become less viable to make handheld systems in the future and put more focus on phones (if that hasn't happened already). Why didn't MS make one years ago though? I don't know.
#38 Posted by magicalclick (22240 posts) -
see my sig, I am playing Xbox portable games in my gamercard.
#39 Posted by GarnetDust (49 posts) -
Nintendo and Sony have been around for awhile, so they have their extremities when it comes to fandom.... many people would eat it up. Xbox is now being recognized to a bigger public finally after it being around for the longest of time, that people are seeing its potential. I think after some time, they'll think of something even better. That's my personal opinion, though.
#40 Posted by Axt428 (78 posts) -

hand held isnt needed, i have an htc trophy wp7 the games are arcade games with achievements on it so its like a bonus. play games like you normally would on your phone and get achievements in the process win win

#41 Posted by ebrezzy1 (1403 posts) -
they don't have enough devs to really spread around like that it would really take away from there main focus the console I don't see them making a real attempt at it like Sony n Nintendo anytime soon
#42 Posted by lilasianwonder (5960 posts) -
They know they it would not be able to compete with Nintendo. Sadly Sony is still trying.
#43 Posted by OhSnapitz (17951 posts) -

As already mentioned the Handheld market is very competitive and M$ already missed their window. The "New Hotness" comes in the form of Andriod/Iphone's and Tablets. Not sure if the Windows Phone 8 is a reality but.. that will be your "handheld"..

#44 Posted by Ghost120x (3652 posts) -

I believe it could work depending on how well the ps vita sells. If the vita sells well it may prove that there is a large market for high end portable gaming. Also given the right support and live integration with the xbox and phone it can be a well "connected" device where you can socialize and interact with xbox gamers and people on the window phone.

#45 Posted by Demonfail (228 posts) -
sony and Nintendo has a hold on the market. it would be useless go that route. THEN on top of that. gaming handhelds are on the way out. Tablets is where it is.k2theswiss
In all fairness, Nintendo and Sony also had a hold on the console market before the Xbox came out.
#46 Posted by donalbane (16139 posts) -
Maybe the tested the waters with the Zune, and realized they can't compete in the portable device realm. I still love my Zune, but I seem to be in the minority.
#47 Posted by eorde (6 posts) -

See then Windows 8 came out. The world hated it but it created new opportunity for mobile devices. It's time. Xbox needs to make a portable device.

#48 Posted by TwistedShade (3123 posts) -

There's no market for Sony and Nintendo's portables as is. The Playstation Vita is an immense failure that can't compete with what Phones and Tablets are offering these days. The 3DS is successful but that isn't a surprise since Nintendo is good at handhelds. Microsoft had enough trouble pushing out a consistent quality of first party titles on the Xbox 360, they don't need a handheld to add to that trouble. Not to mention they have Windows Phone 8, and Windows 8 Tablets to do that in a way.

#49 Edited by RimacBugatti (1172 posts) -

Well if they were going to get in now would be the time since PSVITA is failing. As far as gaming on a Tablet, well gaming on a Tablet isn't the same. Have you ever played GT6 or BF4 on a Tablet? Tablet gaming is lacking in every aspect.

#50 Edited by commandokock (496 posts) -

because microsoft knows nintendo is the only company that can make a good handheld so why waste the effort?