Why Doesnt Microsoft Have A Handheld System?? :l

This topic is locked from further discussion.

ill-thoughts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 ill-thoughts
Member since 2005 • 3059 Posts

its been about 10 years, i would really like to know why this guy with all the money in the worldhas not thought of this...

chaoz-king

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2 chaoz-king
Member since 2005 • 5956 Posts
They don't want to?
ill-thoughts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 ill-thoughts
Member since 2005 • 3059 Posts
do they know how much money they would make from doing so???
CammiTac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 CammiTac
Member since 2011 • 1179 Posts

do they know how much money they would make from doing so???ill-thoughts

Are you sure that they would?

They do have the Windows 7 Phone or whatever it is called, and I think they might consider that their handheld.

El_Zo1212o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 El_Zo1212o
Member since 2009 • 6057 Posts
Read somewhere that they're sticking to the mobile game space with windows phone 7 because the handheld space would be too hard to break into, what with 3DS from Nintendo(reigning handheld kings since the inception of handheld gaming) and the Vita from Sony(pushing a current gen console into the handheld space).
Avatar image for deactivated-589cfb21cbc03
deactivated-589cfb21cbc03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 deactivated-589cfb21cbc03
Member since 2009 • 840 Posts

nintendo has made several handheld consoles (game boy, game boy color, game boy advance, game boy advance sp, ds, 3ds) and sony has made 2 handheld consoles so i'm surprised microsoft hasn't yet. if microsoft is serious about the game industry and really wants to beat sony then they will make a handheld console but i just don't see microsoft making one

Paynee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Paynee
Member since 2008 • 851 Posts

Read somewhere that they're sticking to the mobile game space with windows phone 7 because the handheld space would be too hard to break into, what with 3DS from Nintendo(reigning handheld kings since the inception of handheld gaming) and the Vita from Sony(pushing a current gen console into the handheld space).El_Zo1212o

I agree with this. Also I've noticed when I'm out an about that people are playing games on their iphone or droid.

I can't even remember the last time I saw someone on the bus or store playing with a DS or the PSP.

gcfreak898

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 gcfreak898
Member since 2003 • 2031 Posts

Because if microsoft made a handheld. There would be no more compitition. 8)

Adam_the_Nerd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#9 Adam_the_Nerd
Member since 2006 • 4403 Posts
I think they were trying to get a Zune Portable going that would have support for XBLA games, because I remember the Zune HD promising 3D games. Therefore, it seemed like they were going to base their launching a handheld on the success of the Zune HD. As you can no doubt tell, the Zune HD tanked in the market and they probably felt a portable system had a chance of failure too.
chaoz-king

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 chaoz-king
Member since 2005 • 5956 Posts
I just don't get handhelds. I never really see a time or reason to play them. If I'm at home I'd rather play my Xbox or PS3 if I'm out of my house I probably don't want to play games.
sagejonathan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#11 sagejonathan
Member since 2011 • 519 Posts

They cant compete with Sony and Nintendo.

Arteza147

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Arteza147
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts
Because they make computers instead.
Gen007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#13 Gen007
Member since 2006 • 11006 Posts

theres no market share for them in the hand held arena. Breaking in would be extremely tuff since Nintendo basically owns it while sony is picking up the scraps. At this point MS wouldnt even have sraps to feed on.

limpbizkit818

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#14 limpbizkit818
Member since 2004 • 15044 Posts
They are going for the phone/gaming market with windows phone 7. You can tie your gamer tag to the thing and unlock achievements in some of the games.
cprmauldin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#15 cprmauldin
Member since 2009 • 1567 Posts

Phones and Laptops.

Enid_Green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Enid_Green
Member since 2010 • 1261 Posts

Because the market is already saturated. If they want to venture into handhelds, they'll look into smartphones. Those "app" games are the handheld markets biggest competition.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
deactivated-5e90a3763ea91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#17 deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
Member since 2008 • 9437 Posts

The handheld market is a pretty tough one to break into I guess. Microsoft jumped into consoles at the right time, but handhelds are growing quickly and are already at about the level of technology they were at on consoles 10 years ago. After this handheld gen, it's possible that consoles and handhelds will become one in the same.

I just don't get handhelds. I never really see a time or reason to play them. If I'm at home I'd rather play my Xbox or PS3 if I'm out of my house I probably don't want to play games. chaoz-king
Handheld systems are much more personal. When you have a handheld game system, you have everything right there. The controller, the system, the screen - all in one and all yours. I play mine quite a bit at home too, but I guess that's different for everyone. I find that taking the system outside on a really sunny day is problematic because the screen looks too dim to play. So while it's portable, I use its portability more for walking around the house than I do for venturing to places and whipping my 3DS out to play on it for a few minutes.

Kimimaro_DS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Kimimaro_DS
Member since 2011 • 129 Posts
It was ballsy enough for Sony to try to compete with Nintendo's handheld. I think Microsoft would rather play it safe and avoid that realm entirely.
Gladestone1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Gladestone1
Member since 2004 • 5695 Posts

See the ds from time to time with kids..Once in a blue moon i see girls with the ds..Hardly ever see the psp..Maybe once in awhile, was in the mall a guy was playing 2k10..Asked him why he didnt pick up the jorden game he said he was about to get it same week..When im out ill normally play games on my thunderbolt..Aka angry birds. sims 3, some older games like defender, mini golf exct.Bought my psp 5 years ago..Last game i played was final fantasy..Since than its been collecting dust..Havent even seen any thing to purchase with it..Ill wait and see this time what the psp 2 has to offer before buying one..If companies dont flock to it like the old psp ill not buy one..If microsoft did get a handheld id buy it for sure..Even though of late microsoft is starting to dissapoint me with there linups..

Im getting a funny feeling we seen the last of the big tripple aaa titles..Think most of the next gen games will be on the next xbox..Its really what i think is going on..Mean cmon not much big hits in the last two years really..Very little exclusives for microsoft..Im starting to loose faith..

Avatar image for deactivated-5e7f8a21de9dd
deactivated-5e7f8a21de9dd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

User Lists: 1

#20 deactivated-5e7f8a21de9dd
Member since 2008 • 4403 Posts

They know they can't win.

Duminakan89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#21 Duminakan89
Member since 2005 • 857 Posts
I don't think they should spend money on developing one; Sony is hanging by one string as it is, I don't think Microsoft will do any better.
MathMattS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

#22 MathMattS
Member since 2009 • 4012 Posts

I don't do much in the way of portable gaming. I'm happy with console systems.

Avatar image for deactivated-61cf0c4baf12e
deactivated-61cf0c4baf12e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#23 deactivated-61cf0c4baf12e
Member since 2006 • 6013 Posts

They cant compete with Nintendo.

sagejonathan

Fixed. Nintendo is the king on the handheld ground.

LustForSoul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 LustForSoul
Member since 2011 • 6404 Posts
They'd have to compete against Nintendo and Sony which already have great sales and fans for their handhelds. Unless they make a better gimick than the 3DS, their handheld won't beat the PSV.
BigRigs93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#25 BigRigs93
Member since 2010 • 71 Posts

I think they might release one upon the success of Sony. If Sonys new handheld delivers all it claims (Current Gen gameplay exc in a handheld) then i think Xbox might release one. Or they will release some sort of Andriod thing with the release of Windows 8.

Avatar image for insane_metalist
insane_metalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#26 insane_metalist
Member since 2006 • 7797 Posts

[QUOTE="ill-thoughts"]do they know how much money they would make from doing so???CammiTac

Are you sure that they would?

They do have the Windows 7 Phone or whatever it is called, and I think they might consider that their handheld.

I have an HTC windows 7 phone (zune) and it doesn't count. Although it's great! I can get on xbox live from my phone anytime!

shaunchgo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 shaunchgo
Member since 2006 • 4605 Posts
I just don't get handhelds. I never really see a time or reason to play them. If I'm at home I'd rather play my Xbox or PS3 if I'm out of my house I probably don't want to play games. chaoz-king
I "get them" because I commute to/from work via train into Downtown. I'm on the train 1.5 hrs per day, so it would be nice to have. Currently I read my kindle/news on iPhone. Looking foward to the PSP Vita as reading after a long day of work at the office puts me to sleep!
orb_03_2006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 75

#28 orb_03_2006
Member since 2006 • 8494 Posts
At first I thought it was a stupid idea, but I've came around to it. They need to. If they want to stay in this race, I think it would be essential.