Why do people buy singleplayer games?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Coldzboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 Coldzboy
Member since 2004 • 1959 Posts

Just rent it, beat it, and return it. I'm getting annoyed reading about people wishing they never bought a certain singleplayer game for $60. And with the lengths of campaigns these days on average, it's not even worth it.

Pdiddy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Pdiddy105
Member since 2007 • 4577 Posts

is this thread for real...

93soccer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3 93soccer
Member since 2009 • 4602 Posts
I buy singleplayer games that I can go back and play again because it's fun and I don't always wanna destroy people online :P
Avatar image for DamianAlexander
DamianAlexander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 DamianAlexander
Member since 2008 • 3762 Posts

I'm currently playing Bioshock again for the third time. This game is still amazing. Today I screamed at the top of my lungs because a splicer appeared out of nowhere... I might already know the story, I might not get any new achievements, but the entertainment is still there. This is one of my favorite games, and it doesn't need to be multiplayer for it to be great. Look at Modern Warfare, I can't even go near that game, I'm so sick of the lame strategies used online that I'd rather play Halo Wars. Multiplayer does add a bit of variety to a game because humans will always challenge you with new and better tactics, but a great single player game will always challenge your way of thinking. On this Third time playing I've picked up on things that I never heard the other two times I played this game.

And that my friends is a rant.

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#5 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

I mainly only buy single player games

Multiplayer can be good but for most games they're just a way to make people waste time with mundane busywork in large groups

mywii1999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 mywii1999
Member since 2007 • 165 Posts

Pdiddy105

I think it is but it just seems like a bad joke.

travisstaggs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#7 travisstaggs
Member since 2008 • 10562 Posts

Just rent it, beat it, and return it. I'm getting annoyed reading about people wishing they never bought a certain singleplayer game for $60. And with the lengths of campaigns these days on average, it's not even worth it.

Coldzboy
Seriously? Not everyone wants to rent games and theirs a lot of single player games that are tons of fun, this thread is a bad joke.
Coldzboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Coldzboy

[QUOTE="Pdiddy105"]

mywii1999

A bad joke? :$ this isn't even a joke at all, because you like to waste money buying singleplayer games doesn't mean that everyone wants to...

ThePRAssassin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 ThePRAssassin
Member since 2009 • 1344 Posts

The title doesn't match the basis of your post.

A more suitable title is "Why do idiots waste $60 on a game without doing research" seems more like the question you are asking.

I buy single player games because games with multiplayer suck for the most part. They all have terrible campaigns and the multiplayer this gen sucks, it's aimed towards the "omg if I die I won't play this game anymore because it sucks" crowd.

I'd rather spend $60 on a game that once I beat in 20 hours, I'll probably never play again (Assassin's Creed II) instead of a game that has multiplayer which sucks and an even worse campaign.

jasonharris48

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 jasonharris48
Member since 2006 • 21441 Posts

Well most of the single player titles I play are RPGs. I do not rent RPG's because of how time consuming they can be. Plus I just do not like renting games. I always do bit of research before buying a game if I know I'll play the single game multiple times I do not mind spending the 60 bucks. I.E Resident Evil 5 (yes I know it has online co-op but I didn't play it) I have 70 hrs in that game.

KorruptRaiden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 KorruptRaiden
Member since 2008 • 878 Posts
Why do people buy multiplayer games? they are extremely repetative? Seriously are you that ridiculously blind? I am going to take your advice and not buy final fantasy 13 but rent it for 2 weeks and pay probably $100 in late fees because it will take that long to finish therefore paying more than the game is actually worth and not actually owning the game.
orb_03_2006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 75

#12 orb_03_2006
Member since 2006 • 8494 Posts
I'm really cautious about buying singleplayer games. Games Assassin's Creed 2, Dragon Age: Origins, Mass Effect, and Fallout 3 are among the greatest singleplayer games. Games like that are meant to be play numerous times. I guess it depends on what you're in to.
Coldzboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Coldzboy

Well most of the single player titles I play are RPGs. I do not rent RPG's because of how time consuming they can be. Plus I just do not like renting games.

jasonharris48

I know it's random but I know a dude named Jason Harrison, were you born in 1992?

KorruptRaiden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 KorruptRaiden

The title doesn't match the basis of your post.

A more suitable title is "Why do idiots waste $60 on a game without doing research" seems more like the question you are asking.

I buy single player games because games with multiplayer suck for the most part. They all have terrible campaigns and the multiplayer this gen sucks, it's aimed towards the "omg if I die I won't play this game anymore because it sucks" crowd.

I'd rather spend $60 on a game that once I beat in 20 hours, I'll probably never play again (Assassin's Creed II) instead of a game that has multiplayer which sucks and an even worse campaign.

ThePRAssassin
Yeah I absolutely agree with this.
Coldzboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Coldzboy

Notice how every game you guys have spoken about have been RPGs...

jasonharris48

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 jasonharris48

[QUOTE="jasonharris48"]

Well most of the single player titles I play are RPGs. I do not rent RPG's because of how time consuming they can be. Plus I just do not like renting games.

Coldzboy

I know it's random but I know a dude named Jason Harrison, were you born in 1992?

Nah I was born in 89 and the last name is just Harris. I was kind of bland when creating my user name on here lol.

Coldzboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Coldzboy

Why do people buy multiplayer games? they are extremely repetative? Seriously are you that ridiculously blind? I am going to take your advice and not buy final fantasy 13 but rent it for 2 weeks and pay probably $100 in late fees because it will take that long to finish therefore paying more than the game is actually worth and not actually owning the game.KorruptRaiden

"Ok let me start by pointing out that Gears Of War, Halo 3 and Resistance are as good as their popularity suggests, their exciting for the noob gamer (most gamers) because of their easy gameplay, which i like to call doom ****" - You

I don't really care for your opinion anymore, thanks for stopping by.

jasonharris48

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 jasonharris48

Coldzboy

Thats because I mainly play RPGs and fighters on consoles.

Coldzboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Coldzboy

[QUOTE="Coldzboy"]

jasonharris48

Thats because I mainly play RPGs and fighters on consoles.

True that.

But for the rest of you,are you saying only RPGs or games with RPG elements are worth purchasing?

leperphiliac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#20 leperphiliac
Member since 2008 • 1391 Posts
Assasins creed and Bioshock arent rpg's
Coldzboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Coldzboy
Assasins creed and Bioshock arent rpg'sleperphiliac
They both have heavy RPG elements.
orb_03_2006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 75

#22 orb_03_2006
Member since 2006 • 8494 Posts

Coldzboy
Yup. RPGs are among the greatest singleplayer games. I men really, who in there right mind will spend $60 on a game that's multiplayer based with a campaign that will be very short? I got Modern Warfare 2 because I knew I'd love the online, and maybe the campaign.
KorruptRaiden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 KorruptRaiden

[QUOTE="KorruptRaiden"]Why do people buy multiplayer games? they are extremely repetative? Seriously are you that ridiculously blind? I am going to take your advice and not buy final fantasy 13 but rent it for 2 weeks and pay probably $100 in late fees because it will take that long to finish therefore paying more than the game is actually worth and not actually owning the game.Coldzboy

"Ok let me start by pointing out that Gears Of War, Halo 3 and Resistance are as good as their popularity suggests, their exciting for the noob gamer (most gamers) because of their easy gameplay, which i like to call doom ****" - You

I don't really care for your opinion anymore, thanks for stopping by.

You missed my point, I used final fantasy of all games there, why? Well simple because it is a stand out game in terms of story depth/length, characterisation, etc. You buy one of these games for the same reason you would buy a novel, you get what I mean right? -_-
travisstaggs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 travisstaggs

[QUOTE="leperphiliac"]Assasins creed and Bioshock arent rpg'sColdzboy

No not really Assassins Creed 2 is similar to sandbox style more then anything and so is the first one. Not everyone likes multiplayer stuff some people would rather have a long nice story rather then a multiplayer game that more then likely you will get tired of quicker. Anyways from reading some of your post theirs no reasoning with you.

Coldzboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Coldzboy

[QUOTE="Coldzboy"][QUOTE="leperphiliac"]Assasins creed and Bioshock arent rpg'stravisstaggs

No not really Assassins Creed 2 is similar to sandbox style more then anything and so is the first one. Not everyone likes multiplayer stuff some people would rather have a long nice story rather then a multiplayer game that more then likely you will get tired of quicker. Anyways from reading some of your post theirs no reasoning with you, have a nice day.

Have you actually played AC2? There's deep RPG elements, from little things such as purchasing ammo for your gun to upgrading aspects of your city. And I didn't ask you to "reason" with me, so yea, you have a great day.
ThePRAssassin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 ThePRAssassin
Member since 2009 • 1344 Posts

Coldzboy

So either I'm a female or Assassin's Creed II is an RPG.

Can you clarify? I'd like to know which one I should be confused about.

Slinky_Turtle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Slinky_Turtle
Member since 2008 • 113 Posts
[QUOTE="Coldzboy"]

[QUOTE="mywii1999"]

[QUOTE="Pdiddy105"]

A bad joke? :$ this isn't even a joke at all, because you like to waste money buying singleplayer games doesn't mean that everyone wants to...

Please explain to me how its a waste of money if the person who bought it enjoys it.
PlasmaBeam44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#28 PlasmaBeam44
Member since 2007 • 9052 Posts

Because they're games and I love playing games. Not every single game needs multiplayer and those who think so are wrong and need to rethink their life.

travisstaggs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 travisstaggs
[QUOTE="travisstaggs"]

[QUOTE="Coldzboy"] They both have heavy RPG elements.Coldzboy

No not really Assassins Creed 2 is similar to sandbox style more then anything and so is the first one. Not everyone likes multiplayer stuff some people would rather have a long nice story rather then a multiplayer game that more then likely you will get tired of quicker. Anyways from reading some of your post theirs no reasoning with you, have a nice day.

Have you actually played AC2? There's deep RPG elements, from little things such as purchasing ammo for your gun to upgrading aspects of your city. And I didn't ask you to "reason" with me, so yea, you have a great day.

Yes I own it but buying ammo for a gun isn't a RPG trait at all and most would not consider upgrading a city as well one, you didn't say you wanted me to reason with you but no matter what anyone says your not going to see it as a good point.
darkghost75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 darkghost75
Member since 2007 • 1584 Posts
with owning a game you can go back to it anytime you want...for example, i beat killzone 2 and batman arkham asylum in december even though i got them both when they were first released (and could have beat them in a few days but i chose to not finish them)....i must have played the whole rainbow six vegas 2 campaign at least five times and the gears of war campaign at least 10 times. some games i feel like saving for a rainy day, so to speak, and some games i like playing through again whether it is to get achievements that i missed or simply for fun. ...and you know what? ...right now i have a great library of games that i can play anytime i want.
mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#31 mitu123
Member since 2006 • 155290 Posts

You do realize that a lot of single player games are replayable right? In difficulty, unlocking stuff, achievements, etc.

Coldzboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Coldzboy

[QUOTE="Coldzboy"][QUOTE="travisstaggs"] No not really Assassins Creed 2 is similar to sandbox style more then anything and so is the first one. Not everyone likes multiplayer stuff some people would rather have a long nice story rather then a multiplayer game that more then likely you will get tired of quicker. Anyways from reading some of your post theirs no reasoning with you, have a nice day.

travisstaggs

Yes I own it but buying ammo for a gun isn't a RPG trait at all and most would not consider upgrading a city as well one, you didn't say you wanted me to reason with you but no matter what anyone says your not going to see it as a good point.

I don't mean to come off rude, but when you announce to everyone that you're exiting a topic, you exit, have a great day.

Palantas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#33 Palantas
Member since 2002 • 15329 Posts

I like having a game library, for many reasons. Why I buy games:

• I don't buy games for $60, unless it's something I really want. At a certain point, it becomes more economical to buy games than rent them.
  • Some games have such a large volume of content, that I'm going to want to own them for a while. It's impractical to just "Beat it; return it."
  • I can replay games, such as RPGs with multiple endings or shooters with different difficulties. It's not just "Beat it; return it."
  • Following from the above, if I get frustrated with a game, I can set it aside. There's no rush to beat it so I can return it to the store/get a new game on GameFly.
  • If I get an itch to replay a certain game, I can.
  • Other people I know can play a game once I'm done with it. My girlfriend loves Dragon Age, and that's a single-player game.

EDIT: GameSpot ate my spaces.

Coldzboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Coldzboy

You do realize that a lot of single player games are replayable right? In difficulty, unlocking stuff, achievements, etc.

mitu123
No, because I'm new to games, I've only been registered to this website for over five years...
Coldzboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Coldzboy

[QUOTE="Coldzboy"]

[QUOTE="travisstaggs"] Yes I own it but buying ammo for a gun isn't a RPG trait at all and most would not consider upgrading a city as well one, you didn't say you wanted me to reason with you but no matter what anyone says your not going to see it as a good point. travisstaggs

I don't mean to come off rude, but when you announce to everyone that you're exiting a topic, you exit, have a great day.

And what if I don't? Report me? I don't care I can post here if I want. :D

Oh ok, just edit that other post saying that you'd leave, wouldn't want to get people's hopes up :D

mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 mitu123

[QUOTE="mitu123"]

Coldzboy

No, because I'm new to games, I've only been registered to this website for over five years...

Ok, didn't know that, also...:?

Coldzboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Coldzboy

[QUOTE="Coldzboy"][QUOTE="mitu123"]

mitu123

I don't understand what you're getting at...

mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 mitu123

[QUOTE="mitu123"]

[QUOTE="Coldzboy"] No, because I'm new to games, I've only been registered to this website for over five years...Coldzboy

I'm trying to say that not every single player game should be just rentals, I would never rent Mass Effect. But I can see that those who complain about length and replayability should research the game before buying it, that's why rentals work a lot too.

Coldzboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Coldzboy

[QUOTE="Coldzboy"]

[QUOTE="mitu123"] Ok, didn't know that, also...:?

mitu123

I'm trying to say that not every single player game should be just rentals, I would never rent Mass Effect. But I can see that those who complain about length and replayability should research the game before buying it, that's why rentals work a lot too.

I understand, I bought Mass Effect aswell, but it was 20 bucks. But to me 60 dollars is alot of money, actually it's alot of money to ANYONE, and if you say it isn't then you're a liar :\

jasonharris48

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 jasonharris48

[QUOTE="travisstaggs"]

[QUOTE="Coldzboy"] They both have heavy RPG elements.Coldzboy

I've played and beat AC2 (matter of fact I just finished the game today). I wouldn't callthat deep role playing elements. As for BioShock it is pretty light when it comes to its RPG elements especially considering it is supposed to be the Spiritual successor of the System Shock games.

DavidRswii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#44 DavidRswii
Member since 2007 • 1210 Posts
[QUOTE="DamianAlexander"]

I'm currently playing Bioshock again for the third time. This game is still amazing. Today I screamed at the top of my lungs because a splicer appeared out of nowhere... I might already know the story, I might not get any new achievements, but the entertainment is still there. This is one of my favorite games, and it doesn't need to be multiplayer for it to be great. Look at Modern Warfare, I can't even go near that game, I'm so sick of the lame strategies used online that I'd rather play Halo Wars. Multiplayer does add a bit of variety to a game because humans will always challenge you with new and better tactics, but a great single player game will always challenge your way of thinking. On this Third time playing I've picked up on things that I never heard the other two times I played this game.

[QUOTE="DamianAlexander"]

Same here
rgsniper1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 rgsniper1
Member since 2003 • 9398 Posts

Because a lot of people enjoy single player games and not everyone likes playing multiplayer games. Contrary to what you obvioiusly think, not everyone should or is going to like multiplayer games. I can list a ton of reasons that single player games are better than multiplayer games. Here's a bunch of them now... the douches that seem to congregate on xbox live. Just saying.

DJSAV_101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 DJSAV_101
Member since 2008 • 3701 Posts

I've been playing games for 15 years now and 12 of those were spent playing single player games only. I prefer it over MP for the most part. Not all games need to have MP for them to have replayability.

KorruptRaiden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 KorruptRaiden

I like having a game library, for many reasons. Why I buy games:

• I don't buy games for $60, unless it's something I really want. At a certain point, it becomes more economical to buy games than rent them.
  • Some games have such a large volume of content, that I'm going to want to own them for a while. It's impractical to just "Beat it; return it."
  • I can replay games, such as RPGs with multiple endings or shooters with different difficulties. It's not just "Beat it; return it."
  • Following from the above, if I get frustrated with a game, I can set it aside. There's no rush to beat it so I can return it to the store/get a new game on GameFly.
  • If I get an itch to replay a certain game, I can.
  • Other people I know can play a game once I'm done with it. My girlfriend loves Dragon Age, and that's a single-player game.

EDIT: GameSpot ate my spaces.

Palantas
Yeah same with me really, It's nice to have a collection because there are always those games that were so great YOU WILL play them again one day (especially those PS1 classics:)).
Twin-Blade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Twin-Blade
Member since 2005 • 6806 Posts

Dead Space. Assassins Creed. Mass Effect. Dragon Age Origins. Darksiders. Fable. Final Fantasy. Tales of Vesperia. Bioshock. Lost Odyssey. Zelda. God of War. Devil May Cry. Fear. Bayonetta. Elder Scrolls 3 & 4. Fallout 3. Kingdom Hearts. Shadow of the Colossus. KotoR.

Their just off the top of my head. Any good RPG or action game is worth keeping - I've sold single player games only to regret selling them a week later, then later buying them again. Oblivion & Mass Effect spring to mind, both of which I have bought 3 times (I've now promised never to sell them). The latest is Assassins Creed 2 - I sold it a few weeks backs & I'm itching to play it again so badly. I'll pick it up when the price drops for sure.

Their like Chinese food. You think you've had enough so you get rid of it, only to be wanting more a short time later.

Edit: Not that it matters, but it's more cost effective for me to buy a game full price then rent. I'll rent a game then a few months later get a letter about a possible court order for forgetting to return it. It usually costs me more then what the game cost at full price.

Sepewrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#49 Sepewrath
Member since 2005 • 30684 Posts
What is this a joke topic? No one can really be questioning the value of a single player experience. Well here it is in a nutshell; A great single player experience last a lifetime, people will still go back and play Mario World or Sonic after all these years. MP reliant experiences have a shelf life that last only as lon as the game is popular. Look at how people ranted and raved about how great COD4 was and a mere 2yrs later its forgotten for the next big thing. It doesn't even have to last that long, if they next online juggernaut drops after six months the prior one is finished. That cant happen to a great SP experience, great ones like Mario Galaxy, Uncharted and Mass Effect that are great now, will be great 10yrs from now. A MP experience will be dead within 2, so in the end who gets more bang for thier buck?
DeadApeBladder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 DeadApeBladder
Member since 2009 • 692 Posts

[QUOTE="mywii1999"]

[QUOTE="Pdiddy105"]

Coldzboy

This has to be the most ironic comment I have read on this site so far. Alot of single player games are well over 30 hours and well worth $60, short single player games equal buying them at a cheaper price. Not to mention, a multiplayer game normally has a subpar campaign.