Why Complaint Filing and Rep on Live is Broken

This topic is locked from further discussion.

DarthSnipa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 DarthSnipa
Member since 2008 • 400 Posts

First of all: Complaints.

We've all played with cheaters, or, "hackers", but whatever you call them, they're annoying as H3LL. So you find your first and say, cool, I can get rid of this a-hole and stuff. Awesome!

But then, if you check six, maybe eight weeks later, THEY ARE STILL PLAYING.

I have never seen anyone who was filed get banned. The system is useless and I wonder if they even review the goddamned complaints.

Rep: Short thing here. People will only avoid you if they're pissed off, but won't waste their time preferring you. Everyone I have talked to has 70% avoided and 30%. Honestly.

Thoughts?

Hawkeye747

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Hawkeye747
Member since 2008 • 636 Posts

I have played in a lot of dubious games (mostly on Halo 3) but I have no idea if theyare cheating for sure... how can you tell. Before you answer, you should realise I am worse than computer illiterate... I'm 100% computer illidiot so techno babble will go WHOOSH over my head.

As for the "Preferred" and "Avoided" thing... chalk me up on that list for sure.... I'm at about 60 avoided somehow.

GSU28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 GSU28
Member since 2007 • 1608 Posts
I also have something like a 70% ignore rate and 30% prefer. I have never rated someone on that system. I tend to rub people the wrong way too, and get threats of reporting daily. Though I do not cheat or hack, I just sometimes like to kill my teamates in COD4. :/ It's fun, I swear. But I'll stop. :)
clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 clyde46
Member since 2005 • 49061 Posts
Thats why I play with friends.
Avatar image for deactivated-6074966979cf5
deactivated-6074966979cf5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 deactivated-6074966979cf5
Member since 2005 • 185 Posts

They might as well remove the rep system altogether. It's a great idea in theory, but due to human nature it'll never work. People who think of you negatively are far more likely to avoid you than people who think of you positively are to prefer you. Not to mention some people will avoid you for the stupidest things, like beating them in a game.

I think it's nice to be able to avoid players you don't like and prefer players you do, and I think that should stay. But the whole rep system that it ties into is really pointless and is just a waste of space on everyone's gamercards.

As for complaint filing, they need concrete proof to ban someone. When someone cheats and you report it Microsoft really has no proof that they actually are cheating besides the fact that some guy said so. Maybe if they got complaints from multiple users they would consider that enough proof, but one or two people isn't enough.

I'm not entirely sure about this, but I would assume that complaints concerning abusive messages would be dealt with better, because Microsoft could just look at or listen to the message instead of relying on somebody's word.

This was kind of a long post so if you actually made it this far I applaud you.

vitriolboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 vitriolboy
Member since 2005 • 4356 Posts
Yes rep is a waste of time really but complaints do work. I know people who have had 3 day or week long suspensions. People are not going to be permanently banned (unless they're modders or gamesavers) and you wouldnt know if someone had been suspended for a few days or just hadnt been on live lately but complaints do work
GEARSofWAR360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 GEARSofWAR360
Member since 2006 • 1405 Posts

Yeah the whole systems broken but there is ways to bust cheaters; sending a video of them cheating to microsoft for example.

Imo xbl is a "mature" persons service and if someone can't handle being cussed out they need to not get a mic or just not play. I don't think people should get banned for that stuff. This might not have anything to do with your topic, but I thought i'd voice my opinion.

lawlessx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8 lawlessx
Member since 2004 • 48753 Posts
its not broken at all. you think microsoft is going to take the word of one person and have their account takin away? of course not. it takes alot more complaints from different xbl users to get somebody banned.
g5velocity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 g5velocity
Member since 2007 • 1017 Posts
As far as complaints go, a person needs a folder full of complaints on one certain issue before any one action is taken. In addition, any friends on the friends list of the initial filer who files the same complaint in a certain amount of time the complaint becomes suspect. This helps weed out the @holes who get their friends to file complaints for no particular reason other than they got OWNED!
juicenpancakes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 juicenpancakes
Member since 2006 • 700 Posts

Thats why I play with friends.clyde46

yep

Avatar image for volcomstoner180
volcomstoner180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#11 volcomstoner180
Member since 2008 • 4410 Posts
well banning is quite serious. thats good to know ppl can be suspended cause i hate when people glitch in gears of war...its damn annoying
califone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 califone
Member since 2008 • 302 Posts
My rep only changes when I play one-on-one games like NHL 08 or Virtua Fighter 5. Most people in a 8v8 game are not going to waste time making opinions on everyone in the game afterwards. They are going to move on and play another game.
DarthSnipa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 DarthSnipa
Member since 2008 • 400 Posts

They might as well remove the rep system altogether. It's a great idea in theory, but due to human nature it'll never work. People who think of you negatively are far more likely to avoid you than people who think of you positively are to prefer you. Not to mention some people will avoid you for the stupidest things, like beating them in a game.

I think it's nice to be able to avoid players you don't like and prefer players you do, and I think that should stay. But the whole rep system that it ties into is really pointless and is just a waste of space on everyone's gamercards.

As for complaint filing, they need concrete proof to ban someone. When someone cheats and you report it Microsoft really has no proof that they actually are cheating besides the fact that some guy said so. Maybe if they got complaints from multiple users they would consider that enough proof, but one or two people isn't enough.

I'm not entirely sure about this, but I would assume that complaints concerning abusive messages would be dealt with better, because Microsoft could just look at or listen to the message instead of relying on somebody's word.

This was kind of a long post so if you actually made it this far I applaud you.

Hexogen

Remove rep, give us 50 character mottos!

MsCortana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 MsCortana
Member since 2007 • 10565 Posts
The entire system is flawed and needs reform desperately.
MattRushmore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 MattRushmore
Member since 2008 • 246 Posts

First of all: Complaints.

We've all played with cheaters, or, "hackers", but whatever you call them, they're annoying as H3LL. So you find your first and say, cool, I can get rid of this a-hole and stuff. Awesome!

But then, if you check six, maybe eight weeks later, THEY ARE STILL PLAYING.

I have never seen anyone who was filed get banned. The system is useless and I wonder if they even review the goddamned complaints.

Rep: Short thing here. People will only avoid you if they're pissed off, but won't waste their time preferring you. Everyone I have talked to has 70% avoided and 30%. Honestly.

Thoughts?

DarthSnipa

You used profanity in your third paragraph and your signature is advertising (both are against the rules on here) and you're still on this site. So, it looks like it's not just Microsoft that lets things go.

chaoz-king

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#16 chaoz-king
Member since 2005 • 5956 Posts
lol I am 100% prefered and 0% Avoided.
Burn1n6t00th

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#17 Burn1n6t00th
Member since 2007 • 1457 Posts
I like getting avoided it makes me feel bada55
acesion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#18 acesion
Member since 2003 • 1938 Posts
Ive been banned, but for 1 day. I think it takes like 100 complaints and then you get banned for one day, then on the 200th its 2 days, 300th its 1 week, 400th its 2 weeks, 500th 1 month. 600 banned forever. I also think that your complaints get cleared every so often. For example if I had 20 complaints against me in one month they might delete 10 of those complaints for good behavior or something. Nether the less its a long process to get a complete ban, and in many cases they can just remake one. The only way to be banned fast is if MS knows your hacking or cheating without a doubt.
linkinworm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#19 linkinworm
Member since 2005 • 3134 Posts
my mates got banned for like 30 mins at a time for cheating. i was banned for a week once for some reason, strange because i was at my mates that weekend and wasnt even on my xbox, xbox is poo M$ are poo, the whole rep system is all crap, because if you own you get bad rep if you argue with someone because your better than them
Burn1n6t00th

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#20 Burn1n6t00th
Member since 2007 • 1457 Posts
true being good at a game can get you bad rep because nubs will get mad because they cant kill you especially in Gears
Avatar image for Twisted-Ice-God
Twisted-Ice-God

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Twisted-Ice-God
Member since 2008 • 755 Posts
i have 0 avoid and i i am usualy in top 3 or every match i play.... so its not from being good, its because if youre good and trash talk people get mad, if you harrass girls people get mad, i personaly do file complaints for harrasing girls, using racist or otherwise unnessisary comments. call some one a dbag for camping not bad, call some one the n word for killing you, not cool, also if youre disruptive, constantly cursing just to be harrasing, yeah youre getting a complaint, if you are a good sport, say good game, or are realy helpful in chat, use team work, yeah youre gonna get a positive. i think its not the system so much as the people, take the time and do complaints and avoids for the right reasons, do a prefer, its what makes system work. i get same people sometimes, if i put prefer.
DeathStar17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#22 DeathStar17
Member since 2005 • 4858 Posts
I only really leave negative rep, unless someone is amazingly cool. Its more about not playing people that annoy you...
g5velocity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 g5velocity
Member since 2007 • 1017 Posts

lol I am 100% prefered and 0% Avoided.chaoz-king

Not anymore!

lawlessx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 lawlessx
Member since 2004 • 48753 Posts
you guys are getting the rep system and the complaint system mixed up.
HairyBeast87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#25 HairyBeast87
Member since 2008 • 97 Posts
i don't see how you can tell if someone was cheating or not exactly. i'm sure that a rep from microsoft can check their system through the internet like how they check to see if people are running xbox's that can play bootlegs. other then that, just accept that some people can actually be good at games?
aceofspades076

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 aceofspades076
Member since 2008 • 179 Posts
Yeah, I don't even bother with rep. It's a waste of time and you never get preferred because no one actually takes the time. And the only time you get ignored is when noobs can't kill you.
zero9167

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 zero9167
Member since 2005 • 14554 Posts

well banning is quite serious. thats good to know ppl can be suspended cause i hate when people glitch in gears of war...its damn annoyingvolcomstoner180
Yep i just now played 2 games in gears, and in both someone was glitching out of the map. I still won both but its very annoying and just a waste of time.

im going to start preferring people because of this thread :P

djrobst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 djrobst
Member since 2007 • 2404 Posts
people get banned for complaints but not for a few. i think for most stuff like trash talking or cheating etc they are going to wait till they get quite a few complaints about the same thing for the person. and then people dont get banned permantly they only get tempory bans for a day to a week in most cases. so no doubt if people got banned on your list you would still probally see them back on your list. they have to be like that really otherwise people could just file complaint for the crack and after getting just one ur banned, i think most people would of been banned by someone abusing that if it was the case. or even if it was just for a 2-3 times. as for the repuation percenatges yeah ya right people do tend to use it for negative more than positive if thats what your doing then most people do the same. if you want good percentage then let people know you are going to give them good rating and ask if they return. but really who cares about the prefer/avoid percentage. you cant see other peoples stats. its just feedback for yourself. and the way the rep works is by the stars. which take into consideration not only all the times people have give you prefered player or avoided player. but they also account for all the occasions you played without getting a rating. thats why you can get a bad rating and still have 5 stars because people dont use the feedback options all that much on most games (unless they just people who do it when they take bad beats) i think to get banned for your game behavior permantly i think you would of had to be banned at least 2-3 times on tempory basis. the people who get banned permantly tend to be those who abuse the marketplace by sharing gamertags to get downloads they shouldnt like the betas like they did with halo 3 and also those who mod they consoles so they play copies etc, although its usually the console that gets banned in that case not the live user id
juicenpancakes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 juicenpancakes
Member since 2006 • 700 Posts

[QUOTE="chaoz-king"]lol I am 100% prefered and 0% Avoided.g5velocity

Not anymore!

hahahaha

gr8scott

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 gr8scott
Member since 2003 • 1008 Posts

This whole rep and complaint system is completely flawed; like many have already mentioned. I have 58% avoided.

I too have wondered if Microsoft even reviews some of the complaints DarthSnipa. I imagine some complaints may be legit. There may be some harrassment and unneccesary trash-talking. I understand the reasoning behind that.

But I'm sure there are some complaints that are not complaints at all. For example, I got a complaint from someone in Halo 3 because I got to the rocket launcher first and my teammate wanted it. It wasn't like I beat him to it, I had it for atleast a minute or two before he even wanted it. So, he betrayed me, got the rocket launcher, got killed by someone and then left the game and filed a complaint to me for being unsporting. Those really aren't complaints.

I agree 100% with Hexogen's post from the previous page. The complaint system needs to be fixed, but I'm not going to hold my breath. Maybe they should actually review the complaint to see if it was legitimate? Request more information? If Microsoft isn't going to really attempt to fix this, then the whole rep system should just go.

Avenger1324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Avenger1324
Member since 2007 • 16344 Posts

Prefer and avoid are fairly useless, but that is because of how everyone behaves. Do YOU bother to prefer every player you find helpful? probably not. Do you avoid people that piss you off? probably.

Because rating people requires effort you usually only do it when someone annoys you so much you don't want to play them again.

DrumminDoc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 DrumminDoc
Member since 2004 • 216 Posts

Imo xbl is a "mature" persons service and if someone can't handle being cussed out they need to not get a mic or just not play. I don't think people should get banned for that stuff.

GEARSofWAR360

That is the single dumbest thing I have read today; Swearing at someone does not illustrate maturity, in fact the opposite is true. Being able to be a good winner or loser is mature and those people don't have to tolerate little kids calling them losers or gay or any other dumb thing when they pay for the service. Paying for internet anonymity does not give you the right to be a mouthy, offensive little prick.

Goku2639

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#33 Goku2639
Member since 2005 • 5450 Posts
yea its kinda broken but how the hell u guys have so much bad rep? ive had live since july 07 and i got 90 preferred and 10 avoided