What the heck is a 2nd person shooter?

• 75 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by Samslayer (1649 posts) -

I know what a 1st and 3rd person shooter is. What is a 2nd person? Is it like the old resident evil games where the camera is stationary in a room or scene? Or is it something else?

Just wondering!

#2 Posted by nicknees93 (3250 posts) -
wouldn't a second person shooter be you watching the protagonist doing stuff. let's say your cole from gears of war, and your playing cole, but marcus is doing all the cool stuff... is that it?
#3 Posted by LessThanMike (5286 posts) -
i don't really know if there is such a thing my friend
#4 Posted by ownzone55 (557 posts) -
It's like "you" when someone is reffering to you. Its not commonly used exept maybe guide books. Im not sure how the heck it would go with shooting games.
#5 Posted by ZeroGravX (1296 posts) -

Um, is there such a thing? I've never heard of a 2nd person shooter. What game claims such?

#6 Posted by nicknees93 (3250 posts) -

Um, is there such a thing? I've never heard of a 2nd person shooter. What game claims such?

ZeroGravX
i dont think any do, but i think he's just wondering what it WOULD be like.
#7 Posted by Samslayer (1649 posts) -
Yeah I guess I've never heard of a game with it! I was just wondering if it would be possible, maybe you would be an alien that cannot move or communicate, and can only do so through the use of other creatures?
#8 Posted by JMC987 (193 posts) -
yes, i agree
#9 Posted by ownzone55 (557 posts) -
MAybe it could be like hey you pikachu where you tell what the guy does, it that condiered second person?
#10 Posted by Samslayer (1649 posts) -
I guess if you think about it aren't all games "2nd person" because we are playing a character and we control their motions, actions, dialogue, etc? Just a thought....
#11 Posted by Dredg11 (1266 posts) -

There's no such thing as a 2nd person shooter, nor could there be.

Even the term "third person" shooter is inaccurate.

#12 Posted by wikkiwild1 (188 posts) -

In a 2nd person shooter video game, the player would control the guns, but see the action from the perspective of the person (monster?) he or she is shooting.

http://2ndpersonshooter.com/

The link has many 2nd person shooter games you may be familiar with.

#13 Posted by Palantas (15321 posts) -

i don't really know if there is such a thing my friend

LessThanMike

Ditto. If the question is "What would a second person shooter be?", then I don't know. They're just labels anyway; just because there's first and third person shooters doesn't mean there has to be a second person one. We don't have fake-time strategy games or an action-misadventure genre.

#14 Posted by HitomiChan (15305 posts) -
what game is labeled a 2nd person shooter anyway?
#15 Posted by ISargin (140 posts) -

a second person game is kind of like skate 2 i guess would be a good example. assuming you think of yourself as the camera guy behind you. and your doing the tricks.

or if that example doesnt work then for instance. halo. youd be looking through the perspective of the arbiter but playing as master chief. thats a good example.

#16 Posted by vashkey (33718 posts) -
Second person would be the person getting shot at.... Doesnt sound very fun if you ask me.
#17 Posted by punkpunker (3321 posts) -
actually 2nd person is over the sholder perspective(close to the face type) like splinter cell when you taking aim your weapon or resident evil 4/5 when you take aim too. it is intergrated in 3rd person shooter.
#18 Posted by NOD_Grindking (2778 posts) -
actually 2nd person is over the sholder perspective(close to the face type) like splinter cell when you taking aim your weapon or resident evil 4/5 when you take aim too. it is intergrated in 3rd person shooter.punkpunker
This is completley incorrect.
#19 Posted by SteelAttack (10520 posts) -
[QUOTE="nicknees93"]wouldn't a second person shooter be you watching the protagonist doing stuff. let's say your cole from gears of war, and your playing cole, but marcus is doing all the cool stuff... is that it?

That's correct. And on the first reply! You would still control your character, but have to look at him through the eyes of someone else.
actually 2nd person is over the sholder perspective(close to the face type) like splinter cell when you taking aim your weapon or resident evil 4/5 when you take aim too. it is intergrated in 3rd person shooter.punkpunker
Er...no. That's still 3rd person perspective.
#20 Posted by Wakey652 (80 posts) -
Lol the "person" in first and third person shooter refers to the players' perspective of/on the protaganist, so the closest you could come to a second person shooter would be to "play" as a passive bad guy who gets shots in the face by the hero (I realise this would still be in 1st or 3rd person view, just thought it would be a pretty awful concept for a game!)
#21 Posted by mxrider232 (34 posts) -
2nd person shooters? never herd of it what game did you see with that?
#22 Posted by HitomiChan (15305 posts) -
this topic makes my head hurt... lolz.:D
#24 Posted by sourcerah (1214 posts) -
this topic makes my head hurt... lolz.:DHitomiChan
you're not the only one
#25 Posted by sinlesswolf (1382 posts) -
umm. who say the game labeled 2nd person shooter anyway? i don't think it exists.
#29 Posted by 2uneek4u (2548 posts) -
I guess if you think about it aren't all games "2nd person" because we are playing a character and we control their motions, actions, dialogue, etc? Just a thought....Samslayer
no that would be third or first person. second person has no impact to the characters motion actions dialogue. because you are just an audience. This is why second person shooter is a non existence.
#30 Posted by MadSoldier (272 posts) -
It would be something like playing as a NPC while watching the main character do everthing. Luckily there aren't any games like this.
#31 Posted by Palantas (15321 posts) -

[QUOTE="Samslayer"]

I guess if you think about it aren't all games "2nd person" because we are playing a character and we control their motions, actions, dialogue, etc? Just a thought....

2uneek4u

no that would be third or first person. second person has no impact to the characters motion actions dialogue. because you are just an audience. This is why second person shooter is a non existence.

There is a name for that, and you can play it on your Xbox: A movie. I could make a joke about JRPGs and 30-minute cutscenes, but that would be a little trollish.

#32 Posted by capthavic (6478 posts) -
I believe a 2nd person shooter would mean you'd be the one getting shot.
#33 Posted by Quintinius (1050 posts) -
I guess if you think about it aren't all games "2nd person" because we are playing a character and we control their motions, actions, dialogue, etc? Just a thought....Samslayer
No, the first-person would be your character in the game, the second-person would be the enemy in the game and the third-person would be you. Unless there's game about you being shot at while observing yourself from the shooters point of view, there's no such thing.
#34 Posted by xmen1414 (1948 posts) -
[QUOTE="nicknees93"][QUOTE="ZeroGravX"]

i dont think any do, but i think he's just wondering what it WOULD be like.

woulds should never be used in the world of gaming because woulds turn in to reality, and we all know what happens then....
#35 Posted by shutter_speed (111 posts) -

i looked up second person narrative and it said, in respect of a book written in this narrative, it would be "you" rather than "he" or "i".

e.g: you went through the door onto the other side. you said to the man there.... etc.

i can't see how this would translate into a videgame - it reminds me of those old choose your own adventure books

#36 Posted by orb_03_2006 (8494 posts) -
I've heard that 2nd person is where ther camera is in front of your characters body the whole time
#37 Posted by Gigasmanic (35 posts) -
It would be impossible to create a 2nd person shooter, as the action would have to fall on someone else. It is extremely confusing to even try to prospect the idea of how to do such a thing.
#38 Posted by allan3456 (46 posts) -
*Breaking out the higher English textbook for an explanation of second person narrative.*
#39 Posted by Vexx88 (33342 posts) -
There is no 2nd person in real life there fro this invalid statement is invalid *explodes*
#40 Posted by _Kikode_ (434 posts) -
My Best guess would be a RTS game.
#41 Posted by -eddy- (11443 posts) -
Second person would be the person getting shot at.... Doesnt sound very fun if you ask me.vashkey
Ah.. l have a lot of those games.
#42 Posted by Ch3wy07 (19 posts) -
You wouldn't be doing anything in a 2nd person shooter. Just watching the main character do stuff.
#43 Posted by HitomiChan (15305 posts) -

You wouldn't be doing anything in a 2nd person shooter. Just watching the main character do stuff.Ch3wy07

Great. that would make a really terrible game.

#44 Posted by TormentedHero (661 posts) -
I do not really know, I never heard of a 2nd person shooter.
#45 Posted by Shadowalker1191 (98 posts) -
Probably the rarest mode is the second-person narrative mode, in which the narrator refers to the focal character(s) as "you", therefore making the audience feel as if they are characters within the story. Because of this, second-person pieces often have an accusatory nature with the narrator often condemning or expressing powerful emotions directly at the person whom they are referring to. A small number of novels have been written in the second-person, frequently paired with the present tense. A relatively prominent example is Jay McInerney's Bright Lights, Big City, where the central character is clearly modeled on himself, and he seems to have decided that second-person point of view would create even more intimacy than first-person, creating the feeling that the reader is blind, in a sense, and the plot is leading him along. Another example is Damage by A.M. Jenkins, in which the second-person is used to show how distant the depressed main character has become from himself. Another example is Nightswimmer by Joseph Olshan, in which the second-person is used by the narrator to intimately explain a story that his lover only partially understands. The second person format has been used in at least a few popular novels, most notably Italo Calvino's If on a winter's night a traveler, and Tom Robbins' Half Asleep in Frog Pajamas as well as many short stories. When done well, the readers imagine themselves within the action, which can be used to place them in different situations, for example in Iain Banks' novel Complicity, where the chapters that deal with the actions of a murderer are in the second person. It is almost universally agreed that second-person narration is hard to manage, especially in a serious work. Other examples of second-person narrative are the Choose Your Own Adventure children's books, in which the reader actually makes decisions and jumps around the book accordingly; most interactive fiction; and different chapters from many novels written by Chuck Palahniuk, like his novel Diary. An even rarer, but stylish version of second person narration takes the form of a series of imperative statements with the implied subject "you", as in this example from Lorrie Moore's "How to Become a Writer": "Decide that you like college life. In your dorm you meet many nice people. Some are smarter than you. And some, you notice, are dumber than you. You will continue, unfortunately, to view the world in exactly these terms for the rest of your life." Thanks Wiki!
#46 Posted by Bobmypants1 (76 posts) -
Basically you would be killing urself in a 2nd person shooter. For example you would control the gun of the good guy while looking through the eyes of the bad guy he's trying to shoot.
#47 Posted by Breakfast_Clubber (2803 posts) -
2nd person shooter would be like you walking around holding a paralyzed man, helping him aim and pull the trigger.
#48 Posted by Samslayer (1649 posts) -
Great an implied you video game...so no playing at all, haha, this question really has received some educated responses:)
#49 Posted by ZeroGravX (1296 posts) -

2nd person shooter would be like you walking around holding a paralyzed man, helping him aim and pull the trigger.Breakfast_Clubber

lol, now that would just be silly. :P

#50 Posted by Angry_Bosmer (1432 posts) -

I know what a 1st and 3rd person shooter is. What is a 2nd person? Is it like the old resident evil games where the camera is stationary in a room or scene? Or is it something else?

Just wondering!

Samslayer

Ghost recon 2, Aiming in gears.