What's the consensus on Dead Rising 3? And the new DLC?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
deactivated-5e90a3763ea91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 13

#1 deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
Member since 2008 • 9437 Posts

XBO n00b here. Okay, so I just played the DR3 demo, and it was kinda fun. I've ignored the games for a while because I remember the first one (which I sort of liked, and I bought the 360 for years ago) was extremely frustrating and had a bunch of timed events you had to run around and hurry to in order to save people.

I'm wondering what people think of Dead Rising 3 in general, how they'd say it compares to the other games, and if it makes for a good single-player game. I'd also like to know if it's as 'stressful' as I remember the first game being, or if it's a little more chill with the timed events.

I also saw the announcement for the 'Super Ultra Arcade Remix Hyper Edition EX Plus Alpha' game. I guess it's an add-on for DR3? I was wondering if anyone has played that yet, and if so what people think of it. Seems like it could be fun dressing up as Ryu and going all street-fighter on zombies.

So, just looking for some fan feedback from people who have played the games.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#2 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38034 Posts

@Ovirew said:

XBO n00b here. Okay, so I just played the DR3 demo, and it was kinda fun. I've ignored the games for a while because I remember the first one (which I sort of liked, and I bought the 360 for years ago) was extremely frustrating and had a bunch of timed events you had to run around and hurry to in order to save people.

I'm wondering what people think of Dead Rising 3 in general, how they'd say it compares to the other games, and if it makes for a good single-player game. I'd also like to know if it's as 'stressful' as I remember the first game being, or if it's a little more chill with the timed events.

I also saw the announcement for the 'Super Ultra Arcade Remix Hyper Edition EX Plus Alpha' game. I guess it's an add-on for DR3? I was wondering if anyone has played that yet, and if so what people think of it. Seems like it could be fun dressing up as Ryu and going all street-fighter on zombies.

So, just looking for some fan feedback from people who have played the games.

First game I purchased. I like the dead rising series a lot though. So I like the pressure of timed events. Not as many in 3 though. Game is a riot.

BattleSpectre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By BattleSpectre
Member since 2009 • 7989 Posts

Did not like DR3 at all, as soon as I beat the game I traded it in for Forza 5. I don't regret my decision either, I just guess the game wasn't for me. Having said that though I've seen a lot of people who have enjoyed the game - so go for it. To answer your question It's not like the first one at all and way more user friendly in terms of the timer.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 deactivated-5e90a3763ea91

Thanks for the feedback, guys.

My birthday's coming up, so maybe I'll get DR3 then. I guess my main reasoning is that most of the games I'm really interested in won't come out until October, but it would be nice to have some sort of disc-based game with a meaty single-player mode on my new One. I can see myself wanting a little more variety on the system over the next couple of months than what I presently have.

BattleSpectre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By BattleSpectre
Member since 2009 • 7989 Posts

@Ovirew said:

Thanks for the feedback, guys.

My birthday's coming up, so maybe I'll get DR3 then. I guess my main reasoning is that most of the games I'm really interested in won't come out until October, but it would be nice to have some sort of disc-based game with a meaty single-player mode on my new One. I can see myself wanting a little more variety on the system over the next couple of months than what I presently have.

I wouldn't call the single player campaign "meaty" to be fair. I finished it in 2 nights. But I also skipped the side missions and when I start playing a new game I play for a long time. So I guess you have to take that into consideration too.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 deactivated-5e90a3763ea91

@BattleSpectre said:

I wouldn't call the single player campaign "meaty" to be fair. I finished it in 2 nights. But I also skipped the side missions and when I start playing a new game I play for a long time. So I guess you have to take that into consideration too.

I essentially own two Arcade games right now. I'm enjoying them, but I do have a brand new console and it would be nice to have more options, and something with better graphics. It's a long wait between now and October, and the more I think about it the more I probably will want to have another game or two to help mix things up.

Usually I do most of my gaming either late at night, or in the morning. The length of time I game for varies, but it also depends a lot on my mood and how interested I am in the game I'm playing. I usually take a while to beat games though so I'm not too worried about it. I just hope the game has more overall value than Infamous Second Son did, since I felt like that game was kind of brief, easy and repetitive.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7 SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

I would not recommend DR3...

but if all you do is mostly game on Xbone, then there isn't much exclusives out yet so might as well play something.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 deactivated-5e90a3763ea91

@SolidTy said:

but if all you do is mostly game on Xbone, then there isn't much exclusives out yet so might as well play something.

Why wouldn't you recommend DR3?

a55a55inx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#9 a55a55inx
Member since 2004 • 4188 Posts

The thing that I really like about the Dead Rising series is that it's a sandbox game with zombies. The things that I used to dislike are the time-based mission structure (I felt that I didn't have enough time to explore) and loading screens between areas. Fortunately, Dead Rising 3 has alleviated a lot of my problems with the series by giving us a large open map with no loading screens, and a mode that gives you a lot more time for exploration. DR3 is my favorite game of the series and is a lot of fun. If you enjoyed the demo then you will enjoy the whole game.

As for the Super Ultra Arcade Remix, I find it a lot of fun. (I'm a big fan of Capcom's old games) If the trailer interests you at all, then the DLC is well worth it.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 deactivated-5e90a3763ea91

@a55a55inx said:

The thing that I really like about the Dead Rising series is that it's a sandbox game with zombies. The things that I used to dislike are the time-based mission structure (I felt that I didn't have enough time to explore) and loading screens between areas. Fortunately, Dead Rising 3 has alleviated a lot of my problems with the series by giving us a large open map with no loading screens, and a mode that gives you a lot more time for exploration. DR3 is my favorite game of the series and is a lot of fun. If you enjoyed the demo then you will enjoy the whole game.

As for the Super Ultra Arcade Remix, I find it a lot of fun. (I'm a big fan of Capcom's old games) If the trailer interests you at all, then the DLC is well worth it.

It sounds like you and I felt the same way about the older games in the series, so maybe I will feel the same way about DR3.

I was feeling a little unsure of myself again after reading some of these replies, but it seems like you enjoy this game for the reasons I was hoping I would.

a55a55inx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By a55a55inx

@Ovirew said:

@a55a55inx said:

It sounds like you and I felt the same way about the older games in the series, so maybe I will feel the same way about DR3.

I was feeling a little unsure of myself again after reading some of these replies, but it seems like you enjoy this game for the reasons I was hoping I would.

Some people love it, some people don't, it all comes down to what you enjoy. I personally love sandbox games so DR3 is right up my alley. The storyline is forgettable, but killing zombies with a variety of weapons is simple fun.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By SolidTy

@Ovirew said:

@SolidTy said:

First, I don't really enjoy the developer, Capcom Vancouver (formerly Blue Castle's games). That said, people spend $500 on a new machine sometimes feel they need to get their money's worth and games like this are sitting there so the appeal goes up. However, DR3's graphics aren't really impressive compared to say GTA5, other than the zombie count. It looks like a an average 360 game other than the impressive zombie count. If you aren't a fan of DR 1 and DR2, this game won't make you a sudden fan of the series as far as I'm concerned.

DR3 also doesn't feel next gen (other than the world is bigger but that doesn't make it better due to frame rate issues), I didn't like DR1 or DR2 but DR3 has some good ideas with poor execution, the controls aren't very precise, the only thing I liked was you can kill zombies but that gets old after awhile. The characters and story are lame and throw away. The novelty of the much-larger Los Perdidos quickly wears off, especially in a car if you cruise down a street only to watch the frame-rate chug as it frantically tries to load in hundreds of zombies. Speaking of driving around in the larger world, you have no choice it's required. Traversing through the huge world is a requirement, so you should expect to see a lot of quick-time events once zombies grab you. Dealing with an occasional "X/B" button prompt is fine, but DR 3 also takes advantage of the gyroscope in the Xbone controller. Time to shake the controller. Unfortunately, it's one of the game's most unwelcome new ideas, as one specific QTE will require you to shake the controller when prompted. It's aggravating to have to shake your controller so many times and that's without mentioning that the gesture won't register some of the time. It becomes much worse when the QTE pops up while driving, as you'll wind up slamming into a wall while trying to escape the zombie horde. To me, the largest issue with DR 3 is that there’s not much to the game.

Speaking about my biggest gripe, the biggest issue above,there really is not much to the game. Maybe it's a nice throwaway title for $10-$20 one day, but I just don't care for the series. With the AAA amazing releases exploding out on PC/360/PS3/Wii U (including amazing games that released last year and the year prior I still have to complete) it's really hard to justify wasting my time on DR3. Those who want to simply roam and cause wanton destruction killing zombies in a mindless fashion will find their needs tremendously appeased, but anyone hoping to see a game truly trying something new and next gen will want to look elsewhere. When it comes to PS4 and Xbone, I will power those machines on when the games are very good or they get rest.

I dislike answering questions like this because inevitably there will be a fan that will disagree and loves blowing up zombies, but remember, I'm just answering your question and this is just my opinion on the game. It's below average entertainment to me. Much better games out there to waste time with.

CrossFire245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 CrossFire245
Member since 2007 • 1085 Posts

DR3 is one of the two games I picked up with my Xbone last week (Titanfall was the other). I have to say, for someone who is new to the series, I am really enjoying it. The variety of weapons prevent it from becoming too boring (since X and Y are basically your two attack buttons) and there is a lot of exploring and stuff to do on the side.

I would agree that it doesn't exactly feel "next gen" due to unimpressive graphics, but the game is very enjoyable nonetheless.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 deactivated-5e90a3763ea91

@SolidTy: Hey, no problem Solid. I asked because I wanted your sincere opinion, and you gave me a very good and thought-out response. Thank you for that.

But yeah idk, I guess I am still more divided on this game than I'd like to be.

I will say that graphics aren't a big deal to me in a game, but it is true that for a next-gen game it could probably be more impressive visually. Nicer frame rates probably would have been welcome. Story, idk, I guess I'd have to judge that for myself, but I guess for me it is about slaying zombies and doing so with lots of crazy different armaments.

You mention that there's not much to the game, and that is something I would be concerned about. I'm hoping for something that will give me more value than some of the other games I've played lately. It's also hard for me not to look at $60 as a lot of money, especially when it would be a birthday gift. But that's why I'm asking about it now - I have a little under a month to figure it out.

On a somewhat related topic, I was also interested in the game Plants VS Zombies: Garden Warfare. I guess the reasoning there is almost the polar opposite of why I am interested in DR3 - rather than providing me with some single-player content at $60, it would provide me with multiplayer content for $40. The only problem is, I would need to ask for some Gold LIVE months along with the game, and I'm not sure how easy it is to find a full set of people for a match on that game yet. Also, it has zero offline content.

So those are the two options I'm looking at right now. A fun sandbox game with zombies, or a fun team FPS game with zombies.

CrossFire245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 CrossFire245
Member since 2007 • 1085 Posts

Although this does not fully excuse the graphics, the ridiculously large amount of zombies on the screen at one time may have to do with why the graphics could not be better.

It really is incredible how many they can fit on screen...the game feels next gen in that matter.

a55a55inx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 a55a55inx

I agree with everyone else that the graphics aren't that impressive, but there is a big difference when you compare DR3 with DR2. You'll notice much better textures, lighting, a much higher zombie count and no loading screens between areas.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#17 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38034 Posts

@SolidTy said:

@Ovirew said:

@SolidTy said:

First, I don't really enjoy the developer, Capcom Vancouver (formerly Blue Castle's games). That said, people spend $500 on a new machine sometimes feel they need to get their money's worth and games like this are sitting there so the appeal goes up. However, DR3's graphics aren't really impressive compared to say GTA5, other than the zombie count. It looks like a an average 360 game other than the impressive zombie count. If you aren't a fan of DR 1 and DR2, this game won't make you a sudden fan of the series as far as I'm concerned.

DR3 also doesn't feel next gen (other than the world is bigger but that doesn't make it better due to frame rate issues), I didn't like DR1 or DR2 but DR3 has some good ideas with poor execution, the controls aren't very precise, the only thing I liked was you can kill zombies but that gets old after awhile. The characters and story are lame and throw away. The novelty of the much-larger Los Perdidos quickly wears off, especially in a car if you cruise down a street only to watch the frame-rate chug as it frantically tries to load in hundreds of zombies. Speaking of driving around in the larger world, you have no choice it's required. Traversing through the huge world is a requirement, so you should expect to see a lot of quick-time events once zombies grab you. Dealing with an occasional "X/B" button prompt is fine, but DR 3 also takes advantage of the gyroscope in the Xbone controller. Time to shake the controller. Unfortunately, it's one of the game's most unwelcome new ideas, as one specific QTE will require you to shake the controller when prompted. It's aggravating to have to shake your controller so many times and that's without mentioning that the gesture won't register some of the time. It becomes much worse when the QTE pops up while driving, as you'll wind up slamming into a wall while trying to escape the zombie horde. To me, the largest issue with DR 3 is that there’s not much to the game.

Speaking about my biggest gripe, the biggest issue above,there really is not much to the game. Maybe it's a nice throwaway title for $10-$20 one day, but I just don't care for the series. With the AAA amazing releases exploding out on PC/360/PS3/Wii U (including amazing games that released last year and the year prior I still have to complete) it's really hard to justify wasting my time on DR3. Those who want to simply roam and cause wanton destruction killing zombies in a mindless fashion will find their needs tremendously appeased, but anyone hoping to see a game truly trying something new and next gen will want to look elsewhere. When it comes to PS4 and Xbone, I will power those machines on when the games are very good or they get rest.

I dislike answering questions like this because inevitably there will be a fan that will disagree and loves blowing up zombies, but remember, I'm just answering your question and this is just my opinion on the game. It's below average entertainment to me. Much better games out there to waste time with.

High brother, its the inevitable fan here!!! Seriously I hear ya @SolidTy. But I am a fan of the DR games. I see them like crackdown in that not everyone digs them. I liked the first years ago, loved the second which I played co op a lot in the Army, and I like 3. Its just mindless, see what kind of crazy shit you can do gaming, imo. There are better games, Titanfall being one of them, but I enjoy DR3.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 SolidTy

@cainetao11 said:

@SolidTy said:

@Ovirew said:

@SolidTy said:

High brother, its the inevitable fan here!!! Seriously I hear ya @SolidTy. But I am a fan of the DR games. I see them like crackdown in that not everyone digs them. I liked the first years ago, loved the second which I played co op a lot in the Army, and I like 3. Its just mindless, see what kind of crazy shit you can do gaming, imo. There are better games, Titanfall being one of them, but I enjoy DR3.

If you are a fan of DR like Brother @cainetao11 is, I say bit the bullet. It really boils down to what you expect from the game and if you like what they are offering. It's certainly not a terrible series, just not my cup of tea.

Mercuria1_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#19 Mercuria1_King
Member since 2014 • 278 Posts

I love Dead Rising 3, it's one of my favorite games for my Xbox One.