What percent does your Kinect recognize your command on the first try?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Edited 1 year, 12 days ago

Poll: What percent does your Kinect recognize your command on the first try? (30 votes)

0%-25% 20%
25%-50% 7%
50%-75% 13%
75%-100% 60%

Curious if anyone has better luck then me when trying to give commands to the Kinect. I would say I have about a 20% success rate on the first try. Some commands are better than others but overall I have a horrible time trying to use it as an interface. It is great to use to login as it does it as soon as it sees you but voice is lacking. I do not know how many times I wanted to record a part of a game and nothing...

#1 Posted by DaBrainz (7712 posts) -

around 20%. Its worse when I hear people screaming into their mics over and over "xbox record that" and such.

#2 Posted by gagit811 (3612 posts) -

The funny thing, a xbox commercial or ad comes on and the xbox will hear when it says only on xbox just fine. I say xbox on and I have to repeat it several times, it's just easier to use the controller. I will say in tomb raider the voice commands worked 90% of the time. I could never get the voice commands to work on rise. It's more miss then hit for me with the voice commands.

#3 Edited by iAli7336 (6 posts) -

It depends on the command itself

for example Xbox on works rarely or after several times but Xbox go to Skype works 95%

#4 Edited by s0ldier69 (2099 posts) -

Don't know. I never hooked up my kinect. Not once. And I dont run my tv through my x1 either. I don't want to talk to my console and I don't want to watch tv through it. But as a game console I think it works great. I love the xbox eco-system and games and Im enjoying the x1 overall.

#5 Posted by jetjetjaguar (244 posts) -

I get close to 100 percent but to do that I have to talk a bit louder than normal and distinctly (separating each word a bit).

#6 Posted by ghstbstr (8790 posts) -

Hardly ever and having to repeat the samething over an over that I turned off Kinect, because it seems useless since it is faster to just use the controller.

#7 Posted by DarthGumballs (194 posts) -

About 98% unless I'm watching TV with the volume loud. Otherwise it's absolutely perfect.

#8 Posted by DarthGumballs (194 posts) -

@s0ldier69 said:

Don't know. I never hooked up my kinect. Not once. And I dont run my tv through my x1 either. I don't want to talk to my console and I don't want to watch tv through it. But as a game console I think it works great. I love the xbox eco-system and games and Im enjoying the x1 overall.

You're missing out. Life has been easier than ever since running our DISH through the X1 and using voice commands. I absolutely love the media experience. It's so easy to switch between any app and another or TV or change TV channels in a flash with the kinect. I'd say it's the most revolutionary thing to happen to media consumption since the DVR.

#9 Posted by Solaryellow (499 posts) -

For me it recognizes nearly everything except in the past few days the word "yes" seems unrecognizable to Kinect.

#10 Edited by Bishop1310 (1150 posts) -

The problem is most people say "Xbox" and the command immediately after.. or even right together.. you have to say "Xbox"...(wait a second) then say the command.. this is how I do it and it literally works 95% of the time.

#11 Edited by ZZoMBiE13 (22911 posts) -

I have had extremely good luck with the voice commands. About the only time it gives me trouble is if I'm trying to be quiet and not disturb the rest of the family. If I play late at night, it's not really worth messing with. But when I can use my normal voice without worrying about waking up the rest of my family, I have almost no problems with it.

#12 Edited by k2theswiss (16599 posts) -

@Bishop1310 said:

The problem is most people say "Xbox" and the command immediately after.. or even right together.. you have to say "Xbox"...(wait a second) then say the command.. this is how I do it and it literally works 95% of the time.

that is part of the issue but not all of it.

~~~

I say it works around 80ish%, I find it funny that "xbox on" works after multiple times, but "xbox turn off" works instantly every time no matter how loud my t.v is or how fast i say it.

IDK maybe it's that "turn" word lol

#13 Edited by donalbane (16369 posts) -

It almost always works for me. What doesn't work consistently is the name of particular channels. My mother in law likes the ID channel (Investigation Discovery) and every time I've tried to show off and impress her, it goes to MSNBC. So that isn't good. I mean, it misses a command once in a while, but overall that's when the volume is too loud and it's drowning out my voice.

#14 Posted by slimdogmilionar (653 posts) -

The only on I had trouble with was Xbox on but if you say it fast"XBOXON" it works better, at least for me. You guys try it and see if it works for you. Other than that it works pretty good.

#15 Edited by jekyll (9140 posts) -

My bigger problem is having it think I want to do something when I don't. I've lost a few time outs in Madden from bitching about a play and next thing I know Jim Nantz is saying "and the defense burns a time out."

#16 Edited by BattleSpectre (6559 posts) -

I won't lie the Kinect has been pretty good to me right out of the box. I guess I'm using the more simple commands (since I don't use any app's or watch TV through my One, only games) but yeah it'll only get better with future updates.