What is the real use of Gamerscore?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by Virtual_Erkan (988 posts) -
Seriously I want to know what is the real use of gamerscore. When I finish a game, I play back again to unlock achievements. I have +18000 gamerscore. Is it going to help me when I am online or something?
#2 Posted by seventy5cent832 (1057 posts) -

after 20000, u receive a free game, anyone you want...

P.S. there is NOTHING DUH!!

#3 Posted by snipeshot11 (1006 posts) -
Its use is nothing, I figured someone who is on Gamespot, and has 18000 gs would know this lol. Its all for fun and bragging rights.
#4 Posted by FleshTone (62 posts) -
When it was originally designed, Microsoft was considering special bonus packs, expansions and maybe even free downloads (movies, music) based on gamerscores / achievements. However, this hasn't been really implemented to date (a couple achievements unlock downloadable bonusses but it's very rare). They may do this in the future; but they've historically been offering free downloads to all XBOXLive subscribers (such as the free download of Austin Powers awhile back).
#5 Posted by Stinger78 (5826 posts) -

As others have said, it's mainly to show that someone is more 'hardcore' because their score is higher than most.

At the same time, when there are ways to 'boost' a score, the score itself becomes almost worthless.

That said, congrats on your score of 18000+.

#6 Posted by donnygorgas (2531 posts) -
No point. I guess it adds some replay value to your games if you care about your score but otherwise there is no point.
#7 Posted by UKLTLEMON (2030 posts) -
bragging rights
#8 Posted by LeviLRP (751 posts) -

Just bragging rights. There are a lot of people that boost for them though. Them people should not be allowed to have bragging rights for something they did not do.

#9 Posted by msjr78 (4004 posts) -
When it was originally designed, Microsoft was considering special bonus packs, expansions and maybe even free downloads (movies, music) based on gamerscores / achievements. However, this hasn't been really implemented to date (a couple achievements unlock downloadable bonusses but it's very rare). They may do this in the future; but they've historically been offering free downloads to all XBOXLive subscribers (such as the free download of Austin Powers awhile back).FleshTone
I don't ever recall them considering offering anything based on gamerscore. From what I remember, back before the 360 was released and when they were explaining what Gamerscore was, it was all just a way for you and your friends to compare games and what you accomplished in those games. Basically just bragging rights. No trade in for downloadable content which would make some sense. However they did have a contest sponsored by Old Spice a while back where after a sign in date, if you raised your gamerscore by 1500 points before the deadline, you could be eligible for a drawing for free stuff or MS points or something. It was pretty lame.
#10 Posted by Potemkin2005 (1771 posts) -
I think they have three very real uses, and they are also one of my favorite things about the 360.

1. They provide you with bragging rights. Wouldn't you love to be able to brag to friends that you've killed 1,000,000 opponents in GoW multiplayer?

2. They offer a tremendous sense of accomplishment. It must feel AWESOME once you've killed that one millionth opponent and the notification pings on your screen. 3. They create a great amount of replay value. Before the 360 I virtually never played through a game a second time and I usually didn't put much time into beating games to 100%. Now I'm playing games multiple times trying to unlock all the achievements.
#11 Posted by msjr78 (4004 posts) -
[QUOTE="Potemkin2005"]I think they have three very real uses, and they are also one of my favorite things about the 360. 1. They provide you with bragging rights. Wouldn't you love to be able to brag to friends that you've killed 1,000,000 opponents in GoW multiplayer? 2. They offer a tremendous sense of accomplishment. It must feel AWESOME once you've killed that one millionth opponent and the notification pings on your screen. 3. They create a great amount of replay value. Before the 360 I virtually never played through a game a second time and I usually didn't put much time into beating games to 100%. Now I'm playing games multiple times trying to unlock all the achievements.

4. They show how much of a life that you don't have if your gamer score is in the upper stratosphere.
#12 Posted by NOD_Grindking (2778 posts) -

They show how much of a life that you don't have if your gamer score is in the upper stratosphere.msjr78

haha, that is an excellent point.

#13 Posted by Megavideogamer (5481 posts) -

Gamerscore is today's version of high score in videogames. In the dark ages when arcades existed, Before Xbox live. Highscore was showing you were the best at a certain Videogame, which lasted until the arcade turn of the power to the machines. Today in 2008 Gamerscore is kinda like Highscore on Xboxlive. A really huge Gamescore 56,000 or something. Could indicate that a person has no life other then playing Videogames.

There is no real use of Gamerscore, just as there was no real use for Highscore way back then.

#14 Posted by Deihmos (7819 posts) -

Its use is nothing, I figured someone who is on Gamespot, and has 18000 gs would know this lol. Its all for fun and bragging rights.snipeshot11

I would think the same. :? It's basically all for fun and nothing else.

#16 Posted by gazoz (1717 posts) -
Shows how big your cyberdick is.
#17 Posted by gdogghenrikson (3028 posts) -
I call them "nerd Points"
#18 Posted by watblud (330 posts) -
its the equivilent of a nerd score :)
#19 Posted by RushMetallica (4501 posts) -
I find it cool, but I would like the idea of trading them in for something, but it would be hard because of the independant companies.
#20 Posted by Virtual_Erkan (988 posts) -

I got more than 50% of the gamerscore just by luck like: finish mission 1, 2, 3 etc. or kill 100, 1000 enemies etc. or play 5, 10 hours etc. or even finish the game.

I though gamerscore was converted into microsoft points. 1000 points = 200 Microsoft points. So I was playing like hell to get that MPs but now I heard there is no use, just prove your nerdiness. I wish that every 10000 points, you get special discounts and offers from Microsoft.

Is it true that after 20000 points you get any free game you want? Its bit stupid cuz 1 game cost around $60 and has 1000 points. You have to pay $1200 buy 20 games (and unlock all achievements which is the hardest part) to get only 1 free game.

#21 Posted by Toriko42 (27562 posts) -
I like to see it as a trophy
#22 Posted by marbigmarbig (1725 posts) -
Good for completionists, I suppose. I do love it when I unlock an achievement though, I don't know why, it doesn't mean much, but they bring so much joy to my small mind. Gives me a chance to go back to games and try to unlock more of them too, so I can get more time from my money.
#23 Posted by XxSTILL_BORNxX (5749 posts) -
nothing it just adds replay value and bragging rights,it also feels good that you have acomplished something worthwhile and it also creats somewhat challenge between players on getting this achievment first and that achievment first but in the end...its all about making you feel good about your self espically when u feel down....just jump in xbox 360 and i totally garuntee that you will be feeling like u can fly once you have done playing with friends/chatting and getting achievments. ^_^

P.S: i never understand why people say if you got more than 10,000 than you dont have a life....i mean come on a day has like 24 hours and you can just spend 4-5 hours of that precious day on gaming and achievments and then u can do the rest of the stuff u do everyday....plus u can get achievments pretty fast by youtube and walkthrough's but challenging ur self is what its all about so yeah :) btw if u see my got games like open season and surfs up and other noob games:P those are for my small sister and i would never in my life buy games like that for achievments only because thats sad.
#24 Posted by dandyman94 (95 posts) -
It dunt do nofin but im glad they have it cus it motivate u when u r playin games + you can brag to ur m8s obout it
#25 Posted by hrdcorenick (51 posts) -
i really like the idea of the gamerscore, it personally makes me want a high one so i seem to get more use out of games beacuse i try to finish all the achivments! also if you have a high gamerscore yu get xbox fame! theres nothing better!!
#26 Posted by mohfrontline (5678 posts) -
adds for replay value, and bragging rights on LIVE. There are leaderboards if you want to join one. I believe the top score on "mygamercard.net" is 260,000 or something.
#27 Posted by EnigmaticBeauty (1297 posts) -

Seriously I want to know what is the real use of gamerscore. When I finish a game, I play back again to unlock achievements. I have +18000 gamerscore. Is it going to help me when I am online or something?Virtual_Erkan

For me, it's something I play with for one year and then create a new one and so on... I've gone through about 3 or 4 gamertags now.

#28 Posted by NinjaBlade753 (408 posts) -
Its basically the same thing as a high score. There is no real reward but its nice to have a high score.
#29 Posted by mookaone (40 posts) -

Your gamerscore accurately measures the length of your E-peen or E-gina.

Lord_Tik

:lol:

#30 Posted by Andrew_Xavier (9625 posts) -

Nothing, zero, it's a useless pointless creation.

The only thing people use it for, is bragging rights, but, seriously, who are you going to impress with your gamerscore? You aren't going to get a good job, an education, and a girlfriend with a high gamerscore, heck, you aren't even going to really impress anyone, since someone will always have a higher score than you, and the person you are trying to impress nine times out of ten is someone you'll never even meet IRL, and therefore, not even worth the wasted effort.

#31 Posted by LRP85 (3094 posts) -

The only thing people use it for, is bragging rights, but, seriously, who are you going to impress with your gamerscore? You aren't going to get a good job, an education, and a girlfriend with a high gamerscore, heck, you aren't even going to really impress anyone, since someone will always have a higher score than you, and the person you are trying to impress nine times out of ten is someone you'll never even meet IRL, and therefore, not even worth the wasted effort.

Andrew_Xavier

That is like saying that highscores was useless.

#32 Posted by Andrew_Xavier (9625 posts) -
[QUOTE="Andrew_Xavier"]

LRP85

They pretty much are, I mean, there's a social aspect I guess to getting a high score in an arcade or something, but, I mean, people have attempted to tell me that getting a high gamerscore is like succeeding in an RL sport...but you know...it's not. Not at all. Not even close.

#33 Posted by Virtual_Erkan (988 posts) -
Alright, alright! Its zero and it is all about bragging rights. No matter what, everytime I unlock an achievement, it gives me motivation. But also, some achievements let's you unlock new gamer picture like in GoW and Mass Effect.
#34 Posted by hardcoregamer92 (1124 posts) -
Gamerscore is just a way of giving people more incentive to further explore the game and all of it's possibilites. Personally, skill is based more on leaderboards (much more) while gamerscore can simply indicate milestones of one's progress in a game.
#35 Posted by naruto7777 (8059 posts) -
better replay value
#36 Posted by fenwickhotmail (7308 posts) -

I ask, what it is the point of gaming to those who find it hard that you don't receive anything.

All it is is bragging rights.

#37 Posted by Solarburn24 (1643 posts) -
I had over 45K gamerscore and I just got tired of it and stopped playin over 6 months ago and just let my account expire. I might have kept playin and making my score grow if they would stop making the achievements so freakin easy and actually put some thought into them.
#38 Posted by cheames748 (667 posts) -
I think that the achievments give the game more replay value as they are an incentive to do things that you might not have done if they weren't there. And a lot of the time, it was worth doing them.
#39 Posted by HGN_Kevin (113 posts) -
ah.Who knows what is it's use is really for.I mean my friend has a gamerscore of 90,000+ and I don't think he has gotten anything out of it.so who knows.
#40 Posted by porky_ownsu (1287 posts) -

In the year 2020 there will be an intergalactic videogame war, and the government has agreed to let mc use this gs system to locate the top 100 gamers in the world who will fight for our freedom!!!

#41 Posted by rocketman001 (874 posts) -
It's for bragging rights and adds replay value
#42 Posted by ag1002 (13499 posts) -
It gives other people a good idea of what kind of a gamer you are. If I see someone with 20,000 gamerscore, then I know that they really like to play games. I can go further than that by looking at each game in their profile. If they have a huge collection of games, but only have like 200 gamerscore out of each game, I would know that they only dabble and don't really worry about completing their games. I can also look at what particular achievements someone has unlocked for any particular game; this can show their singleplayer or multiplayer progress, like if they've beaten the game or achieved the highest rank online. It is very useful that way, but I think achievements are just plain fun to unlock because a lot of them are very challenging, and often encourage you to try a part of the game you might normally have not bothered with.
#43 Posted by Virtual_Erkan (988 posts) -

It gives other people a good idea of what kind of a gamer you are. If I see someone with 20,000 gamerscore, then I know that they really like to play games. I can go further than that by looking at each game in their profile. If they have a huge collection of games, but only have like 200 gamerscore out of each game, I would know that they only dabble and don't really worry about completing their games. I can also look at what particular achievements someone has unlocked for any particular game; this can show their singleplayer or multiplayer progress, like if they've beaten the game or achieved the highest rank online. It is very useful that way, but I think achievements are just plain fun to unlock because a lot of them are very challenging, and often encourage you to try a part of the game you might normally have not bothered with.ag1002

You talked on a good point actually. Some parts about Gamerscore is useful.

#44 Posted by SHPUDY (17 posts) -

just because u dont have any real friends to play videogames with doesnt mean noone. does me and my buddies always compair gamerscore and try to get the highest

#45 Posted by Captain-Ichigo (545 posts) -
[QUOTE="Potemkin2005"]I think they have three very real uses, and they are also one of my favorite things about the 360. 1. They provide you with bragging rights. Wouldn't you love to be able to brag to friends that you've killed 1,000,000 opponents in GoW multiplayer? 2. They offer a tremendous sense of accomplishment. It must feel AWESOME once you've killed that one millionth opponent and the notification pings on your screen. 3. They create a great amount of replay value. Before the 360 I virtually never played through a game a second time and I usually didn't put much time into beating games to 100%. Now I'm playing games multiple times trying to unlock all the achievements.msjr78
4. They show how much of a life that you don't have if your gamer score is in the upper stratosphere.

your right cause i and the people i hang out with are rich so we dont have time to play games much cause we have a life
#46 Posted by angryguywalking (922 posts) -
Gamerscore is something useless and fake that corporate companies made so we go crazy over it and buy more games so they can take our money.
#47 Posted by fenwickhotmail (7308 posts) -

Gamerscore is something useless and fake that corporate companies made so we go crazy over it and buy more games so they can take our money.angryguywalking

Because we all buy games solely for achievement points :S:S Stop crying and grow up.

#49 Posted by senjutsu (1146 posts) -
[QUOTE="Andrew_Xavier"]

LRP85

You are wrong. High scores tell you how you're good compared to others. Gamerscore tells you how many games you bought and nothing more in a way... You're not a better xbox player because of your higher gamerscore... It means nothing... You could have played a lot for useless acheivements like "play for 20 hours in a row" or play a lot of games where they are easy "finish level 1", or you could... well, I don't care what you could do. Gamerscore is useless, but I like to make the top 5 of a high scores chart, so it's not the same at all.

PPS: They should let us use those points to unlock things, like, at 2000 GS for exemple, you would unlock a bunch of themes, avatar clothings/images, etc... Or they could let you gain something in some games based on GS, for exemple, if you make ALL the acheivements in lost odyssey for exemple, you would get the theme for free, or even something real like a figurine/poster/etc. Still, since realy stuff aren't free, I gess they could at least give us the themes and other additionnal content that you normally have to pay for. They would just have to do at least 5 really hard acheivements that only the best will acheive :D