What does your wife think about your video gaming habits?

• 54 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Dogmatic923

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Dogmatic923
Member since 2006 • 734 Posts

My wife hates when i play video games which calls for drastic measures. Every time i want to buy a game it feels like i am giving an adress to the United Nations for a call to war. I even got into a cold war over buying broadband for online gaming. I have to do a list of chores before i can start playing in peace. Not only that but the HDtv I bought for my 360 has been high jacked and as i write this she is watching the Golden girls, uhghughughughg. I even played the smartest trick of all and that's getting her into XBLA games but she still concludes that she doesn't spend as much time as i do playing. How come they don't count the time they spend when they watch shows? I watch zero tv unless its the news. So tell me your experance and whats the most practical approach in dealing with this issue?

Avatar image for Millennium_King
Millennium_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Millennium_King
Member since 2006 • 4362 Posts
my girl is playing viva pinata as we speak. gamer chicks own. :D
whoisryanmack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 whoisryanmack
Member since 2006 • 7675 Posts
a gamer chick would be amazing, but ya, my gf's have been nothing but touchy about gaming. everytime it even looks like i'm picking up a controller she does the little sigh and look away move. she'll make sure to make fun of the fact that i play games alot too.
ray03314506

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 ray03314506
Member since 2006 • 642 Posts
Well we're not married yet but my girlfriend knows that i'am an avid gamer but I know how to allocate my time.  There are games like Lumines, Zuma, and Hexic that she is into to so I use that to my advantage to lure her into gaming on the 360.  Usually when she is around I will give her my time but, for the most part, it doesn't bother her at all that i'am a gamer.  
dimsey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 84

#5 dimsey
Member since 2003 • 267 Posts
Well it depends, sometimes the lady digs me playing.
Atleast when I write reviews, cause she thinks I might be able to make money off it.
Lord knows thats not true, my reviews are horrible.
But she generally doesnt mind as long as I do, which is not a problem, usually.

Anabub

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Anabub
Member since 2006 • 8316 Posts

Actually quite lucky ... she was a definate no no at the start of our relationship ... but the thaw has started on the Ice Queen. Not only did she ENJOY yep thats right ENJOY Viva Pinta but when I got my Wii she even gave that a go and now enjoys her fitness tests on there!

I even managed to blag Broad Band saying it would be good for her clothes shopping LOL and last night I think we hit a new level of understanding .... not only did she sit there and mock me as I got shot all over the place on Lost Planet on LIVE but she also told me to sit down and continue playing it while she cooked me dinner ... blimey I nearly dropped my controller in ashtonishment .... but saying that she is an awful cook so not all good ... she did try though bless her!

But a gaming girlfriend would be my Nivarna ... I can't even imagine that kind of goodness!!

Dogmatic923

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Dogmatic923
Member since 2006 • 734 Posts
Well it depends, sometimes the lady digs me playing.
Atleast when I write reviews, cause she thinks I might be able to make money off it.
Lord knows thats not true, my reviews are horrible.
But she generally doesnt mind as long as I do, which is not a problem, usually.

dimsey
what do you work for a magisine or something?
Donjoelio23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8 Donjoelio23
Member since 2006 • 174 Posts
I bought my girl a pink ds lite so when Im playing, She plays that which seems to kepp her happy quite well
RMANPOWER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#9 RMANPOWER
Member since 2007 • 2734 Posts

When I'm about to play Socom: Combined Assassult online. She doesn't like it cause when I play the game so much, She says I talk about it in my sleep. Also, she told me that one day she is going to hide the game away from me lol That is the only game that she can't stand me playing cause I play it alot, I tried to get her into Halo.

When it came down to playing with her *1 on 1*, She didn't know how to move or shoot. I ran up to her and told her "This is how you walk or run and this is how you shoot" *Shoots and kills her* LMAO She stop playing after that.

xxEnder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#10 xxEnder
Member since 2003 • 1614 Posts
no offense to any of your gf/wives, but they need to get over themselves. they know its something you love, so they should either let you be, or if it really matters to them, theyll find a compromise and learn why you love them and try to be a part of it as well. period.
everson_rm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 everson_rm
Member since 2004 • 1664 Posts

My GF it's not a gamer, but she helps me when she like to watch a game, but it must be a action game, with no gore and blood... it su***

Schumi7WDC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Schumi7WDC
Member since 2004 • 1689 Posts

If it wasn't for my wife, I may have missed this generation of gaming.  After I got out of college, maybe a year or so later, I completely stopped gaming, maybe a PC game here or there when work allowed, but I got a good job as an engineer, and was working really long hours, and gaming just sort of faded out of my life, for close to 3 years.  Then I met my now wife, and she was a hardcore gamer, and it didn't take long before I was back into the swing of things and then some.  We now even will play co op campaigns of games together, and we have played deathmatches in some games to decide an argument we have had.  I couldn't be happier with my gaming situation and wife. 

I do have a close friend though, he's actually a second cousin, that he was a hardcore gamer, he met this girl, she had 2 kids from another relationship, and really did not approve of him gaming at all, thought it was immature, and she also didn't like him playing shooters and horror games with a 2 and 5 year old kid around.  Which I can see, but you still have to let a person be themselves.  Anyway, they broke up over his gaming, got back together, got married, then got divorced over his gaming habits.  I'm not going to say it was the only reason, but I know it was a very big part of why.  They fought constantly over it.  My wife and I would have him over to our house to have a gaming party or something, and she would either come too and **** him out over it, or not come with him and call up on his cell and ream him out for 30 minutes, I mean it was a nightmare. 

starsdestroy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#13 starsdestroy
Member since 2006 • 207 Posts
My wife doesn't mind, but it works out pretty good anyway because she works first shift and I work second shift. I'm up while she is sleeping. I see her on the weekends though.
Avatar image for Millennium_King
Millennium_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Millennium_King
Member since 2006 • 4362 Posts
i got the r6v co-op achievement with my girl. it's heaven, i must say. no, you guys can't have her GT either.
RMANPOWER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#15 RMANPOWER
Member since 2007 • 2734 Posts
If I'm stuck on puzzles or I can't find someone in Socom. Somtimes my gf will look, but it's hard sometimes. She used to play with me on Mario Party and I old school Dreamcast heh
Working_Stiff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Working_Stiff
Member since 2004 • 2253 Posts
My wife "Tolerates" it. Her biggest problem is just that its time that I could be putting to better use, but since I usually do it when she isn't around or is asleep, it doesn't bother her as much. I also do it when she has her friends over, but usually that involves them hogging the HDTV, so Im stuck with the CRT in the basement..eh...
roryrc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 roryrc
Member since 2007 • 460 Posts
as long as there happy it's ok!
Avatar image for darkdemonlord69
darkdemonlord69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 darkdemonlord69
Member since 2004 • 286 Posts
My wife is a gamer. She wasn't at first when i met her. But after watching me play for awhile, she started to get into the games. And now we play together thru games. I couldn't imagine being with someone who would nag on me about a "hobby" of mine. We all have our "hobbies". I'm just glad that my wife enjoys the same things as me. Now if i could only get her into snowboarding with me. Still trying to get her up the slope for that one. lol
Bulova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Bulova
Member since 2003 • 1237 Posts

Favourite line my girl has ever said:

"Honey, why don't you go play video games while I clean the apartment"

Blew my socks off....

Raz0redge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Raz0redge
Member since 2004 • 1796 Posts
I've been gaming for 15+ years and after I got married, she was initially a little frustrated by it, as she didn't have any hobby of her own and would get bored and would also complain that I shouldn't really play games cuz I'm older now. :) After a few "talks" she came to the realization that gaming is as much of a hobby as anything else (she used to enjoy painting) and that it can be a good way of blowing off some steam from a long week's work. I only game during the weekends and that too only for a few hours. So once she saw how it works for me, she's completely fine with it. She's gotten into some adventure games herself on the PC while I'm playing on the 360. She lacks the coordination to play anything really intense and doesn't enjoy it as much, but puzzle and adventure games (where the character doesn't die) is more her style and she has a blast.. Not every spouse is going to understand how gaming can be a fun hobby instead of a waste of time, and even after explaining it if they don't get it the only thing that could be possible is for the other person to just let you game while they try to do something else to occupy themselves. Gaming gets a bad name by the few that spend way too many hours playing games while ignoring everything else. When it's done with some constraint, it can be a fun hobby..
Creeping_Wolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Creeping_Wolf
Member since 2006 • 3399 Posts
My wife bought my Xbox 360 and PS3 for me!  To say she doesn't mind my video game hobby is quite the understatement.  She's an artist and photographer, so she has plenty of things to do to fill her time while I'm gaming.8)
KurupSoldr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#22 KurupSoldr
Member since 2006 • 4094 Posts
my wife loves to watch me play games, in fact she first got into it when i bought socom 2 and we used to play it together all the time she was even in a different clan than me and got really good. But she has never cared she even bought me games. But its definite plus to have someoen like that so i am not complaining
kyle_toker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 kyle_toker
Member since 2004 • 4950 Posts
my girl doesnt care... she plays racing games too
Generic_Dude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#24 Generic_Dude
Member since 2006 • 11707 Posts
She doesn't mind... she just plays PS2 while I'm in the 360.
slayer85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 slayer85
Member since 2006 • 926 Posts
ive had my gf for like 4 years, she watches me play videogames while i get trashed, so.............its pretty chill w/ her, the only thing she hates about me is that i lift monday - saturday and "it takes away from our personal time" meh
nicholas400

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 nicholas400
Member since 2007 • 163 Posts
My wife supports me whole heartedly, not to say she's a gamer though. She did start getting into the Wii, and its hooked up to our 32" LCD tv in the living room, but I have my 360 connected to my computer monitor and I couldn't be happier because we can both be satisfied that I'm not hogging the big nice tv, but I'm still not nagged at about playing. She funded all of our setup (360, 10 games, HD-DVD player add on, Wii, wi-fi, 19" LCD computer screen, HP ViiV computer, Xbox Live membership, Gamefly account, and of course the 32" LCD 720p tv in the living room) God thats nice to have a wife like this. 
slayer85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 slayer85
oh, you got a nice little sugar mama? i want one of those, lol
Sharvie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#28 Sharvie
Member since 2006 • 8895 Posts
I don't have a wife. :D
nicholas400

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 nicholas400
Member since 2007 • 163 Posts
oh, you got a nice little sugar mama? i want one of those, lolslayer85
I guess you could say that, but I also get to watch the kids while she works nights, I work overnights too, so I can justify it and not feel like such a turd.
Avatar image for satellite_basic
satellite_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 satellite_basic
Member since 2002 • 439 Posts

My wife was never into video games but plays Hexic on ocassion.  It doen't bother her at all that I play but it wasn't until I bought a Wii that she has REALLY been enjoying gaming and understanding my passion for it.  Her favorites are SMB, Wario Ware and Wii Sports.  It's pretty amazing how much she's gotten into gaming now and I'm really enjoying it.

So now my XBOX 360 is my main rig but thanks to the Wii my wife has become really engaged in my gaming life.

playwithfire17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 playwithfire17
Member since 2006 • 770 Posts
My girlfriend isn't an avid gamer, but she does support me playing games. When we got a Wii, she really enjoyed Wii Sports, and she tells me to invite the guys over and play Gears and have some drinks at least once a week. We got our DSL hooked up, and while she was sitting on the laptop browsing shopping sites, I was fiddling around on Live, and she made me play Gears online so she could see what it was like, and she wanted to hear "hardcore gamers smacktalking", and we laughed about it haha. Also, she buys games for me, and helped pay for the 46" Bravia V2500 1080p HDTV sitting in front of me :).
Peter_Panda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Peter_Panda
Member since 2005 • 1167 Posts
If it becomes a problem, all you have to do is stop playing for a while. Instead spend your nights out and come back home real late smelling like booze.

She'll complain, to which you answer "Well since I can't play videogames, I had to find another hobby."
Avatar image for kilgoreTrout_xl
kilgoreTrout_xl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 kilgoreTrout_xl
Member since 2005 • 2308 Posts
If it becomes a problem, all you have to do is stop playing for a while. Instead spend your nights out and come back home real late smelling like booze.

She'll complain, to which you answer "Well since I can't play videogames, I had to find another hobby."
Peter_Panda

This is actually a great idea. 
2birds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 2birds
Member since 2006 • 773 Posts
At which point she proberly more than likely leaves you or straps you to a chair until your sober again?
slayer85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 slayer85
omg thats so funny, come home smelling like booze and hookers "look harlot you made the decision!"
Avatar image for xxxxrefusedxxxx
xxxxrefusedxxxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 xxxxrefusedxxxx
Member since 2005 • 356 Posts
My girlfriend of 4 years certainly isn't a gamer, and I can't say she really likes it when I play videogames, but she tolerates it. She knows it's a hobby of mine and that I really enjoy it so she lets me get away with it every so often, but I usually try and play when she's not home or after she's gone to bed. That way she doesn't feel that I'm ignoring her and I'm not hogging the TV and leaving her bored. I bought her a DS last xmas and she does enjoy some of the games for it, but she's very sporadic with it and will end up not playing for weeks on end before she picks it back up again. She likes puzzle games like Dr. Mario though, so I just have to try and find the right game to get her hooked!
fanboy999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 fanboy999
Member since 2003 • 1444 Posts
My wife doesn't give a crap about my games. I have my own game room with my own HDTV and she has the PC and 2 other TVs in the house. She can play computer games or watch TV anytime she wants. I suppose if we only have one TV it would be more of an issue. Bottom line is some women are just controlling and want alot of attention. Video games and those type of women don't mix at all.
REELDIEL3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 REELDIEL3
Member since 2005 • 79 Posts
my wife could careless. Our arrangement is no graphic stuff while the kids are awake. i play racing games w/ my 12 year old. And when the 3 and 2 year olds go to bed its time to unwind. Her only complaint is when its like 1am and i'm mo?#%$F%^&ing my brother and she can her it thru the baby monitor. lol
slayer85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 slayer85
them damn controlling womenz
TrustCo1971

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 TrustCo1971
Member since 2006 • 1721 Posts
Threads of this topic kill me. Number 1...Its not up to your wife what you do with your time if its not hurting anyone or breaking any wedding vows.
Number 2...Nobody owns anyone. Marrige is a give and take thing. Not a give give give and do as I say thing.
Number3...Why do some people look at games as anything different from tv, movies, golf, pool,ect?
Number4...I have been gaming since 1980 and I will game with , or without my wife, or anyones permission. I dont tell my wife what to do..and she dont tell me what to do..

The problem with people are they lose something inside them that allows them to be "MEN" or have a mind of their own. For some reason some men let the women run the marrige. Marrige is ran by 2 people.

Now its ok to give some time here and there to her and the kids. But if she dont see that as an option...Divorce would be my next step....I have been married for 14years and would give it up before I would my rights as a human...

By the way..Me, my wife and our boys all have our own pc's. I also own every console since 1980...We all stay bussy with out own things. ...
-Y2J-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 -Y2J-
Member since 2005 • 1000 Posts
unlike you guys i have a gamerwife, and she knows a thing or too. sent her out to get a console back in december, she got a 360 gears and PGR3. all this makes the s£x sweeter. tell me have you ever spanked your wifes a$$ with your gears of war DVD case
kambion313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 kambion313
Member since 2006 • 712 Posts
well...dude...you might just wanna regain some of that sack you lost when you got married (seriously, wiki it up, you have less testosterone than me) but yea....any time she says anything about your hobbies, point out something she does that is trully annoying, and tell her how you never point it out, just because you love her.....trust me
playwithfire17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 playwithfire17
Member since 2006 • 770 Posts
tell me have you ever spanked your wifes a$$ with your gears of war DVD case-Y2J-
...weird. But on another note, the gf enjoys "non-games", she's getting GH2 and DDR for the 360 lol.
Arthas045

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#44 Arthas045
Member since 2005 • 5800 Posts
She doesnt mind some games, but games like NBA Live and FFXI she hates with a passion...
mistermykol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 mistermykol
Member since 2006 • 393 Posts
I need a gf first.....wife is way down the road. chicks who play games are always ugly and masculine.
LiquidZ08

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 LiquidZ08
Member since 2004 • 8820 Posts

No wift, and currently no GF to complain.  But I'll let you know when that happens ;)

caperjim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 caperjim
Member since 2005 • 59 Posts
Ive been with my girl for 10 years. I gamed since day one and it increased over the years. She dont like gaming but she knows its my hobby. She dont complain when im playing unless we are suppose to go out or something. I play everyday without a problem. She buys me stuff for my systems actually. In my opinion if a girl dont respect your hobby then she dont respect you. She dont have to agree with it but she should accept it because its something you enjoy.
Avatar image for KryptonianGamer
KryptonianGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 KryptonianGamer
Member since 2006 • 25 Posts
Well I don't have a wife or a girlfriend, but my boyfriend plays as well and he's even bought me games before.
caperjim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 caperjim
Member since 2005 • 59 Posts
tell me have you ever spanked your wifes a$$ with your gears of war DVD case-Y2J-
ha ha good one.... ill have to try that tonight.
lombado

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 lombado
Member since 2006 • 151 Posts
It can happen guys! I have a gamer girlfriend, AND shes hot! She started playing Soul Caliber ages ago and that hooked her on games. Now she talks **** and says she can beat me at anything. Thats another thing thats hard to find, a girl gamer that actually GOOD! Cause when you beat their ass they get pissed and its no fun losing on purpose, lol shalom, bros!