What does installing games do?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by korino55 (587 posts) -

Ive seen and heard about people installing games to their Xbox. What does this do?

#2 Posted by chaoscougar1 (36847 posts) -
speeds up load times (generally, this was proven not the case with halo 3), stops the disc from spinning which reduces noise and heat and....i think ive missed something but cant remember what
#3 Posted by -Absinthe- (4181 posts) -
speeds up load times (generally, this was proven not the case with halo 3), stops the disc from spinning which reduces noise and heat and....i think ive missed something but cant remember whatchaoscougar1
I found that it sped up loading time on halo 3 for me quite considerably.
#4 Posted by Iqen (551 posts) -
[QUOTE="chaoscougar1"]speeds up load times (generally, this was proven not the case with halo 3), stops the disc from spinning which reduces noise and heat and....i think ive missed something but cant remember what-Absinthe-
I found that it sped up loading time on halo 3 for me quite considerably.

Unusual.... as it's warned not to install it.
#5 Posted by znator (550 posts) -
Installing to the HDD will initially shorten load times, keep your 360 quiet as the disc drive isn't spinning constantly, and reduces wear and tear and potential disc read errors, however you will still need to have the disc in the tray so you don't just rent games then install them without purchasing them.
#6 Posted by FFVIIROCKS (1176 posts) -

Installing to the HDD will initially shorten load times, keep your 360 quiet as the disc drive isn't spinning constantly, and reduces wear and tear and potential disc read errors, however you will still need to have the disc in the tray so you don't just rent games then install them without purchasing them.znator

Yeah and people are like oh thats lame that you have to have the disc still.. but im like are you stupid? do you really think MS would allow you to rip games on the hard drive and then ditch the disc? Its like common sense.

#7 Posted by Deltapixel (154 posts) -
It made Fable 2 and GTAIV playable again for me.
#8 Posted by qcmatt (144 posts) -
i have put all of my games in the hard drive but i have never see the difference in the loading time
#9 Posted by urine72 (1043 posts) -

I did it with GOW 2, only because I play that game alot. And the less my system has to do for hours on end the longer it will be working. I could give a crap about saving 3 seconds on load times.

#10 Posted by PureDarkness17 (93 posts) -

i did it with my COD4 a year back and when my disc cracked from over playing it still worked and its got loads of cracks in it now and it still works fine :)

#11 Posted by 000000000111 (406 posts) -
i have put all of my games in the hard drive but i have never see the difference in the loading time qcmatt
Maybe not all of my games but what I have I couldn't tell any load time difference.
#12 Posted by MaddogQ80 (415 posts) -

pretty much all this does is slow down load times and prevent your 360 from overheating by having it not work as hard

#14 Posted by cruelweston (2 posts) -
It made Fable 2 and GTAIV playable again for me. Deltapixel
Really? I just bought Fallout 3 from GameStop and they won't take it back. The game works, but it freezes a lot, do you think it could help?
#15 Posted by Stinger78 (5826 posts) -
[QUOTE="Deltapixel"]It made Fable 2 and GTAIV playable again for me. cruelweston
Really? I just bought Fallout 3 from GameStop and they won't take it back. The game works, but it freezes a lot, do you think it could help?

If the game will install completely and start-up then it's the best thing you can do before calling it a coaster.
#16 Posted by Stinger78 (5826 posts) -
[QUOTE="qcmatt"]i have put all of my games in the hard drive but i have never see the difference in the loading time 000000000111
Maybe not all of my games but what I have I couldn't tell any load time difference.

Load time changes may just depend on how new/how good the DVD drive in the system is. If yours is newer then I'd imagine it'd be quick.
#17 Posted by Stinger78 (5826 posts) -

i did it with my COD4 a year back and when my disc cracked from over playing it still worked and its got loads of cracks in it now and it still works fine :)

PureDarkness17
At some point a crack may end up in the boot section of the game, and eventually a cracked disk will fall apart, just hope it doesn't read/spin it too fast and cause it to shatter in your dvd drive.
#18 Posted by ChristopherRage (490 posts) -
Stop quoting/replying to old responses. This thread is from 2009.
#19 Posted by gcfreak898 (1765 posts) -

Speeds up loading times. Plus, you see a difference in draw distance for open world games like GTA.

#20 Posted by Ghost_702 (7405 posts) -
The reason I do it is to drastically reduce the noise my xbox makes when I'm playing a game. It makes a load of difference to me.
#21 Posted by solidruss (23761 posts) -

Old thread is way old..