What are some games you've played that were more fun than you thought they'd be?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by firefox59 (4403 posts) -

Sometimes, although rarely, I'll get a game based purely on gamer hype. In this way, a game can be better than you thought it would be cause you wouldn't have played it without the crazy hype. For me, games like Max Payne 3, Oblivion and Beyond Good and Evil looked boring, but I enjoyed them immensely.

I also liked Assassin's Creed MP more than I thougth I would, even if it isn't a separate game.

#2 Posted by El_Zo1212o (6029 posts) -

Sometimes, although rarely, I'll get a game based purely on gamer hype. In this way, a game can be better than you thought it would be cause you wouldn't have played it without the crazy hype. For me, games like Max Payne 3, Oblivion and Beyond Good and Evil looked boring, but I enjoyed them immensely.

I also liked Assassin's Creed MP more than I thougth I would, even if it isn't a separate game.

firefox59
AC: B multiplayer was amazing. Still the most unique multiplayer game of the generation. AC3 really shat on all that, though. God damn microtransactions. Max Payne 3 was a huge letdown, though. I bought it last week for ten bucks and regretted it immediately. The design is archaic and death comes too quick even on easy. But on topic: Sleeping Dogs. I bought it because snapping thugs in half on Batman was getting boring, but it turned out to be the single best-told story in any open world game I've played this generation. T'hell with GTA4 and Just Cause 2- the gunplay was sharp and heavy, the characters were vivid and complex and the melee combat was flawed, but still a good distraction from Arkham fatigue.
#3 Posted by Exiled_Badger (266 posts) -
Max Payne 3
#4 Posted by lazyathew (3748 posts) -

Dead Rising. I got it for $20 primarily because Tatsunoko vs Capcom introduced me to the character. And the concept seemed intreseting. I figured I'd probably have fun with it. But I was not expecting it to be one of my favorite games this generation.

God of War 3 too. I didn't enjoy the first 2 much. But after a very long time I played 3 and loved it. I guess it's just because the puzzles were better, and less of them. It was the puzzles that really brought down 1 and 2 for me. 3 didn't have that problem. So I loved it.

#5 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (13654 posts) -
[QUOTE="firefox59"]

El_Zo1212o
AC: B multiplayer was amazing. Still the most unique multiplayer game of the generation. AC3 really shat on all that, though. God damn microtransactions. Max Payne 3 was a huge letdown, though. I bought it last week for ten bucks and regretted it immediately. The design is archaic and death comes too quick even on easy. But on topic: Sleeping Dogs. I bought it because snapping thugs in half on Batman was getting boring, but it turned out to be the single best-told story in any open world game I've played this generation. T'hell with GTA4 and Just Cause 2- the gunplay was sharp and heavy, the characters were vivid and complex and the melee combat was flawed, but still a good distraction from Arkham fatigue.

LOL Arkham Fatigue. Ironicly I got Arkham Asylum because of its hype and loved it but damn that world is Dark. I can't play that game for longer than 2 hours because the atmosphere begins to take its toll on my mood. I get weirdly depressed, Maybe its because its a prison (so many bad memories of my childhood). I imagine Batman felt like that aswell. I really like the atmosphere in Bioshock though, it was also Dark but akwardly less depressing. Maybe Grim is a better description.
#6 Posted by insane_metalist (6232 posts) -

Halo 4, Borderlands, Forza Horizon.

#7 Posted by rbamsey (112 posts) -

Binary Domain and Dante's Inferno

#8 Posted by firefox59 (4403 posts) -
[QUOTE="firefox59"]

El_Zo1212o

Yeah AC: B MP was great. I never played AC 3 but even Revelations changed the MP quite a bit and I didn't like it as much. I maxed level in AC: Brotherhood though which I've done maybe 3 times in MP ever. Also can't wait to play Sleeping Dogs. I knew about half way through the demo that I wanted it.
#9 Posted by firefox59 (4403 posts) -

Binary Domain and Dante's Inferno

rbamsey
Beaten both of these. I think I enjoyed Dante's Inferno more than almost anyone else, never really got the dislike for it. The Binary domain demo, however, got me super hyped for the game and then I just didn't enjoy the actual game as much as I thought I would. I hated the trust building system and it ruined the first playthrough for me, but once I realized headshots = easy trust, the 2nd playthrough was more enjoyable.
#10 Posted by TheManofTin (333 posts) -

Crimson Skies: High Road to Revenge, Deus Ex: Human Revolution, Mirror's Edge, Call of Duty (whenever I actually play them, they end up being more fun than the image the bandwagon gives the series), Final Fantasy 1+2 on GBA.

Also, Super Mario Galaxy 2. I KNEW it would be fun...I just didn't know it would be THAT fun. 

#11 Posted by sukraj (23040 posts) -

gears of war.

#12 Posted by piranha_inc (1994 posts) -
Wolverine Origins, up to this day the only movie game I've ever liked
#13 Posted by El_Zo1212o (6029 posts) -
Wolverine Origins, up to this day the only movie game I've ever likedpiranha_inc
Play Captain America: Super Soldier- then you'll have 2. @Lulu: by 'Arkham fatigue', I just meant I was getting bored of chasing highscores in the challenge modes.

Dante's Inferno

rbamsey
Man was that game ever weird. I'm not particularly religious, but just having that game in my house gave me the creeps. Sold it two days after I bought it.
#14 Posted by Hseptic (1566 posts) -

I enjoyed Riddick Assault on Dark Athena every much as the classic Escape from Butcher Bay. Most games out there are actually reasonably good!

#15 Posted by jetjetjaguar (244 posts) -

Saints Row the Third, wasn't epecting much and ended up having a blast.  It's the first "open world" game I have played where I actualy like doing stuff in the open world as much (sometimes more) than the plot line.

#16 Posted by firefox59 (4403 posts) -

I enjoyed Riddick Assault on Dark Athena every much as the classic Escape from Butcher Bay. Most games out there are actually reasonably good!

Hseptic
Almost everyone brings up Assault on Dark Athena as one of those quiet niche games that didn't get any hype but was pretty good. I'll prob. never play it though cause of my backlog.
#17 Posted by gatsbythepig (10486 posts) -

Every Halo except for Reach and Halo 4  As it turned out, the reason I bought an xbox was for Halo.  I couldn't believe how awesome GTA 3 was when it came out.  It was the first game that actually played like the commercials showed.  Before I played the game, I thougt all of the in game scenes were cut-scenes for commercials, like all other games were doing.  I have been very excited about each one since- even GTA IV.

Most other games, like Reach and Halo 4 have been disappointments.

#18 Posted by Yoshi9000 (396 posts) -

Prey. I bought it from the recent xbox live sale for 2.99. Thought it would just be okay, but I ended up loving it, very unique shooter, reminds me of playing halo ce the first time.

#19 Posted by antiAntag0nist (56 posts) -

Sleeping Dogs. I knew it was going to be a decent game going in, but I was not expecting to enjoy it as much as I did. That game is tops and I hope a sequel is coming (although I doubt Square will greenlight one).

#20 Posted by dominer (3316 posts) -

Dragon Age: Origins and Telltale's The Walking Dead Series.

I expected DA:O to be good but I was blown away by the whole journey. I need to buy the game, come to think of it.

Same thing with The Walking Dead, but that game had me involved in the story like no other. People whine about choices not mattering for the story, but I'd rather have an amazing story that I can interact with instead of a terrible story ,like say, Heavy Rain, that I can change extensively.

#21 Posted by immortality20 (7957 posts) -

Shadows of the Damned, Alice: Madness Returns, Crackdown, Borderlands 2 (I HATED the first), Far Cry 3 (hated the first 2), Stuntman Ignition, Singularity, Dark Sector, X-Men Origins: Wolverine, Bourne Conspiracy. I'd really recommend any of these titles to any one who hasn't played them.

#22 Posted by firefox59 (4403 posts) -

Shadows of the Damned, Alice: Madness Returns, Crackdown, Borderlands 2 (I HATED the first), Far Cry 3 (hated the first 2), Stuntman Ignition, Singularity, Dark Sector, X-Men Origins: Wolverine, Bourne Conspiracy. I'd really recommend any of these titles to any one who hasn't played them.

immortality20
I agree with Alice. I never bought the game but the gameplay was way better than I expected and the design was totally unexpected. Singularity is actually one of my favorite games for this gen.
#23 Posted by FastEddie2121 (3081 posts) -

Driver: San Francisco. I played the demo while back and didn't really care for it. I got it on the cheap recently and its now one of my favorite games. The core mechanic in the game is being able to shift in and out of other drivers as you make your way around the city. One of my favorite little things in GTA4 is the banter you hear from passengers if you are driving around like a madman and D:SF does this but many, many times more. There is a huge variety of passengers with their own unique characters and stories to tell. The songs on the radio are top notch too.

Castlevania LOS. Another bargain bin game acquisition that is EPIC!. It is not without its faults such as camera issues, frustrating platforming controls, cheesy writing, etc., but all is forgiven with the incredible gameplay, soundtrack, and wild boss fights.

#24 Posted by Business_Fun (2282 posts) -

[QUOTE="immortality20"]

firefox59

I agree with Alice. I never bought the game but the gameplay was way better than I expected and the design was totally unexpected. Singularity is actually one of my favorite games for this gen.

I actually bought Madness Returns by accident from Games on Demand (hint - press A to check a game's price while browsing, not X :P) but ended up loving it; among other things it has the most skin-crawlingly disgusting final boss I've seen in ages (and I'm not just talking about looks). Really liked Singularity as well - did you find the Lost and Metroid Easter eggs?

It's going back a while but for my own choice I'll go for Too Human. I don't think any of us can deny that in the great scheme of things it was a bit of a balls-up but I had tons of fun with it.

#25 Posted by x-2tha-z (8899 posts) -

Vanquish

Dark Souls and The Last of Us. I knew I'd like these games but I didn't think I'd like them as much as I did. These two are the best games I've ever played in my life.

Darksiders

Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic

Remember Me

Okami

Dead Rising Case Zero

#26 Posted by Ian-Cognito (46 posts) -

Far Cry 3... I'm not a big fan of First Person Shooters as a rule but that game was awesome.

#27 Posted by El_Zo1212o (6029 posts) -

[QUOTE="firefox59"][QUOTE="immortality20"]

Business_Fun

I actually bought Madness Returns by accident from Games on Demand (hint - press A to check a game's price while browsing, not X :P) but ended up loving it; among other things it has the most skin-crawlingly disgusting final boss I've seen in ages (and I'm not just talking about looks). Really liked Singularity as well - did you find the Lost and Metroid Easter eggs?

It's going back a while but for my own choice I'll go for Too Human. I don't think any of us can deny that in the great scheme of things it was a bit of a balls-up but I had tons of fun with it.

I played American McGee's Alice way back in the day. I thought it was the most brilliant(albeit disturbed) game I'd ever played. When Madness Returns was announced, I ran out and preordered it. It was too much- the strangely stomach-churning animatics, the strange new voice for the cheshire cat, and the ceaseless platforming all really sealed the deal for me. I sold it while I could still get decent value for it, strangely bad port of the original Alice or no. It really was the most disturbing game I'd played since Dante's.
#28 Posted by x-2tha-z (8899 posts) -
[QUOTE="Business_Fun"]

[QUOTE="firefox59"] I agree with Alice. I never bought the game but the gameplay was way better than I expected and the design was totally unexpected. Singularity is actually one of my favorite games for this gen.El_Zo1212o

I played American McGee's Alice way back in the day. I thought it was the most brilliant(albeit disturbed) game I'd ever played. When Madness Returns was announced, I ran out and preordered it. It was too much- the strangely stomach-churning animatics, the strange new voice for the cheshire cat, and the ceaseless platforming all really sealed the deal for me. I sold it while I could still get decent value for it, strangely bad port of the original Alice or no. It really was the most disturbing game I'd played since Dante's.

I bought Madness Returns on console because I wanted to play the original game with a controller. I'd never played the original before and I'd heard great things about it. Turns out the console port of the original Alice a absolutely awful and I didn't think much of the actual game, either. No wonder they gave it away for free. I forced myself to play through the whole game and I think it kinda soured the whole Alice thing for me because even though Madness Returns seems to be a much better game, I can't bring myself to continue to play it. I'm only an hour or so into it. I should've just forgot about the original and bought the PC version of Madness Returns. The PhysX on this game on PC looks awesome.
#29 Posted by Business_Fun (2282 posts) -

[QUOTE="Business_Fun"]

[QUOTE="firefox59"] I agree with Alice. I never bought the game but the gameplay was way better than I expected and the design was totally unexpected. Singularity is actually one of my favorite games for this gen.El_Zo1212o

I rather liked the platforming. Sure, it could get a little samey after a while but as a rule I found it to be a pleasant throwback to the days when I played platformers I lot more than I do now. Jumping, twirling and catching just enough air to make it to the next ledge was all most pleasing :)

But it was the world design that pulled me on, my desire to see what new atrocity waited around every corner. Not what you might call greeting card material.

#30 Posted by firefox59 (4403 posts) -

[QUOTE="firefox59"][QUOTE="immortality20"]

Business_Fun

I loved Too Human. I had like 5 characters and maxed two of them I think. I played the demo so I knew I'd like the game, but not to that degree.
#31 Posted by Business_Fun (2282 posts) -

I loved Too Human. I had like 5 characters and maxed two of them I think. I played the demo so I knew I'd like the game, but not to that degree.firefox59

I found that each of the character classes felt significantly different compared to each other, which added greatly to replay value. Too Human was such a missed oppourtnity; as I played I felt like there was an immense world and body of lore just begging to be explored and expanded upopn, but sadly it looks like that isn't going to happen now.

#32 Posted by shaunchgo (4605 posts) -
Assassin's Creed 2, Forza 3.
#33 Posted by The_Last_Ride (72286 posts) -
Assassin's Creed 2, Forza 3.shaunchgo
i would probably say the same. Dragon Age, Mass Effect and Tomb Raider also
#34 Posted by firefox59 (4403 posts) -

[QUOTE="firefox59"] I loved Too Human. I had like 5 characters and maxed two of them I think. I played the demo so I knew I'd like the game, but not to that degree.Business_Fun

I found that each of the character classes felt significantly different compared to each other, which added greatly to replay value. Too Human was such a missed oppourtnity; as I played I felt like there was an immense world and body of lore just begging to be explored and expanded upopn, but sadly it looks like that isn't going to happen now.

They definitely had a trilogy planned, one that would have greatly expanded upon the lore and mythology.
#35 Posted by maaatter (36 posts) -

Assassin's Creed II and Borderlands 2, both greatly exceeded my expectations. 

#36 Posted by catderpillar (11 posts) -
The Saboteur. I didn't really expect much at all from the game, but it turned out to be one of my favourites!
#37 Posted by piranha_inc (1994 posts) -
I just remembered another one. I had a blast playing Vanquish; and I haven't heard much of it around here
#38 Posted by Blueresident87 (5339 posts) -

Dark Souls

#39 Posted by firefox59 (4403 posts) -
I just remembered another one. I had a blast playing Vanquish; and I haven't heard much of it around herepiranha_inc
GREAT game. The writing and plot are sometimes cheesy/cliche but everything else is dead on.
#40 Posted by XxAK47xX (4723 posts) -
Max Payne 3Exiled_Badger
i knew it was good and it was good. what surprised me was the MP part. That was pretty cool.