What are my options?

#1 Posted by strothers101 (237 posts) -

So my GF went and fucked up pretty hard, she used my xbox one to place a cup of water on and then spilled said water all over the fucking console. So what are my options apart from murdering her until she dies? The console is under warrant buuuuuuut im guessing it doesnt cover this kind of thing. Maybe leave it next to a fan overnight or something? The damage is pretty bad, the console wont start (keeps tripping the safety switch) and I poured about half a cup of water out of it...yay.

#2 Edited by BattleSpectre (5966 posts) -

So wait, let me get this straight..... she used your Xbox One so she could rest a cup of water on to the console? I don't understand what was going through her head, couldn't she just have used any other appliance around the house, why did it have to be your Xbox One?

Not to rub salt into the wound but is she mentally retarded? I don't blame you for wanting to kill her but hey I guess we all do mistakes even if they're as stupid as this one. Your options are very slim at this point, unfortunately the console is F**** no matter what you do now.

Best bet is to ring up Microsoft and ask how much a repair would cost for this type of accident, or find a business who repairs consoles around your area. Sorry to hear this man, I would of went insane you're obviously handling this better than I would have.

#3 Edited by strothers101 (237 posts) -

@BattleSpectre: She was cleaning, pulled the console out of its normal spot and placed it on the top of the tv cabinet...then placed the water without thinking on it just like she normally would do with the cabinet, ill call MS, im so fucking angry dude.

#4 Posted by BattleSpectre (5966 posts) -

@strothers101: It's a shame. Out of curiosity could you inform me what Microsoft quotes you on a fix, or what they recommend?

#5 Posted by strothers101 (237 posts) -

Sure, the call centre opens up on a couple of hours. I'll make a mental note to send you a pm

#6 Posted by juboner (423 posts) -

option A: Now you can tell her not to touch your electronics and that you will clean under them.

option B: grab her throat and shake a la Homer and Bart style ; )

#7 Posted by ryanc22 (172 posts) -

I hope she gave you some of the best sex ever after that.

#8 Posted by vl4d_l3nin (864 posts) -

You can call MS, but I can almost guarantee they wont do shit.

#9 Posted by thenephariouson (3952 posts) -

Place the X1 upside down (and yes I am being serious) in a warm room and leave for 48 hours until all water residue is gone then try powering up, if it doesn't start up im afraid its fooked!!

#10 Posted by slakkmichael (28 posts) -

Your GF is crazy.

#11 Edited by cainetao11 (16973 posts) -

@BattleSpectre: She was cleaning, pulled the console out of its normal spot and placed it on the top of the tv cabinet...then placed the water without thinking on it just like she normally would do with the cabinet, ill call MS, im so fucking angry dude.

Call MS. She pays for repairs/replacement, and never cleans around it again, that is your chore from now on.

#12 Posted by hei420 (11 posts) -

that sucks man sorry to hear

#13 Edited by elkoldo (1012 posts) -

Ok just call up on MS.That seems the only option , though :

You can call MS, but I can almost guarantee they wont do shit.

And I don't judge the poor little girl.Actually I've done much more stupid things.

#14 Posted by Solarplex (52 posts) -

assuming the warranty is voided, open that puppy up and put it in a big arse container of rise, cant hurt since its broken. works on other devices but i have no experience with this sort of large wet component dilemma.

#15 Posted by Undue_Influence (44 posts) -

Was going to recommend Solarplex's advice. Get some rice as it will absorb all the water. It work's on Iphones and other things so should work. On the bright side everything saved is cloud based now so if you need to get a replacement you will not lose any progress on games, just have to reinstall stuff.

#16 Edited by BattleSpectre (5966 posts) -

I apologize to the original poster if it's not my place to say, but he did keep his word and sent me a pm on what happened with the call to Microsoft.

Because it's under warranty, Microsoft told him they will fix the console, and all he has to do now is send the console in for repair. I Just wanted to let everyone know about the good news, so you guys can stop wondering about the situation.

#17 Edited by xhawk27 (7232 posts) -

@BattleSpectre said:

I apologize to the original poster if it's not my place to say, but he did keep his word and sent me a pm on what happened with the call to Microsoft.

Because it's under warranty, Microsoft told him they will fix the console, and all he has to do now is send the console in for repair. I Just wanted to let everyone know about the good news, so you guys can stop wondering about the situation.

Sony would never have done that. They would have charged him full price for the repair. Next time don't let your GF use your console as a coaster.

#18 Posted by huerito323 (1374 posts) -

Lubeless anal, that will teach her not to mess with your stuff.

#19 Edited by sukraj (22296 posts) -

I hope you can fix it.

#20 Posted by Master_Of_Fools (1334 posts) -

Well...that's karma for getting an Xbox One in the 1st place...