Unwarranted 'Disc Read Errors'

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Thulhu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 Thulhu
Member since 2006 • 25 Posts

I've been having this problem for a while now, and I've only just gotten around to posting about it.  It doesn't happen TOO often, but when it does it happens multiple times, and is quite enough to irritate me.  Basically I'll be playing a game and at some random point, the game will stop playing and I'll get an error saying 'This disc is unreadable.'  There are times when it occurs when it's evident that the game is loading something (i.e. stepping into the Arena on Oblivion), but other times it just happens completely at random.  The first couple times it happened was with Dead Rising and Oblivion, which I bought used; I chalked it up to getting faulty discs.  It only happened once or twice with Dead Rising, then never again, but it happened quite a few times with Oblivion; currently, after exchanging the game in twice for different (still used) copies, I am now on my third copy of Oblivion.  I haven't experienced it yet, because I haven't played with my new disc but once since I got it.

However, it has also happened in Gears of War, Chromehounds, and N3, all of which I bought brand new.  With N3 it happened literally an hour into playing the game for the first time ever.  My X360 unit is horizontal, has plenty of ventilation (and no Intercooler; I heard enough horror stories to keep me from wasting my time with one), and I bought the thing new on December 27th.

Basically the only thing keeping me from just using my PRP to get a new one is the fact that I don't know if they'd let me keep my hard drive without paying for a new one.

OFF-TOPIC:  This has been bugging me, so I'll ask; if I completely erase a game's save data from my hard drive, do the achievements and GamerScore points from that game go with it, or are they permanent?

Thanks for your help, all!

Raz0redge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 Raz0redge
Member since 2004 • 1796 Posts

I've been having this problem for a while now, and I've only just gotten around to posting about it. It doesn't happen TOO often, but when it does it happens multiple times, and is quite enough to irritate me. Basically I'll be playing a game and at some random point, the game will stop playing and I'll get an error saying 'This disc is unreadable.' There are times when it occurs when it's evident that the game is loading something (i.e. stepping into the Arena on Oblivion), but other times it just happens completely at random. The first couple times it happened was with Dead Rising and Oblivion, which I bought used; I chalked it up to getting faulty discs. It only happened once or twice with Dead Rising, then never again, but it happened quite a few times with Oblivion; currently, after exchanging the game in twice for different (still used) copies, I am now on my third copy of Oblivion. I haven't experienced it yet, because I haven't played with my new disc but once since I got it.

However, it has also happened in Gears of War, Chromehounds, and N3, all of which I bought brand new. With N3 it happened literally an hour into playing the game for the first time ever. My X360 unit is horizontal, has plenty of ventilation (and no Intercooler; I heard enough horror stories to keep me from wasting my time with one), and I bought the thing new on December 27th.

Thulhu

I've had my console since July of last year and so far I've had this error come up twice, and I usually just leave a single DVD in the console for a long while without switching. Back then I only had GRAW anyway, so a random error is OK as long as it isn't persistent.

Basically the only thing keeping me from just using my PRP to get a new one is the fact that I don't know if they'd let me keep my hard drive without paying for a new one.

Thulhu

You can keep your HDD, just take the console and the HDD with you and when you have them replace your console for the new one, have them keep the HDD and you can use your own.

OFF-TOPIC: This has been bugging me, so I'll ask; if I completely erase a game's save data from my hard drive, do the achievements and GamerScore points from that game go with it, or are they permanent?

Thanks for your help, all!

Thulhu

The achievements and gamescore is tracked on the XBL servers as long as you are connected. So you can erase everything from the HDD and still retain those things.
Thulhu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 Thulhu
Member since 2006 • 25 Posts
Jeez, that was fast, AND thorough. Thanks so much!