Unlocking Achievements Can Now Earn You XBL Discounts

This topic is locked from further discussion.

balfe1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 balfe1990
Member since 2009 • 6747 Posts

Microsoft has launched a new Xbox Live Rewards scheme that offers players discounts according to their Gamerscore.

There are three separate reward tiers. Those with a Gamerscore between 3,000 and 9,999 will be sent a Special Gift worth 15p. Those with a Gamerscore between 10,000 and 24,999 receive the gift and are entitled to a 1% rebate on all purchases from Xbox Live Marketplace every month. And last up, those with a Gamerscore in excess of 25,000 will earn a 2% rebate on all purchases every month, as well as the birthday gift.

To be eligible all you have to do isactivate the Xbox LIVE Rewards schemeon your Xbox Live Gold account. All Marketplace purchases qualify towards the rebates, with the exception of Microsoft Points and Xbox Live memberships.

achievement1.jpg

LINK.

-

-

-

2% rebate...LMAO

EvilSelf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

#2 EvilSelf
Member since 2010 • 3619 Posts

One thing that ticked me off is they waited until almost the end of the current generation to unveil such a deal. Obviously they are trying to maximize profits before this gen goes away.

balfe1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 balfe1990

One thing that ticked me off is they waited until almost the end of the current generation to unveil such a deal. Obviously they are trying to maximize profits before this gen goes away.

EvilSelf

I'd hardly class this as a "deal". MS never come out with anything that rivals PSN+ or any similar service that offers excellent value for money. Never.

A 2% rebate is so laughable, most people won't even sign up to it. They'll hear, "Achievements earn discounts", think "Wow", then hear "2%" and forget it ever existed, because it's not exciting and the number could literally barely get any smaller.

If they said anyone with 50K GS or over would be entitled to a 10%, then people would actually sit up and listen. They'd be actively buying games to improve their gamerscore to be able to access the discount. Everybody wins.

Next gen, instead of blocking used games or whatever, Microsoft should include a one time use code with every new copy of a game that "unlocks" the ability to unlock achievements. Much like the fundamental idea above, 10,000GS (equal to 8 or 9 FULL, NEW retail titles) would net you a 5% discount on all XBL purchases. That continues all the way up to 100,000(or something) which would earn you a 25% discount). People buy more new games, less on used games and spend more on the marketplace.

If they implemented a system like that, I'd be hard pressed to point out the loser in that scenario.

Avatar image for Soulreavercross
Soulreavercross

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#4 Soulreavercross
Member since 2003 • 19890 Posts
This is laughable! And I'm not interested. Microsoft should have come better. On another note, I am a silver subscriber and I need a gold membership to benefit from this.
Legendaryscmt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Legendaryscmt
Member since 2005 • 12532 Posts

I could buy a grape with those rebates.

Darkslayer16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Darkslayer16
Member since 2006 • 3619 Posts

Typical Microsoft.. 2% for top tier is hilarious

Blueresident87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 8

#7 Blueresident87
Member since 2007 • 5903 Posts

2% is a joke, especially considering all the time/money it takes to amass such a gamerscore. MS could have done much better than this, I won't even be signing up and I'm well above the gamerscore value for the 2% discount.

Avatar image for Cyanide4Suicid3
Cyanide4Suicid3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Cyanide4Suicid3
Member since 2012 • 733 Posts
I might sign up just because my birthday is October 3rd, but I rarely buy anything from Xbox Live so yeah... Lol
i-rock-socks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9 i-rock-socks
Member since 2007 • 3826 Posts

even if the 2% counted on everything u bought thus far, for someone like me who spent upwards of 10,000 dollars; itd only come out to 200$ (which would be acceptable)

the 2% rebate on things i wont buy makes me only want to take my business elsewhere, because 2% is an insult not a reward. at launch it could have been a nice lil thing that added up over the years, but it happening now is a joke.

Skybluesam1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Skybluesam1
Member since 2012 • 25 Posts
What an absolute joke I mean come on 2% what can people even get with that! Also half the people on xbox won`t even get 2% due to them not having a high enough gamerscore. Gheeez Microsoft seem to be getting more and more stingy everyday.
balfe1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 balfe1990

The fine print states that a maximum of 30,000MSP can be claimed as long as the offer stands.

That means if you spent $19,000 on DLC, Microsoft would cut you off. Yeeeaah.

What a joke.

k2theswiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#12 k2theswiss
Member since 2007 • 16599 Posts

... .... they can keep their 2%. Why couldn't they do something like bing? gain points for x amount you do.

Blueresident87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 8

#13 Blueresident87
Member since 2007 • 5903 Posts

even if the 2% counted on everything u bought thus far, for someone like me who spent upwards of 10,000 dollars; itd only come out to 200$ (which would be acceptable)

the 2% rebate on things i wont buy makes me only want to take my business elsewhere, because 2% is an insult not a reward. at launch it could have been a nice lil thing that added up over the years, but it happening now is a joke.

i-rock-socks

That's just it, Microsoft doing this now feels insulting because we've been spending money on their service for years, and they wait until the gen is nearly over to give a paltry 2% discount...

Vari3ty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Vari3ty
Member since 2009 • 11111 Posts

Not surprised by this at all, I didn't see why people were getting excited when this was first announced as it was obvious the "rewards" would be crappy.

Matthew-first

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Matthew-first
Member since 2005 • 3318 Posts

I AM A LEGEND!

2%? Oh you... Microsoft, this is just too much... :roll:
:|

Wonder what gift will I get for my bday?

An Avatar prop? thanks! :roll:

Rattlesnake_8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#16 Rattlesnake_8
Member since 2004 • 18452 Posts
2% is crazy.. why would they make it so low? Way to insult your customers.
firefox59

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 firefox59
Member since 2005 • 4530 Posts

You guys are funny flipping out over this. They could have given no discount. If it doesn't affect you much then why the hell complain about it. Sony doesn't give any discount so who cares. It just seems to me like Microsoft wasted time putting this together, that's all.

wwervin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#18 wwervin
Member since 2003 • 10274 Posts
I'm a little intrigued what these "birthday gifts" are but knowing MS it'll probably be something stupid avatar related. 2% is laughable.. I don't even buy that much DLC on the marketplace. I usually try and get add ons for games in the GH versions or whatever so I don't have to spend money. Would I be rewarded for that? Nope! 2% of very little is very VERY little. I don't think it'll do anything for me. They should've done it like PSN+ and given out free games and points every so often. That would've been worth it. 1-2% discounts are hard to take seriously.
Megaflush24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#19 Megaflush24
Member since 2003 • 173 Posts
Given that this was not available previously... I will gladly accept this offer for no additional cost. Don't see why people are complaining really. I like this essentially free incentive. I stress the word free meaning I'm not paying extra for this.
wwervin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#20 wwervin
Member since 2003 • 10274 Posts
^ People are complaining because Microsoft is being cheap as hell and passing it on as if it's some big incentive to get into Xbox Live. At least PSN+ (the paid online service) offers free games and other stuff every so often. If Microsoft was gonna "reward" us for our continued use of their services they could at the very least offer us a real reward. Maybe points or a free game or something every month? This isn't even a reward. They're just giving back 1% (or 2 if you've spent a lot of time playing their games) of the points you SPEND each month. So it takes you buying something for them to even think about you. Why shouldn't we complain about it?
Vari3ty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Vari3ty
Member since 2009 • 11111 Posts

You guys are funny flipping out over this. They could have given no discount. If it doesn't affect you much then why the hell complain about it. Sony doesn't give any discount so who cares. It just seems to me like Microsoft wasted time putting this together, that's all.

firefox59

Considering Sony offers free multiplayer and PSN+ (which for the same cost as Live gives you access to free games every month), this deal is absolute s***.

firefox59

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 firefox59
Member since 2005 • 4530 Posts

[QUOTE="firefox59"]

Vari3ty

Considering Sony offers free multiplayer and PSN+ (which for the same cost as Live gives you access to free games every month), this deal is absolute s***.

I don't want to here crap about PSN. Not being able to talk to your friends unless your playing the same game is ridiculous and automatically voids PSN from being better than XBL.
mariokart64fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 101

User Lists: 1

#23 mariokart64fan
Member since 2003 • 20828 Posts

club nintendo is way better then this , 2 classic games or downloads to choose from , or other various items from points you get when buying nintendo and now some third party games, on 3ds ds wii and soon wii u ,

psn plus may be better then this deal as well so no thanks you watch that gift be a avatar thing of some sort im not looking forward to any of this ,

give me games for those points or just quit trying

ch2423

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#24 ch2423
Member since 2004 • 1978 Posts
Forget the 2% cash back bonus crap, the real deal is the $.25 birthday gift. They pulled out all the stops and spent a whole quarter on us!
Avatar image for IndependenceYou
IndependenceYou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#25 IndependenceYou
Member since 2012 • 140 Posts
Thats ingenious.
Avatar image for IndependenceYou
IndependenceYou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#26 IndependenceYou
Member since 2012 • 140 Posts

[QUOTE="EvilSelf"]

balfe1990

I'd hardly class this as a "deal". MS never come out with anything that rivals PSN+ or any similar service that offers excellent value for money. Never.

A 2% rebate is so laughable, most people won't even sign up to it. They'll hear, "Achievements earn discounts", think "Wow", then hear "2%" and forget it ever existed, because it's not exciting and the number could literally barely get any smaller.

If they said anyone with 50K GS or over would be entitled to a 10%, then people would actually sit up and listen. They'd be actively buying games to improve their gamerscore to be able to access the discount. Everybody wins.

Next gen, instead of blocking used games or whatever, Microsoft should include a one time use code with every new copy of a game that "unlocks" the ability to unlock achievements. Much like the fundamental idea above, 10,000GS (equal to 8 or 9 FULL, NEW retail titles) would net you a 5% discount on all XBL purchases. That continues all the way up to 100,000(or something) which would earn you a 25% discount). People buy more new games, less on used games and spend more on the marketplace.

If they implemented a system like that, I'd be hard pressed to point out the loser in that scenario.

balfe1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 balfe1990

Forget the 2% cash back bonus crap, the real deal is the $.25 birthday gift. They pulled out all the stops and spent a whole quarter on us!ch2423

You get 20MSP as your bday "gift". #anotherslaptotheface

thetravman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 thetravman
Member since 2003 • 3592 Posts

Spend $100, you get $2 back. Yay...

Hsk_Dark_Link

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Hsk_Dark_Link
Member since 2006 • 55 Posts

Lmao 2% rebate! Thanks Microsoft! You're a billion dollar company, thanks for refunding me 30 cents on my next map expansion pack for Halo 4/Gears of War 3...

rigzzsy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 rigzzsy
Member since 2010 • 349 Posts

pfff

ZamboniGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 ZamboniGamer
Member since 2011 • 530 Posts

[QUOTE="Vari3ty"]

[QUOTE="firefox59"]

firefox59

I don't want to here crap about PSN. Not being able to talk to your friends unless your playing the same game is ridiculous and automatically voids PSN from being better than XBL.

I would trade party chat for free "full" games in a heart beat! Say what you want, PSN+ is a better deal than Live.