turn off x1 completely?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

adders99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 adders99
Member since 2005 • 2623 Posts

Hey again all!,

I was wondering how to turn off the x1 completely. i mean when you turn it off it just goes into standby mode but I dont really care for that and I want to turn it fully off but cant seem to find the option. any help would be great!!

Thanks. :)

Avatar image for deactivated-5f768591970d3
deactivated-5f768591970d3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 deactivated-5f768591970d3
Member since 2004 • 1255 Posts

My question is about TV. Can you watch TV with your regular cable box and remote while xbox is in standby? My wife certainly doesnt want to navigate with xbox...

hamster3_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By hamster3_3
Member since 2007 • 130 Posts

I think Energy-saving is turning it off fully.

Settings > Power & startup

rgsniper1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By rgsniper1
Member since 2003 • 9398 Posts

@ankor77:

From what I have figured out, no. But you can turn on your xbox switch to tv and still use your cable provider remote and screen just as if the xbox wasn't even on. The only difference is if you intentionally go out of the tv option you can still do all your other xbox stuff.

All the xbox options are doing is giving you another way to control your cable box dvr, so two options for controlling it - either through the xbox onebox or through the way it was before you had an xbox.

BattleSpectre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 BattleSpectre
Member since 2009 • 7989 Posts

Yeah energy-saving mode is having it turned off completely. If that doesn't satisfy you, can't you just turn off the switch to the power outlet? Surely it won't be using any electricity then.

Avatar image for CookieMap_basic
CookieMap_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By CookieMap_basic
Member since 2002 • 112 Posts

This is something I've been wondering about as well.

I know the PS4 always flashes you warnings of using "Turn Off PS4" before you unplug the power-cable to avoid damage to the system or HDD (and DON'T use "Enter Standby Mode" if you plan to unplug the system during that time), but the way the X1 is kind of described - they don't say any of that between "Energy-Saving Mode" and "Instant-On". The way Microsoft shows this - is that both essentially do use energy and is not a "full" complete power off - 0.5 Watt @ Energy Saver vs 15 Watt @ Instant-On.

So - if you have a power-outage, and you say XBOX OFF - does it really matter what "Power-Mode" you are on? Maybe Microsoft "off" mechanism works a bit more safely than how the PS4 implemented its standby in terms of expecting potential power-outages/switch-offs?

Anybody know? This is from a guy who frequently turns off his consoles via a surge-protector AND experiences random power-outages...

jekyll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 145

#7 jekyll
Member since 2002 • 9140 Posts

@ankor77 said:

My question is about TV. Can you watch TV with your regular cable box and remote while xbox is in standby? My wife certainly doesnt want to navigate with xbox...

I solve that by not having my Verizon box plugged into the X1 at all. If I say "Xbox On", it turns everything on, but if I'm not going to be watching TV, I see little point in having my Verizon box be turned on for no reason.

That said, my brief experience with Kinect voice recognition has been so overwhelmingly positive I may just give it a go. I might want to try football some Sunday with the NFL app snapped.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f768591970d3
deactivated-5f768591970d3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 deactivated-5f768591970d3
Member since 2004 • 1255 Posts

My wife made me unplug verizon box from the xb1 because she wants nothing to do with the xb1. I couldnt turn on the tv without the xb1 being on somewhat

driftingsilvia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#9 driftingsilvia
Member since 2005 • 4089 Posts

This is something that I hope can be changed with a patch. Not being able to completely shut the system off is a HUGE flaw in my opinion. May not seem like much, but all that little amounts of power being used on standby add up to your electric bill later.

BlueCash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 BlueCash
Member since 2006 • 518 Posts

@ankor77 said:

My wife made me unplug verizon box from the xb1 because she wants nothing to do with the xb1. I couldnt turn on the tv without the xb1 being on somewhat

I have my X1 in the living room and I was afraid something similar would happen to me with the non tech savy occupants of my household. So I made the transition as painless as possible. I replaced the blu ray player with X1 and connected it the the tv and Directv. Now it just looks like a sleek blu ray box and its so quiet no one knows its even on. I have it set where all anyone has to do is say "Xbox on," "Xbox watch TV" and when finished just say "Xbox turn off" and all three turn off (TV, Directv, and X1.)

adders99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 adders99
Member since 2005 • 2623 Posts

@driftingsilvia said:

This is something that I hope can be changed with a patch. Not being able to completely shut the system off is a HUGE flaw in my opinion. May not seem like much, but all that little amounts of power being used on standby add up to your electric bill later.

Yeah I found it... You just have to go to settings and set it to energysaving mode and it turns off completely just like the 360 :)

rrjim1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12 rrjim1
Member since 2005 • 1983 Posts

I use a UPS with a switch pluged into one socket, if I want to turn my X1 completely off I just throw the switch. I believe I purchased it at walmart.

jekyll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 145

#13 jekyll
Member since 2002 • 9140 Posts

@driftingsilvia said:

Whatever that savings amount is, it's so tiny that it's irrelevant to someone who just spent $500 on a console, and may be undone by the surge required to power all the way up from being totally off. I remember my high school physics teacher explaining that just leaving a light on requires less electric than turning it on and off several times per day.

norrel2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By norrel2007
Member since 2007 • 102 Posts

hold the power button for 5 seconds that works