Tips on how to fix a cracked disc?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by FlyinH1GH (137 posts) -

I don't know how it happened but not long ago my guitar hero III disk cracked at the very middle of the disk in 2 places right next to each other and go until the end of the "xbox 360" ring around the middle of the disk (so its not very big at all).

Whenever I try to play it now I can sometimes get to about 2 songs through and it will say disc not readable and sometimes I cant even get it to work at all.

Does anybody have any tips on how to fix my disc because I dont really want to drop 30 bucks on a used game of it when gt: world tour is coming out soon.

Any help would be appreciated.

#2 Posted by cheetfreak (1986 posts) -
Buy a new one
#3 Posted by thebatcat (537 posts) -

Sadly, i think you are screwed. My Crackdown disc cracked and it would play some then freak out.

It really sucks but what is cool is that coming soon we will be able to download the games onto our hard drives and just have to have the game in the tray. At that point i think cracked disc issues will go away since it will still be able to read that the disc is in the tray but does not need the disc to play.

#4 Posted by spyke412 (882 posts) -
Tape it.
#5 Posted by Tim_Allen (75 posts) -
yeah at least it was guitar hero and noy something expensive
#6 Posted by FlyinH1GH (137 posts) -

im not sure sure on the tape idea and i already said im NOT going to buy a new one because gh iv is coming soon

any other ideas to fix it?

#7 Posted by FirstDiscovery (5486 posts) -
Youve got no other choice but to email Activision for a replacement disc. Itll cost you a bit, but it sure as heck is better than buying the game again
#8 Posted by KUHawksFan (195 posts) -
You can get a replacement disk for $20.
#9 Posted by FlyinH1GH (137 posts) -

how do i get it for $20

also does anybody know how to fix it plz

#10 Posted by wii_dude101 (318 posts) -
One thing you can try is toothpaste, I had a HUGE crack going all the way down my UT3 disk, Used some toothpaste washed it off the disc, and it works fine now.
#11 Posted by wii_dude101 (318 posts) -
One thing you can try is toothpaste, I had a HUGE crack going all the way down my UT3 disk, Used some toothpaste washed it off the disc, and it works fine now.
#12 Posted by NOD_Grindking (2778 posts) -

does anybody know how to fix it plz

FlyinH1GH

Dude, ITS BROKEN! You Can't fix it! It's not like braking a piece off a headset and taping it back on....the disc is cracked, face it!

#13 Posted by FlyinH1GH (137 posts) -
[QUOTE="FlyinH1GH"]

does anybody know how to fix it plz

NOD_Grindking

Dude, ITS BROKEN! You Can't fix it! It's not like braking a piece off a headset and taping it back on....the disc is cracked, face it!

ok man take it easy ....if ur not going to make any suggestions to fix it then plz dont post to tell me its broken and unfixable

#14 Posted by ghostfacekilla3 (58 posts) -
take it to fred meyers and exchange for a new one
#15 Posted by FlyinH1GH (137 posts) -

One thing you can try is toothpaste, I had a HUGE crack going all the way down my UT3 disk, Used some toothpaste washed it off the disc, and it works fine now.wii_dude101

toothpaste?? it might be worth a try if someone says absolutely not

what kind of it? i dont want to ruin it worse because it still works for about 2-3 songs each time i put it in

#16 Posted by NOD_Grindking (2778 posts) -

ok man take it easy man....if ur not going to make any suggestions to fix it then plz dont post to tell me its broken and unfixable

FlyinH1GH

but DUDE, ITS NOT FIXABLE! It's not a scratch that you can clean or scuff off....its physical broken apart. Unless you can somehow summon the use of the gods to melt it back together, its not happening.

The only other thing I can suggest is rent it from blockbuster, and swap the discs.

#17 Posted by FlyinH1GH (137 posts) -
[QUOTE="FlyinH1GH"]

ok man take it easy man....if ur not going to make any suggestions to fix it then plz dont post to tell me its broken and unfixable

NOD_Grindking

but DUDE, ITS NOT FIXABLE! It's not a scratch that you can clean or scuff off....its physical broken apart. Unless you can somehow summon the use of the gods to melt it back together, its not happening.

The only other thing I can suggest is rent it from blockbuster, and swap the discs.

yeah but the guy who posted like 5 above this said that he had the same problem and FIXED IT so its fixable for him at least and im pretty sure he aint god....

anyways he says he used toothpaste so what do you think about that?

#18 Posted by NOD_Grindking (2778 posts) -
[QUOTE="NOD_Grindking"][QUOTE="FlyinH1GH"]

FlyinH1GH

yeah but the guy who posted like 5 above this said that he had the same problem and FIXED IT so its fixable for him at least and im pretty sure he aint god....

anyways he says he used toothpaste so what do you think about that?

I've used tooth paste on discs before, but im pretty sure he is mistaking a CRACK for a SCRATCH. Theres a big difference. A SCRATCH is on the surface and can be fixed by polishing, rubbing with toothpaste, using cologne/perfume, or some type of disc cleaning surface. A CRACK CANNOT be fixed by any of these means. A crack goes right through the disc and therefore any type of cleaning is meaningless and worthless.

Take my advice, if the disc is CRACKED, its HOPELESS. Either buy a used copy, rent it and swap the discs, get a replacment disc throug the company, or continue to play 2 or 3 songs and suffer till the next Guitar Hero comes out.

#19 Posted by FlyinH1GH (137 posts) -

I've used tooth paste on discs before, but im pretty sure he is mistaking a CRACK for a SCRATCH. Theres a big difference. A SCRATCH is on the surface and can be fixed by polishing, rubbing with toothpaste, using cologne/perfume, or some type of disc cleaning surface. A CRACK CANNOT be fixed by any of these means. A crack goes right through the disc and therefore any type of cleaning is meaningless and worthless.

Take my advice, if the disc is CRACKED, its HOPELESS. Either buy a used copy, rent it and swap the discs, get a replacment disc throug the company, or continue to play 2 or 3 songs and suffer till the next Guitar Hero comes out.

NOD_Grindking

Yeah the only problem there for renting it then swapping is i got a local family video and they have stuff on their disks that im not sure how to swap and + they have all my info in their computer so wouldnt they know it was broke or what

#20 Posted by NOD_Grindking (2778 posts) -
go to a local blockbuster? most of them dont put stuff on their discs. and if they confront you about the crack, which they wont because trust me they NEVER look, tell tem it was there when you rented it
#21 Posted by FlyinH1GH (137 posts) -

go to a local blockbuster? most of them dont put stuff on their discs. and if they confront you about the crack, which they wont because trust me they NEVER look, tell tem it was there when you rented itNOD_Grindking

ya dont got one thats my problem

#22 Posted by seansmom2010 (1 posts) -
Read very carefully. Get some scotch tape or clear packing tape. Make sure it is clear. Cut out a piece that is the size of the crack and place it on the front side of the disk and gently press the tape down. Rub it into place. Put it in your xbox and try it. If it doesn't work at first, leave the disk in and turn the system off and turn it back on with the disk still in it. It will work. I had to fix my son's favorite Modern Warfare 2 disk and it works perfectly now.
#23 Posted by Black_Knight_00 (18807 posts) -
Absolute throw it away, if a shard of plastic gets stuck in the dvd drive mechanism you can kiss your console goodbye
#24 Posted by Stevo7991 (1319 posts) -

Its not fixable, the only thing you need to do is replace it with a new copy.

Simple ----> Return the game for a refund and then buy a new copy.

OR, get an xbox live account and install the game from the HDD.

#25 Posted by lvaught69 (1 posts) -
Thanks so much for your scotch tape fix. Thanks to your post My 12 year old son attempted this yesterday and the tape got stuck in his console and now his xbox is pretty much trashed. Dont attempt to fix these just buy a new disc for gods sake.
#26 Posted by danceman3k (41 posts) -

You can try renting/borrwing the game and installing it to your hard drive, assuming you have one. Even though your disc is broke your xbox still might be able to check it is in the drive and allow you to play.

#27 Posted by daviwinn (4827 posts) -

Thread was started two years ago...let it die.

@ lvaught69, serves you right for letting your 12 year old get on the internet unsupervised. You have no one to blame but yourself.

#28 Posted by Nercay (606 posts) -
Don't think it's fixable, mate.
#29 Posted by BloodlineVENuM (1 posts) -
It actually does work.i did the same thing and it works as if its brand spanking new
#30 Posted by realguitarhero5 (3903 posts) -

Toothpaste fixes CD's. I'm assuming that goes for DVD's and games also.

#31 Posted by CD1421RVSB (1 posts) -
tooth paste really works i just did it on my nhl game and i was amazed i don't know how long it will last for but it works
#32 Posted by LustForSoul (5904 posts) -
The post is dead people, please look at the dates. @_@ Lock it!
#33 Posted by afaq1234 (1 posts) -

but new one! a**H***

#34 Posted by BLAS1AN (3452 posts) -

i dont care if the thread is old. how the heck are people using tooth paste to fix cracks?

#35 Posted by brownstephen259 (268 posts) -

old thread i got in trouble doing tis before ive learned now

#36 Posted by jaz777 (1 posts) -
Tape really works im not kidding
#37 Posted by Stevo7991 (1319 posts) -

Buy a disc repairer from best buy or just replace it with fees included.

#38 Posted by sharkbiscuit79 (1142 posts) -
Rent the game then install it, hand it back then use your broken disc to start the game from the hard drive.
#39 Posted by x2926014 (1372 posts) -

I don't know how it happened but not long ago my guitar hero III disk cracked at the very middle of the disk in 2 places right next to each other and go until the end of the "xbox 360" ring around the middle of the disk (so its not very big at all).

Whenever I try to play it now I can sometimes get to about 2 songs through and it will say disc not readable and sometimes I cant even get it to work at all.

Does anybody have any tips on how to fix my disc because I dont really want to drop 30 bucks on a used game of it when gt: world tour is coming out soon.

Any help would be appreciated.

FlyinH1GH
ULTIMATE TIP? Buy a new game -_- you cant fix a broken disk :/
#40 Posted by 001011000101101 (4027 posts) -
No way to fix something like that.
#41 Posted by Wolfetan (7522 posts) -
Buy a new onecheetfreak
took the words right out of my mouth
#42 Posted by Tera_Bite (93 posts) -

Quickly swap a the cracked disc out after purchasing it at gamespot and then immediately return it. Ask for your money back and it should work.

#43 Posted by BlakeJames15 (1 posts) -
Scotch tape is legit I've done it