Thoughts on the new Cortana?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Mesomorphin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By Mesomorphin
Member since 2013 • 903 Posts

Once again they've re-designed our beloved Cortana in the upcoming Halo Master Cheif collection release. And I got to say, I'am not a huge fan of the re-design. I loved the new look they gave her in Halo 4, but this new design make's her look alot older....I dont know it just doesn't seem right to me. Anyway what are your thoughts?

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22372 Posts

Yeah not sure... I agree I liked the Halo 4 design of her. I don't mind this one either but.

vl4d_l3nin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3  Edited By vl4d_l3nin
Member since 2013 • 3700 Posts

She looks terrible. Look at her sunken eyes, and super crooked nose. That's fine for a human character, but she's digital in the games context. There is no reason for her to look like that

yokofox33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#4  Edited By yokofox33
Member since 2004 • 30775 Posts

Ouch. Not feeling the design. I like old Cortana better.

Mercuria1_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 Mercuria1_King
Member since 2014 • 278 Posts

It's alright I guess.

CTR360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#6 CTR360
Member since 2007 • 9150 Posts

its lovely for me

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7 SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

343 is the new Halo developer, so they are tweaking things away from the original vision. Not sure if that's good or bad, but Halo 4 was a big disappointment for millions and they want to redeem themselves with Halo 5.

MaddenBowler10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By MaddenBowler10
Member since 2005 • 8999 Posts

@SolidTy said:

343 is the new Halo developer, so they are tweaking things away from the original vision. Not sure if that's good or bad, but Halo 4 was a big disappointment for millions and they want to redeem themselves with Halo 5.

Halo 4's campaign was actually the best of the series IMO. The multiplayer; however, is a different story. They really screwed the pooch on that.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By SolidTy
@MaddenBowler10 said:

@SolidTy said:

Halo 4's campaign was actually the best of the series IMO. The multiplayer; however, is a different story. They really screwed the pooch on that.

I didn't know we were going to give personal anecdotal reviews, but it was the second worse one to me IMO. My friends felt the same (a few called it the worst one actually), but whatever floats your boat, that's what I say. We know that 343 was trying to get a 90+ metacritic score for Halo 4 as Bungie did with all the Main Halo entries, but 343 didn't manage to do it with a 87/100 (it was a noble effort though). There was few articles online before Halo 4 came out. 343 made a big deal about trying to achieve a 90+, AAA metascore and felt they were up to the task...they just missed a few beats though. That said, to each their own. I will always say Halo 4 was a good game, but it was shy of greatness IMO, but then again I play A LOT of AAA ranked games across various machines so my standards are tougher than some gamers.

This isn't something some people realize about how metacritic affects developers, so I'll post new Halo and 343 head, Bonnie Ross's own statements here included in an article right when Halo 4 first released and the scores all in for Halo 4 on Metacritic:

"The ranking that a game receives is regarded as a barometer for whether a title will sell well, with many game industry veterans and analysts saying a game needs to score in the mid-80s to be a certified hit.

“I’d be hard pressed to buy a 60-rated game,” said Josh Holmes, “Halo 4′s” creative director. “Anything below 75–that’s the kiss of death.”

Still, Bonnie Ross, head of 343 Industries, the Microsoft-owned studio making Halo 4, is relieved. “We’re happy to see that so far the critical consensus is that we succeeded,” she said. “Now we can look forward to feedback and reviews from players, as well as press.”

Ms. Ross has had Metacritic on her mind more than a few times in recent months. She has asked her team a couple of times in various meetings whether they could deliver a “90-plus” quality game, referring to the score. “It’s make or break,” she said.

Chris Lee, Halo’s lead producer, said making Halo meet that 90-plus standard has been hard.

“We’ve had to build a studio, hit a release date we have to hit, make sure we maintain the legacy of one of the most successful console franchises of all time and drive innovation and push the boundaries of a game experience,” he said. “We need to make sure we’re 90-plus and we have to do what we need to get there.”

One way 343 Industries is trying to ensure Halo’s quality is by throwing a lot of people at the problem. The headcount of the team making Halo 4 tops 340, more than three-times the industry average."

The game was a hit of course (with the Halo legacy and HYPE how could it not be), but it wasn't what a lot of fans wanted, but to be fair, it was 343's first real game the completed on their own. As we now know, Halo 4 didn't hit that internal goal and Halo standard of "90+", but that's okay, they came close like many games do. This all leads to one of the reasons I believe 343 is doing the Master Chief Collection. It gives them practice on what Bungie did do right as it's Bungie's Halo games, and more importantly MC collection sort of brings Halo fans back after the sour taste Halo 4 left in many fans mouths. It's a reminder that Halo is great, check out the Xbone, and a great advertisement for Halo 5. I was in many forums reading fans expressing their dislike of the game, but it's been a few years now.

Regarding your opinion: Right on mate, thanks for your input, I'm sure whatever 343 cooks out you'll be a happy camper. I'm still on the fence, they are good, but not great imo.

I'm glad you are enjoying yourself with your games. That's why we turn them on after-all. :P

MaddenBowler10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

User Lists: 1

#10 MaddenBowler10
Member since 2005 • 8999 Posts

@SolidTy said:
@MaddenBowler10 said:

@SolidTy said:

I didn't know we were going to give personal anecdotal reviews, but it was the second worse one to me IMO. My friends felt the same (a few called it the worst one actually), but whatever floats your boat, that's what I say. We know that 343 was trying to get a 90+ metacritic score for Halo 4 as Bungie did with all the Main Halo entries, but 343 didn't manage to do it with a 87/100 (it was a noble effort though). There was few articles online before Halo 4 came out. 343 made a big deal about trying to achieve a 90+, AAA metascore and felt they were up to the task...they just missed a few beats though. That said, to each their own. I will always say Halo 4 was a good game, but it was shy of greatness IMO, but then again I play A LOT of AAA ranked games across various machines so my standards are tougher than some gamers.

This isn't something some people realize about how metacritic affects developers, so I'll post new Halo and 343 head, Bonnie Ross's own statements here included in an article right when Halo 4 first released and the scores all in for Halo 4 on Metacritic:

"The ranking that a game receives is regarded as a barometer for whether a title will sell well, with many game industry veterans and analysts saying a game needs to score in the mid-80s to be a certified hit.

“I’d be hard pressed to buy a 60-rated game,” said Josh Holmes, “Halo 4′s” creative director. “Anything below 75–that’s the kiss of death.”

Still, Bonnie Ross, head of 343 Industries, the Microsoft-owned studio making Halo 4, is relieved. “We’re happy to see that so far the critical consensus is that we succeeded,” she said. “Now we can look forward to feedback and reviews from players, as well as press.”

Ms. Ross has had Metacritic on her mind more than a few times in recent months. She has asked her team a couple of times in various meetings whether they could deliver a “90-plus” quality game, referring to the score. “It’s make or break,” she said.

Chris Lee, Halo’s lead producer, said making Halo meet that 90-plus standard has been hard.

“We’ve had to build a studio, hit a release date we have to hit, make sure we maintain the legacy of one of the most successful console franchises of all time and drive innovation and push the boundaries of a game experience,” he said. “We need to make sure we’re 90-plus and we have to do what we need to get there.”

One way 343 Industries is trying to ensure Halo’s quality is by throwing a lot of people at the problem. The headcount of the team making Halo 4 tops 340, more than three-times the industry average."

The game was a hit of course (with the Halo legacy and HYPE how could it not be), but it wasn't what a lot of fans wanted, but to be fair, it was 343's first real game the completed on their own. As we now know, Halo 4 didn't hit that internal goal and Halo standard of "90+", but that's okay, they came close like many games do. This all leads to one of the reasons I believe 343 is doing the Master Chief Collection. It gives them practice on what Bungie did do right as it's Bungie's Halo games, and more importantly MC collection sort of brings Halo fans back after the sour taste Halo 4 left in many fans mouths. It's a reminder that Halo is great, check out the Xbone, and a great advertisement for Halo 5. I was in many forums reading fans expressing their dislike of the game, but it's been a few years now.

Regarding your opinion: Right on mate, thanks for your input, I'm sure whatever 343 cooks out you'll be a happy camper. I'm still on the fence, they are good, but not great imo.

I'm glad you are enjoying yourself with your games. That's why we turn them on after-all. :P

I don't know how you came to the conclusion that I'll be happy with any game 343 comes out with no matter what based off my post. In fact, I'll agree with you that Halo 4 did not live up to expectations. I think they came out with a good game, but not a great game. Let's hope they revamp the multiplayer in future Halos because Halo 4 was not as good as previous iterations in that regard.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 SolidTy

@MaddenBowler10 said:

@SolidTy said:
@MaddenBowler10 said:

@SolidTy said:

I don't know how you came to the conclusion that I'll be happy with any game 343 comes out with no matter what based off my post. In fact, I'll agree with you that Halo 4 did not live up to expectations. I think they came out with a good game, but not a great game. Let's hope they revamp the multiplayer in future Halos because Halo 4 was not as good as previous iterations in that regard.

It wasn't a conclusion, it was more a guess, but definitely not a drawn conclusion.

I agree, with the time they are taking relearning Bungie's tricks and MP style, I hope that Bungie remaking experience helps 343 lift up Halo's MP to the glory days it had among gamers in the past. I put a lot of hours into Halo 2 and Halo 3 back in the day. I got pretty high rank in Halo 4 as well, but in the end, I just stopped playing it too. I was mostly playing out of Halo brand loyalty because the MP wasn't as captivating as previous Halos.

I definitely agree that's an area 343 need to work on is the MP.

With this 343 new Cortana...I'm not sure I like it, but I'll give myself time to think upon it.

Mesomorphin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#12 Mesomorphin
Member since 2013 • 903 Posts

@SolidTy said:

Halo 4 was a disappointment to millions? um what? The multiplayer disappointed a number of people but not in the millions! IMO It didnt have the best campaign in the series, but it did have beautiful graphics, excellent acting! and a incredible story I mean COME ON!

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By SolidTy

@mesomorphin said:

@SolidTy said:

Halo 4 was a disappointment to millions? um what? The multiplayer disappointed a number of people but not in the millions! IMO It didnt have the best campaign in the series, but it did have beautiful graphics, excellent acting! and a incredible story I mean COME ON!

I'm sorry my comment seemed shocking. If it's any relief, your post was a bit shocking too on my end. I'll remind you that I said Halo 4 was good above. In any event, it's all good my fellow gaming brother. I don't want to argue with fellow Halo fans. I've been with Halo since the first Halo at Xbox launch Nov 2001. I have various collector's packages, MC helmets, etc. I have two classic Xbox's Halo Green with FOUR Collector's Halo controllers. Those Xbox Type S Rare Halo controllers were a pain to collect (each rare Halo controller came with a collector's Xbox). I bought each Halo game at launch since Halo 1 and I own multiple copies for HALO LAN for Halo 1, Halo 2, Halo 3, Halo ODST, Halo Wars, Halo Reach, and Halo 4. So, I didn't just buy one copy of each game, I bought multiples.

343's going back to the basics in a Halo boot-camp scenario with the MC Collection and for good reason. They are selling four old Halo games in one package for Xbone for a great reason. It's time to bring home the Halo fans that Halo 4 soured and this upcoming collection of older Halos will serve as a reminder to fans what Halo was and it will serve as a great learning tool for 343. It will also be a nice tool for new fans that never played a Halo before.

I already said Halo 4 was good. Check this link out with regards to Halo 4's community. It answers a lot of things you seem to have questions about.

With regards to the graphics, unfortunately, Halo 4 is my least favorite Halo with respect to visual aesthetics.

Halo 4 is often very cluttered, and there's not much of a sense of iconic imagery outside of cut-scenes and "vignette" moments. The game doesn't enjoy the deliciously bold color schemes of Bungie's games; usually, chromatic contrast is either very low, or only manifests through annoyingly harsh tron lines.

Graphically, Halo 4 is also very inconsistent, making awkward graphical tradeoffs depending on the costliness of an area or scene. The results? The game's graphics seem to have difficulty blending different imagery and sequence types; the big sky box reveal at the start of Requiem would have had a lot more juice if they could have actually used it as a backdrop for major parts of the level, as Bungie had done with the view you get in Halo 1 after stepping out of the life-pod. The big impact of this is that Halo 4's levels have a hard time feeling spatially connected.

Halo 4's graphics have lots of weaknesses with dynamic phenomena, and the game often winds up looking and feeling very "flat" in action as a result. The example that sits in my own mind as the most iconic: I round a corner in a warthog in Halo 1, I see the gigantic headlight reflection sweep across the walls; I round a corner in a warthog in Halo 4, nothing. It looks dead.

There are plenty of moments in Halo 4 that can look cool in and of themselves, but as an overall package, I'll take any other Halo.

Regarding the story? I read you loved it, but my take is different. With Halo 4's story once you set in, honestly at times, you have so little idea what's going on, and the spaces of the game are so repetitive structurally and visually that Halo 4 turns into a nearly abstract experience. You don't know why you're shooting or what you're shooting or where you're shooting, just that you are shooting, and due to the tried and true Halo controls, thankfully the shooting is fun, albeit mindless. Some story. Once or twice, in particularly bland metallic corridors, fighting particularly bland metallic enemies, shooting particularly bland metallic guns, I felt as if I'd entered an indie game that was attempting to deduce the very nature of the first person shooter. The bottom line is the Halo 4 story commits the sin of being boring. The most boring Halo game released yet. It wasn't boring if you compared Halo 4 to a bad game, but for a Halo game, Halo 4's story was tedious and lifeless. I understand you loved the story from your post and I'm happy for you, I am. I just was in a different mindset, a certain age, a long time Halo fan, and have different life experiences that lead me to my belief the game's narrative was dull. Again, no fault to you, we all have our own opinions.

Again, I am a Halo fan and I own all of them, but Halo 4 was lacking many elements and I covered this far more in depth WAY back in 2012. This post is NOTHING compared to my posts back then and certainly NOTHING in comparison to the complaints and community reaction to the game after the first month across the internet. 343 is completely aware of all of this btw. While I can see you are surprised, the developer is not surprised. In fact, these forums and hundreds of other forums were filled with users like myself with how they felt with their Halo 4. Unfortunately, I don't want to go into every little thing all over again in 2014, but I respect you are a huge fan of Halo 4 and more power to you!

343 wants to redeem themselves with Halo 5, 343's Bonnie Ross and various others 343 employees have gone on record saying they hope to win the fans back over with Halo 5 (the ones they lost, not the ones that still love them). They know what's at stake and they know fans feel burned. The series has LOTS of life yet and you better believe MILLIONS $$$$ will be pumped into the HYPE machine for HALO 5 which will definitely be the talk of the town come next year. You are definitely not one of those burned Halo 4 fans, you loved the game and that's great.

Have yourself a very wonderful night.