I enjoyed playing the old resident evil games like Resident Evil 2 which is my favorite horror game to date. Resident Evil 2 was so good that it had the perfect atmosphere and the spine-chilling music and sound effects to haunt you for life. When i think today about the game i can still feel it's scariness chilling inside. What made it so atmospheric is many reasons:
- The Music silences and trembles down your spine, the feeling of it makes you feel abandoned, alone and very unsafe. The Sound effects slowly tapping you make you feel like someone's there and the shocking and alarming sounds when you encounter your near-death experience.
- Static camera's are those camera's you want to move by yourself so you can see where's that sound coming from, but you can't because the view is forcing you as a player to experience the horror's of mystery and scariness to bear. The graphics and background on the static camera's gives a realistic look but what makes it very unique is that not everything is dynamic and distracting but it's more on the horror that becomes more of the attention.
- Scarcity of items is what makes this game almost perfect, having used all your ammo on few zombies then walking to the next room encountering something far to dangerous and horrifying - it's no matter if you run of out of ammunition and even health you would have to brave your guts past many scary and gut-drenching nightmare creatures.
- Unexpected shocks like the interrogation room which would traumatize your sanity, the windows shattering with darkness breathing in, the zombies breaching into somewhere it was once a safe area and peaceful hallway to pass, and having to face those nightmares going back through that scary route to find the jigsaw to your next puzzle.
- The fear of dying with ink ribbon saving makes you feel more engaged and alarmed when you encounter zombies, even those zombies who have been shot to death and are laid to the ground, even that single bite or floor grab can result death.
With Capcom insisting that the next Resident Evil 7 game will return to the roots, to truly bring back the atmosphere they would need to look how they made Resident Evil 2, with so many people who enjoy RE2 are demanding a remake to that game because it is truly a horror masterpiece, like how fans have praised that the Police Station was in Resident Evil 3, fans demanded leon for Resident Evil 4, fans demanded a backstory for Claire Redfield for code veronica etc. the interest of that horror and suspense is hugely demanded but currently horribly ignored expect for indie horror games and few games upcoming like The Evil Within.