Stolen MS Points

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by ReverseCycology (9768 posts) -
The other day some kid got caught trying to steal those MS points cards.  The security emptied his pocket and I guess the kid had a stolen credit card aswell.  I was wondering, if he had gotten away, would those MS points card work or do they have to activate them first?  And also, do you think he could've use that stolen credit card to get Xbox Live Gold if he had all the info like expiration date, etc.?
#3 Posted by mother_farter (16665 posts) -
yeah he definately would have gotten away with both the the MS point cards and the credit card. im sure that the MS cards dont need to be activated before you use them so he would have gotten those points for free.
#4 Posted by sonofabear17 (1941 posts) -
really i dont think so because at my walmart the cards are just sitting out in the open
#5 Posted by Xbox360gamer1 (8575 posts) -

really i dont think so because at my walmart the cards are just sitting out in the opensonofabear17

My friend stole 5.....Stupid Wal-MArt 

#6 Posted by mother_farter (16665 posts) -

really i dont think so because at my walmart the cards are just sitting out in the opensonofabear17

yeah..but just because there sitting out in the open dosent mean they dont work

#7 Posted by sonofabear17 (1941 posts) -

[QUOTE="sonofabear17"]really i dont think so because at my walmart the cards are just sitting out in the openmother_farter

yeah..but just because there sitting out in the open dosent mean they dont work

thats really stupid of them
#8 Posted by sonofabear17 (1941 posts) -

[QUOTE="sonofabear17"]really i dont think so because at my walmart the cards are just sitting out in the openXbox360gamer1

My friend stole 5.....Stupid Wal-MArt 

and they worked
#9 Posted by KniferHitandRun (211 posts) -

I dont know about the cards, but the credit card would work if he had the info.

Then when the owner see's that its being used for 360 stuff, he contacts the police.

Retard kid then gets busted for fraud.

Now he has a criminal record and jail time depending on the age.

But hey, he has 1 FREE YEAR OF LIVE!

Going666

I love your optimism. 

#10 Posted by newfg311 (816 posts) -
The MS cards would have worked because they don't need activated (at least any of the ones I've bought haven't needed it).
#11 Posted by adams_73717 (1660 posts) -
the Ms cards would work. even from wal-mart siting out in the open. bc i have a friend that works at ebgames and he got 2 FREE 1600pts card. his manager gave them to him and they worked. he said that you can take it to a store and they can put $20 on them after you use the 1600pts. but i dont think so. i think its a 1 time thing then the cards are empty.  i dont have to worry about our wal-mart bc i don't buy my games from there bc the employees always say that the ps3 is better and to stop waisting my money on a crapy console. (they have pissed a lot of ppl off with their remarks) so i order mine online
#12 Posted by AllSystemsRocks (1078 posts) -
[QUOTE="Going666"]

I dont know about the cards, but the credit card would work if he had the info.

Then when the owner see's that its being used for 360 stuff, he contacts the police.

Retard kid then gets busted for fraud.

Now he has a criminal record and jail time depending on the age.

But hey, he has 1 FREE YEAR OF LIVE!

KniferHitandRun

I love your optimism. 

Why you have a referal number when we click on your link if it's work by completing survey ?

#13 Posted by Kollawona (4811 posts) -
They don't work acutally. My friend stole some and when you put them in it works but when you click on redeem it says "error" or something like that.
#14 Posted by iam2green (13991 posts) -
i think they would work. in my walmart they now have a little lock things on the hanger things. so u have to ask sombody to unlock it. gamestop they have it behind the counter..
#15 Posted by seventy5cent832 (1057 posts) -
i thought it says "not valid untill activated a register"
#16 Posted by Bryman303 (124 posts) -
the cards dont work until you take them up to the register and they scan them
#17 Posted by Nehine (91 posts) -

They don't work acutally. My friend stole some and when you put them in it works but when you click on redeem it says "error" or something like that.Kollawona

i don't think that's true... if anything needs to be activated at the counter a code is punched out on the receipt. otherwise they have to swipe the card. all they do is scan the barcode on the back. the cards themselves have random digits codes on them. the one your friend stole probably expired. maybe he waited too long to use it but i know for a fact you don't need to activate them. i worked at wal mart for 2 years... so i know. they made them less easy to steal now, but all you need to do is distract the greeter with 1 person, and cut the plastic (if the hanger is locked) and pretty much walk out the door. you wouldn't believe how EASY it would be to steal from those stores. i won't take the risk i don't want to go to jail though :)

#18 Posted by a55a55inx (4188 posts) -
no the MS points don't work if they're stolen... they have to be activated at the register... even read the back of the point cards...it pretty much says that they are useless until they are activated at the register... they wouldn't make them so easy to steal if it didn't need to be activated.
#19 Posted by solo4321 (3338 posts) -
no microsoft points work without activating them I wen to Gamestop and bought a card and she handed it to me and I left and they work but it's live cards that need to be activated.
#20 Posted by Nehine (91 posts) -

no the MS points don't work if they're stolen... they have to be activated at the register... even read the back of the point cards...it pretty much says that they are useless until they are activated at the register... they wouldn't make them so easy to steal if it didn't need to be activated. a55a55inx

you are probably right i was looking at the back of the cards, and there is a serial number on the backs. so there must be some digital code thingy that "lets them know this card is bought, therefore activate it" kind of thing to them. and i always thought it would work... oh well.

#22 Posted by Nehine (91 posts) -
you could almost say i learned a little "too much" about the inner workings of the store... good thing i'm an honest person :)
#23 Posted by ranzo1007 (1 posts) -

They don't work acutally. My friend stole some and when you put them in it works but when you click on redeem it says "error" or something like that.Kollawona

Yeah you're right. My friend tried stealing some codes today, and it gave him an error that said "Code not activated by retailer." He's trying to find a way to get around that, but he doesn't have the actual card. He just scratched out the code and copied it down, so it's probably impossible.

#24 Posted by l33isb345t (263 posts) -

lol

no stealing from best buy! thats a definate no no!

#25 Posted by raylewisnfl52 (7146 posts) -
they dont work they have to be activated by the cashiers it even says on the back of the cards.
#26 Posted by armyman455 (914 posts) -
yeah he definately would have gotten away with both the the MS point cards and the credit card. im sure that the MS cards dont need to be activated before you use them so he would have gotten those points for free.mother_farter
no they need to be activated i bought one once they didnt activate it and it didnt work i took it back they activated it then it worked
#27 Posted by rawrimadinos142 (2 posts) -
what if you just scanned it at an empty register? i mean how is it activated?
#28 Posted by xL33TxTALENTx (199 posts) -
The points would have worked but no way would the kid have gotten away with the credit card use.
#29 Posted by rawrimadinos142 (2 posts) -
but how are they activated? the points i mean
#30 Posted by djrobst (2404 posts) -
i think the crack is that the cards can be activated and deactivated. its upto the shop to activate them before putting them on the shelf or just leaving it down to activation at point of purchase. so depending on the shop stealing them might work might not, but its stupid thing to steal as if they clock it and have the registration numbers of the cards and you stole enough of them and used them, then you are basically leaving a paper trail identifying yourself as the theif