a55a55inx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 0

#1 a55a55inx
Member since 2004 • 4188 Posts

Based on what we saw at E3 this year (and the $399 XB1 option), we are all expecting the Kinect to no longer be supported in the future. Most people are aware that the XB1's interface and menu structure was designed with the Kinect's voice commands in mind, which makes navigating through apps and menus very cumbersome when Kinect is removed. Since Microsoft has provided an option to purchase their console without Kinect, I've been trying to come up with ideas to make navigating through the interface more simple and have come up with one idea so far...

"Changing the Home Button"

-Double Clicking the Home Button will bring you back to the home screen (like it normally does now)

-Pressing the Home Button once will bring up a small (customizable) "taskbar" at the bottom of the screen that includes some of the most used apps and commands such as: Friends list, Record That, Snap, etc. This "taskbar" should allow you to pin any app, game, or menu that you want. On the right side of the taskbar, it can show your most recent messages and game invites or a newsfeed to see what your friends are doing.

This is just one idea I had in mind, I just want the XB1 to be easier to navigate through without having to use voice commands. What are your guys thoughts and ideas? I'd like to hear them.

BattleSpectre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 BattleSpectre
Member since 2009 • 7989 Posts

Buy a Kinect, really it's that simple.

a55a55inx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By a55a55inx

@BattleSpectre said:

The ability to control certain apps/settings with your voice isn't worth $100 to many people, and the fact that there aren't a whole lot of games coming out for the device makes it even less appealing. I like controlling the console with my voice, but it's inconvenient when someone is sleeping and you want to record a game clip or quickly switch to an app.

MsCortana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By MsCortana
Member since 2007 • 10565 Posts

@BattleSpectre said:

This! I could not imagine using my Xbox One without the Kinect, nor would I want to. Well worth the extra money in my humble opinion.

a55a55inx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 a55a55inx

@MsCortana said:

@BattleSpectre said:

This! I could not imagine using my Xbox One without the Kinect, nor would I want to. Well worth the extra money in my humble opinion.

I enjoy using the voice commands also, it's just that the interface can be designed to make menus/ apps more accessible with the controller. Seeing that a good chunk of the XB1 population will not purchase a Kinect, I think MS should change it up a bit.

craigkelleigh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#7 craigkelleigh
Member since 2005 • 329 Posts

@MsCortana said:

@BattleSpectre said:

Exactly! - although it can be called a gimmick by many people - I find using the voice controls so much easier - volume control, switching apps etc......and it doesn't recognise my kids voices so I feel like I am in complete control....lol - especially when the remote is black and is constantly getting lost on the black lounge suite.....

It kinda becomes second nature now to use it - I can see how some people are against it and find it pointless - but mine sits on top of my TV out of the way - does it's job - says Hi to me when I enter the room.......I probably won't use it for gaming but it definitely adds to my entertainment experience - just my opinion as well :)

XOne_ShotX91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#8 XOne_ShotX91
Member since 2014 • 152 Posts

The only time I ever use the voice commands is when I say "Xbox Record That". If that wasnt there, then it wouldnt be used by me. My fiance uses it for the dance games though, so atleast it's getting used at all, lol.

XOne_ShotX91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#9 XOne_ShotX91
Member since 2014 • 152 Posts

@craigkelleigh: See, all my consoles sit right on top of my entertainment center, and the kinect has no problem seeing either me, my fiance, or our son, but it never wants to hear. Most of the time it will hear Record That, but it never EVER hears anything else it seems.

craigkelleigh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 craigkelleigh

@xone_shotx91: hmmm - strange - I know people do have trouble with the voice commands......I have all girls in my house - so maybe it is easier to hear my different voice......granted I do have to speak loudly and clearly when there isn't too much background noise......I did have to experiment and calibrate it a little bit at the start but it seems to work fine (just don't have the 'Xbox On' command because of my region...)

CHAOSpectre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 CHAOSpectre
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts

I actually rarely have my Kinect even plugged in...

a55a55inx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By a55a55inx

@magicalclick: That's not much of a library. The Kinect will see a few more games here and there, but I don't see enough support for it to be a worthy purchase.

a55a55inx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By a55a55inx

@magicalclick: That's not much of a library. The Kinect will see a few more games here and there, but I don't see a lot of support for it to be a worthy purchase.

@craigkelleigh said:

@MsCortana said:

@BattleSpectre said:

Exactly! - although it can be called a gimmick by many people - I find using the voice controls so much easier - volume control, switching apps etc......and it doesn't recognise my kids voices so I feel like I am in complete control....lol - especially when the remote is black and is constantly getting lost on the black lounge suite.....

It kinda becomes second nature now to use it - I can see how some people are against it and find it pointless - but mine sits on top of my TV out of the way - does it's job - says Hi to me when I enter the room.......I probably won't use it for gaming but it definitely adds to my entertainment experience - just my opinion as well :)

What about the consumers that can only afford to pay for the $399 model and 1 game? Or if the Kinect malfunctions? They're left with a lesser and more frustrating experience that can be fixed with a menu redesign. The fact is that the menus don't have to be complicated to navigate through without Kinect, but they are. I also find it frustrating when I forget what an app/menu is called so I don't even know the command to get to it with my voice and I end up having to navigate with the controller anyway.

craigkelleigh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 craigkelleigh

Well - remember the days before the first Kinect - we all used to navigate with the controller......then the dashboard was re-designed and people grumbled about that.......it will keep on evolving....

I can see a re-design of the dashboard coming in the future to be aimed for the controller but with still the voice commands being able to be used.....

BattleSpectre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By BattleSpectre
Member since 2009 • 7989 Posts

@a55a55inx said:

@magicalclick: That's not much of a library. The Kinect will see a few more games here and there, but I don't see a lot of support for it to be a worthy purchase.

@craigkelleigh said:

@MsCortana said:

@BattleSpectre said:

What about the consumers that can only afford to pay for the $399 model and 1 game? Or if the Kinect malfunctions? They're left with a lesser and more frustrating experience that can be fixed with a menu redesign. The fact is that the menus don't have to be complicated to navigate through without Kinect, but they are. I also find it frustrating when I forget what an app/menu is called so I don't even know the command to get to it with my voice and I end up having to navigate with the controller anyway.

What if the sun doesn't rise tomorrow, what if I'm going to die next week? Come on mate..... if you can only afford the Kinectless Xbox One and only one game, then you shouldn't be looking at a next-gen console. Like I said, the simple solution is to buy the Kinect.

Also you make it sound like it's rocket science navigating with the controller, seriously? It's easy as pie unless you're missing a few fingers - now that'd be difficult.

blackace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#16 blackace
Member since 2002 • 23576 Posts

@magicalclick said:

Dance Central and Disney Fantasia dude.

There are more games then that in the works. Some will be released next year. Rare is actually working on more regular games now then Kinect games.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

@blackace said:

@magicalclick said:

Dance Central and Disney Fantasia dude.

Rare is actually working on more regular games now then Kinect games.

I follow the industry closely and I never heard that before other than a rumor I read recently. In fact, I don't remember a single official announcement to support that...Link?

blkgto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#18  Edited By blkgto
Member since 2005 • 811 Posts

@BattleSpectre: Or don't because it's a piece of junk and there is absolutely no reason to own one.