So is Halo 4's multiplayer worth $59 for LIVE?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

BSC14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 BSC14
Member since 2002 • 4187 Posts

I don't play my 360 much at all to be honest...I'm really more of a pc fan but I bought Halo 4 for the family and I to play together.

Anyway, we don't have LIVE at the moment and noticed while playing split screen that they have added some cool things like clones and a different shild and other cool perks.

So what do you think...is it worth it?

Legendaryscmt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Legendaryscmt
Member since 2005 • 12532 Posts

It comes with a 2 week live code. Use that and play it for a bit and see what you think.

Jurassic85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Jurassic85
Member since 2010 • 2191 Posts

It comes with a 2 week live code. Use that and play it for a bit and see what you think.

Legendaryscmt

This. Also there is NEVER a reason to pay $59 for Live. There are constantly deals happening when you can get it for $35-$40. Shop around. As for Halo 4, the MP is amazing.

BSC14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 BSC14

I got it used so no free trial. :(

Avatar image for Saedius_Asicion
Saedius_Asicion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Saedius_Asicion
Member since 2013 • 71 Posts
If Halo 4 is the only reason you're considering activating LIVE, then no, it is not worth it. The game has some life to it, but it honestly it not worth the LIVE subscription. They are constantly adding to it, but I just do not think the replayability is there like it was in the previous games, especially since the online gaming community is split between so many different multiplayer games.
Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#7 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

Live isn't 59 dollars

RoslindaleOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 RoslindaleOne
Member since 2006 • 7566 Posts
I see xbox live gold 12 month card is for $35 on amazon right now. You can also get the download code for $39.99.
BSC14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 BSC14

I see xbox live gold 12 month card is for $35 on amazon right now. You can also get the download code for $39.99.RoslindaleOne

Bought it about 15 minutes ago from Amazon...waiting on my code.

RoslindaleOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 RoslindaleOne
Member since 2006 • 7566 Posts

[QUOTE="RoslindaleOne"]I see xbox live gold 12 month card is for $35 on amazon right now. You can also get the download code for $39.99.BSC14

Bought it about 15 minutes ago from Amazon...waiting on my code.

Excellent! You'll get more out of Halo 4 with live. Spartan Ops and match making. It's been keeping me happy. Spatan ops new episodes 6 and 7 are awesome and much better than the first 5. Enjoy!
Vari3ty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Vari3ty
Member since 2009 • 11111 Posts

I'm going to say no... definitely no. 

Boris_Lion_SLO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Boris_Lion_SLO
Member since 2009 • 131 Posts

To me, Xbox live gold is rip-off.....you pay for something that everywhere else is free (online multyplayer). Plus, you get commercials thrown down you throath.

But i still buy xbox live because i like games on xbox and play a lot of MP games (halo 3, halo reach, halo 4). I didn't like Halo 4 that much so i went back to Halo reach and COD:mw3.

If you would like to play games online, then yeah, buy xbox live (only because you need it to play MP games).

Gen007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#14 Gen007
Member since 2006 • 11006 Posts

I wouldnt get live solely for Halo MP if thats all your going to play def isnt worth it not like Halo's an MMO or something. Halo MP is good though just no so amazing mind blowing good that you should buy gold just for it.

Agent_Kaliaver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#15 Agent_Kaliaver
Member since 2004 • 4722 Posts
are you kidding me? it has no rank system. Back in the day me and the boys gladly paid $59.99 a year to play Halo 2 and 3 online 16 hours a dayJustSignedUp
Really? You spent $59.99 back in your day when the cost was only $49.99? Also anyone spending full price for Xbox Live is simply an idiot.
BSC14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 BSC14

[QUOTE="JustSignedUp"]are you kidding me? it has no rank system. Back in the day me and the boys gladly paid $59.99 a year to play Halo 2 and 3 online 16 hours a dayAgent_Kaliaver
Really? You spent $59.99 back in your day when the cost was only $49.99? Also anyone spending full price for Xbox Live is simply an idiot.

Expecting everyone to know they could get it discounted could also make someone an idiot.

sruane23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 sruane23
Member since 2011 • 192 Posts

If Halo 4 is the only reason you're considering activating LIVE, then no, it is not worth it. The game has some life to it, but it honestly it not worth the LIVE subscription. They are constantly adding to it, but I just do not think the replayability is there like it was in the previous games, especially since the online gaming community is split between so many different multiplayer games. Saedius_Asicion

Post is absolutely terrible, I can't stand people who put there $0.02 in with no reasoning. First of all, you don't know what his finances are like so I think saying that activating XBL for HALO 4 is not worth it is very subjective. Stop giving advice to posts out of your own pocket. I personally have XBL and the only online game I play and plan to play is HALO 4. For me this is my favorite HALO yet. I really like the diversity in game modes, the new maps and the different weapons implemented in to HALO 4. I really like what 343 and I'm enjoying this HALO a lot. I'm mostly a single player guy, but for me I don't mind paying for an enjoyable online gaming experience.

I'm not a XBOX Fanboy. I also have a PS3 and I do think that live should be free because they bombard us with advertisements however that doesn't take away from the enjoyment I receive and the yearly cost of xbox is inexpensive in my terms.

sruane23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 sruane23
Member since 2011 • 192 Posts

[QUOTE="JustSignedUp"]are you kidding me? it has no rank system. Back in the day me and the boys gladly paid $59.99 a year to play Halo 2 and 3 online 16 hours a dayAgent_Kaliaver

You need to understand what "time is money" truly means. You also need to know what opportunity costs are. IMHO anyone who does't understand these two things is an idiot.

Hawkeye747

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Hawkeye747
Member since 2008 • 636 Posts

Halo 4 is the only game I play online.  I have never been a fan of shooters but I bought Halo 3 one day when I wanted a game but there was no games that were particularly appealing to me and Halo 3 had just come out and had all the hype.  I played through the campaign and thought it was ok.  Decided to give the MP a go and while I was absolutely pathetic (I am only marginally better now! )I just had so much fun, I played it for hours every day.  I bought Halo Reach but just didn't get into it much. 

Now I have Halo 4 and I am completely back in the addiction wagon.  I am still horrible at it but the fun level of the MP is through the roof for me.  I have played one mission in the campaign and it was ok, played a couple of Spartan Ops missions and they were ok... but the Big Team Slayer just consumes 50% of my free time now... which is A LOT of time to dedicate to one thing when you're a married man!  I play other modes too, like CTF but I find I often run into teams of players that play together regularly and I get stuck with useless player like myself hahah.  At least in BTS you have room to do your own thing.

Bottom line for me after all this rambling is that I would (and did) pay for Xbox Live, purely to play Halo 4 MP.

Saedius_Asicion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Saedius_Asicion

[QUOTE="Saedius_Asicion"]If Halo 4 is the only reason you're considering activating LIVE, then no, it is not worth it. The game has some life to it, but it honestly it not worth the LIVE subscription. They are constantly adding to it, but I just do not think the replayability is there like it was in the previous games, especially since the online gaming community is split between so many different multiplayer games. sruane23

Post is absolutely terrible, I can't stand people who put there $0.02 in with no reasoning. First of all, you don't know what his finances are like so I think saying that activating XBL for HALO 4 is not worth it is very subjective. Stop giving advice to posts out of your own pocket. I personally have XBL and the only online game I play and plan to play is HALO 4. For me this is my favorite HALO yet. I really like the diversity in game modes, the new maps and the different weapons implemented in to HALO 4. I really like what 343 and I'm enjoying this HALO a lot. I'm mostly a single player guy, but for me I don't mind paying for an enjoyable online gaming experience.

I'm not a XBOX Fanboy. I also have a PS3 and I do think that live should be free because they bombard us with advertisements however that doesn't take away from the enjoyment I receive and the yearly cost of xbox is inexpensive in my terms.

You're right, I don't know his finances, but he obviously has some qualms about it if he is asking if it's worth it. I simply gave my opinion, and if I remember correctly I didn't ask for your opinion on my post. And I did give quite a few different reasons why "I didn't think it would be worth the live subscription. So, maybe next time read the entire post and not just the first sentence.
Primordialous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#21 Primordialous
Member since 2012 • 1313 Posts

Coming from a massive Halo fan- I'll have to say no. Halo 4 just didn't have that same spark to it that kept me playing Halo 3 and Halo: Reach for so many hours a day.

It is a great game, no doubt- but it just doesn't have the same feel if you're an older Halo fan. If you really want to, then go for it.

Saedius_Asicion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Saedius_Asicion

Coming from a massive Halo fan- I'll have to say no. Halo 4 just didn't have that same spark to it that kept me playing Halo 3 and Halo: Reach for so many hours a day.

It is a great game, no doubt- but it just doesn't have the same feel if you're an older Halo fan. If you really want to, then go for it.

Primordialous
I thought Reach was even lackluster for some reason. It was still a good game, but it just didn't stack up to H2 and H3. I have to believe it has something to do with them taking away the 1-50 ranked playlists.
wii60_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#23 wii60_3
Member since 2007 • 2017 Posts
Halo 4's population is very low, halo 3 used to have 500k people a year after release halo 4 is under 75k right now think about that. Reach murdered the online with its many downfalls
Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#24 speedfreak48t5p
Member since 2009 • 14416 Posts

Not for Halo 4 by itself. However, if you got Forza 4, any Gears of War game, Left 4 Dead 2, COD/Battlefield and want to play them online and you can find a discounted membership, yeah, it would be worth it.

abdelmessih101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 abdelmessih101
Member since 2007 • 5230 Posts

[QUOTE="Legendaryscmt"]

Jurassic85

This. Also there is NEVER a reason to pay $59 for Live. There are constantly deals happening when you can get it for $35-$40. Shop around. As for Halo 4, the MP is amazing.

Yes, this! When I'm a few months away from the end of my XBL expiring, I check Amazon once in a while and it's frequently available under $50, sometimes $40-45. NEVER give MS your credit card info for an automatically resubscribing XBL account!!
abdelmessih101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 abdelmessih101
Member since 2007 • 5230 Posts

Halo 4's population is very low, halo 3 used to have 500k people a year after release halo 4 is under 75k right now think about that. Reach murdered the online with its many downfalls wii60_3
Halo 4 competes with COD, Battlefield, and other addicting online multiplayer games which are much better quality and variety now compared to Halo 3's time. COD4 was much lesser beast and the market wasn't oversaturated with online multiplayer monsters. Halo 4's numbers are more indicative of the quality and quantity of competition for a gamer's time and attention nowadays than it is indicative of a lack of quality - Halo 4 is an incredible game online.

It may have some balance issues, but those are being ironed out as MLG and Slayer Pro settings are tweaked and perfected - I expect the population to surge when official competitive settings are released and the playlist rotation is finalized. In the meantime, infinity slayer and the dozen other available playlists never cease to provide me with a great time.

Besides, I never have issues finding a game in my preferred playlists, so the limited population doesn't negatively affect me at all now, and I doubt it will anytime soon.

MentatAssassin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#27 MentatAssassin
Member since 2005 • 3007 Posts

The answer to this question is obvious. Yes...yes it is worth it but you shouldn't pay that much for it. Like it's been stated already you can easily find 12 months live at a discount price. As for all the people complaining about Halo's dwindling community get over youselves. Halo 4 is one of the few games where I can always find a game in any playlists regardles of the time of day or night. That may not be the 500k of old but it's pretty darn good.

Oh yeah, and all the advertisments that are "forced down your throat" equate to a couple of images in the main dashboard that you have to look at for 2 seconds while you press the green button and your games loads. You might as well complain about billboards on the street and commercials on TV. They're there so just deal with it.

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#28 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

Halo 4's population is very low, halo 3 used to have 500k people a year after release halo 4 is under 75k right now think about that. Reach murdered the online with its many downfalls wii60_3

Nope, that never happened

Halo 4 is the third most played game on Xbox Live