Red Ring of Death - Research Poll, How did you get it?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Kruegmeister

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

User Lists: 0

#1 Kruegmeister
Member since 2003 • 539 Posts
I started a Red Ring of Death Union for Those of us who suffered the Dreaded Red Ring of Death on their XBox360s. So this poll is here kind of as a Research Project to Answer the Question if an Intercooler will really help avoid the Red Ring of Death.
jdukes247

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 jdukes247
Member since 2005 • 796 Posts

it was sitting next to my big screen and I was playing mass effect for over 8 hours and it just went RROD

killerfist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#3 killerfist
Member since 2005 • 20155 Posts
out in the open w/o cooling device
SoulKillah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#4 SoulKillah
Member since 2007 • 2171 Posts
It happened once,while i was playing on LIVE for about 5 hours when all of a sudden my house's electricity went out.Next thing i know my X360 gave me the RROD...it still works fine though:)
msjr78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 msjr78
Member since 2005 • 4004 Posts
I don't think you can ever pinpoint THE reason behind it. It's just an inherent issue with the hardware.
insomniac_half

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6 insomniac_half
Member since 2007 • 27 Posts
one night i was just playing bioshock and and it froze , i tried a few more times and it kept freezing then, it turned RED............
bazanger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#7 bazanger
Member since 2004 • 2838 Posts
it was in my entertainment center, but it's not really enclosed, it's like a wide open entertainment center.. hard to explain i suppose.
alienofwar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 alienofwar
Member since 2008 • 92 Posts
Does having it in an open area really help though?? I personally don't think it will make a difference, if you play for over 8 hrs, no matter what, your not doing your system any good.
Avatar image for theonlyGAMESTER
theonlyGAMESTER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 theonlyGAMESTER
Member since 2003 • 560 Posts

I used the intercooler for some time, but then i stopped using it. Lasted me another year after that. Mind you I played ALOT when i played FFXI back around it's release on the 360( use to play on PC) then i stopped playing that, and lost the need for the intercooler. It kicked the bucket after I was trying to play my second play through on mass effect. Customer service told me that my Fan broke, causing the system to overheat. Got the same console back, with new, larger, quieter fan, and got a new cpu(falcon chipset). All in all, I am happy with the services rendered, and glad to know my 360 is protected against RROD until 2011, and other errors until 2009.

Does having it in an open area really help though?? I personally don't think it will make a difference, if you play for over 8 hrs, no matter what, your not doing your system any good.alienofwar

Yes, keeping it inclosed means your pretty much baking your console to death. Even a PC/laptop/PS3 would kick the bucket if it was in a tight enclosement. The heat would tear through the heat sinks and eat away the precious cpu, along with the rest of the hardware.

Grandstream

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#11 Grandstream
Member since 2006 • 484 Posts
First two crapped out within 1-2 months of each other with Red Rings...third one lasted for several months with Intercooler before it crapped. Fourth had a same run, but then crapped out because my hard drive somehow got corrupted...Now, I'm on my 5th system that I've had since September. And yes, it's the new design. After 5+ hours of straight gameplay with it, not even putting out as high levels of heat that the original units were after an hour of gameplay...
stokesy87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#12 stokesy87
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts

I quickly noticed the xbox gets very warm so i kept it out in the open to get as much ventilation to it as possible.

However my first 360 was from the early wave of consoles and it just gave up the ghost when playing the console breaking oblivion

natsirt67

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 natsirt67
Member since 2005 • 891 Posts
never got it but got something else .
ebinion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 ebinion
Member since 2005 • 25 Posts
My system got it after about 4 months. . . ironically enough it was in a wide open area with an intercooler attached. I got the Red Ring several times with the intercooler on, but much less frequently with it off. Now I own an Elite and there's been no rings.
sirkel28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#15 sirkel28
Member since 2004 • 347 Posts
I don't matter how or what you do you will get a ring of death at some point, because it is the constant extreme heat and cooling down that warps the motherboard back and forth under the poorly designed X-clamps that eventually will break the solder points to the GPU and/or CPU. Only real fix or prevention is to replace the X-clamps. http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?showtopic=595746
sirkel28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#16 sirkel28
Member since 2004 • 347 Posts
Maybe the new units have solved this problem, but the older units basically have a 100% falure rate.
Avatar image for CorporateHammer
CorporateHammer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#17 CorporateHammer
Member since 2007 • 992 Posts

My system got it after about 4 months. . . ironically enough it was in a wide open area with an intercooler attached. I got the Red Ring several times with the intercooler on, but much less frequently with it off. Now I own an Elite and there's been no rings.ebinion

I have an elite and died after 4 months. I still have a core system from launch with a blue moon fan installed and still runs fine. Very upset about my elite. I keep it on a small table I bought at walmart for $20 with nothing else near it so Im about to get a PS3.

gameroz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 gameroz
Member since 2005 • 2900 Posts
i got it back in Febuary and i send it to Microsoft they receive it on the 26 of Febuary and im still waiting for it and i don't want to wait any longer :(
msjr78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 msjr78
Member since 2005 • 4004 Posts
i got it back in Febuary and i send it to Microsoft they receive it on the 26 of Febuary and im still waiting for it and i don't want to wait any longer :(gameroz
Hey, don't be surprised if you get it back some time this week. I sent mine to Texas on Feb 9th, it got there on Feb 15th, and I got it back on Feb 20.
gameroz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 gameroz
[QUOTE="gameroz"]i got it back in Febuary and i send it to Microsoft they receive it on the 26 of Febuary and im still waiting for it and i don't want to wait any longer :(msjr78
Hey, don't be surprised if you get it back some time this week. I sent mine to Texas on Feb 9th, it got there on Feb 15th, and I got it back on Feb 20.

so you just had to wait about 5 days and you got it i wish it was like that for me
i-rock-socks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 i-rock-socks
Member since 2007 • 3826 Posts

i never got the RROD (i think i did once but i QUICKLY turned it off and on and never saw it again) mine just stopped reading any kind of disk (this happen shortly after i thought i saw the RROD).

sent it in, got it fixed, sold it, bought an elite:D

Tribalice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Tribalice
Member since 2005 • 140 Posts

Yes, keeping it inclosed means your pretty much baking your console to death. Even a PC/laptop/PS3 would kick the bucket if it was in a tight enclosement. The heat would tear through the heat sinks and eat away the precious cpu, along with the rest of the hardware.

theonlyGAMESTER

i don't agree with u man, if it's in the open, the fan sucks more dust, small bugs, more humety of the air, etc., and it doesn't work on it's full capacity. If it doesn't work properely, the RROD is more likely to happen

shadow8585

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 shadow8585
Member since 2006 • 2947 Posts

Its also worth asking if your xbox was out in the open, was it plugged straight into the wall or did you foolishly use a surge protector? Mines been out in the open, no intercooler, plugged straight into the wall, no rrod ever, owned for 14 months.

I did however open my xbox up to add extra heat sinks to the ram and southbridge, replaced the stock fans with talismoon fans, soldered the gpu side fan to run at 12V, put a divider in the fan shroud and boxed up the gpu heat sink...my xbox runs about 50 degrees F cooler than all yours

shadow8585

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 shadow8585
Member since 2006 • 2947 Posts
[QUOTE="theonlyGAMESTER"]

Tribalice

i don't agree with u man, if it's in the open, the fan sucks more dust, small bugs, more humety of the air, etc., and it doesn't work on it's full capacity. If it doesn't work properely, the RROD is more likely to happen

I know everything there is to know about avoiding the rrod, the heat issues with the 360, etc. Thats why I never got the rrod and I never will (see post above). The reason why your fans are running at full capacity is because the gpu is hotter than his is...because yours is enclosed. Trust me you want it out in the open and dust? Dust does absolutely nothing to the system trust me

Kruegmeister

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Kruegmeister
Mine personally was Out in the Open. I dust off ALL of my Electronics Regularly. I did not have an Intercooler. It was Plugged into Surge Unit. But that is not the cause of Red Ring of Death. Mine almost made it 2 years before I got the Red Ring of Death. Additional Red Ring Knowledge: 1) The Elite Units and Halo 3 Edition 360s have the NEW 65nm CPU in them. 2) The Real Problem from what I have Read is the GPU (Graphics Processor), which the New one is not due out until August. I refuse to Reward Microsoft for their Failure with an Additional 360 Purchase. I have talked to several people who Bought a New Unit. I personally buy All of my Multi-Platform Games for my PS3. So when my 360 dies, I will say goodbye. At that Point instead of having a PSWii60, I will just have the PSWii...
def_mode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 def_mode
Member since 2005 • 4237 Posts
i got mine when i was playing DMC4 demo :roll:
Kruegmeister

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Kruegmeister
I will probably do as Shadow did after my 3 years of RROD protection is up. (November...) Since at that point I will be out of warranty, I will Go Fan Crazy, Liquid Cool, Whatever I need to do.
Kruegmeister

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Kruegmeister
gameroz If your into ESP Guitars Check One of Mine It's an Official Skull & Cross Bones Ouija.
ag3ntz3rox0x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#29 ag3ntz3rox0x
Member since 2007 • 1534 Posts
it was qworking fine out in the open with intercooler. i got sick and was in the hospital. my dad brought me my 360 to play while i was in there, turned it on and it had the rings,.
Sublime87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Sublime87
Member since 2005 • 25 Posts

My RRoD was a long process. It began with my 360 telling me that i need to "put this disc into a 360 console". it thought it was a dvd player. After about 5 tries it would work, then it turned to 10 tries, then 15, then about 45min worth of back-to-back tries. Then, sure enough, the rings set in.

This all lasted about 4 months and i just got my 360 sent back... and no big suprise... it thinks it a dvd player again, but usually works on the second or third try. no doubt the RRoD are just around the corner. again.

AceCometh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 AceCometh
Member since 2004 • 1419 Posts
I just happened to be watching a movie. I was watching Transformers with the director's commentary on. Micheal Bay was educating me in film making when the picture froze up. I figured it was the movie disc, but when I restarted my Xbox 360, I received the dreaded Red Ring of Death! I hoped it was merely a fluke and restarted the system again and everything seemed to be working fine. That lasted for about two seconds. As far as my experience with talking with Microsoft and the exchange process, I have that blogged on my personal profile page.
draftrough

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 draftrough
Member since 2005 • 502 Posts
Ive not gotten one but, I just got my Elite 2 weeks ago. Its got the Falcon chip sets and i hope its got a long life ahead of it cause ive got it well ventilated on all ports.
Halochief_101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#33 Halochief_101
Member since 2007 • 402 Posts
had the three red rings but it's because the power went out and for some reason the three red rings were blinking for about 6 seconds, it scarded the **** outa me, but it works perfectly fine
Halochief_101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#34 Halochief_101
Member since 2007 • 402 Posts
* the power to my house went out
gameroz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 gameroz
gameroz If your into ESP Guitars Check One of Mine It's an Official Skull & Cross Bones Ouija.Kruegmeister
NICE!! never seen one like that before is it a custom built ?
Brmarlin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Brmarlin
Member since 2006 • 2559 Posts
I don't have it. About a year and a half of heavy usage. No RROD, cuz I took a fan and pointed it straight at it point blank. Try it.
ramulux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#37 ramulux
Member since 2004 • 2253 Posts
i D/ poker smash and it broke my system when i went to play it
Kruegmeister

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Kruegmeister
[QUOTE="Kruegmeister"]gameroz If your into ESP Guitars Check One of Mine It's an Official Skull & Cross Bones Ouija.gameroz

There were only 100 Ouija Guitars made. 50 were Skull and Cross Bones Pearl Inlays. 50 were Moon & Star Pearl Inlays. Only 49 of each were sold. 1 of each type were given to the Artist (Kirk Hammett from Metallica) When I bought it I didn't even know it was such a limited edition piece.
donnygorgas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 donnygorgas
Member since 2005 • 2531 Posts

My premium was RROD out of the box. It still makes me mad to think about it.

My Elite is still going strong, no issues.

JC772

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 JC772
Member since 2007 • 26 Posts
I had mine out in the open with a little desktop fan blowing on it and I had it sitting on soda caps to keep the bottom from getting warm but as soon as I got my HDTV it burned up in 2 days, maybe it had something to do with running my XBOX in HD for the first time idk. But the worst part of it all is when I got my XBOX back it was a different one so all my downloaded content would'nt work unless I was online plus the one they gave back to me had a bad disk drive that was making all kinds of noises. And when I called xbox about my downloadable content not working they played dumb and said they did'nt know why it was'nt working I found out they have been working on the problem since the elite came out they just did'nt have the balls to tell me that they can't do anything about it JERKS!!
fordies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 fordies
Member since 2005 • 5829 Posts
Out in the open without cooling device
gameroz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 gameroz
[QUOTE="gameroz"][QUOTE="Kruegmeister"]gameroz If your into ESP Guitars Check One of Mine It's an Official Skull & Cross Bones Ouija.Kruegmeister

There were only 100 Ouija Guitars made. 50 were Skull and Cross Bones Pearl Inlays. 50 were Moon & Star Pearl Inlays. Only 49 of each were sold. 1 of each type were given to the Artist (Kirk Hammett from Metallica) When I bought it I didn't even know it was such a limited edition piece.

yeah guitars like those they wouldn't make over a hundred of them
FearTheRain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 FearTheRain
Member since 2008 • 1470 Posts

This thread fails to deliver...

The Xbox 360 breaks for one reason and one reason alone.....CHEAP PARTS.