READ THIS!!! Solution to crashes caused by overheating!! (Thanks for the sticky)

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#51 Posted by 03EGTS (224 posts) -

My 360 was crashing a lot (like once every 20 minutes).  So I took the power supply off the ground and suspended it in the air with some string.  I have been playing for about 3 hours straight and no crashes so far!

EDIT:  I found an easier way to do this.  I got a box with no cover and put the power supply on the edges. 

Pics:

Power Brick 2

Power Brick 1

Goldeneyemaster

ROTFLMAO!!! WOW! JUST WOW! Great quality control Microsoft!

#52 Posted by Goldeneyemaster (6906 posts) -
I am sorry to have to bump this but I am sick of people whining about their 360 crashing and this is a very easy solution that works.
#53 Posted by JumpingMirrior (11495 posts) -

My 360 was crashing a lot (like once every 20 minutes). So I took the power supply off the ground and suspended it in the air with some string. I have been playing for about 3 hours straight and no crashes so far!

EDIT: I found an easier way to do this. I got a box with no cover and put the power supply on the edges.

Pics:

Power Brick 2

Power Brick 1

Goldeneyemaster

You are awesome
#54 Posted by thebitstreamer (7 posts) -

I guess that the PSU must be placed on an opened place.

For what I can see in picture you take PSU is confined in a closed space that make more diffucult to it to dissipate heat.

Have you tried to put the PSU on the floor in an open space?

#55 Posted by Goldeneyemaster (6906 posts) -

For what I can see in picture you take PSU is confined in a closed space that make more diffucult to it to dissipate heat.

thebitstreamer

Yes I have and it crashed.  My 360 has been on for 5 hours, still hasnt crashed.

#56 Posted by JumpingMirrior (11495 posts) -
[QUOTE="thebitstreamer"]

Goldeneyemaster

Yes I have and it crashed. My 360 has been on for 5 hours, still hasnt crashed.

What do you think about me. My floor is cold tiles. They can get damn cold. Do you think i could leave the brick on these cold tiles? ( I dont know exactly how hot it gets )
#57 Posted by Lee_h_2k5 (402 posts) -
if this solution works its need to be stickied!
#58 Posted by Oemenia (10240 posts) -
[QUOTE="Goldeneyemaster"][QUOTE="thebitstreamer"]

JumpingMirrior

What do you think about me. My floor is cold tiles. They can get damn cold. Do you think i could leave the brick on these cold tiles? ( I dont know exactly how hot it gets )

I would say thats even better!

#59 Posted by hailtotheking89 (290 posts) -
i didn't pay 500+ dollars to have to have a power brick pinata.
#60 Posted by Goldeneyemaster (6906 posts) -
[QUOTE="Goldeneyemaster"][QUOTE="thebitstreamer"]

JumpingMirrior

If it is on cold tiles it shouldnt overheat.  And if it does overheat you can always do this fix.

#61 Posted by JumpingMirrior (11495 posts) -
[QUOTE="JumpingMirrior"] [QUOTE="Goldeneyemaster"][QUOTE="thebitstreamer"]

Oemenia

I would say thats even better!

Plus i forgot to metion i have a fan i can make it blow ob the brick ( Its a powerful fan )
#62 Posted by Jackrm (1932 posts) -
Will putting the powerbrick on top of a lap top cooler work?
#63 Posted by Oemenia (10240 posts) -

i didn't pay 500+ dollars to have to have a power brick pinata. hailtotheking89

Well at least we know its not the console and just a cheapy brick which will 90% likely get replaced for free seeing that MS would want avoid having to replace XBOXs themselves.

#64 Posted by JumpingMirrior (11495 posts) -
[QUOTE="JumpingMirrior"] [QUOTE="Goldeneyemaster"][QUOTE="thebitstreamer"]

Goldeneyemaster

If it is on cold tiles it shouldnt overheat. And if it does overheat you can always do this fix.

I can always saw off a block of wood and make 4 legs for the brick, like the 360 has only bigger.
#65 Posted by Goldeneyemaster (6906 posts) -

if this solution works its need to be stickied!Lee_h_2k5

My Xbox 360 used to crash every 20 minutes.  Right now my 360 has been on for 5 hours without crashing.  This solution works!

#66 Posted by blackbahanut (758 posts) -
[QUOTE="WhiteSnake5000"] [QUOTE="Zaber123"]That's awesome, who would think? What gave you the idea in the first part to tie the power supple to a string and dangle it int he air?

I didn't expect anyone else to figure this out. I guess he pretty much thought the same thing I did, multi directional heat output. And I allways do it.

Yeah you said that a couple hours ago.
#67 Posted by JumpingMirrior (11495 posts) -

[QUOTE="Lee_h_2k5"]if this solution works its need to be stickied!Goldeneyemaster

My Xbox 360 used to crash every 20 minutes. Right now my 360 has been on for 5 hours without crashing. This solution works!

Good job dude! You just made me a future happy 360 owner!
#68 Posted by Goldeneyemaster (6906 posts) -
[QUOTE="Goldeneyemaster"][QUOTE="JumpingMirrior"] [QUOTE="Goldeneyemaster"][QUOTE="thebitstreamer"]

JumpingMirrior

If it is on cold tiles it shouldnt overheat. And if it does overheat you can always do this fix.

I can always saw off a block of wood and make 4 legs for the brick, like the 360 has only bigger.

Hey thanks for putting it in your sig.  I would suggest linkifying it.

#69 Posted by Oemenia (10240 posts) -
[QUOTE="JumpingMirrior"] [QUOTE="Goldeneyemaster"][QUOTE="JumpingMirrior"] [QUOTE="Goldeneyemaster"][QUOTE="thebitstreamer"]

Goldeneyemaster

Hey thanks for putting it in your sig.  I would suggest linkifying it.

I think ill do that too.

#70 Posted by JumpingMirrior (11495 posts) -
[QUOTE="JumpingMirrior"] [QUOTE="Goldeneyemaster"][QUOTE="JumpingMirrior"] [QUOTE="Goldeneyemaster"][QUOTE="thebitstreamer"]

Goldeneyemaster

Hey thanks for putting it in your sig. I would suggest linkifying it.

I use Firefox, and i cant get the link thing to work on it... I'll mention to copy and paste it
#71 Posted by KingSwampy (3301 posts) -

Bill Gates was arrested today for shipping faulty XBOX 360 consoles

But since you've found out how to fix the problem they've let him go

#72 Posted by JumpingMirrior (11495 posts) -

Bill Gates was areested today for shipping faulty XBOX 360 consoles

KingSwampy

Nnnice!
#73 Posted by Goldeneyemaster (6906 posts) -

KingSwampy

:lol: Is that actually Bill Gates?

#74 Posted by popcornplaya12 (911 posts) -
Great idea man
#75 Posted by Oemenia (10240 posts) -
LOL yeah thats him, i think that was for drink driving offences. Bah, saw this image aaaaaaages ago.
#76 Posted by Goldeneyemaster (6906 posts) -
Why dont they sticky this? It will keep down all the stupid topics with people whining on this board.
#77 Posted by KingSwampy (3301 posts) -
[QUOTE="KingSwampy"]

Goldeneyemaster

:lol: Is that actually Bill Gates?

Yeah he got done for a minor traffic offence when he was about 20, nothing to do with drink driving just something silly.

#78 Posted by JumpingMirrior (11495 posts) -
IDK man. I wanted them to sticky a topic about VGA HD cables... ( Actually 2, mine and somebosy elses. ) I PMed 2 mods, nothing happened....
#79 Posted by PWS41 (3224 posts) -
Put {MODS PLEASE STICKY} in the title
#80 Posted by Goldeneyemaster (6906 posts) -

All we can do is keep this bumped so people will see it before they post their pointless threads.

#81 Posted by Stephen149 (377 posts) -
bump

STICKY THIS THREAD PLEASE!
#82 Posted by Stephen149 (377 posts) -
bump

just sticky it god damnit lol
#83 Posted by 202170209923959959965889200163 (1897 posts) -

Bumpy Bumple Bump!

:D

#84 Posted by Lee_h_2k5 (402 posts) -

BUMP sticky pleaseeeeeeeee

#85 Posted by 202170209923959959965889200163 (1897 posts) -

Also can more people confirm this method?

#86 Posted by JumpingMirrior (11495 posts) -
I sent fiddlecub a PM asking him, extremely kindfully, if he can Sticky it.... Hope he gets its soon
#87 Posted by Goldeneyemaster (6906 posts) -

jamie3000

I am also curious to see how it works for other people.  But for me, it works great!

#88 Posted by JumpingMirrior (11495 posts) -
[QUOTE="jamie3000"]

Goldeneyemaster

I am also curious to see how it works for other people. But for me, it works great!

I told a friend of mine, hes gonna try it.
#89 Posted by dmb34 (1039 posts) -
No crashes here, I even tested it last night by leaving the 360 on for about 5 hrs straight with pgr3 running and nothing happened. I know this thing puts out the heat but if it is the power supply it could be fixed by taking it apart and drilling some small vent holes in the case.
#90 Posted by X360PS3AMD05 (36298 posts) -
i think the best way would be for everybody to just put their xbox360 in a mini fridge right next to their couches and just cut some holes to plug it into the tv plus if u ever get thirsty you can grab a soda lol
#91 Posted by hiphopanimator (11156 posts) -
Where Im from we call that ghetto.....
#92 Posted by Stephen149 (377 posts) -
LOL

bump
#93 Posted by JumpingMirrior (11495 posts) -
bump
#94 Posted by Goldeneyemaster (6906 posts) -
Sombody should post this on the www.xbox.com forums.  Just post the link to this thread.  There are a lot of people crying over their "defective" 360s over there.
#95 Posted by Oemenia (10240 posts) -
If we are to get a sticky, we need to really prove this. Right no we havent got many people unfortunately.
#96 Posted by hiphopanimator (11156 posts) -
wow is everyone fighting for this thread?
#97 Posted by JumpingMirrior (11495 posts) -
Sombody should post this on the www.xbox.com forums. Just post the link to this thread. There are a lot of people crying over their "defective" 360s over there.Goldeneyemaster

I got it
#98 Posted by hiphopanimator (11156 posts) -
I don't think this is going to get sticked.....

I mean really....

"WHEN YOUR XBOX CRASHES..... PUT THE POWER SUPPLY ON A BOX!!!!11!!!"
#99 Posted by juanster16 (351 posts) -
good tip
#100 Posted by Stephen149 (377 posts) -
I e-mailed tech support to let them know about the fix. Hopefully the word gets spread quickly.