Questions about XB1

#1 Edited by birdgang_1 (206 posts) -

Okay, I'm going to start off by saying that after having played the console for a couple of hours I am in absolute love with it. I love how Microsoft continues to develop media center capabilities for their console and they've really done everything right this gen so far (exlcuding the pre-release online check-in and kinect nonsense).

Now I base my decisions, ultimately, on the console with the most Japanese footing. There's just too many deep and fun Japanese titles, whether imported or released locally, to pass up (Gundam Extreme, Super Robot Wars, BlazBlue, many RPGs). Does anybody know if Microsoft is making an effort to try and finally gain some footing with Japanese developers?

I would love to buy the XB1 and have it as my only console but if these kind of games are left out once again, I'll have to stick to buying the PS4.

Also are there any hardware issues ala RROD?

#2 Posted by MrFreehuggs (96 posts) -

I love my Xbox One and have had zero issues with it. I had my PS4 stacked directly on top of it for a week, on all day for either TV or gaming, and it never over-heated. I even played playstation while the Xbox was still on and it was still fairly cool to the touch. It was a very dumb set up but I was in between entertainment centers.

With that being said, if your looking for JRPGs, Xbox is not the way to go. You'll want a PS4. Mind you, there are none for either right now

#3 Posted by SolidTy (42825 posts) -

I love my Xbox One and have had zero issues with it. I had my PS4 stacked directly on top of it for a week, on all day for either TV or gaming, and it never over-heated. I even played playstation while the Xbox was still on and it was still fairly cool to the touch. It was a very dumb set up but I was in between entertainment centers.

With that being said, if your looking for JRPGs, Xbox is not the way to go. You'll want a PS4. Mind you, there are none for either right now

I agree.

#4 Edited by birdgang_1 (206 posts) -

I love my Xbox One and have had zero issues with it. I had my PS4 stacked directly on top of it for a week, on all day for either TV or gaming, and it never over-heated. I even played playstation while the Xbox was still on and it was still fairly cool to the touch. It was a very dumb set up but I was in between entertainment centers.

With that being said, if your looking for JRPGs, Xbox is not the way to go. You'll want a PS4. Mind you, there are none for either right now

That is amazing to hear, seeing as I've lost two 360s to RROD. It's still a difficult choice right now... I feel the Xbox will end up winning but I don't know lol. Too many great potential Jap games to pass up.

#5 Posted by DHMATT90 (94 posts) -

@MrFreehuggs said:

I love my Xbox One and have had zero issues with it. I had my PS4 stacked directly on top of it for a week, on all day for either TV or gaming, and it never over-heated. I even played playstation while the Xbox was still on and it was still fairly cool to the touch. It was a very dumb set up but I was in between entertainment centers.

With that being said, if your looking for JRPGs, Xbox is not the way to go. You'll want a PS4. Mind you, there are none for either right now

That is amazing to hear, seeing as I've lost two 360s to RROD. It's still a difficult choice right now... I feel the Xbox will end up winning but I don't know lol. Too many great potential Jap games to pass up.

If both was an option.... =P

If you don't wanna pass on those JRPG, you gotta have a ps4. Especially now that's doing pretty good in japan, we should see more of those. However, the possibility of them coming out for the xbox one is lower.

Thankfully I got both of them, so I don't have to worry

#6 Posted by birdgang_1 (206 posts) -

@dhmatt90 said:

@birdgang_1 said:

@MrFreehuggs said:

I love my Xbox One and have had zero issues with it. I had my PS4 stacked directly on top of it for a week, on all day for either TV or gaming, and it never over-heated. I even played playstation while the Xbox was still on and it was still fairly cool to the touch. It was a very dumb set up but I was in between entertainment centers.

With that being said, if your looking for JRPGs, Xbox is not the way to go. You'll want a PS4. Mind you, there are none for either right now

That is amazing to hear, seeing as I've lost two 360s to RROD. It's still a difficult choice right now... I feel the Xbox will end up winning but I don't know lol. Too many great potential Jap games to pass up.

If both was an option.... =P

If you don't wanna pass on those JRPG, you gotta have a ps4. Especially now that's doing pretty good in japan, we should see more of those. However, the possibility of them coming out for the xbox one is lower.

Thankfully I got both of them, so I don't have to worry

I can definitely see myself getting both as I can afford it now that I'm working. Usually I like to stick with one (already got PC) but I may use the Xbox to play the multiplats and use the PS4 to play exclusives only. Gaming is just looking way too good this gen.

#7 Edited by SolidTy (42825 posts) -

@birdgang_1 said:

@dhmatt90 said:

@birdgang_1 said:

@MrFreehuggs said:

I love my Xbox One and have had zero issues with it. I had my PS4 stacked directly on top of it for a week, on all day for either TV or gaming, and it never over-heated. I even played playstation while the Xbox was still on and it was still fairly cool to the touch. It was a very dumb set up but I was in between entertainment centers.

With that being said, if your looking for JRPGs, Xbox is not the way to go. You'll want a PS4. Mind you, there are none for either right now

That is amazing to hear, seeing as I've lost two 360s to RROD. It's still a difficult choice right now... I feel the Xbox will end up winning but I don't know lol. Too many great potential Jap games to pass up.

If both was an option.... =P

If you don't wanna pass on those JRPG, you gotta have a ps4. Especially now that's doing pretty good in japan, we should see more of those. However, the possibility of them coming out for the xbox one is lower.

Thankfully I got both of them, so I don't have to worry

I can definitely see myself getting both as I can afford it now that I'm working. Usually I like to stick with one (already got PC) but I may use the Xbox to play the multiplats and use the PS4 to play exclusives only. Gaming is just looking way too good this gen.

You realize the multiplat advantage is in the PS4 performance wise and power this time around?

Last gen it was 360, but this gen it's been switched around.

Anyways, I bought a launch Xbone and PS4. The Xbone is for exclusives, the PS4 is for exclusives and multiplats.

#8 Posted by sukraj (22608 posts) -

I too love my xbox one

#9 Posted by birdgang_1 (206 posts) -

@SolidTy said:

@birdgang_1 said:

@dhmatt90 said:

@birdgang_1 said:

@MrFreehuggs said:

I love my Xbox One and have had zero issues with it. I had my PS4 stacked directly on top of it for a week, on all day for either TV or gaming, and it never over-heated. I even played playstation while the Xbox was still on and it was still fairly cool to the touch. It was a very dumb set up but I was in between entertainment centers.

With that being said, if your looking for JRPGs, Xbox is not the way to go. You'll want a PS4. Mind you, there are none for either right now

That is amazing to hear, seeing as I've lost two 360s to RROD. It's still a difficult choice right now... I feel the Xbox will end up winning but I don't know lol. Too many great potential Jap games to pass up.

If both was an option.... =P

If you don't wanna pass on those JRPG, you gotta have a ps4. Especially now that's doing pretty good in japan, we should see more of those. However, the possibility of them coming out for the xbox one is lower.

Thankfully I got both of them, so I don't have to worry

I can definitely see myself getting both as I can afford it now that I'm working. Usually I like to stick with one (already got PC) but I may use the Xbox to play the multiplats and use the PS4 to play exclusives only. Gaming is just looking way too good this gen.

You realize the multiplat advantage is in the PS4 performance wise and power this time around?

Last gen it was 360, but this gen it's been switched around.

Anyways, I bought a launch Xbone and PS4. The Xbone is for exclusives, the PS4 is for exclusives and multiplats.

Yeah but the advantage is so negligible that unless you were REALLY trying to, you wouldn't even notice a difference. Just like last gen, multiplats on 360 were better but I had a PS3 and my brother had his 360 around when he still lived with me.. there was like no difference that I could actually notice. Some games like Bayonetta I heard were noticeably inferior but I didn't even wanna play that game in the first place lol

The Xbone carries the media center advantage too I love having my stuff centralized basically

#10 Posted by Alucard_Prime (2853 posts) -

Looks like a thread that is degenerating into a system wars discussion

#11 Edited by SolidTy (42825 posts) -

@birdgang_1 said:

@SolidTy said:

You realize the multiplat advantage is in the PS4 performance wise and power this time around?

Last gen it was 360, but this gen it's been switched around.

Anyways, I bought a launch Xbone and PS4. The Xbone is for exclusives, the PS4 is for exclusives and multiplats.

Yeah but the advantage is so negligible that unless you were REALLY trying to, you wouldn't even notice a difference. Just like last gen, multiplats on 360 were better but I had a PS3 and my brother had his 360 around when he still lived with me.. there was like no difference that I could actually notice. Some games like Bayonetta I heard were noticeably inferior but I didn't even wanna play that game in the first place lol

The Xbone carries the media center advantage too I love having my stuff centralized basically

The multiplat difference is a lot greater this gen than last gen, but whatever floats your boat. I know this from owning the machines and doing a lot of tests, but don't take my word for it, there's hundreds of gamers comparing all over the net and discovering the same thing. Even smaller things like installs take forever on Xbone, which is surprising considering how the 360 worked. That's because the 360 team didn't design the xbone. You'll see when you get both, if you ever do comparisons. During Launch years there isn't a lot of games, so that's when I have a little spare time to tinker with these machines instead of playing more games. Even little things like $50 PS+ and $60 XBLG which comes with GwG. Since launch PS+ gave 14 free PS+ games away and since Nov 2013 launch Xbone gave away 5 GwG free games. GwG just started this June for whatever reason and in that time frame gave users 5 games. In that same time frame PS+ gave their users 7 games. If you use Metacritic, there is also a gap in quality, the GwG games so far have been lower quality choices. The more expensive machine ($500) with the more expensive service ($60) offered less and lower quality 'free' games. Just sort of strange considering the NFL Deal, the recent Timed exclusive TR 360/Xbone deal, but on the consumer end it could be improved.

If you have both machines, why buy the inferior version for the same price. If I only had one machine I wouldn't care like when you only had a PS3, but if you have both machines (I had both last gen), I go for the performance if there is one. It's true last gen for the most part the advantages were negligible, but the gap is larger this generation than last generation.

The Xbone doing media center stuff doesn't change or alter the multiplat discrepancy. In fact, the Xbone additional HDMI port to toggle another device lowers the resolution of that device and adds slight lag. After noticing that discrepancy and doing a lot of research I discovered laymen wouldn't notice, it's more for tech junkies that have issue, which unfortunately I am. I disconnected the device and ran it through my expensive AVR. If you get Kinect, it's you can turn on the machine with your voice assuming your speakers aren't too loud which I have a 7.1 Surround Setup so I end up using my controller anyways instead of voice (truth be told, if you have to say commands multiple times even with the sound off, I would rather just push a button). That's the only major differences to me, Kinect and an extra HDMI port.

To be perfectly honest, the older PS3 and even 360 to a lesser extent (no Blu-Ray) are better media centers with more features and apps than the PS4 or Xbone. You have a PS3 and access to a 360, so you'll discover that soon enough. In fact, I watch Blu-Rays on my PS3 over my Xbone and PS4 to this day.

I just wanted to fill you in as I own both so my comparisons don't come from internet comparisons, but rather my living-room. I've even borrowed/rented games on both to do comparisons to check these machines out.

To answer about your initial query once again: It appears that the Japanese footing between both machines in the future and today is leaning towards the PS4. There is the sales variable which is 3:1 or something like that. I know PS4 just hit 10 million units and that's going to attract developers around the world. However, specifically Japanese titles traditionally go to Playstation because they have a presence in Japan and sadly the Xbone, 360, and Xbox did not. That's not to say they won't have some Japanese fun and deep games, but when talking about quantity from that region, the PS4 will have that advantage in gaining more deep and fun Japanese titles from Japanese developers. Bloodborne is a good, recent example of that (from Sony and From Software and the director of Demon's Souls).

Anyways, have a good one man.

#12 Edited by SolidTy (42825 posts) -

Now I base my decisions, ultimately, on the console with the most Japanese footing. There's just too many deep and fun Japanese titles, whether imported or released locally, to pass up (Gundam Extreme, Super Robot Wars, BlazBlue, many RPGs). Does anybody know if Microsoft is making an effort to try and finally gain some footing with Japanese developers?

I would love to buy the XB1 and have it as my only console but if these kind of games are left out once again, I'll have to stick to buying the PS4.

Also are there any hardware issues ala RROD?

Looks like a thread that is degenerating into a system wars discussion

I highlighted the OP above. The thread didn't degenerate, it started with a system wars-like comparison and asking about footing with Japanese developers. He's asking for a system comparison, there was no way to avoid the topic if you want to help answer the question.

Since you posted, I noticed you didn't answer his question about Japanese footing between both machines in the future and today. By answering, you would find you too are put in a dilemma between choosing "sides" for which machine will have many deep and fun Japanese titles from Japanese developers. Did you research that and forget to post what system you think will have many deep and fun Japanese titles?

#13 Posted by birdgang_1 (206 posts) -

@SolidTy said:

@birdgang_1 said:

@SolidTy said:

You realize the multiplat advantage is in the PS4 performance wise and power this time around?

Last gen it was 360, but this gen it's been switched around.

Anyways, I bought a launch Xbone and PS4. The Xbone is for exclusives, the PS4 is for exclusives and multiplats.

Yeah but the advantage is so negligible that unless you were REALLY trying to, you wouldn't even notice a difference. Just like last gen, multiplats on 360 were better but I had a PS3 and my brother had his 360 around when he still lived with me.. there was like no difference that I could actually notice. Some games like Bayonetta I heard were noticeably inferior but I didn't even wanna play that game in the first place lol

The Xbone carries the media center advantage too I love having my stuff centralized basically

The multiplat difference is a lot greater this gen than last gen, but whatever floats your boat. I know this from owning the machines and doing a lot of tests, but don't take my word for it, there's hundreds of gamers comparing all over the net and discovering the same thing. Even smaller things like installs take forever on Xbone, which is surprising considering how the 360 worked. That's because the 360 team didn't design the xbone. You'll see when you get both, if you ever do comparisons. During Launch years there isn't a lot of games, so that's when I have a little spare time to tinker with these machines instead of playing more games. Even little things like $50 PS+ and $60 XBLG which comes with GwG. Since launch PS+ gave 14 free PS+ games away and since Nov 2013 launch Xbone gave away 5 GwG free games. GwG just started this June for whatever reason and in that time frame gave users 5 games. In that same time frame PS+ gave their users 7 games. If you use Metacritic, there is also a gap in quality, the GwG games so far have been lower quality choices. The more expensive machine ($500) with the more expensive service ($60) offered less and lower quality 'free' games. Just sort of strange considering the NFL Deal, the recent Timed exclusive TR 360/Xbone deal, but on the consumer end it could be improved.

If you have both machines, why buy the inferior version for the same price. If I only had one machine I wouldn't care like when you only had a PS3, but if you have both machines (I had both last gen), I go for the performance if there is one. It's true last gen for the most part the advantages were negligible, but the gap is larger this generation than last generation.

The Xbone doing media center stuff doesn't change or alter the multiplat discrepancy. In fact, the Xbone additional HDMI port to toggle another device lowers the resolution of that device and adds slight lag. After noticing that discrepancy and doing a lot of research I discovered laymen wouldn't notice, it's more for tech junkies that have issue, which unfortunately I am. I disconnected the device and ran it through my expensive AVR. If you get Kinect, it's you can turn on the machine with your voice assuming your speakers aren't too loud which I have a 7.1 Surround Setup so I end up using my controller anyways instead of voice (truth be told, if you have to say commands multiple times even with the sound off, I would rather just push a button). That's the only major differences to me, Kinect and an extra HDMI port.

To be perfectly honest, the older PS3 and even 360 to a lesser extent (no Blu-Ray) are better media centers with more features and apps than the PS4 or Xbone. You have a PS3 and access to a 360, so you'll discover that soon enough. In fact, I watch Blu-Rays on my PS3 over my Xbone and PS4 to this day.

I just wanted to fill you in as I own both so my comparisons don't come from internet comparisons, but rather my living-room. I've even borrowed/rented games on both to do comparisons to check these machines out.

To answer about your initial query once again: It appears that the Japanese footing between both machines in the future and today is leaning towards the PS4. There is the sales variable which is 3:1 or something like that. I know PS4 just hit 10 million units and that's going to attract developers around the world. However, specifically Japanese titles traditionally go to Playstation because they have a presence in Japan and sadly the Xbone, 360, and Xbox did not. That's not to say they won't have some Japanese fun and deep games, but when talking about quantity from that region, the PS4 will have that advantage in gaining more deep and fun Japanese titles from Japanese developers. Bloodborne is a good, recent example of that (from Sony and From Software and the director of Demon's Souls).

Anyways, have a good one man.

Thanks a lot for the time in helping me with this. I've yet to make a decision set in stone but yeah, it does look like the PS4 would be the better choice for multiplats and as a first purchase.

#14 Edited by SolidTy (42825 posts) -

@SolidTy said:

@birdgang_1 said:

@SolidTy said:

You realize the multiplat advantage is in the PS4 performance wise and power this time around?

Last gen it was 360, but this gen it's been switched around.

Anyways, I bought a launch Xbone and PS4. The Xbone is for exclusives, the PS4 is for exclusives and multiplats.

Yeah but the advantage is so negligible that unless you were REALLY trying to, you wouldn't even notice a difference. Just like last gen, multiplats on 360 were better but I had a PS3 and my brother had his 360 around when he still lived with me.. there was like no difference that I could actually notice. Some games like Bayonetta I heard were noticeably inferior but I didn't even wanna play that game in the first place lol

The Xbone carries the media center advantage too I love having my stuff centralized basically

The multiplat difference is a lot greater this gen than last gen, but whatever floats your boat. I know this from owning the machines and doing a lot of tests, but don't take my word for it, there's hundreds of gamers comparing all over the net and discovering the same thing. Even smaller things like installs take forever on Xbone, which is surprising considering how the 360 worked. That's because the 360 team didn't design the xbone. You'll see when you get both, if you ever do comparisons. During Launch years there isn't a lot of games, so that's when I have a little spare time to tinker with these machines instead of playing more games. Even little things like $50 PS+ and $60 XBLG which comes with GwG. Since launch PS+ gave 14 free PS+ games away and since Nov 2013 launch Xbone gave away 5 GwG free games. GwG just started this June for whatever reason and in that time frame gave users 5 games. In that same time frame PS+ gave their users 7 games. If you use Metacritic, there is also a gap in quality, the GwG games so far have been lower quality choices. The more expensive machine ($500) with the more expensive service ($60) offered less and lower quality 'free' games. Just sort of strange considering the NFL Deal, the recent Timed exclusive TR 360/Xbone deal, but on the consumer end it could be improved.

If you have both machines, why buy the inferior version for the same price. If I only had one machine I wouldn't care like when you only had a PS3, but if you have both machines (I had both last gen), I go for the performance if there is one. It's true last gen for the most part the advantages were negligible, but the gap is larger this generation than last generation.

The Xbone doing media center stuff doesn't change or alter the multiplat discrepancy. In fact, the Xbone additional HDMI port to toggle another device lowers the resolution of that device and adds slight lag. After noticing that discrepancy and doing a lot of research I discovered laymen wouldn't notice, it's more for tech junkies that have issue, which unfortunately I am. I disconnected the device and ran it through my expensive AVR. If you get Kinect, it's you can turn on the machine with your voice assuming your speakers aren't too loud which I have a 7.1 Surround Setup so I end up using my controller anyways instead of voice (truth be told, if you have to say commands multiple times even with the sound off, I would rather just push a button). That's the only major differences to me, Kinect and an extra HDMI port.

To be perfectly honest, the older PS3 and even 360 to a lesser extent (no Blu-Ray) are better media centers with more features and apps than the PS4 or Xbone. You have a PS3 and access to a 360, so you'll discover that soon enough. In fact, I watch Blu-Rays on my PS3 over my Xbone and PS4 to this day.

I just wanted to fill you in as I own both so my comparisons don't come from internet comparisons, but rather my living-room. I've even borrowed/rented games on both to do comparisons to check these machines out.

To answer about your initial query once again: It appears that the Japanese footing between both machines in the future and today is leaning towards the PS4. There is the sales variable which is 3:1 or something like that. I know PS4 just hit 10 million units and that's going to attract developers around the world. However, specifically Japanese titles traditionally go to Playstation because they have a presence in Japan and sadly the Xbone, 360, and Xbox did not. That's not to say they won't have some Japanese fun and deep games, but when talking about quantity from that region, the PS4 will have that advantage in gaining more deep and fun Japanese titles from Japanese developers. Bloodborne is a good, recent example of that (from Sony and From Software and the director of Demon's Souls).

Anyways, have a good one man.

Thanks a lot for the time in helping me with this. I've yet to make a decision set in stone but yeah, it does look like the PS4 would be the better choice for multiplats and as a first purchase.

For the record I ended up buying both, lol. I pretty much save up money last generation and was waiting for the upgrade. I'll do the same thing this gen so I'll have enough money for the PS5/Xbox 1080 when those release.

It would be nice if I could just buy one machine though, save me money. :)

#15 Posted by Alucard_Prime (2853 posts) -

@SolidTy: I stand by what I said, I wasn't necessarily placing all the blame on you, just saying this thread belongs more in System wars(cross platform discussions are prohibited as stated in the board rules). When you say stuff like "You realize the multiplat advantage is in the PS4 performance wise and power this time around? Last gen it was 360, but this gen it's been switched around."......that is classic system wars material, just sayin' . It doesn't matter that you felt it necessary to mention that to address the OP, I'm just saying this whole thread would more fitting in System Wars than here......no offense.

#16 Edited by SolidTy (42825 posts) -

@Alucard_Prime said:

@SolidTy: I stand by what I said, I wasn't necessarily placing all the blame on you, just saying this thread belongs more in System wars(cross platform discussions are prohibited as stated in the board rules). When you say stuff like "You realize the multiplat advantage is in the PS4 performance wise and power this time around? Last gen it was 360, but this gen it's been switched around."......that is classic system wars material, just sayin' . It doesn't matter that you felt it necessary to mention that to address the OP, I'm just saying this whole thread would more fitting in System Wars than here......no offense.

I feel ya.

You still never actually answered the Original Poster though.

#17 Edited by birdgang_1 (206 posts) -

@Alucard_Prime said:

@SolidTy: I stand by what I said, I wasn't necessarily placing all the blame on you, just saying this thread belongs more in System wars(cross platform discussions are prohibited as stated in the board rules). When you say stuff like "You realize the multiplat advantage is in the PS4 performance wise and power this time around? Last gen it was 360, but this gen it's been switched around."......that is classic system wars material, just sayin' . It doesn't matter that you felt it necessary to mention that to address the OP, I'm just saying this whole thread would more fitting in System Wars than here......no offense.

I felt it belonged more in this forum because I was hoping that people who own a XB1 and know anything about how much support it's gonna have in the Japanese market would answer. It was a lot more about the XB1, I just threw in the "might have to just get PS4" basically as an option. I probably shouldn't have mentioned the PS4

#18 Posted by Alucard_Prime (2853 posts) -

@birdgang_1:

Hey no worries I don't mean to be stingy I just am kind of staying away from System wars because it's always the same kind of discussions there and it's cool to be on neutral gound here but I know where you're coming from it's cool.....I actually agree I don't think many Jap games would come to Xbox One, I mean there were a few on the 360 I guess like that weird shooter than came a few years back, forgot what it is called....but based on Xbox One announcement don't see it as a big home for Jap titles, not this year anyways

#19 Posted by adders99 (2605 posts) -

@birdgang_1:

Hey no worries I don't mean to be stingy I just am kind of staying away from System wars because it's always the same kind of discussions there and it's cool to be on neutral gound here but I know where you're coming from it's cool.....I actually agree I don't think many Jap games would come to Xbox One, I mean there were a few on the 360 I guess like that weird shooter than came a few years back, forgot what it is called....but based on Xbox One announcement don't see it as a big home for Jap titles, not this year anyways

I am fine with the fact that not as many japanese games might not come to the X1... I dont really care for many of them, which is why I prefer the X1. I mean if there is plenty of japanese games to choose from on the xbox then its more the merrier I say!

#20 Posted by birdgang_1 (206 posts) -

@adders99 said:

@Alucard_Prime said:

@birdgang_1:

Hey no worries I don't mean to be stingy I just am kind of staying away from System wars because it's always the same kind of discussions there and it's cool to be on neutral gound here but I know where you're coming from it's cool.....I actually agree I don't think many Jap games would come to Xbox One, I mean there were a few on the 360 I guess like that weird shooter than came a few years back, forgot what it is called....but based on Xbox One announcement don't see it as a big home for Jap titles, not this year anyways

I am fine with the fact that not as many japanese games might not come to the X1... I dont really care for many of them, which is why I prefer the X1. I mean if there is plenty of japanese games to choose from on the xbox then its more the merrier I say!

Yeah it's just a preference thing :P. I'm a fan of really deep games, I guess you can say complicated as well, and a lot of Japanese games fit the bill.

#21 Posted by Ovirew (6348 posts) -

@birdgang_1: Actually a few forum posters here have made topics discussing Microsoft's efforts with the XBox brand in Japan. Microsoft appears to be making some effort to promote the system there, and they have gotten some Japanese developers interested in the system, but at the moment it's still anyone's guess if the Japanese will even be interested in the system.

Apparently it launches in Japan on Sept. 6th.

I guess one big mention that everyone has known about for a while now is Square Enix is supporting the system with the multi-console FF15 and KH3. I still think the KH3 add is kind of odd, but I guess the games have been all over the place and skipped an entire gen anyways. They are also making the new Tomb Raider game a timed exclusive.

I love seeing a variety of games and genres on any system, and I think the XBox One is doing a great job of expanding upon the brand's variety as the 360 did. That said, I don't think Microsoft should waste time on Japan. If people will buy it there, cool. But Microsoft shouldn't waste a lot of money campaigning there when it's so hard to figure out what the current trends are and if console gaming is even still a thing people like to partake in. Microsoft has a much better chance of focusing here at home, and in Europe, which is seeing tough competition from Sony.

#22 Posted by SolidTy (42825 posts) -

@Ovirew said:

@birdgang_1: They are also making the new Tomb Raider game a timed exclusive.

Tomb Raider isn't Japanese developed though which is what the TC was talking about. Just FYI.

Square Enix (Japanese) bought Eidos (Not Japanese). The SE purchase of Publisher Eidos came with owning the western studio Crystal Dynamics (Based in the San Francisco Bay Area, U.S.A.) is not a Japanese studio and never has been.

I've been playing CD's games 1995's Gex, Blood Omen, and Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver.

It's true, TR2 was slated for PC, PS3, 360, Xbone, and PS4 a few months ago by various retailers but now TR2 is a timed exclusive for the 360 and Xbone.

Perhaps you knew CD was an American Studio and TR was Western Developed, but I wanted to make sure. I was weaned on Japanese games as a kid and TR is definitely not a Japanese developed game. It doesn't even play like one, to be honest.