Prince of Persia ending *spoilers*

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by ethanpaige (13100 posts) -
What's your oppinion on it? I'm torn on it. I feel it made alot of sense, seeing as how the Prince cared so much for Elika, and so little for the City. He would let the city be destroyed in order to be back with Elika because he loved her. Still though, I would have preferred them show Elika's feelings towards the Prince at the end. It was obvious that she cared for him the same way he cared for her, but when he looked at her, she just looked away. Elika did state that there are fertile grounds outside the city... maybe the Prince plans on using them, or finding Ormazd to put Aruhman away once and for all? It's clear that he will only be happy with the ending if Elika is still standing beside him... the ending brings up alot of questions.
#2 Posted by Ry32 (2 posts) -

I just finished it yesterday, I couldn't believe the end! It was like a slap in the face (for me) cause come on! We gamers spend time to heal the fertile ground and at the end it isn't over. I was like "WTF!" my sis watching thought it was a lame way to step up the next game (if there is one). The ending should give closure to the person even though some rising questions and have a sense of satisfaction. I however did not gain the satisfaction! They totally discredit the player's hard work just to step up a cool ending. - rOs (confused, pissed abt the end)

#3 Posted by SparrowDove (1 posts) -

Well, let me start out by saying, I LOVED this game-- until the last 2 minutes.

I thought the new Prince was a charming and worthy successor to the Sands of Time Prince, and the new dynamic Elika added in lieu of the dagger was great. Don't need to go on about the graphics, because even if you don't like the more controversial aspects of the game, the graphics are probably something we can all agree on.

All that was to say, I loved this game-- until the last 2 minutes...

I am OK with sad and tragic endings, if they make sense. However, I really don't think they set up the ending very well which means they did it strictly so they could make a sequel, or to shock the h*** out of us, neither of which is a good enough reason to say "Ha ha! The last however many hours you spent beating this game didn't actually count!!!"

The Prince has known Elika for what? A day? Two days? A week? Nowhere did the writers have time to develop the "love" aspect enough for me to buy that ending, mostly because of the open world build. They had to keep the relationship pretty static so that if you didn't beat the levels in a certain order you wouldn't feel like you were missing part of the story... (However, personally, I beat the Concubine and the Hunter first, so when I went back to the Warrior and they're acting like they met five minutes ago, it was really jarring.) I felt the ending wasn't true to the character, who plays the lovable scoundrel throughout the story, but you always figure in the end he'll do the right thing. You're led to believe he should be a strong enough character to not collapse in a heap when he loses Elika... which is pretty much what he does. I don't think it was true to the tone of the game, which seemed to more match SoT and then, suddenly throws us a "Warrior Within" ending...? (No offense meant to Warrior Within.)

For a game that otherwise would have been on my list for personal fave game of the year, I don't know if I've seen a worse ending since KOTOR II.

#4 Posted by daftshadow (10 posts) -

"Throughout the game The Prince and Elika constantly have "visions" of Elika's father making a deal with Ahriman. These usually occur after unlocking one of Elika's new powers.

Well on the second time that Elika unlocks a power, the vision is of her falling. The Prince tells her that she shouldn't believe the vision, as it could be Ahriman playing with her mind.

Elika responds "The visions are not from Ahriman."

Fast forward to the end of the game, Elika's dead on the altar and what happens? The Prince receives the vision of how to revive Elika - by freeing Ahriman.

But if the visions don't come from Ahriman, then that means that Ormazd is telling The Prince that Elika was not meant to die.

Now the ending makes a lot more sense to me - Ormazd is saying that Elika must use her powers to *stop* Ahriman once and for all, not to just lock him away again. And there are hints throughout that The Prince has been sent by Ormazd as kind of his agent to protect her.

He frees Ahriman because Ormazd tells him to - not for some inexplicable reason. He gets the vision and then proceeds to cut down trees."

The ending is not stupid. This ending is set up for a sequel. Did you honestly think they would kill off Elika with a stupid ending?!

#5 Posted by Aenigma_Anima (3 posts) -

"Throughout the game The Prince and Elika constantly have "visions" of Elika's father making a deal with Ahriman. These usually occur after unlocking one of Elika's new powers.

Well on the second time that Elika unlocks a power, the vision is of her falling. The Prince tells her that she shouldn't believe the vision, as it could be Ahriman playing with her mind.

Fast forward to the end of the game, Elika's dead on the altar and what happens? The Prince receives the vision of how to revive Elika - by freeing Ahriman.

But if the visions don't come from Ahriman, then that means that Ormazd is telling The Prince that Elika was not meant to die.

Now the ending makes a lot more sense to me - Ormazd is saying that Elika must use her powers to *stop* Ahriman once and for all, not to just lock him away again. And there are hints throughout that The Prince has been sent by Ormazd as kind of his agent to protect her.

He frees Ahriman because Ormazd tells him to - not for some inexplicable reason. He gets the vision and then proceeds to cut down trees."

The ending is not stupid. This ending is set up for a sequel. Did you honestly think they would kill off Elika with a stupid ending?!

daftshadow

^ This. While it might seem a little confusing to most people that haven't carefully followed the dialogue, this is the best explanation you will find of the ending until the writers finally make a response.

#6 Posted by njmg5454 (1 posts) -

I am a hardcore Prince of Persia fan and I have to say that I am disappointed at all. After played all of the POP games, there was so much more to them than to this. There was 4 bosses in this that you fought 5 times each. Then Elika fathers which you fought 3 times. Then the dumb enemies you fought MAYBE 10-15 times depending "how fast" you can pass them. The game itself, I did not like. It felt the like the same thing, over and over and over again.

I beat the game to see what the ending was like. There should have been more to the story. You only saw the two interact during the scenes after each boss fight; which wasn't enough to determine their "love". The ending in my opinion was probably the best ending in any of the POP series. Seeing that this game was a "brand new" Prince of Persia, I think Ubisoft ended this game in great fashion. He never found his Donkey!

#7 Posted by lam3b0tz (4 posts) -

Before we criticize the easy gameplay, lets not forget that this is perhaps the best 3d platformers for 2008.

As for the ending, it is completely believable. Personally, I liked the fact that you have to move to cut down the trees and save Elika. We have seen strange things done for love, in real life or in the movies, why not in a video game? Well, its either you like it or hate it. The storyline is completely believable. The prince did NOT know that Elika will die after restoring the temple's land. Which is why, he went along with Elika to restore the land cuz he blindly followed Elika.

And so, we await the sequel. I have a feeling that POP2 will be about finding Ormadz, who was suspiciously absent thoroughout the game.

#8 Posted by totaldj (3556 posts) -
my BS detector went off when I saw the ending...Ubisoft is really giving some stupid ass endings in their games these days. It was a cliff hanger to me. Din't like it
#9 Posted by XxSTILL_BORNxX (5749 posts) -
[QUOTE="daftshadow"]

Aenigma_Anima

^ This. While it might seem a little confusing to most people that haven't carefully followed the dialogue, this is the best explanation you will find of the ending until the writers finally make a response.

Double this^ , the ending was great and it made alot of sense since i talked with elika alot and learned too much about ormazd, the city and everything. can't wait for part 2!
#10 Posted by Haziqonfire (36344 posts) -
I loved the ending. It was unique and awesomely done to show how much the Prince cared for Elika and how their relationship transformed from being nothing but a random encounter to a loving relationship.
#11 Posted by _Doomsayer_ (18616 posts) -

daftshadow
Now that you mention it, I do remember her saying the visions were not from Ahriman. That makes perfect sense. I loved the ending. Throughout the game I somehow had a feeling Elika would die. I figured she would sacrifice herself, and the game would end with the Prince holding her and watching the sun rise...Man, was I wrong. The ending made sense and not only that- it was a cool ending. All throughout the game you were trying to breathe life into the land in the name of a god that the Prince didn't even believe existed. When he loses the one thing that he discovers he cares for, it makes sense he would throw everything away to bring her back.
#12 Posted by GamecubeFan (154 posts) -

Ah, here I sit watching the actual credits roll (pleasantly surprised the first time they came around) First, I liked the different take on this series. It almost gave me that "Legend of Zelda adventure" feel to it, which I had a craving for and Twilight Princess did not deliver. Though I wish the Prince and Elika's relationship was fleshed out from more than just few lines of dialogue here and there but with actual cutscenes and maybe better time progression so we could see their bond grow.

But I absolutely LOVED the ending. The best out of all the series IMO. Any ending that keeps me thinking after it's over is a good ending. Hopefully they reveal more of the Prince's history (because he is a prince right, unbeknownst to Elika?), maybe up the combat a little bit, didn't mind the safety-net feature (as I used it exhaustively!), and find that donkey already.

I'm satisfied

#13 Posted by wanemarr (1 posts) -

Guys, in movies ,the two heros allways shows their love in the end , so why not in the games.after a successefull triology ,I think ubisoft will make another triology

(or a quadrilogy,I donno...) and Ithink that the two princes will show their love in the end of it,so , be patient.

and for daftshadow's explanation of the ending, I think it's the best expanation ever.That makes it a great ending and a great game. cant wait for the other part!

#14 Posted by ShadowsRunner (742 posts) -

daftshadow

very well said man. I totally agree with you. Let's hope the new prince of persia is going to be more awesome on the combat aspect and keep up with the platforming then it's all good. I really hope they make a more challenging end game boss fight though. lol

#15 Posted by Aristowi (45 posts) -

It wasnt a bad ending, as one guy here said, any ending that keeps me thinking for a longtime even after finishing the game is a good ending. The bad thing is that i had the sensation of doing everything for nothing (it was for love, i know), at least the love storyshouldve been more developed like other guy said here, the open world stuff just made the story get stuck and never go forward, cause the order of the bosses is up to the player. I wanted to see more love andcare for each other, also more combat.

PoP is a great game, awesome graphics and good story, but the combat was poor, whats the point on having 20 hit combos when the enemies get in the edge of the platform interrupting the combo at the 5th hit? The environments are awesome but do we really need to travel everything 20 times just to find light seeds?

Dont get me wrong, i enjoyed the game a lot, I think its an excellent concept, but those little failures remind me of another great but repetitive game by ubisoft: Assassin's Creed. Those two games wouldve been PERFECT if they werent so repetitive.

#16 Posted by Mighty_turnip (105 posts) -
personally I liked it although it did feel like I had wasted my time during the game.