Please help..Xbox customer policy and terrible support

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Brewhawk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

#1 Brewhawk
Member since 2002 • 523 Posts

To whom it may concern,

I know you do not do support, but please bear with me and read this letter. I'm hoping to get a story written about a terrible Microsoft customer experience. I was hoping you could pass this on to some other Xbox executives.

I am writing to you today so I can voice my extreme displeasure with how Microsoft handled my case over the last few days. I will make this as short as possible and will go into more detail upon request. This letter is going out to multiple people and websites in order to get proper exposure.

My issue started Friday morning when I got my new Xbox One. I pre-ordered my unit from Wal-Mart and went to the midnight launch to pick it up. I also bout a separate controller and 6 games. I actually bought the separate controller a few days earlier from Best Buy because I wanted to get a hold of it and, you know, be geeky! So I used this controller to set up my console and put my Day One Edition controller aside. I didn’t plug the Day One Edition in until my brother came over for some gaming. We found out that the B button stuck very badly and would need to be replaced. I called Microsoft support and waited 2 hours before being disconnected. I then called back and asked for hardware and instead got billing. I then had to wait an additional 1 hour to have hardware pick up. I then got disconnected again. Before being disconnected I had a claim made up with the representative but did not get the number of the claim. I called back again and waited 2 hours before hanging up.

So I called back again today at around 4 pm. I was on hold for around 30 minutes and then got a human to speak with. I asked for hardware for Xbox One. I got put through to another person who could not help and got transferred again. I finally found the right person after an hour or so on the phone. I told the lady that my Day One Edition controller was having problems with the B button. She looked up my case and gave me an option to self ship. I was told that I WOULD HAVE TO PAY for my own shipping to fix a broken/defective new product. I told her this was unacceptable and wanted to speak with a supervisor. I got put through to Raul who gave me 2 options; self ship and pay the cost or send the entire day one console back to Microsoft so that the controller fixed be fixed. This was very unacceptable for a few different reasons. I don’t want to be without a console for a week, and I spent the better part of a night and a morning updating the console and all of the games I bought. I told Raul that the two options on the table were not acceptable and asked to speak with his boss. I was then put through to Lewis at a Texas call center. I spent an hour on the phone with Lewis. He, of course told me that the system only showed him the two options that I had been given earlier. I told him that this was disturbingly unacceptable. He told me to call back during the week but said that nobody would or could change what the system said.

So this is where I sit at. I have a defective Xbox One Day One Edition controller that has a B button that sticks badly. I am a 10 year member of Xbox Live and have been an Xbox supporter since the original Xbox. I have spent well over $10,000 on Xbox products over the years. I waited with much anticipation for this newest Xbox launch and am an avid 34 year old gamer. I possess 3 degrees including a master’s degree in business/marketing. I am appalled at the current policy that Microsoft has given me regarding sending back my defective controller. I can’t believe that they expect me to pay shipping for a defective product. I also can’t believe that they would send me a pre-paid label only if I sent my entire Day One Edition console back to them. This does not seem to make any sense to me, or anyone else I have spoken to, including the supervisors I spoke with. They will not resolve my problem and refuse to send me a pre-paid label for the controller. I don’t know about you, but I expect that my products work when I receive them. I also expect the company to resolve any issues with said defective product. I got put into the dreaded circle of nowhere at Microsoft support, with not a single person able to override the system or policy.

I need to take this matter to someone with some decision making authority and am asking for your help to maybe get this issue resolved and possibly get this policy changed. I feel slighted by a company that I have backed since, oddly enough, day one.

Best Regards,

Andrew Quandt Xbox Gamertag PowerInNumbers

k2theswiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2 k2theswiss
Member since 2007 • 16599 Posts

mha. I use the online chat option... Don't need to deal with trying understand some foreign accent

I got a defective chat mic~ i got on the online chat with someone on the other end Friday night told me you can ship the mic to us or call the store and ask if they replace it. I called best buy next day as it would been faster, they said they had none in stock. So i did self repair request on the website site and at the end it said a packaging slip was sent to my email. Instead, i got an address and some instructions. So i got back online chat because i refuse to pay for shipping. The guy said i don't have to, just take it to fedex with the address on it

Brewhawk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Brewhawk

@k2theswiss: I hope that works for you. That apparently is not an option for my case.

k2theswiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 k2theswiss

@Brewhawk said:

@k2theswiss: I hope that works for you. That apparently is not an option for my case.

ya, I would just take the whole system back to the store if that's the case. Honesty i would call back or something, you could had a idiot on the other end.

Brewhawk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Brewhawk

@k2theswiss: A few idiots on the other end! Problem is that Walmart has no consoles in stock and can't do an exchange..they have no idea when more will come in.

k2theswiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 k2theswiss

@Brewhawk said:

@k2theswiss: A few idiots on the other end! Problem is that Walmart has no consoles in stock and can't do an exchange..they have no idea when more will come in.

gotcha, sucks. check other retailers? and just return whole system to walmart for full refund.

BattleSpectre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#7 BattleSpectre
Member since 2009 • 7989 Posts

I wouldn't think any stores are getting more Xbox One Day One Editions in stock. So you wouldn't get the controller you were after with the day one badging. Personally I would just swallow my pride (yeah I know it's not right) and just pay the shipping so I can get it fixed.

If Microsoft has really left a bad taste in your mouth ask for a refund (like Swiss has already mentioned above) I guess.

jekyll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 145

#8  Edited By jekyll
Member since 2002 • 9140 Posts

Dude, you wasted so much time on one measly controller. Just ship it and pay.

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#9  Edited By sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

u should have used online chat imo.

Brewhawk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Brewhawk

@jekyll: I know I have, but that's the point. The point is that there is a fundamental flaw in their return process. It is the principle that matters and if you just give up like evryone else then nothing will ever get changed. I dont care if its a $10 controller or a $500 controller, principle will remain the same. Change is not easy and I do not expect this to be an easy process. But I already have one tech site that may write an article about this and others experience with Microsoft.

Evdne971

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Evdne971
Member since 2012 • 341 Posts

Don't wave your Degree crap on anyone.

That makes you a real snob.

And you shouldn't expect a Microsoft product with a previous history of mass defective launch consoles.

And they don't make the rules, they follow them. I paid for my shipping, and they pay to send it back.

If it wasn't under warranty, you'd be paying 100$ for a general repair.

Why are you so surprised that M$ is treating you this way with your first world problems.

And lastly, be more responsible with your money, I'm waiting until HDD is bigger.

Don't be a snob and don't treat these employees like they're doing it to make your life harder,.

Angry_Mushroom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12 Angry_Mushroom
Member since 2009 • 708 Posts

Use your degrees to ship the controller back. It's not our fault you wasted a day or so waiting on the phone. Keep in mind these people have to follow guidelines and rules, or they'll lose their jobs. 10 dollar controller or 500 dollar console.. it ain't worth a job.

k2theswiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 k2theswiss

@Brewhawk said:

@jekyll: I know I have, but that's the point. The point is that there is a fundamental flaw in their return process. It is the principle that matters and if you just give up like evryone else then nothing will ever get changed. I dont care if its a $10 controller or a $500 controller, principle will remain the same. Change is not easy and I do not expect this to be an easy process. But I already have one tech site that may write an article about this and others experience with Microsoft.

i just shipped my mic today. I called support back on the way up there just to make sure i don't look like an idiot to fedex. The guy said take the service request number to fedex. The first guy i went to had no idea what to do, But his partner came over told him look up the company type in my name and the number and bamn! he printed out the shipping label and gave me a receipt. didn't have to pay a cent

their email they sent me provided SHITTY instructions on it through

Brewhawk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Brewhawk

Evdne971 A degree CRAP?? That's not waving it, it is simply letting them know that I know business. And I was polite on the phone. You do not understand basic business principle, geeesh!

A quick update for everyone. I called once again today and argued my case to support and did speak with the highest member of the support team. I spent 75 more minutes on the phone. (btw I can do this because I drive a lot for my job) I guess my options are not going to change. They refuse to accommodate me. They said I either pay for shipping the defective controller back or send in the whole unit and then they would pay for the shipping. UNACCEPTABLE! So I did what any upset slighted consumer would do, I went straight to the top. Yes that's correct, I called Mr. Ballmer's office. I got his secretary, who I then asked in astonishment if I could leave a message for Steve. You bet, she said. No voice mail messages are allowed during the day so she took my note by hand. I made it simple for her and told her about the broken controller in a few words. She said she would give the message to him (yea right!) and then she transferred me to someone that could and would help me with my issue. Due to confidentiality reasons I cannot share the email I received but I spoke to the head of the Microsoft Customer Advocacy and Exception Management Team. They promptly apologized and sympathized with my story and situation. I am happy to report I now have a pre-paid slip to send back my Day One Edition controller. He also stated that they will review this policy and maybe change it because I am not the only one who is affected by this issue. This is why you don't cave in and give up folks. Principle policy and consumer fairness all took a turn for the better today. Thank you Microsoft! Just remember, a happy consumer is a walking advertisement!

driftingsilvia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 driftingsilvia
Member since 2005 • 4089 Posts

I can't tell what's worse, you actually buying 6 of the launch titles or not just use your other controller in the meantime.

Brewhawk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Brewhawk

@driftingsilvia: I know, right? I wish there was a Halo or Gears for launch. And I have been using the other controller silly!

Evdne971

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Evdne971
Member since 2012 • 341 Posts

@Brewhawk: you obviously don't know business blowing 900 bucks on a console that's making you pay more money for shipping.

But hey, your money burning is no business of mine.

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#18 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

@driftingsilvia said:

I can't tell what's worse, you actually buying 6 of the launch titles or not just use your other controller in the meantime.

1. Forza = quality
  2. Dead Rising = quality
  3. Battlefield = quality
  4. NBA 2K14 = quality
  5. FIFA = quality
  6. Need for Speed = quality
  7. Assassin's Creed = quality
  8. Lego Marvel = quality

You can also make the argument that COD and Madden are worth it.

So what's bad about only getting 6 of them?

driftingsilvia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 driftingsilvia
Member since 2005 • 4089 Posts

Getting a next generation console, but still getting games available on old systems.

pillarrocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 46

#20 pillarrocks
Member since 2005 • 3639 Posts

Just buy another controller or pay for the shipping. Doubt MS is gonna change the rules about it.