Playing original Xbox games on Xbox 360?

Avatar image for CapnXtraObvious
CapnXtraObvious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#1 CapnXtraObvious
Member since 2012 • 506 Posts

My levels of nostalgia are always high and I'd like to get some of those old Xbox games that can be played on 360. Now...I heard I can't install original Xbox games on my hard drive(makes me wonder why the hard drive is required in the 1st place to be able to play original Xbox games, as was claimed). But I don't like the noise the console makes when playing uninstalled games. Also makes me worried it puts more pressure on the console than when playing installed games. Anyway, my question is, does the disc spin like crazy and make noise when playing original Xbox games too?

Avatar image for deactivated-57d8401f17c55
deactivated-57d8401f17c55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By deactivated-57d8401f17c55
Member since 2012 • 7221 Posts

Yeah. I mean, the disc is still spinning, not sure if it's just as fast as when you play 360 games or not but I would say probably. Haven't really played many Xbox games on 360.

If you're worried about discs scratching, you might want to open your disc drive and put foam/rubber pieces around the lens, there are tutorials for this on the internet, just google it.

However i would just play the games on an OG xbox anyways, the 360's emulation is spotty at best. Last time I tried an xbox game on 360 (live and reloaded) there were sound and visual hiccups abound, plus frame rate issues.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#3  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44542 Posts

For now focus on the games you can digital download.

CapnXtraObvious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 CapnXtraObvious

Well, I'll buy 1 original Xbox game to try out. If things go well, I'll get more. I would buy an Xbox, but I would prefer it brand new and that's unfortunately no longer an option. And the original Xbox games that are available digitally didn't really interest me.

Avatar image for deactivated-57d8401f17c55
deactivated-57d8401f17c55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#5 deactivated-57d8401f17c55
Member since 2012 • 7221 Posts

@CapnXtraObvious said:

Well, I'll buy 1 original Xbox game to try out. If things go well, I'll get more. I would buy an Xbox, but I would prefer it brand new and that's unfortunately no longer an option. And the original Xbox games that are available digitally didn't really interest me.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Xbox_games_compatible_with_Xbox_360

Here's a list of games and it lists known issues when played on 360.

CapnXtraObvious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 CapnXtraObvious

@Chozofication said:

@CapnXtraObvious said:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Xbox_games_compatible_with_Xbox_360

Here's a list of games and it lists known issues when played on 360.

Ahhhhhhh, I was interested in Breakdown as well and it didn't sound so bad until, "Save games often corrupt". I literally cringed painfully. Oh well, at least the BloodRayne 2 and Buffy problems don't sound too bad, and I was also interested in Alias, which doesn't have any problems listed at all! Thank you for the list. I've been looking at this one:

http://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-on-other-devices/original-console/play-original-games

But the Wikipedia one has information, so I'll know what to really avoid(I already read that some of the games are completely unplayable...wonder why they bothered to make them compatible).

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7  Edited By SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

@CapnXtraObvious: Also, not all original old Xbox 1* games run in the 360, and many that do run are glitchy. Just a friendly heads up. I still own my old Xbox 1s for playing Xbox 1 games.

*Not to be confused with Xbone, Xbox One.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#8 DaVillain  Moderator  Online
Member since 2014 • 56034 Posts

From my experience, the disc makes noise cause I'm playing original Xbox games on my 360 slim but that's normal from the way I remember on the original Xbox console when doing so. I play KOTOR, DOOM 3, and Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory and they work okay. The only game I found out I can't play is Dino Crisis 3 on the original Xbox and for some reasons, it won't let me play the game on my 360 and I still don't know why.

CapnXtraObvious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 CapnXtraObvious

@SolidTy said:

@CapnXtraObvious: Also, not all original old Xbox 1* games run in the 360, and many that do run are glitchy. Just a friendly heads up. I still own my old Xbox 1s for playing Xbox 1 games.

*Not to be confused with Xbone, Xbox One.

I knowww! I got a link to the list of which ones work and which ones work well from another user here. Before that, I was looking at the one on the official website.

CapnXtraObvious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 CapnXtraObvious

@davillain- said:

From my experience, the disc makes noise cause I'm playing original Xbox games on my 360 slim but that's normal from the way I remember on the original Xbox console when doing so. I play KOTOR, DOOM 3, and Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory and they work okay. The only game I found out I can't play is Dino Crisis 3 on the original Xbox and for some reasons, it won't let me play the game on my 360 and I still don't know why.

There's no backwards compatibility for Dino Crisis 3.

raugutcon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By raugutcon
Member since 2014 • 5576 Posts

I didn´t purchase an original Xbox back then I got a PS2, when I purchased my X360 a friend lend me several Xbox games ( mostly exclusives ) that I didn´t play back then, some didn´t run on the X360, most of them did bu the day I connected my X360 to the net after an update those Xbox games no longer worked in the X360, that is my experience, so:

If you want to play Xbox games get a pre owned Xbox to play them. I got a console and 35 games in excellent condition for 90 US dollars on e-bay.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 DaVillain  Moderator  Online
Member since 2014 • 56034 Posts

@CapnXtraObvious said:

There's no backwards compatibility for Dino Crisis 3.

I had no idea it never made it to the BC Xbox list and that's why it can't play Dino Crisis 3. I had to look that up.

CapnXtraObvious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By CapnXtraObvious

@davillain-: Yeah, here's a list of original Xbox games that do work on the 360.

http://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-on-other-devices/original-console/play-original-games