Ori & The Blind forest released on Xbox One!(spoilers)

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Alucard_Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Alucard_Prime
Member since 2008 • 10107 Posts

This has been known for a while now, but when I saw it the marketplace just now I got a jolt of euphoria and decided to make this thread :)

Been waiting for this game ever since I saw it, with its gorgeous hand-drawn style graphics, it apparently draws inspiration from games such as Metroid and Rayman(yeah!). First release of independant developer Moon Studios(founded by a former Blizzard Artist) after 4 years in development.

Day 1 purchase if I ever saw one, I hope it does not disappoint but I doubt it will! Discuss if you are getting it too! I think it is only releasing on Xbox One and PC first, then later on 360(undetermined date). Combining this game with the new screensnhot feature should make for some interesting backgrounds :)

Avatar image for deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
deactivated-5e90a3763ea91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 13

#2 deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
Member since 2008 • 9437 Posts

I'm looking forward to it, too. Hope Ori turns out well, not like The Escapists which kinda sucks lol.

I've been looking forward to Ori since last E3 or so. But I'm also really anxious for Cuphead to get a release date.

garfield360uk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#3 garfield360uk
Member since 2006 • 20381 Posts

I keep hearing this game's name, but have very little knowledge as to what this title actually is.

So what sort of game are we looking at here and what makes it unique/special to stand out from the crowd?

Alucard_Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Alucard_Prime

Haven't heard of Cuphead, will check it out. I just started playing White Night, what a cool little game, nice graphic style. Yeah I really hope Ori doesn't disappoint. I'm trying to keep my expectations down but it's hard......I also hope the soundtrack is great, that's a must in those types of games.

Alucard_Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Alucard_Prime

@Garfield360UK: To be honest I know little about the story, except that you are looking for your kidnapped mother in this big forest. I want to know and see as little as possible so I get a fresh and new experience when I play the game, and to avoid spoilers.

The allure for me is that I love these 2D platforming Metrovania-style games, the good ones are few and far between. The last one that got me this excited I believe was Shadow Complex on the 360. Ori seems to be hitting all the right notes from the videos I saw, and I think the great looking hand-drawn art style is what is making the game stand out. We're going to find out soon if it's any good, I cannot wait.

garfield360uk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 garfield360uk

@Alucard_Prime:

So this is a Metroidvania style game and not a 2D platform game in the sense of a Mario/Rayman type deal?

Alucard_Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Alucard_Prime

@Garfield360UK: Indeed, seems to be a mix.....here is a direct quote from the official website:

"Over the past four years, Moon Studios has been feverishly working on Ori and the Blind Forest.

At Moon Studios, we all grew up playing games like Super Metroid, Zelda: A Link to the Past, etc. and with Ori, we wanted to recapture the magic of these games.

Ori and the Blind Forest is a bit of a genremix – It’s a ‘Metroidvania‘, but with a stronger platforming focus and light RPG elements, all set within an atmospheric world.

Naturally we tried to push 2D gaming forward on all fronts: We tried to make every single screen in Ori look like a painting come to life while making sure that the controls are still pixel-perfect.

We’ve been taking lessons from games like Super Metroid and A Link to the Past in order to really bring back this sensation you had when you played the games Nintendo was building in the early 90s. The level of polish and the execution of design in these games – we feel – was extraordinary. We felt strongly that children and adults today should get that same feeling again. Remember the first time you played Zelda or Metroid when you were a child? We hope that years from now people will also remember the first time they got to play Ori and the Blind Forest.

We also push the story angle really hard. We explored some new ways of telling stories within 2D games and we’ve been heavily influenced by Ghibli/Miyazaki as well as by great animated films of the 90s like The Lion King or The Iron Giant."

They just said everything I could possibly want to hear about this type of game, hopefully it all turns out good :)

garfield360uk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By garfield360uk

@Alucard_Prime:

This sounds really interesting, I will have to have a see what the reviews/gameplay videos are like. Sounds promising from what you have just said, if they can deliver on the potential they are discussing it could be a great experience.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#9 SecretPolice  Online
Member since 2007 • 44054 Posts

@Alucard_Prime:

Wow, sounds very promising, great info, thanks. :)

marcheegsr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 marcheegsr
Member since 2004 • 3115 Posts

Will be picking this up tomorrow.

hahamanin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 hahamanin
Member since 2007 • 674 Posts

what will be the price??

Alucard_Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Alucard_Prime

@hahamanin:

20$

Also, MS exec. Aaron Greenberg tweeted the game will go on sale tomorrow at 5pm PDT/8pm EDT, cannot wait!

hahamanin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 hahamanin
Member since 2007 • 674 Posts

@Alucard_Prime said:

@hahamanin:

20$

Also, MS exec. Aaron Greenberg tweeted the game will go on sale tomorrow at 5pm PDT/8pm EDT, cannot wait!

Great price cant wait to pick it up tommorow

Alucard_Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Alucard_Prime

9/10 Gamespot review, day 1 regardless but this doesn't hurt

gago-gago

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#15 gago-gago
Member since 2009 • 12138 Posts

I admit I forgot about this game but I'm glad it surpassed my expectations. The game looks, plays, and sounds amazing. Looking forward to get my hands on it.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#16 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

They should give a discount to those with Gold.

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#17 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

@marcheegsr said:

hey up bro are you still playing Sunset Overdrive?

garfield360uk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By garfield360uk

So, as mentioned, the Gamespot review is up:

Link

Sounds promising, I may give this a go at some point. It is good to see some great games coming to the system, hopefully we will get to see other new IP's come to the system as it freshens things up (I like Forza, Halo, etc, but having new ones adds to the variety). I am curious to hear how all of you get on with this game.

Edit:

Maybe those of you who have got the game may like to take a look at this:

Link

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44557 Posts

I want to play this, but damn there's so much taunting me right now. Dragon Age Inquisition is on sale for $35 on Xbox One digitally, Ryse: Legendary Edition is $30, Zombie Army Trilogy (which it seems nobody is talking about) just released and already it's $40 (released at $50 just 4 days ago). Good deals, but I got so much to deal with in my backlog at the moment that getting anything new, no matter how tempting, will just be waiting until a later date to play... but it's a later date I might have to pay more to play. What to do, what do to...

And now this. Now, given it's not on sale as it just released (not that I'm waiting for it to, $20 seems completely reasonable), there's no rush to get this for myself. I just got White Night and need to play it, I'm in the middle of an Evil Within playthrough (I needed to forget how much I'm not liking RE Revelations 2 episodes thus far). This will still be $20 when I open up some free time to play it, but I really do want to play it. I saw the System Wars post review and video, this game wasn't even on my radar but now I totally want to play it. And I will, hopefully soon.

Alucard_Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Alucard_Prime

Game just appeared in the Xbox One store , downloading it now, at long last

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17657 Posts

This game is nuts. I'm in love.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

Downloaded it yesterday, but still haven't had the chance to play it yet. :(

Alucard_Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Alucard_Prime

@Bigboi500 said:

Downloaded it yesterday, but still haven't had the chance to play it yet. :(

When you do play it, try to do so when there are not many real-world distractions.... it's a mesmerizing game.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
deactivated-5e90a3763ea91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#24 deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
Member since 2008 • 9437 Posts

I like it quite a lot already. Just got double-jump, and it's nice what a difference it makes from a gameplay perspective. I think the team did a nice job of slowly introducing these new abilities and building the areas so that you will make use of them. As a metroidvania type of game, I think Ori has earned its place alongside games such as those, and others like Shadow Complex.

At first I wasn't sure what I thought of the tree orb doing attacks for you, and kind of homing in on stuff, but I think it seems kind of fair since the attacks aren't terribly overpowered. I can't think of too many platforming games with a thing that follows you performing attacks off the top of my head, I honestly don't mind it too much.

The story is kind of sad right off the bat, but the whole 'hope' thing has me optimistic. The artwork and object lighting in stages has been fantastic throughout.

It's turning out to be a decent game. I wonder how much mileage I'll get out of it for sure.

TrevorZyla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 TrevorZyla
Member since 2015 • 76 Posts

I watched the Giant Bomb Quick Look and the game looked beautiful, gonna have to pick it up on next pay day

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By MirkoS77

Anyone help me?

I'm trying to get to the Misty Woods. I've just finished the escape from the flooding tree and have explored all the areas I can, but the objective is in the upper left of the map with no connection. All that's in that area is hot lava with a door I can't yet enter. Where do I have to go?

marcheegsr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 marcheegsr
Member since 2004 • 3115 Posts

@sukraj said:

@marcheegsr said:

Yes sir. I just have too many games to play right now

kuu2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#28 kuu2
Member since 2005 • 12061 Posts

Put down what you are doing and go support one of the best games of this generation.

Great gameplay, amazing graphics, music that really sets the mood, characters you care about, and an atmosphere that pulls you in.

Please reward Moon studios that put out a superior product.

It's $20 and more than worth what they are asking

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 MirkoS77

@kuu2 said:

Put down what you are doing and go support one of the best games of this generation.

Great gameplay, amazing graphics, music that really sets the mood, characters you care about, and an atmosphere that pulls you in.

Please reward Moon studios that put out a superior product.

It's $20 and more than worth what they are asking

Yea no joke. This game's incredible.

Mid/late game spoilers: I'm in the Misty Forest, and have yet to light the torch to get rid of the haze and reveal the map. There's this weird distortion effect going on. Is this because of some fumes that's making my guy high, or is this a bug?

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#30 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

@marcheegsr said:

@sukraj said:

@marcheegsr said:

Yes sir. I just have too many games to play right now

I'm also playing a shit ton of games too.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44557 Posts

I liked it, only problem for me was once you beat it you can't go back to look for hidden stuff, but only a minor gripe. Overall a lot of fun.