Open World Shooters

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by pl4yer_f0und (964 posts) -

I've been wondering, are there any good open world shooters (FPS's that let you roam around the world), or even any good story-driven shoooters. It seems like all the shooters these daysare multiplayer-focused. I got modern warfare 2 and loved it, but the campaign was way too short, so I went back to playing Far cry 2. But I just want to know if there are any other open world/story based shooters i can get.

#2 Posted by bulletsword (13994 posts) -
There's only two games that I could recommend for this right now. Borderlands Despite being open-world, there is almost no story content. Sure, there's occasional narratives, a buttload of quest descriptions, and the like, but absolutely do not expect anything from the story. As for the game itself, it's pretty fun and co-op is a plus, but the RPG aspects are pretty shallow and the world is more linear than it is. Most of the quests are going from point A to point B with rather simplistic objectives (kill these people, collect these items, etc). There really isn't much else to do other than that and a game like Far Cry 2 probably has more interesting scenarios (i haven't beaten FC2 yet). Borderland's weapon-generation system makes things fresh, though, and the loot system is addicting (think Diablo). The shooting is pretty fun, but if it all had to boil down to it, one thing's for sure: it's a hell of a lot longer than MW2's campaign. Fallout 3 Even though I'm putting this on here, I can't really call Fallout 3 a real FPS. It's more like an RPG that has first-person shooting. The game doesn't "feel" like a FPS (even Goldeneye on the N64 and the old Doom games are more FPS-ish), but i'd be wrong if I said there wasn't decent first person shooting. There's a lot more to Fallout 3 than just the shooting. There's a buttload of quests, items, story content, and everything you'd want in an RPG. The biggest problem with this game for me personall, would be that it feels way, WAY too similar to Oblivion. If it weren't for the fact that Bethesda made this game, the very idea of Fallout 3's gameplay system would start lawsuits up the ass :P. All I really have to say about Fallout 3 is that you should go in expecting a great RPG, not a great first-person shooter. It's an amazing game that, however, does have some decent shooter mechanics. That's how I view it anyways, so anyone that disagrees can go ahead and rip my ass apart :P Hope that helps. ;)
#3 Posted by pl4yer_f0und (964 posts) -

Alright thx, I definately want to try out Fallout 3, never been really motivated to purchase it, but it looks like a great singleplayer game to supplement all the multiplayer games coming. I'm a bit iffy on Boderlands though, I thinkI'll rent it first. And thx for not saying quItt whIninG n00b mw2 iS teH l33test g4m3 ev3R creAteD, lol

#4 Posted by vashkey (33666 posts) -
[QUOTE="bulletsword"] Borderlands Despite being open-world, there is almost no story content. Sure, there's occasional narratives, a buttload of quest descriptions, and the like, but absolutely do not expect anything from the story. As for the game itself, it's pretty fun and co-op is a plus, but the RPG aspects are pretty shallow and the world is more linear than it is.

Could you really call Borderlands open world? Specific areas have enemies at specific levels and I'm pretty sure(but not entirely since I'm not too far) thatyou don't gain access to some areas until after you've completed a certain number of quests. You could try and travel around the world freely and take on certain quests later than normal but unless your playing with players at higher levels you're gonna get raped. And even then you aren't allowed to play with players that have more than a ten level gap between you.
#5 Posted by bessy67 (1734 posts) -

I haven't played it, but from reviews it seems like ODST is somewhat open world (at leastmore so than other fps) and the story is also supposedly pretty good.

#6 Posted by stupid4 (3695 posts) -

Borderlands and Fallout 3 are your best bet. They are both great.

#7 Posted by lbhocky19 (1104 posts) -

i just got fallout goty and borderlands excited to play them

and you cant call odst open world. the open part is just between levels and the "world" is the same all over and not interesting at all, the levels are fun though but same as other halo missions

#8 Posted by Sepewrath (28669 posts) -
I would definitely recommend Fallout 3, like the above poster said its not a FPS, far from it, you can play the entire game without using a gun if you want. However it is a huge game with a ton to do, lots of NPC's with thier own stories and a ton to find and it has very satisfying shooting mechanics. For what your asking TC Fallout 3 is your best bet.
#9 Posted by pl4yer_f0und (964 posts) -

Thx for the info, I've already played Odst and it is way too short and a bit too linear, but it still was a good game in my opinion. But Fallout 3 is looking better and better.