oblivion iv soul trap?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

nate_dog429

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 nate_dog429
Member since 2005 • 25 Posts
I know you can soul trap to your soul gems but what does it mean when it says something like soul trap for 20 seconds? That part confuses me.
Avatar image for gintheplacetobe
gintheplacetobe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 gintheplacetobe
Member since 2003 • 4512 Posts

Say that you cast "Soultrap for 20 sec" on an enemy. You would have to kill the enemy within 20 sec of casting the spell in order to actually trap the soul. You will see a purple-ish tint on the enemy when the soul trap spell is active on them still.

andyb27newc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 andyb27newc
Member since 2006 • 254 Posts
Yeah, i need some advice on soul trapping aswell. Ive just got a soul trap staff and need to recharge my magic weapons (i dont wanna keep paying for them to be recharged) so how exactly do you go about doing it. I haven't tried the staff yet cos i dont wanna mess it up - i know u need to use the staff just before u kill a creature but what types of creatures are best??? Can someone give me all the info on soul trapping please???
gintheplacetobe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 gintheplacetobe

Here, bookmark this site...

http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Oblivion:Oblivion

All should find the answer to all of you Oblivion questions here.

andyb27newc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 andyb27newc
Ive tried looking on that site but the soul trap info is a bit hard to understand - could anyone who's done it simplify it for me - yes i know im thickie before you start...
gintheplacetobe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 gintheplacetobe

OK...

So, if you have any enchanted weapons, you will need to use a soul gem that has a soul inside it in order to recharge the weapon. The size of the soul (with a grand soul being the biggest) will effect how much of a charge you actually get. You can either buy/find soul gems that already have a soul in them, or you can fill an empty soul gem and use the soul trap spell in order to put a soul inside the gem.

To do this you will need the soul trap spell, an empty soul gem, and an enemy. Now you also need to realize that different enemies will give a different size soul and you will need a big enough soul gem for the task (If you soul trap an enemy that has a grand soul, you will need an empty grand soul gem... it wouldn't fit in a common soul gem). Get the enemy down to the point that they are almost dead, then cast soul trap on them. The reason for getting them to the point where they are almost dead is that if your spell is "Soul Trap for 5 seconds," you will have to kill the enemy within 5 seconds of casting the spell on them in order for it to work. So if you do this, and have an appropriate sized empty soul gem, you just succeeded in trapping a soul. You can now go into your inventory and use that recently filled gem to recharge any enchanted weapons.

Also note, you will not be able to soul trap any bandit, marauders, or any humans, elves, orcs, etc for that matter unless you have a black soul gem, which is incredibly rare. Otherwise you can only soul trap creatures.

andyb27newc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 andyb27newc
Excellent info - thanks - i have the soul trap mages staff - i havent checked yet how long i have to soul trap a creature - before i go play again later tonight do you know how long i have to soul trap using the staff??? cheers
Autolycus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#8 Autolycus
Member since 2002 • 2291 Posts

Diggining this one out of the archive's for sure.

I am stealth character(thief) and I am trying to use as little magic as possible in the game.  However I am level 10 and my damage is PATHETIC.  I usually have to bow and arrow my way to victory. I've been upping my alchemy skill, but my question is, how do I add a poison to a dagger for instance?  Is that all done through enchanting?  If so, then how can up my enchanting skills without focusing on magic?  I don't want ot have to purchase my enchanted items as I would rather enchant my own and I dont want to steal my soul gems or purchase them.  So how do I capture a soul WITHOUT using magic?  And if you saying i need to purchase a blade with the enchantment on it, thats lame.  There has to be a way for me use my alchemy skill to create a wicked potion that I can use on my blade WITHOUT USING MAGIC or purchasing the item alreayd.

Thank you!:)

Colinschindler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#9 Colinschindler
Member since 2004 • 190 Posts
Just use the poison and it will ask if you want to coat your weapon with it for the next attack.
Autolycus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#10 Autolycus
Member since 2002 • 2291 Posts

Just use the poison and it will ask if you want to coat your weapon with it for the next attack.Colinschindler

So to add those type of effects, like drain health 100, do I have to enchant?  Since I aonly level 10 I can ruin my RPG experience and start using magic to echant things.  BTW, the game is super hard without magic....

grayoldwolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 grayoldwolf
Member since 2005 • 2274 Posts

You should really have started a new topic for this instead of digging up a really old one that isn't even directly related to your topic. However, I have an answer for you. I think you are confusing two different things. You can poison weapons and you can enchant them to have negative effects when they strike your enemy. If you're using poison (which you seem to be because you're talking about alchemy) then just make a potion with only negative effects (like damage health, damage magicka etc.) This will automatically be a poison and will be green instead of pink in your inventory. If it has any positive benefits, it will be considered a potion and will be useless to you, it will stay pink in the inventory. To use a (green) poison, all you need to do is select it in your inventory and use it like you would a potion. You will get a pop-up that asks you if you want to apply the poison to your current weapon (or current arrows considering you are an archer). Select yes, then hit your enemy with that weapon and the poison will be automatically given to them. Note that if you use a poison on an arrow and you miss, you lose it. Even if you pick up the arrow, your poison will be gone. You don't have to enchant weapons to use poisons on them, but you can use poisons on enchanted weapons (such as adding a "weakness to fire" poison to a weapon that does fire damage = big damage combo).

Enchanting is a whole different ballgame, and you can't do it unless you're high in the mage's guild. The Oblivion Wiki has a whole section on that which is worth a read.

capthavic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#12 capthavic
Member since 2003 • 6478 Posts
just a quick note in case nobody mentioned it you can soul trap creatures you summon.