No Xbone demos at stores?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by UevenLiftBro (70 posts) -

I went to BB, Gamestop, and Walmart and none had xbone demos, they all had PS4 demos though with either knack and Fifa. The Xbone demos were there but no controllers, I talked to a guy at BB and he stated that when the MS marketing guys come on the weekend, they hook up their own controllers and people get to play... WTF!

Where can I go to actually play on the Xbone and get a feel for it?

#2 Posted by gagit811 (3558 posts) -

I think with kinect plus the snap OS there's too much of a learning curve with the Xbox one. Most people would probably have a bad experience with a demo unit without proper guidance. So it's better to not have a demo unit then to half bake a demo with games only and no kinect experience. Just my thoughts on why they haven't put out working kiosk you can actually play.

#3 Posted by Bruin1986 (1037 posts) -

Yeah, this is frustrating to me as well. No store in my region has a Xbox One kiosk with actual controllers...

I don't want to watch a video of some games...I can do that online from home.

#4 Posted by BattleSpectre (4710 posts) -

@gagit811 said:

I think with kinect plus the snap OS there's too much of a learning curve with the Xbox one. Most people would probably have a bad experience with a demo unit without proper guidance. So it's better to not have a demo unit then to half bake a demo with games only and no kinect experience. Just my thoughts on why they haven't put out working kiosk you can actually play.

I think that sounds reasonable. Which would explain why the Microsoft Marketing team only hook-up controllers when on site.

#5 Edited by k2theswiss (16215 posts) -

one was set up at walmart today. Haven't been to a GS for atleast a week and half now

#6 Posted by sukraj (20586 posts) -

go to ur local game store in the UK just about every game store has a Xbox kiosk.

#7 Posted by Dtree11 (29 posts) -

@BattleSpectre: There is huge learning curve with this system. I finally figured out how to select something with hand gestures last night!! lol. But, much like buying a car. No one will buy a Xbox with out a test drive. I was lucky enough to have a kiosk that always has couple working xbox s.

#8 Posted by gagit811 (3558 posts) -

Today my walmart had a controller connected to their xbox kiosk, I tried it and the controller did nothing. They just had a video looping. Before they didn't have the controller but now they do, they may as well not have one.

#9 Edited by BattleSpectre (4710 posts) -

@dtree11 said:

@BattleSpectre: There is huge learning curve with this system. I finally figured out how to select something with hand gestures last night!! lol. But, much like buying a car. No one will buy a Xbox with out a test drive. I was lucky enough to have a kiosk that always has couple working xbox s.

I bought my Xbox One with no "test drive". Only thing I saw related to the console were gameplay videos and unboxing ones.

#10 Posted by TwistedShade (2981 posts) -

@gagit811 said:

This was my reasoning as to why you can't play the X1 Demo Units. Kinect being a pretty big part of the system, I don't think they could possibly execute it the way they would want to in a retail setting (Too much noise, interference etc).

#11 Posted by cejay0813 (578 posts) -

A demo is possible I just don't think MS plans to do it. You don't need the kinect in order to show off a couple of games such as dead rising and ryse, but here in lies the problem; Sony is able to show demos on the PS4 because it actually has some launch titles that you can pick up and play easily that's for all age ranges. The only demo that MS could show off that wasn't violent would be Forza or maybe Madden. With that being said, there's no reason why they can't set a demo version of the OS which only allows you to play these games and watch videos of the others

#12 Edited by a55a55inx (4077 posts) -

I've only seen demos inside private kiosks or at windows stores. I'm not sure, but I assume that they don't want to just demonstrate games, but they also want to demonstrate the new kinect. Perhaps they want someone guiding people through the new features of the Xbox One instead of just letting them drive a lap around the new forza?