no HDMI port wtf!!???

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by BoobCow (162 posts) -

ok so i bought a hdmi cable to hook up my xbox 360 to my tv only there isnt anyHDMI port on the 360 which makes no sense. I see elite ones do but they come with a hdmi cable so why do they sell them seperately for non elite xbox 360's. am i missing something here?

#2 Posted by KrYp7iC_X (154 posts) -
Well, the Halo 3 Xbox 360 has a port but doesn't come with a cable, I guess that's why there sold seperately, for that box and the elite.
#3 Posted by tmgwarrior72 (1856 posts) -
only the newer odels have them as far as i know
#4 Posted by bessy67 (1734 posts) -
I'm pretty sure that new premiums come with an HDMI port also, and maybe even the arcade ones.
#5 Posted by FUBAR24 (12185 posts) -
the new 360 pros have a HDMi ports. you just have to look at the box to see if it has the HDMi port
#6 Posted by lIIiya (157 posts) -
arcade, halo3 edition and elite all have HDMI ports, some come with HDMI cables. maybe, just maybe that the new original xbox 360 would have HDMI port (check production date)
#7 Posted by MKoWnZ (42 posts) -
Yeah if you look at the box it will tell you if the 360 has a HDMI port in it or not... if it dosen't then you got sold the old 360... and oh none of the 360's come with the HDMI cable... cuz u know how much of a stretch that'd be!
#8 Posted by Thorpe89 (19548 posts) -
I think Xbox 360s manufactured at the later end of 2007 come with HDMI ports.
#9 Posted by Fractur3d (116 posts) -
I have a launch 360, no hdmi port ftl =(
#10 Posted by MKoWnZ (42 posts) -
Yeah the 360's that came out around october and on have HDMI in them... unless the stores tried unloading the older machines on customers first before selling the new ones...
#11 Posted by Tree06 (3552 posts) -

I'm pretty sure that new premiums come with an HDMI port also, and maybe even the arcade ones.bessy67

Yeah the arcade system comes with an HDMI port. No HDMI cable though.

#12 Posted by Bgrngod (5733 posts) -
Forget about HDMI and just go VGA or Component. Depending on your TV HDMI may be a downgrade in quality anyways.
#13 Posted by alsha3er78 (812 posts) -
S O L
#14 Posted by MKoWnZ (42 posts) -
Hahaha Bgrngod is that your setup? If so it's crazy
#15 Posted by socem007 (242 posts) -
do all the elites have them?
#16 Posted by Bgrngod (5733 posts) -

Hahaha Bgrngod is that your setup? If so it's crazyMKoWnZ

Yes it is. I need to update the sig though. That picture is about 6 months ago if I remember correctly.

#17 Posted by TheRealGL (127 posts) -
so you actually bough it before you noticed!!??? duuude...?
#18 Posted by djrobst (2404 posts) -

yeah im sure its the pro and arcade that have the hdmi port, see they changed the name recently rebranding core to arcade and including memory card too, and premium to pro. they definetally have the hdmi port so do the elite.

not sure if the last of the core and premium have the hdmi ports or if they change in the name was do to do with the slight design change.

if it was me and i balsed up and ya aint really used the console etc then take it back to the shop and ask for a swap to a new system with hdmi. sure its staturay rights that if swapped within 30 days (in uk anyways) ya entitled to full refund or at least credit note refund as long as u aint used the kit to the level where it cant be classed as new anymore.

as for vga vs hdmi or component. depends on ur tv, every hd tv is different and which it displays best at what res depends on the tv. ya can get advice off people but best to get advice based with people using the same tv i reckon. as i know some peoples dont do vga as good as the other options but know people whos vga look better

#19 Posted by Thorpe89 (19548 posts) -
do all the elites have them?socem007
Yes - all. That was one of the main differences back then when only Elites had HDMI.
#21 Posted by FUBAR24 (12185 posts) -

Xbox 360 does NOT have HDMI capabilities, get over it. If you want true high definition and hdmi capabilities buy a playstation 3.HollisterGuy707

you really dont know much of anything do you

#22 Posted by teebeenz (4362 posts) -
you really dont know much of anything do youFUBAR24
Actually hes right, the whole point of HDMI is lost on the 360.
#23 Posted by FUBAR24 (12185 posts) -
[QUOTE="FUBAR24"]you really dont know much of anything do youteebeenz
Actually hes right, the whole point of HDMI is lost on the 360.

thats not true at all. With an HDMi 360 and a 1080P TV there is a huge difference than using componets seeing as most TVs do not allow you to get a 1080P signal through compnents.
#24 Posted by ParadiseAwaits (1410 posts) -

All new Xbox 360 consoles come with a HDMI port. Its a standard.

#25 Posted by ssc0n (3110 posts) -
I never even knew they were puttin HDMI ports in pros, so when I got one in September it came to me as a suprise. Even better my friend gave me one of his extra HDMI cables.
#26 Posted by teebeenz (4362 posts) -
thats not true at all. With an HDMi 360 and a 1080P TV there is a huge difference than using componets seeing as most TVs do not allow you to get a 1080P signal through compnents.FUBAR24
There is like 3 things which use 1080 on a 360, and since it doesn't use a pure digital image the need for a pure digital medium to transmit is non-existent.
#27 Posted by fathertroy (1309 posts) -
my 360 is the old one.... no hdmi port
#28 Posted by PlasmaBeam44 (9052 posts) -
My Elite came with an HDMI port and cable.
#29 Posted by lagerfeldt1974 (68 posts) -

Forget about HDMI and just go VGA or Component. Depending on your TV HDMI may be a downgrade in quality anyways.Bgrngod

I think my Panasonic plasma refers to it as XGA. It provides an extremely clear picture, much better than my HD component cable.

HDMI contains a DVI signal, so it's likely to be an upgrade compared to component.

#30 Posted by FUBAR24 (12185 posts) -

[QUOTE="FUBAR24"]thats not true at all. With an HDMi 360 and a 1080P TV there is a huge difference than using componets seeing as most TVs do not allow you to get a 1080P signal through compnents.teebeenz
There is like 3 things which use 1080 on a 360, and since it doesn't use a pure digital image the need for a pure digital medium to transmit is non-existent.

HD-DVDs use 1080P and there are an increasing number of games with support for 1080P

#31 Posted by Flavour666 (345 posts) -
[QUOTE="FUBAR24"]thats not true at all. With an HDMi 360 and a 1080P TV there is a huge difference than using componets seeing as most TVs do not allow you to get a 1080P signal through compnents.teebeenz

You should know by now that what you say about 360 & HDMI is utter BS. HDMI can only transmit *digital* signals. In order for the 360 to somehow convert it's analog signal into a digital one so it can run over HDMI would be MUCH more expensive than simply routing the output of the GPU to the HDMI-port. You would also note slight instabilities which you clearly have not. Perhaps you haven't ever seen a 360 with an HDMI port and the picture it produces? Please stop spreading misinformation.
#32 Posted by teebeenz (4362 posts) -
[QUOTE="Flavour666"] You should know by now that what you say about 360 & HDMI is utter BS. HDMI can only transmit *digital* signals. In order for the 360 to somehow convert it's analog signal into a digital one so it can run over HDMI would be MUCH more expensive than simply routing the output of the GPU to the HDMI-port. You would also note slight instabilities which you clearly have not.

The 360 has always had multiple stages from frame buffer to display, something which MS has confirmed many times. The 360 wasnt designed as a highend display device but as a cheap money maker, the first part of which has become obvious to many.
#33 Posted by Flavour666 (345 posts) -
Converting from analog to digital (digital is a HDMI requirement, not an option) is MORE EXPENSIVE than taking the signal directly from the GPU and encode it for HDMI. What do you think MS does? Take the cheaper, technical more sensible route or go the more expensive, technically inferior route? From a cost-factor your comment doesn't make any sense. You only aim to bash the 360 at every chance you get.
#34 Posted by Vasichko (2565 posts) -

I just got a 360.

Manufacture date is 11-28-2007 and it has a HDMI.

#35 Posted by kieran88 (2273 posts) -

*tries hard not to laugh* unlucky - should of checked your 360 first though :P

#36 Posted by bigbon_basic (1573 posts) -

dammmmm..yo... YOur set up is mind numbing!!!! You have the hottest setup I've ever seen!!!!

*Falls on floor in a puddle of his own piss*

#37 Posted by bigbon_basic (1573 posts) -

Forget about HDMI and just go VGA or Component. Depending on your TV HDMI may be a downgrade in quality anyways.Bgrngod

dammmmm..yo... YOur set up is mind numbing!!!! You have the hottest setup I've ever seen!!!!

*Falls on floor in a puddle of his own piss*

#38 Posted by Omatron (120 posts) -
i know that a company came out with an hdmi cable for people who don't own an hdmi model so if you decide to keep it you can always go that route
#39 Posted by Bgrngod (5733 posts) -

[QUOTE="Bgrngod"]Forget about HDMI and just go VGA or Component. Depending on your TV HDMI may be a downgrade in quality anyways.lagerfeldt1974

I think my Panasonic plasma refers to it as XGA. It provides an extremely clear picture, much better than my HD component cable.

HDMI contains a DVI signal, so it's likely to be an upgrade compared to component.

A DVI signal is just a digital signal. HDMI basically takes the exact signal thatDVI has and puts digital sound on it as well. It is a myth that a pure digital signal is going to be superior to analog from component all the time. Sometimes it is, and just as often it isn't. Regardless of what the manufacturers would have you believe, digital signals still go through encoding and conversion, similar to analog signals (component) they also suffer some quality loss. Infact, component often results in an image that went through less conversion then some digital signals do.

#40 Posted by GodLovesDead (9752 posts) -
You'll have to get the VGA cable instead if you want the quality of HDMI. It looks pretty much the same.