My Xbox 360 purchase dilemma

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by ShadowsDemon (10164 posts) -

Okay, so as some of you may know, I've been planning to get a 360 for a while now, and preferbably a cheaper one.

Now I have a few options:

I can get a brand new 360 with a 250 GB HDD with 4 games for $300, or something similar that's brand new.

I can get a pre-owned 120 GB 360 for $138 (it's been freakin' hard to find)

I can get a pre-owned $20 for $78.

I know I have more options, but my question is what should I get in the end? I won't really play the free games since I have most of them or I don't care, and I won't really be busying my 360 for much other than Halo and other exclusives, so I don't want to go out and splurge on hundreds of bucks for it. It's too much trouble to trade/sell the games anyway. I do have 2 gaming platforms already. But then again there's less risk of me getting RROD at the same time....

I'm not sure what to do, and I'd very kuch like assistance. Thanks. :)

#2 Posted by MarcRecon (5862 posts) -

Option 1 makes the most sense. I picked up the 250g slim with Fonza and Skyrim last month...I couldn't be anymore happier.

#3 Posted by ShadowsDemon (10164 posts) -

Option 1 makes the most sense. I picked up the 250g slim with Fonza and Skyrim last month...I couldn't be anymore happier.

MarcRecon
I just don't want to spend that much cash. I have the cash, sure, but I don't really want to spend that much on it. I'll be getting all the Halos as well, which won't be that cheap :P
#4 Posted by littlestreakier (2931 posts) -

Honestly I would go with option 1. I upgraded my 360 from the launch model to the 250gb slim (my launch model still worked perfectly fine) and I couldn't be happier. You'll thank us later after you get it. Since earlier versions of the 360 had a lot of problems MS worked out a lot of the kinks from the slim. Also the new version comes with the wireless adaptor installed in it so that alone will save you a lot of money. When I bought my launch console the wireless adapter add on cost me $100 extra.

The extra HDD space is GREAT to have as well.

#5 Posted by ShadowsDemon (10164 posts) -

Honestly I would go with option 1. I upgraded my 360 from the launch model to the 250gb slim (my launch model still worked perfectly fine) and I couldn't be happier. You'll thank us later after you get it. Since earlier versions of the 360 had a lot of problems MS worked out a lot of the kinks from the slim. Also the new version comes with the wireless adaptor installed in it so that alone will save you a lot of money. When I bought my launch console the wireless adapter add on cost me $100 extra.

The extra HDD space is GREAT to have as well.

littlestreakier
I have a gaming PC and a PS3 with a 500GB HDD. I really, really don't need more space or content.
#6 Posted by mjf249 (2856 posts) -

I would at least get a slim model. But if your going to playing Halo 4 I would recommend getting a USB thumb drive, because the multiplayer must be installed. The older models are a little more risky, just get the new slim and get a USB thumb drive and you'll be good to go.

#7 Posted by ShadowsDemon (10164 posts) -

I would at least get a slim model. But if your going to playing Halo 4 I would recommend getting a USB thumb drive, because the multiplayer must be installed. The older models are a little more risky, just get the new slim and get a USB thumb drive and you'll be good to go.

mjf249
I prefer a proper HDD. The USB drives are too unstable for me.
#8 Posted by balfe1990 (6747 posts) -

First off, if you wanna play Halo, you're going to need a HDD. So no buying the 4GB Slim model, because a mandatory installation is req. for Halo 4.

Option 3 is off the table. You may as well burn that 78 quid, because the early models are so unpredictable. If you're one of the lucky few, you may never have a problem, but I wouldn't take the risk.

I understand not wanting to pay that much for a Slim, though you're guaranteed to have a hassle-free experience. If you really don't fancy going to the trouble of selling the bundled games you may already have, I wouldn't recommend it. Wouldn't be worth the price of admission

The 120gig models, while more reliable than the 20gigs, still have their share of problems. And they're still v. loud. This option is a maybe. If you're looking to play only Halo, then I reckon this is your best option. Nice middleground in terms of price and reliability.

Though, I'd recommend keeping an eye out for Slim bundles coming up to Xmas, I've seen a lot of "250GB console, extra controller (split-screen Halo FTW) and 1-2 games of your choice for £/$/Euro X.

Or even just a Slim on it's own. Most of the Halo games, save for 4, are very cheap by now, and you could pick them up for a pittance alongside your new console.

#9 Posted by Irondiesel58 (2 posts) -
Only buy what you need to continue playing for a year because next year you'll be back here yelling why did I spend all that money last year and I can't afford the Xbox Infinity the year. Yes it's coming out next holiday time. You can go to the bank on that. Quad processor look for something like a terabyte hard drive. Oh yeah you'll never leave the house again. You'll find a small hint in the Halo multiple player name. Sony fans why are you still around. I know I don't post here much well I do once in a while to busy working on really cool things you'll want. You'll understand shortly after these holidays! Keep your ears open.
#10 Posted by thedarklinglord (662 posts) -
Always buy new. At best, you'll get a 90-day warranty on used, but more likely it'll be 30 days or nothing. And while the 360 isn't as prone to hardware issues as it used to be, there are simply no guarantees with electronics. So, saving a hundred dollars or so isn't really a savings if the thing should die unexpectedly and you have no recourse for a replacement. Best advice: be patient. Unless you feel an overwhelming need to buy it and buy it now, you should spend the next few weeks checking ads and watching online stores, like Amazon, for sales. You missed the Black Friday sales but, in my experience, those same deals almost always come back around before or soon after Christmas. I guarantee someone - Best Buy, Walmart, Target, Amazon, etc. - will run the 360 Holiday Bundle (250GB with Forza 4 and Skyrim) for $200 or, at worst, $250 with a $50 store gift card. You should have no problem getting the 360 and Halo 3, Reach and ODST for $300. Getting Halo 4 as part of that deal for under $300...that'll depend on whether or not you can catch it on sale. Point is, there's really no reason to not buy the console new and get a proper warranty with it.
#11 Posted by Boostinsane (3421 posts) -

If you buy a 360, you always buy it new. If not then... seven days.... :shock:

#12 Posted by ShadowsDemon (10164 posts) -

First off, if you wanna play Halo, you're going to need a HDD. So no buying the 4GB Slim model, because a mandatory installation is req. for Halo 4.

Option 3 is off the table. You may as well burn that 78 quid, because the early models are so unpredictable. If you're one of the lucky few, you may never have a problem, but I wouldn't take the risk.

I understand not wanting to pay that much for a Slim, though you're guaranteed to have a hassle-free experience. If you really don't fancy going to the trouble of selling the bundled games you may already have, I wouldn't recommend it. Wouldn't be worth the price of admission

The 120gig models, while more reliable than the 20gigs, still have their share of problems. And they're still v. loud. This option is a maybe. If you're looking to play only Halo, then I reckon this is your best option. Nice middleground in terms of price and reliability.

Though, I'd recommend keeping an eye out for Slim bundles coming up to Xmas, I've seen a lot of "250GB console, extra controller (split-screen Halo FTW) and 1-2 games of your choice for £/$/Euro X.

Or even just a Slim on it's own. Most of the Halo games, save for 4, are very cheap by now, and you could pick them up for a pittance alongside your new console.

balfe1990
About the last sentence, if I'm going to buy a pre-owned Slim on it's own it would cost me $218. A new one with 4 games and a headset would cost me $299....so I'm pretty sure it's worth getting the bundle with the games, to be honest.
#13 Posted by Trinitarian (1300 posts) -
Its funny i've owned xbox consoles (1and 2) for 10 yrs, and last week i started topics like this to get a PS3. And i bought one 2 days ago and since then i've urge people to get both now since this is basically the last year to really enjoy either console, if you haven't, before the next gen of PS4/720. Anyhow, seeing how there is one year left in this cycle and your only going to be using your xbox 360 nothing but for its exclusives i'd go for the 120gb. You probably use a PS3 for media and multiplates, thus the 120gb is fine. In fact, that's what i have now. I almost bought a 250gb xbox 360 to replace the one i got now cause i'm short on space. However, i do own over 30 games for it but you may not buy that many so you shouldn't have a problem.
#14 Posted by pokemondude2012 (5938 posts) -
Id get the pre owned 20gig.. Then you would have the money for more games and accesories. I actually just did that. Worked out perfect for me.
#16 Posted by littlestreakier (2931 posts) -

Always buy new. At best, you'll get a 90-day warranty on used, but more likely it'll be 30 days or nothing. And while the 360 isn't as prone to hardware issues as it used to be, there are simply no guarantees with electronics. So, saving a hundred dollars or so isn't really a savings if the thing should die unexpectedly and you have no recourse for a replacement. Best advice: be patient. Unless you feel an overwhelming need to buy it and buy it now, you should spend the next few weeks checking ads and watching online stores, like Amazon, for sales. You missed the Black Friday sales but, in my experience, those same deals almost always come back around before or soon after Christmas. I guarantee someone - Best Buy, Walmart, Target, Amazon, etc. - will run the 360 Holiday Bundle (250GB with Forza 4 and Skyrim) for $200 or, at worst, $250 with a $50 store gift card. You should have no problem getting the 360 and Halo 3, Reach and ODST for $300. Getting Halo 4 as part of that deal for under $300...that'll depend on whether or not you can catch it on sale. Point is, there's really no reason to not buy the console new and get a proper warranty with it.thedarklinglord

This is actually a great idea, I would take his advice (if you really want to buy used, get a slim model off craig's list but make sure it works fine before walking about the door with it). As far as the HDD space I was talking about from my earlier post, I meant with 360 exclusive digital titles. But ultimately you know what you'll use the console for so you have to decided if the extra space is worth it or not. I have tons of storage on my computer too, but the extra space on the 360 is well worth it for me.

#17 Posted by Blabadon (26665 posts) -
The options sound the best in the order you presented them in.
#18 Posted by N1K0LA191 (68 posts) -

This late in the production of the next-gen consoles, unless you are an extremely hardcore gamer and will use up a ton of memory on saved games etc. in the next 2 years or so, I would say the 120 GB would be more than enough. With the next-gen Xbox and Playstations being right around the corner, there is almost no sense in dropping a ton of money on a console with a ton of memory, if you're just going to have to upgrade to the newer version soon anyway. Just my input, but I feel it's a pretty strong argument.