My Xbox 360 is so loud. Can't find any useful help.

#1 Posted by MDK12345 (313 posts) -

I've searched google and youtube and nobody seems to know how to fix it. So when I first got my Xbox 360 like 5 years ago, it wasn't loud. And it's not overheating imo, but maybe the fan is loud. Also, it seems like there is a grinding noise now, I can really hear the discs inside. I never even used the 360 that much, so don't see how it could be dying. See this is what I fear about Xbox's.

#2 Posted by vl4d_l3nin (778 posts) -

the Buzzbox 360; they all will eventually make that sound. Hope you don't have roommates!

It could just be dust in the fan, so if you're feeling brave, you can crack open the case and try spraying the fan with an air blaster, or if you have a reverse function on your vacuum, that will work too.

As for the grinding sound, I have that problem and I can't fix it either. I stick to digital downloads.

#4 Posted by MDK12345 (313 posts) -

the Buzzbox 360; they all will eventually make that sound. Hope you don't have roommates!

It could just be dust in the fan, so if you're feeling brave, you can crack open the case and try spraying the fan with an air blaster, or if you have a reverse function on your vacuum, that will work too.

As for the grinding sound, I have that problem and I can't fix it either. I stick to digital downloads.

Is it a concern? Should I be worried?

#5 Edited by vl4d_l3nin (778 posts) -

@mdk12345: unless it sounds like it's going to blow up, I wouldn't worry

#6 Posted by mynamesdenvrmax (2191 posts) -

Judging by your other post you're not an Xbox fan and are a troll in disguise. Buy a new 360, they're cheap. Or don't. I have no stock in Microsoft so I have no reason to sell you on getting one. I have 5 360s and had two failures out of all of them, both were 2006/2007, never again. I have 2 Xbox Ones, zero failures. One made an odd noise out of the box, I exchanged it and every things fine.

#7 Edited by BattleSpectre (5952 posts) -

...... You've had the Xbox 360 for 5 years, yet you don't know it's a very loud machine?

Sounds legit......

#8 Posted by HitmanActual (313 posts) -

Just buy an aerosol lubricant can and place the nozzle in one of the air vent holes and let her rip. Always works for me.

If it's still noisy after spraying a whole can, simply spray another whole can in there and that should do the trick.

#9 Posted by juboner (341 posts) -

I hope you are installing the games to hard drive or usb stick if your 360 is that old. It will help with the noise also.

#10 Posted by gagit811 (3566 posts) -

My elite sounds like a jet engine, I don't use it much but when I do I always can't believe how loud it is. It's so loud it's hard to hear the tv over it. I have a slim that runs whisper quite, I say if you're still using and old fat model 360 now is a good time to replace it with a slim 360.

#11 Posted by CHAOSpectre (14 posts) -

^^^ totally agree, had mine since 07 and its extremely loud. Pretty sure I just need to pull it apart and give it a clean with an air compressor..

#12 Edited by bunchanumbers (199 posts) -

Its not hard to fix. You can take it apart and put in a aftermarket fan. There's places online you can order one. Its also a great time to replace the rubber bands on the drive door. lube up the 2 screw gears and it should take care of your grinding noises. Its a great time to put in heat dissipation pads on your ram and you should be all set. There's full cooling kits out there you can buy and should fix most of your noise issues. Either that or there are mods out there to liquid cool your 360.

#13 Posted by juboner (341 posts) -

The fan inside the power supply brick makes the most noise on my old 360 pro. I dont agree with your advice @bunchanumbers, the op said the disc spinning was making a lot of noise so I would install the game or games that he is playing currently. The white 360's have always been loud, when I first got mine I noticed the power brick is what makes the jet engine sound, so I had to reposition it behind the tv.

#14 Posted by bunchanumbers (199 posts) -

@juboner: What I suggest isn't for everyone but it does work. It just takes the most effort to do. But it would work for dissipating heat from the system. I did that with my 360 and it runs cooler than it did when I bought it. You are right though installing games to the HDD would do the most for silencing the spinning disc problem.

#15 Posted by Solaryellow (423 posts) -

I live close to an airport and there are times (when using the 360) I have to check and see if there is an aircraft hovering above my home because the console gets that loud. In terms of functionality it works fine but it is damn loud.

#16 Posted by juboner (341 posts) -

@bunchanumbers: Just glad you can see your wrong ways ; ) Dont u ever try to out advise me again.