My disk drive won't open...

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by lurid_twilight (158 posts) -

Yup.. so my 360's disk drive doesn't open, but only when it's standing vertically. It'll occasionally open when there's a disk in it, but when there isn't.. it doesn't open up at all. I realize I could just sit it horizontally, but I'd rather get the problem fixed before it gets worse. It's still under warrenty for awhile, so I'm probably going to send it in.

I was just wondering if anyone else had this problem, and if they fixed it or not... and yeah. I suppose that's about it.

#2 Posted by brickbazooka05 (257 posts) -
My brother's 360 did this even when he had his horizontal, but all that we had to do to get it to open was smack the top of the 360 pretty hard. A few weeks later his 360 got the three red lights, so i would recommend sending yours in.
#3 Posted by lurid_twilight (158 posts) -
Yeah, sending it in is probably the best thing to do. Thank you.
#4 Posted by xbxjetraider (1522 posts) -
Beat it with a shtick!
#5 Posted by SuP3R_TooT (1691 posts) -

My brother's 360 did this even when he had his horizontal, but all that we had to do to get it to open was smack the top of the 360 pretty hard. A few weeks later his 360 got the three red lights, so i would recommend sending yours in. brickbazooka05

did it occur to you that the RROD came about because u was smacking the top of it ?

#6 Posted by commando611 (1728 posts) -
did you have this right after your rrod? because it may be the sticker on the chrome piece..take it off. if not..well..RIP
#7 Posted by brickbazooka05 (257 posts) -

[QUOTE="brickbazooka05"]My brother's 360 did this even when he had his horizontal, but all that we had to do to get it to open was smack the top of the 360 pretty hard. A few weeks later his 360 got the three red lights, so i would recommend sending yours in. SuP3R_TooT

did it occur to you that the RROD came about because u was smacking the top of it ?

yes, but i was just trying to tell this kid how to get it to open, and i was trying to tell him that the best thing to do is probably send it in.

#8 Posted by Cesar_Barba (3665 posts) -
Actually, I bought my 360 used with that very problem. At first I thought I would just switch the disk drive, since of course it was not under warranty. Anyway, I opened it, and took a close look at the drive, turns out two of the gears were missing and the rubber-band was loose. I had a bunch of non-working optical drives which I dismantled and fortunately found some gears that kind of fit. They are about 1mm to 2mm too small, so when I open and close the tray, it needs some 'guidance' some of the time. Still, not a bad deal for about $200USD.
#9 Posted by Handheld_Dude91 (1184 posts) -

Exact same thing for me. It takes a few tries to get it to open when its vertical. But, my system is always horizontal anyways.

My friend has had this problem for a while and his system is fine. If you want you can sent it in though.

#10 Posted by SH4D0W_ASSASSIN (217 posts) -
this happened to my 3rd 360 it would not open but sometimes it did then it wouldnt read my disc then it kept telling me to put my disc in to a xbox 360 console lol
#11 Posted by knob1701 (410 posts) -
Do a google search on 360 disk tray problems. There is a way to pop it open that I read about a while back. You have to stick a paperclip into on of the holes on the front panel or something like that. You should be able to find this solution easy on the internet.
#12 Posted by knob1701 (410 posts) -
Do a google search on 360 disk tray problems. There is a way to pop it open that I read about a while back. You have to stick a paperclip into on of the holes on the front panel or something like that. You should be able to find this solution easy on the internet.
#13 Posted by mohfrontline (5678 posts) -
my drive won't open when it's vertical either. must be a universal problem.
#14 Posted by danzoid_101 (1592 posts) -
The only way mine would open is if i fiddled with the tray and then I got the RROD and MS fixed it now its fine *knocks wood*, so I recommend sending it in especialy if its under warranty.
#15 Posted by spue (473 posts) -
mine has done this just push the drive gently and it should eject
#16 Posted by xxxCerber005xxx (7 posts) -
i think that over playing for long periods of time has somthing 2 do with this.. idk why bcuz i played for 2 hours then my brother played 4 2 more hours then when we tried 2 change discs it wont open........but when we closed it and let it rest 4 about an hour the disc tray works perfectly...just let the 360 rest and it would be fine.
#17 Posted by Sub-ZeroJoe (377 posts) -
All you have to do is press the eject button and then, put you finger in between the eject button and the disk tray. It should open.
#18 Posted by blackknight1191 (55 posts) -

that happened to my older brother's regular xbox, if u didnt have a disk in it it had a hard time opening. as to your question, all you need is a FORK! but sending it in sounds better..... maybe hahaha

#19 Posted by AmargaVida (812 posts) -

mine has done this just push the drive gently and it should ejectspue

thats what i did with my old XBOX 360

#20 Posted by 69ANT69 (8474 posts) -
I always punch the top gently and it usually opens, or prise it open with a knife.
#21 Posted by LilNuffSaid (42 posts) -
My disk drive won't open too unless i press the open button and push the disk drive in a bit.
#22 Posted by darkness010110 (2 posts) -

mine has done this just push the drive gently and it should ejectspue

this work for me, thank you had my drive fixed before halo 3 came out it would not open or close, a cable snapped from the case being closed or droped

anyway thank you

#23 Posted by Vuurk (6258 posts) -
This should be in the technical support forum.
#24 Posted by Keving7 (1028 posts) -
i have that issue sometimes but its a very rare occurance. since yours is, i as most others would suggest that you snd it in. frankly, if there is any problem, i think one should send it in. microsoft made these systems like this, they should be somewhat accountable for the vast number of recurrent problems the 360 has
#25 Posted by Swiftsniper (1 posts) -
I have been through about 4 xboxes already first on got the red light of death, second one got the disk tray and i was out of warranty so i tinkered with it, that one worked for a bit then died, 3rd one i got redlighted and got so hot that the tamper sticker came unglued. Couldn't send that one in so it met my 12gauge. The one I have now has the tray opening issue. I just turn it off and put it horizontally and it usually works. You would think that enough people play the damn things that Microsoft would just hook us up with either a no bs warranty or make the systems right the first time. LOL
#26 Posted by Sauron (141 posts) -

I'm on my second X-box and I have the same problem when a disk isn't in the tray. In the occurance that I accidentally close it without a disk I have to pop the front off and grab the small nail I keep taped to the top of my X-Box and shove it in one of the small holes to manually eject the drive. It also sounds like a car without a muffler while reading disks. I've been installing my games to my hard drive in hopes of prolonging the inevitable. =/

#27 Posted by jad206 (1821 posts) -

My xbox just started doing this about last week.

#28 Posted by AxierLionheart (1 posts) -
Try to open it, if it doesn't you hit the top forcefully, but gently. DONT pound it with a hammer... While it is open, pop off the faceplate (Doesn't void warranty.) You should see a plastic "gear-like" wheel, about the size of a half dollar, with a belt near the front under the tray, slightly to the right. Jiggle it and then close. Try to open it again. If it opens four or five times, it should be good. Don't put it vertical. I just wouldn't trust it to stay fixed if it is vertical. If you have no wheel thingy or belt, your drive is screwed and you should return within warranty or just blow it up for shticks and gigglies.
#29 Posted by getyeryayasout (7775 posts) -

I've had this happen with a couple 360's and it's just one of the reasons I no longer stand my 360 up anymore. Here's a tip, immidiately after pressing the eject button lightly tap the tray door with your finger. At least that worked for me, goodluck.

#30 Posted by _TheJoker_ (6013 posts) -

I have had the same problem for over a year now and my 360 still works fine, don't worry about it.

#31 Posted by pure2330 (3 posts) -
my xbox 360 has got rrod 2 times after the second time it started to do this and warranty has ran out.
#32 Posted by pure2330 (3 posts) -
u could have moved the xbox in the past and the gears might move a bit and fall off