My brother's Xbox Live account got hacked, what should I do?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by mECHwARRIORx2 (1003 posts) -
My brother tried to sign in to his account and it gave him the error message that you receive when your account has been recovered on someone else's 360. It wouldn't let him recover it. I looked at my friend's list for his gamerpicture and it was under another name. He tried that gamertag along with the email and password, and he recovered it just fine. The only problem is that the guy who took his account used 800 of his microsoft points to change the gamertag (I assume so my brother couldn't find it). He doesn't want to file an official complaint, but I sure as hell do. I don't want my account hacked - this crap needs to be reported. I have called 1-800-4MY-XBOX enough times to know that if I call them about this, they will have no idea what to do (I can't even understand them anyways). Here's the bottom line: does anyone know how to officially report hacking to microsoft? I don't want this guy to end up stealing my account and beautiful gamerscore.
#2 Posted by Lilirch100302 (154 posts) -
put your head in between your legs and kiss that gamertag goodbye!
#3 Posted by xRmRxfreakBOMB (621 posts) -
I dont really think that there's any way to hunt down the person that "hacked" your bro's account. (BTW your bro probably gave his password to a friend or something. Or a a no-life sat in his basement for a year and tried a TON of passwords and got really really really REALLY lucky)
#4 Posted by Arcade-Fire (365 posts) -
My brother tried to sign in to his account and it gave him the error message that you receive when your account has been recovered on someone else's 360. It wouldn't let him recover it. I looked at my friend's list for his gamerpicture and it was under another name. He tried that gamertag along with the email and password, and he recovered it just fine. The only problem is that the guy who took his account used 800 of his microsoft points to change the gamertag (I assume so my brother couldn't find it). He doesn't want to file an official complaint, but I sure as hell do. I don't want my account hacked - this crap needs to be reported. I have called 1-800-4MY-XBOX enough times to know that if I call them about this, they will have no idea what to do (I can't even understand them anyways). Here's the bottom line: does anyone know how to officially report hacking to microsoft? I don't want this guy to end up stealing my account and beautiful gamerscore.mECHwARRIORx2
hmm well ill tell you how to get it back if you just tell me your e-mail and password
#5 Posted by xRmRxfreakBOMB (621 posts) -

[QUOTE="mECHwARRIORx2"]My brother tried to sign in to his account and it gave him the error message that you receive when your account has been recovered on someone else's 360. It wouldn't let him recover it. I looked at my friend's list for his gamerpicture and it was under another name. He tried that gamertag along with the email and password, and he recovered it just fine. The only problem is that the guy who took his account used 800 of his microsoft points to change the gamertag (I assume so my brother couldn't find it). He doesn't want to file an official complaint, but I sure as hell do. I don't want my account hacked - this crap needs to be reported. I have called 1-800-4MY-XBOX enough times to know that if I call them about this, they will have no idea what to do (I can't even understand them anyways). Here's the bottom line: does anyone know how to officially report hacking to microsoft? I don't want this guy to end up stealing my account and beautiful gamerscore.Arcade-Fire
hmm well ill tell you how to get it back if you just tell me your e-mail and password

that would be so funny if he did it :P

#6 Posted by great_rulo (2838 posts) -
haha nice one.
#7 Posted by SherlockHolmes1 (137 posts) -
I'm also thinking it was a friend or someone he knew. I find it odd that he didn't want to report it which would indicate that might be the case.
#8 Posted by Warlock89 (2200 posts) -
So your brother got his gamertag back? If so, tell him to change his WINDOWS ID password to something completely different then what it was before. So it can't be stolen again. As for reporting a person who took the gamertag, I dunno if anything can be done.
#9 Posted by APOLLOCJD (2311 posts) -

By the sounds of it your brother gave out his e-mail and password to a site that wasn't xbox.com or some other source that got his account stollen. However that doesn't seem to be the case cause phising scams will then change the e-mail and password to something else so you cannot re access the account. It sounds to me like your brother gave his account to a friend or something who then just decided to be an idiot and change it. Or you or your brother are not giving us the full story.

Basically all you can do is change the password to the e-mail address and suck it up, a report isn't going to do anything, you can do the same as well and try to be more careful with who you give your personal information next time....

#10 Posted by Arcade-Fire (365 posts) -

[QUOTE="Arcade-Fire"][QUOTE="mECHwARRIORx2"]My brother tried to sign in to his account and it gave him the error message that you receive when your account has been recovered on someone else's 360. It wouldn't let him recover it. I looked at my friend's list for his gamerpicture and it was under another name. He tried that gamertag along with the email and password, and he recovered it just fine. The only problem is that the guy who took his account used 800 of his microsoft points to change the gamertag (I assume so my brother couldn't find it). He doesn't want to file an official complaint, but I sure as hell do. I don't want my account hacked - this crap needs to be reported. I have called 1-800-4MY-XBOX enough times to know that if I call them about this, they will have no idea what to do (I can't even understand them anyways). Here's the bottom line: does anyone know how to officially report hacking to microsoft? I don't want this guy to end up stealing my account and beautiful gamerscore.xRmRxfreakBOMB

sssssssssshhhhhhhh you will foil my plan....erumm anyway, dont listen to him, giving me your details is the smart thing to do.
#11 Posted by SQUIGLEY101 (35 posts) -
dude did you talk to a person cause if you did they're worthless
#12 Posted by VoodooHak (15989 posts) -
I agree that maybe your brother shared his info when he wasn't supposed to. Get to the truth of what he did. Then make sure you don't do the same.
#13 Posted by stringer4 (674 posts) -
just shut it down, you dont want to take any chances
#14 Posted by mECHwARRIORx2 (1003 posts) -
I remember that one day he was using someone else's account for Halo 3 (I think he was ranking him up). Maybe he gave his info like an idiot and some douche bag screwed him over.
#15 Posted by Sacif (1830 posts) -
[QUOTE="xRmRxfreakBOMB"]

[QUOTE="Arcade-Fire"][QUOTE="mECHwARRIORx2"]My brother tried to sign in to his account and it gave him the error message that you receive when your account has been recovered on someone else's 360. It wouldn't let him recover it. I looked at my friend's list for his gamerpicture and it was under another name. He tried that gamertag along with the email and password, and he recovered it just fine. The only problem is that the guy who took his account used 800 of his microsoft points to change the gamertag (I assume so my brother couldn't find it). He doesn't want to file an official complaint, but I sure as hell do. I don't want my account hacked - this crap needs to be reported. I have called 1-800-4MY-XBOX enough times to know that if I call them about this, they will have no idea what to do (I can't even understand them anyways). Here's the bottom line: does anyone know how to officially report hacking to microsoft? I don't want this guy to end up stealing my account and beautiful gamerscore.Arcade-Fire

sssssssssshhhhhhhh you will foil my plan....erumm anyway, dont listen to him, giving me your details is the smart thing to do.

and a list of all your fears :P

#16 Posted by freshgman (12241 posts) -
so what get a new one its not the end of the world
#17 Posted by gamer082009 (6679 posts) -

My brother tried to sign in to his account and it gave him the error message that you receive when your account has been recovered on someone else's 360. It wouldn't let him recover it. I looked at my friend's list for his gamerpicture and it was under another name. He tried that gamertag along with the email and password, and he recovered it just fine. The only problem is that the guy who took his account used 800 of his microsoft points to change the gamertag (I assume so my brother couldn't find it). He doesn't want to file an official complaint, but I sure as hell do. I don't want my account hacked - this crap needs to be reported. I have called 1-800-4MY-XBOX enough times to know that if I call them about this, they will have no idea what to do (I can't even understand them anyways). Here's the bottom line: does anyone know how to officially report hacking to microsoft? I don't want this guy to end up stealing my account and beautiful gamerscore.mECHwARRIORx2
Um.. no one can actually hack someones Xbox Live account. Odds are your brother gave him the password because the perpetrator probably told him he can give him free points or easy achievements. So in Microsoft's eyes that's negligent and stupidity. So you need to talk to your brother and ask him who he gave the password to. There's no way for someone to hack your account. And I know there's some hype person gonna come in here and say other wise. Anyways, tell him in the future not to give his password to random people on Live that say they can do things for him, cuz it's lies.

#18 Posted by p00phead (1203 posts) -
put a xbox live pass code and a different password for your windows live id
#19 Posted by djrobst (2404 posts) -
I dont really think that there's any way to hunt down the person that "hacked" your bro's account. (BTW your bro probably gave his password to a friend or something. Or a a no-life sat in his basement for a year and tried a TON of passwords and got really really really REALLY lucky)xRmRxfreakBOMB
ip addresses. this guy shud phone up xbox customer support, and change the email address used for the profile. change the password and also change the secrurity question so it cannot be guessed at all
#20 Posted by AsHeavenIsWide (247 posts) -

do what i did created a unique msn live account for my 360 and only ever log on the msn over ya 360.

the only way is if the password is dumb or that ya bro gave it away.....if he has a mega gamerscore then it could be possible your bros comp was key logged in order to get to the 360 account......all the WOW accounts get stolen by keylogs.

you should probs change the 360 account name again...also delete any random friend adds or people u dont trust or actually play with off ya bros account b4 u change the name.

also exsplain that websites offering free gamerpoints for your msn address and passwords are not legit

#21 Posted by Bronzeskull (1 posts) -
I got hacked just today...i cant put the pin on the paper on how to spell all my friends names for my new account. people need to get a life. seriously who would do that
#22 Posted by CardiacKid07 (1225 posts) -
he probably when to a site that asks you to sign in to your gamercard. and when he did it just toke his info and later got it hacked. its the same with myspace.
#23 Posted by kozzy1234 (35334 posts) -

Tell your bro not to sign up for FREE MICROSOFT POINTS and this wont happen.

Happened to my cousin cuz he was silly enough to sign up for that crap.

If it soudns to good to be true, then something probably isnt right with it.

#24 Posted by Red122 (395 posts) -
You should seriously ask your bro if he gave someone his password maybe a friend or an achivement glitcher to glitch his account. Anyways you cnat do jack espicially if you dont have his the guys gamertag. As far as your account unless your password and email are almost identical dont worry just keep your passwrod safe and if need be change it every so often just to be safe.
#25 Posted by Nightmare-JD (24 posts) -
I remember reading about this last year. What these people do is keep calling Microsoft a lot with the gamertag they want, claiming to have just forgotten the password, requesting it to be reset. Now protocol is for Microsoft to ask your name, address and answer your secret question but there are a few idiots at Microsoft that don't follow that procedure and do it anyway. These people know the best times of days to do this (my guess first thing in morning, last thing at night and busy times) and do it to steal your gamer score, ms points and worst, your identity in the real world as they can obtain your name, address, D.O.B. etc. Microsoft are aware of this and yet have no official comment as it is their own staff being negligent Now before people start saying that I am to bash the 360, I am a 360 patriot, launch console and all:DI just remember this on gamespot last year
#26 Posted by chaoscougar1 (36986 posts) -
unless u know who it was i dont think theres much they can do (now that uve got the gamertag back)
#27 Posted by KoRn_Eddy_88 (1619 posts) -
go to xbox.com have your brother sign in there. find out what the gamer tag is. change the password then recover it. ta-da all fixed
#28 Posted by killB_O_T (246 posts) -

This is how he could have lost his password, a security flaw in Internet Explorer

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/7784908.stm

#29 Posted by kozzy1234 (35334 posts) -

This is how he could have lost his password, a security flaw in Internet Explorer

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/7784908.stm

killB_O_T

Firefox FTW!