Microsoft making new streaming tech

This topic is locked from further discussion.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#1 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

Looks like MS is following in Sony's footsteps and they are now making a streaming service aswell. Not really surprising, seing how that seems to be the future.

With Microsoft’s Xbox One taking a slight shift away from the big entertainment and multimedia that was debuted along with its announcement and focusing more towards games, a new document from Microsoft’s research division seems to indicate the company may be looking into game streaming as one of the next steps for its platform.

The uncovered paper details new technology that Microsoft has been researching and developing specifically to improve the responsiveness of game streaming, with the new tech codenamed “DeLorean.” In reviewing the document, the paper claims that the “DeLorean” tech can mask up to 250ms of network latency, leading to improved play by mimicking a low-latency connection. Testing the tech with Doom 3, the document explains:

“Through user studies and performance benchmarks, we find that players overwhelmingly prefer DeLorean to traditional thin-client gaming where the network RTT is fully visible, and that DeLorean successfully mimics playing across a low-latency network.”

The document also further elaborates that the DeLorean tech would appeal to those on other multimedia-capable devices, specifically mentioning phones, tablets, or TVs and other devices “lacking high-end GPUs.”

Whether this means that Microsoft is planning to develop a streaming service for Xbox One, similar to Sony’s Gaikai-powered PlayStation Now, remains to be seen, but stay tuned for more details on “DeLorean” as it develops.

Link

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#2 branketra
Member since 2006 • 51726 Posts

@The_Last_Ride: Moved

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#3 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

@BranKetra said:

thanks, i posted this in the wrong forum

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#4 branketra
Member since 2006 • 51726 Posts

@The_Last_Ride said:

@BranKetra said:

thanks, i posted this in the wrong forum

Sure thing.

tmorri603

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#5 tmorri603
Member since 2003 • 407 Posts

I am sorry but Sony is following in MS's footsteps. MS has been working on this before the Xbox One was launched. Sony is just in the early stages of what MS is doing. This has nothing to do with Sony's service playing past games on the PS4. What MS is trying to do is for future games. If they can get the latency down, they will be able to take some of the computing the system will do and have it done by a server. This would potentially add more years to the system because you would not have to upgrade because of ageing hardware. I am taking Cloud Computing now and I wanted to do my paper on this subject but it is not enough information to do a paper on right now.