Metal Gear Solid 5 release date announced

This topic is locked from further discussion.

garfield360uk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 0

#1 garfield360uk
Member since 2006 • 20381 Posts

Hey all,

So Konami have officially announced Metal Gear Solid 5 will be out 1st September (2015)!

As a fan of Metal Gear Solid 4, I am happy to see this will be coming to Xbox One (as I do not have a PlayStation 4 so would not be able to play it if it was exclusive to that system). So, anybody else here interested/excited about the release?

Anybody else in the same boat as me who have got MGS Ground Zeroes but have not played it through yet? Personally I will have to get on with that so I can see the story for when MGS5 is out.

Discuss away!

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2  Edited By SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

I'm a longtime MGS fan...I can't wait.

However, the 720p for Xbone is a bummer.

It's going to be a fantastic game though, I'm getting the C.E.

XxAK47xX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 XxAK47xX
Member since 2005 • 5003 Posts

@SolidTy: for a game like this i would choose 30fps and 1080p if there has to be one or the other. 30fps gives the game a much more cinematic look. and feel . Either way the game will be fun af.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By SolidTy
@SolidTy said:

@XxAK47xX said:

@SolidTy: for a game like this i would choose 30fps and 1080p if there has to be one or the other. 30fps gives the game a much more cinematic look. and feel . Either way the game will be fun af.

It doesn't seem like you read the official Hideo Kojima - Konami link correctly. There is no 1080p/30fps option.

You can have 1080p and 60fps if you want though.

There are three options for MGS5. The options are:

1. 720p/30fps (PS360)
  2. 720p/60fps (Xbone double frame rate)
  3. 1080p/60fps (PS4 double frame rate and resolution)

Maybe you were speaking hypothetically? Kojima does prize frame rate in this MGS5 game apparently, considering both current gen machines are 60fps, equally smooth. MGS2 was 60fps to give you an idea.

For 720p the number of pixels that make up the image is about 1 million (equivalent to 1 megapixel in a digital still camera) and about 2 million pixels for 1080p. This means that a 1080p image has the potential to display a lot more detail than a 720p image.

It seems Kojima had to make a cut based on hardware specs and as the creator/director felt the compromise was the resolution over the frame rate for Xbone. It would be nice if we could toggle to 30fps on Xbone and get 1080p for those that wanted it, but if the creator had gameplay designs for the game, I would probably just go with his recommendation.

That said, it's going to be fun, for sure.

I'm getting the C.E. just like I did for MGS3 and MGS4.

I have every western released Metal Gear game from NES on. I remember when the first game first released on NES (ported from MSX), and it was great fun. I was so excited for the new Metal Gear Solid IP revival back in 1998. I had MGS1 reserved and bought it on day one. It was wonderful getting home and playing it that night.

XxAK47xX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 XxAK47xX
Member since 2005 • 5003 Posts

Sorry for the confusion. What I was trying to say was Konami chose to do 720p and 60fps on the Xbox one version. If I had a preference for the xbox one version, I would rather have the resources spent on the visuals rather than doubling the frame rate. This is because I do like how a 30 fps game feels/ looks when it comes to 3rd person action that is at a slower pace.

xhawk27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#7  Edited By xhawk27
Member since 2010 • 12181 Posts

@SolidTy said:

Isn't that for the demo from last year?

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By SolidTy

@XxAK47xX said:

Sorry for the confusion. What I was trying to say was Konami chose to do 720p and 60fps on the Xbox one version. If I had a preference for the xbox one version, I would rather have the resources spent on the visuals rather than doubling the frame rate. This is because I do like how a 30 fps game feels/ looks when it comes to 3rd person action that is at a slower pace.

O I C. Cheers. :)

@xhawk27 said:

@SolidTy said:

Isn't that for the demo from last year?

That's the official stats for both games using the Kojima's Fox Engine...but that doesn't mean Kojima couldn't change the stats with Xbone due to optimization, but in the meantime these are the stats for the Fox Engine which powers both MGS5 chapters.

We do know Konami announced the dates of the games recently and Kojima was in the news last week. Unfortunately, Kojima is working very hard completing the game and he did not mention any type of boost for the Xbone version.

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain: Hideo Kojima Explains a Problem He’s Working Hard to Solve

http://www.dualshockers.com/2015/02/25/metal-gear-solid-v-the-phantom-pain-hideo-kojima-explains-a-problem-hes-working-hard-to-solve/

You can see here Kojima's dealing with a huge issue with the sandbox conflict between freedom and incoherency. It’s actually a rather widespread issue in open world games. Will the legendary Kojima manage to finally overcome the issue? Completing the game is his priority, but maybe they will find a way to tweak the Fox Engine and get 900p for Xbone? I'm just guessing, but if not it will be 60fps silky smooth.

If you haven't been following, the Fox Engine uses deferred rendering which combined with hardware limitations forced the 720p resolution on Ground Zeroes and PES 2015, both are Konami games. It was explained last year by Kojima. As I said, we still have six months of Konami PR for them to announce any resolutions or frame rate changes. In the meantime, what I posted is up to date for the MGS fans.

Don't fret though, it's going to be a "solid" game. This is all well known and rather old news for us MGS fans...if you haven't heard it until now, I have to ask, are you a fan of the MGS games?

BattleSpectre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By BattleSpectre
Member since 2009 • 7989 Posts

Can we please stick to the topic at hand everyone, let's not turn this into a framerate/resolution comparison between the two consoles. Anyways, yes I am very much looking forward to this game, I loved MGS4 and I will eventually buy Ground Zeroes (only reason I haven't bought it yet is because of the short length and it's still expensive here).

garfield360uk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#10  Edited By garfield360uk
Member since 2006 • 20381 Posts

@XxAK47xX:

Have you played Ground Zeroes? I must admit, I am a tad confused over the plot point, is this a direct sequel to what is going on in that or is it further into the future and with Solid Snake and not Big Boss? (If the answer is a spoiler, please use the spoiler box, but if it is purely this game is set in the future and not directly after Ground Zeroes then you can just say that).

I wonder if any of the MGS4 cast will make the new game (such as Raiden and the munitions guy).

davidguitar20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 davidguitar20
Member since 2015 • 25 Posts

@Garfield360UK:

I am really looking forward to this game, I preordered and bought ground zeroes last year and loved it. The phantom pain is going to be epic, I look forward to building my mother base.

BattleSpectre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By BattleSpectre
Member since 2009 • 7989 Posts

@Garfield360UK said:

@XxAK47xX:

Have you played Ground Zeroes? I must admit, I am a tad confused over the plot point, is this a direct sequel to what is going on in that or is it further into the future and with Solid Snake and not Big Boss? (If the answer is a spoiler, please use the spoiler box, but if it is purely this game is set in the future and not directly after Ground Zeroes then you can just say that).

I wonder if any of the MGS4 cast will make the new game (such as Raiden and the munitions guy).

Haha, I don't understand the story either. Before MGS5 comes out I think I'll read about the story online on a wiki or something because I have no idea what's going on half the time, nonetheless I still enjoyed MGS4 :P