JRPG - Which Three to Play First

This topic is locked from further discussion.

xcryonicx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

#1 xcryonicx
Member since 2006 • 1294 Posts

Hi all. I've got down to three RPGs for the 360 to be one of the first I play on the system. Between Blue Dragon, Infinite Undiscovery, an Star Ocean, which would you suggest I play first? I haven't touched a traditional JRPG in quite some time, so which of these has the best balance between story, gameplay, etc. Note: I'm not a newbie to the genre, but I also somewhat dislike grinding for the sake of grinding. Thanks!

Rabantha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Rabantha
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts
Well, you have narrowed it down to the same 3 that I did and in the end I bought them all (after finishing one etc). In my opinion, I thought Star Ocean was the best. The story is good, there is humor, the battles are really fun (as always in this series) and it is a very beautiful game visually! Some of the dialog can be a bit heavy, but staying with it definitely offeres the full reward of how in did! Don't know how much you know about the fighting style in it so i wont spoil much, but it was very fun, so personally I would play this second :D ................however, I am still currently playing IU so can not comment on it too much myself, apart from up to now I am really enjoying it. The combat is very fluent and a strong sense of teamwork is definitely present. Now this may overtake the other 2 once I have finished it, but until then I can not judge.......But the other two are safe buys, especially as you can get them really cheap nowdays! Hope this helps you decide, and have fun with whichever one you get! My GT is Rabantha, can always PM on there if you need anything else, I not logged in to this much..... P.S. Another GREAT RPG is Lost Odyssey.......If you like the old FF series, not the new f****d up battles and lame story ones, then this is definitely for you! Probably one of my favourites! Rate it highly above the three named above ;)
ShadowsDemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#3 ShadowsDemon
Member since 2012 • 10059 Posts
None to be honest. They're all bad games. :P
xcryonicx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 xcryonicx
thanks Rabantha! I'll probably end up getting all of them, but definitely steering more towards SO for the first.
funsohng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 funsohng
Member since 2005 • 29976 Posts
Oh god, you just had to go and choose those three.... Tales of Vesperia, Lost Odyssey, Eternal Sonata, Resonance of Fate, hell, even FF13 is more recommendable than those.
ShadowsDemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 ShadowsDemon
[QUOTE="funsohng"]Oh god, you just had to go and choose those three.... Tales of Vesperia, Lost Odyssey, Eternal Sonata, Resonance of Fate, hell, even FF13 is more recommendable than those.

Finally a person who likes RoF :D
funsohng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 funsohng
Member since 2005 • 29976 Posts
[QUOTE="ShadowsDemon"][QUOTE="funsohng"]Oh god, you just had to go and choose those three.... Tales of Vesperia, Lost Odyssey, Eternal Sonata, Resonance of Fate, hell, even FF13 is more recommendable than those.

I actually I barely played it (still have all of the games I mentioned). It's just that I think there is no way it can be worse than what TC mentioned.
TTDog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 75

#8 TTDog
Member since 2007 • 3545 Posts

To me... Infinite Undiscovery looked like it was rushed, like they hadn't finished polishing the game before they had to release it, Star Ocean starts okay but suffers from horrendous disk swapping later on, Blue Dragon is okay but a little bit kiddified graphically.

If you are down to these three then I can only hope you've already played MAgna Carta 2, Tales of Vesperia and Eternal Sonata which are all better than the three you listed, and then there is Lost Odyssey which is the best JRPG this generation.

ShadowsDemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 ShadowsDemon
[QUOTE="funsohng"][QUOTE="ShadowsDemon"][QUOTE="funsohng"]Oh god, you just had to go and choose those three.... Tales of Vesperia, Lost Odyssey, Eternal Sonata, Resonance of Fate, hell, even FF13 is more recommendable than those.

I actually I barely played it (still have all of the games I mentioned). It's just that I think there is no way it can be worse than what TC mentioned.

I've barely played it as well, but it's still better. :P
xcryonicx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 xcryonicx
lol. ok thanks for those recommendations as well! had not heard of Magna Carta 2 and it looks sweet. I think what Im taking away from all this is that since these games are all pretty cheap now it wouldn't hurt to just try them all :P
DJSAV_101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 DJSAV_101
Member since 2008 • 3701 Posts

Can't recommend you any of those 3 since I have not played them but I can recommend Lost Odyssey and Tales of Vesperia. Both great games the latter being the better of the two in my opinion.

tjoeb123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#12 tjoeb123
Member since 2004 • 6843 Posts
Record of.....Aragrest......War....? (I can't believe I just said that....)
CTR360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 CTR360
Member since 2007 • 9150 Posts
blue dragoon
Axt428

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Axt428
Member since 2009 • 78 Posts
i mainly play rpgs and if ive beaten all mentioned in this thread if i had to choose again from the list you provided i would choose star ocean, as it has the best game play as typical of all star oceans the battles are in real time( so is infinite undiscovery) blue dragon is turn based. star oceans story is typical star ocean you travel to different systems solving problems creating new items via crafting system., moving onto the next solar system repeat. if your expanding outside the ones listed resonance of fate had a very unique weapon upgrade system that i truly enjoyed playing with make numerous weapons, and also a pretty compelling story line but it is chapter based and you can miss out on quite a bit if you only do the main quest line and move on.
Canuck3000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Canuck3000
Member since 2004 • 40562 Posts
Out of the three you listed. Star Ocean for sure. I have it on PS3 and it's quite good. However, like others have said, try and get Tales of Vesperia. It's the best 360 JRPG IMO
Bortix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#16 Bortix
Member since 2003 • 26 Posts

Record of.....Aragrest......War....? (I can't believe I just said that....)tjoeb123

It's the best strategy RPG for 360.

Axt428

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Axt428
Member since 2009 • 78 Posts
agreed i liked it better than zero