It’s Official: Microsoft to Close Xbox Entertainment Studios

#1 Posted by SolidTy (42818 posts) -

It’s Official: Microsoft to Close Xbox Entertainment Studios (Linky)

Move gets Xbox out of original programming, spearheaded by former CBS chief Nancy Tellem

Microsoft is getting out of developing original series for its Xbox gaming platform and will close Xbox Entertainment Studios in the coming months.

The tech giant made headlines Thursday with plans to layoff as many as 18,000 employees following its recent $7.2 billion acquisition of Nokia’s phones business...

---

Microsoft to Shutter Xbox Entertainment Studios (Linky)

Microsoft will shut down the Xbox Entertainment Studios, ending an ambitious foray into original video programming....The majority of the Xbox Entertainment’s 200 employees work in southern California and Vancouver, though the company refuses today how many will lose their jobs. The cuts are part of Microsoft’s company-wide restructuring announced on Thursday morning, which will see the elimination of up to 18,000 jobs in the next 12 months...

---

Two articles. Some projects in development and production, including a live action “Halo” series, will still be produced.

#2 Posted by xhawk27 (7262 posts) -

I was going to buy an Xbox One just for the TV shows.... said no-one ever.

#3 Posted by Mercuria1_King (276 posts) -

I read this earlier, I am disappointed that they closed down Xbox Entertainment Studios because I was looking forward to the original programming.

#4 Posted by adders99 (2605 posts) -

As much as it sucks that they will be closing this section down, I don't think many people were excited about them in terms of buying an xbox one for them. It would have been nice as a little add on but I bought an x1 for the games.

#5 Posted by xhawk27 (7262 posts) -

I read this earlier, I am disappointed that they closed down Xbox Entertainment Studios because I was looking forward to the original programming.

Still going to get the Halo Shows, Video game doc, Sports programs - NFL on Xbox One.

#6 Posted by Mercuria1_King (276 posts) -

@xhawk27 said:

@mercuria1_king said:

Still going to get the Halo Shows, Video game doc, Sports programs - NFL on Xbox One.

I was happy to hear that we are still going to get the Halo shows and such but I feel that they will not get as much attention as they deserve.

#7 Posted by magicalclick (22554 posts) -

Every Street United is pretty nice, but, then, I can still it is burning mad money. I don't mind they ended the studio. For all the projects they listed, they are all high risk cash burning shows, or just boring documentaries. I don't care how Hulu or Netflix shows are so block buster blah. I look at money and I say, give me those shows filmed in cheap warehouse, because that's the first step for entertainment.

#8 Posted by WiCkStaR1 (20 posts) -

@magicalclick: I agree 100%. To be totally honest I think they would have gotten involved in something a little over their heads. It would have been an absolute money pit, and ultimately if you ask me a huge waste of money. I think it was smart by them to allocate funds elsewhere.

#9 Edited by cainetao11 (17349 posts) -

@SolidTy: aside from Halo and a documentary on the E.T. cartridge find were there any other things in filming/post production?

#10 Edited by SolidTy (42818 posts) -

@SolidTy: aside from Halo and a documentary on the E.T. cartridge find were there any other things in filming/post production?

Those you mentioned plus a Soccer-themed reality show “Every Street United” which debuted last month on June 15th to little fanfare. I believe those are it, but I'm not an expert on the subject as I haven't been following this entertainment studio.

#11 Posted by cainetao11 (17349 posts) -

@SolidTy: like I said in another thread, titanfall and sometimes MGS is all my X1 is for besides TV until Destiny and FH2

#12 Edited by SolidTy (42818 posts) -

@SolidTy: like I said in another thread, titanfall and sometimes MGS is all my X1 is for besides TV until Destiny and FH2

Nice, glad you are having a good time with current gen. I'm still backlogging it a bit, lol.

#13 Posted by jesser7 (45 posts) -

So what happens to gears & halo now

#14 Posted by BattleSpectre (5982 posts) -

Meh.

#15 Posted by SolidTy (42818 posts) -
#16 Posted by Shewgenja (8789 posts) -

Looking at the bigger picture, it would seem that Microsoft does not feel confident that it will be able to set up the kind of content delivery that they wanted to do this generation or with the XBox.

On one hand, it's easy to say "Yeah, I won't miss this" but you have to consider that the vision for what Microsoft can potentially do with the XBox division is eroding VERY rapidly. All signs point to this thing getting Zune'd.

#17 Posted by xhawk27 (7262 posts) -

Looking at the bigger picture, it would seem that Microsoft does not feel confident that it will be able to set up the kind of content delivery that they wanted to do this generation or with the XBox.

On one hand, it's easy to say "Yeah, I won't miss this" but you have to consider that the vision for what Microsoft can potentially do with the XBox division is eroding VERY rapidly. All signs point to this thing getting Zune'd.

I didn't see all this doom and gloom after the bad start by Sony last gen. Do you really want MS to leave Consoles?

#18 Posted by Shewgenja (8789 posts) -

@xhawk27 said:

@Shewgenja said:

I didn't see all this doom and gloom after the bad start by Sony last gen. Do you really want MS to leave Consoles?

Yep. Make room for the next guy. Stick to PC gaming and, for the love of all that is holy, rebuild Ensemble. XBox had a lot of promise, what they made of it with the XBone reveal was every Sony fanboys wettest dream. They were everything people said they were all along.

#19 Posted by XboXeR-360 (52 posts) -

it's a bad news