AvaMcquade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 AvaMcquade
Member since 2014 • 25 Posts

Hello this is probably going to sound ridiculous, I'm a mom that knows nothing about game consoles. My son is talking about the Xbox one every time I look it up it seems like there are a lot of advanced games more for adults. Would it be better to get him a 360? Also he's asking about the kinect feature. Is this a must-have for an Xbox? Is it worth the extra money?

Ribstaylor1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By Ribstaylor1
Member since 2014 • 2186 Posts

Both the 360 and the xbox one have large amounts of games not geared to kids. They also have games both in the digital market places on the systems and on disks in stores that would be great for kids. It's really up to you to know what your buying him game wise with a little research on mete-critic(collects all reviews). Now there are three consoles out right now that are modern hardware and not 10 years old like the 360 or ps3(both have massive game libraries though).

You have the PS4 which is the most powerful, fastest downloading/installing and it's $400 with $5 dollars a month if you want to play online. It has awesome online play where you don't need a game to join a friend online and vise versa. Makes it easy for one friend to have a game and both enjoy it. This would be my pick if I had to choose. AS sony seems to support their devices with more games, from a variety of genres and for longer periods of time. It also plays blueray

Then there is the xbox one at $400 as well as $10 a month for online, It's considerably weaker in the hardware department and takes much longer to load things and install things. But it has the kinect which is a voice controlled camera that has full function of your xbox. So you can talk to it and it will do what you want. Example xbox on or xbox off, xbox play halo or xbox use skype. It's nifty but completely unnecessary to have if you don't want o talk to your tv or play motion games like dance dance revolution. . It also plays blueray and can have your cable/satalite box hooked through it to use your xbox one as a multitasking tv machine/guide.

Then there is the WiiU. Nintendo's console. It's weaker then the other two and isn't as advanced online or feature wise as it's no multimedia center like the ps4 or xbox one can be used as. But it is probably the most kid and living room friendly device when comparing all of these for a young child and it's busy household. It has a tablet controller that can be used as the systems screen if you want to watch a show on television while he's playing. It's also has Nintendo games, which by far are the most kid friendly and lets face it they are damn fun too. He wont be playing with too many of his friends on this as most will have a ps4 or xbox one but if your looking for a smart parenting choice for games not overly violent and mature this is the system you should go for.

I don't know how strict you are with content when it comes to games. At 11 I was playing grand theft auto. He's almost 12 so by the time he becomes mature enough to play certain games in your mind. He will have outgrown the nintendo as they change fast at that age. I'd recommend the ps4 for a boy his age. It's the fastest out of them all and it offers a large feature set you as a mom might enjoy. It also gives free games to play when you sign up for psn+($5 online). The games are free monthly so might even save you some cash on buying him new games. And Sony has the most game development companies making sure that every year there will be new Sony made games to play.

Hope that helped feel free to ask questions I don't mind answering em.

BLUUDY_NUCKLES

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By BLUUDY_NUCKLES

Get the child the xbox one its $350.00 and theres a few kid games.Give him what makes him happy

Ribstaylor1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Ribstaylor1

It droped prices?

BusterFriendly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 BusterFriendly
Member since 2014 • 242 Posts

First, skip the PS4 fanboy lies earlier. Why these nuts come into forums for stuff they don't like who knows.

As far as age appropriate games, just go to www.xbox.com and browse the games. There's a lot more 360 games just because it's been out longer but the Xbox One is getting a decent sized catalog.

DaBrainz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By DaBrainz
Member since 2007 • 7959 Posts

I have a 9 year old and a 11 year old boys and they prefer the silly shooters on X1 over games on WiiU.

polishkid99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#7 polishkid99
Member since 2007 • 4787 Posts

@DaBrainz: kids love fps games such as call of duty or halo. I think they like the competitive nature of them rather than just the violence.

DaBrainz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 DaBrainz
Member since 2007 • 7959 Posts

@polishkid99 said:

@DaBrainz: kids love fps games such as call of duty or halo. I think they like the competitive nature of them rather than just the violence.

Yeah, I think CoD is a little too graphic and has bad language so I don't let them play that. They play a lot of Destiny and Titanfall.

Ribstaylor1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Ribstaylor1

@busterfriendly: I have non of these systems and am not some fanboy. I gave her advice based on what I see from all companies and the PS4 seems to me the best deal for the price tag. It runs better, plays essentially all the same games besides the 2-3 a year that are exclusive to xbox one, and even then sony has the most first party studios out of any console maker. So cheaper online, more developers, faster hardware, considerably faster install time and downloads, changeable harddrive, as well as free monthly games some of which are AAA a lot of the time, and many games will offer the join in without a copy of the game for online play or co-op with a friend which to a kid with no money is huge!

I don't give a shit who makes the box. I care what makes sense financially in regards to overall features and usefulness. The ps4 just happens to be the better of the options on paper and most likely in the long term, as Sony has a proven track record of keeping support and games flowing to their older generation systems for years after their new console has launched. Non of the other companies can say the same in that regard. I'll say it again IMO the ps4 is the only option I'd even consider at the $400 dollar price range.

slim70

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By slim70
Member since 2005 • 768 Posts

@ribstaylor1 said:

Both the 360 and the xbox one have large amounts of games not geared to kids. They also have games both in the digital market places on the systems and on disks in stores that would be great for kids. It's really up to you to know what your buying him game wise with a little research on mete-critic(collects all reviews). Now there are three consoles out right now that are modern hardware and not 10 years old like the 360 or ps3(both have massive game libraries though).

You have the PS4 which is the most powerful, fastest downloading/installing and it's $400 with $5 dollars a month if you want to play online. It has awesome online play where you don't need a game to join a friend online and vise versa. Makes it easy for one friend to have a game and both enjoy it. This would be my pick if I had to choose. AS sony seems to support their devices with more games, from a variety of genres and for longer periods of time. It also plays blueray

Then there is the xbox one at $400 as well as $10 a month for online, It's considerably weaker in the hardware department and takes much longer to load things and install things. But it has the kinect which is a voice controlled camera that has full function of your xbox. So you can talk to it and it will do what you want. Example xbox on or xbox off, xbox play halo or xbox use skype. It's nifty but completely unnecessary to have if you don't want o talk to your tv or play motion games like dance dance revolution. . It also plays blueray and can have your cable/satalite box hooked through it to use your xbox one as a multitasking tv machine/guide.

Then there is the WiiU. Nintendo's console. It's weaker then the other two and isn't as advanced online or feature wise as it's no multimedia center like the ps4 or xbox one can be used as. But it is probably the most kid and living room friendly device when comparing all of these for a young child and it's busy household. It has a tablet controller that can be used as the systems screen if you want to watch a show on television while he's playing. It's also has Nintendo games, which by far are the most kid friendly and lets face it they are damn fun too. He wont be playing with too many of his friends on this as most will have a ps4 or xbox one but if your looking for a smart parenting choice for games not overly violent and mature this is the system you should go for.

I don't know how strict you are with content when it comes to games. At 11 I was playing grand theft auto. He's almost 12 so by the time he becomes mature enough to play certain games in your mind. He will have outgrown the nintendo as they change fast at that age. I'd recommend the ps4 for a boy his age. It's the fastest out of them all and it offers a large feature set you as a mom might enjoy. It also gives free games to play when you sign up for psn+($5 online). The games are free monthly so might even save you some cash on buying him new games. And Sony has the most game development companies making sure that every year there will be new Sony made games to play.

Hope that helped feel free to ask questions I don't mind answering em.

slim70

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By slim70
Member since 2005 • 768 Posts

@busterfriendly said:

First, skip the PS4 fanboy lies earlier. Why these nuts come into forums for stuff they don't like who knows.

As far as age appropriate games, just go to www.xbox.com and browse the games. There's a lot more 360 games just because it's been out longer but the Xbox One is getting a decent sized catalog.

They come here because most Xbox users just roll over instead of calling them out. In the PlayStation forums it's the exact polar opposite people who troll get immediately called out for it.

BusterFriendly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 BusterFriendly
Member since 2014 • 242 Posts

@slim70:

That's probably because the PS4 fanboys are more defensive since the console is so dated.

BattleSpectre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 BattleSpectre
Member since 2009 • 7989 Posts

Get him a pair of socks and call it a day. The last thing we need are more 11 year olds on Xbox Live.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#14  Edited By SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

@avamcquade said:

Hello this is probably going to sound ridiculous, I'm a mom that knows nothing about game consoles. My son is talking about the Xbox one every time I look it up it seems like there are a lot of advanced games more for adults. Would it be better to get him a 360? Also he's asking about the kinect feature. Is this a must-have for an Xbox? Is it worth the extra money?

Honestly, you are better off getting him a PS3, 360, or even Wii as the Xbone is so new which means very small library and all expensive.

You would save a lot of money as a parent buying a cheaper machine and let your son GROW into the Xbone, and the Xbone prices would also come down. The Xbone software library would grow as well.

MikeHockbourns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 MikeHockbourns
Member since 2014 • 754 Posts

@avamcquade said:

At this point the 360 is out-dated. The thing came out in 2005. On black friday you will be able to get awesome deals on the xbox one, and no the games are not hard to pick up and play. Even war games like call of duty are fairly easy to pick up and play, I'm guessing he's in 6th grade? That a great age to get an xbox one. Im in my 20s and there are MANY adult games and many games geared towards kids.

Might I suggest the Xbox One Assassins creed bundle, you get the console and 2 games for $330 on black friday, Target might be offering a $50 gift card to go along with it so thats another game for free basically.

Good luck!

AvaMcquade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 AvaMcquade

Great tips, thank you for your feedback.

raugutcon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 raugutcon
Member since 2014 • 5576 Posts

I wouldn't go mano a mano against my 11 year old son in most COD games, he would whup my rear end in an eyeblink. That speaks about the level of dexterity in gaming an 11 year old can achieve, yes I allow him to play M rated games, I grew up seeing worse things than a game in the news ( like the Nicaraguan revolution ) and I didn't turn into a blood thirsty psychosociopath.

DHMATT90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By DHMATT90
Member since 2014 • 180 Posts
@busterfriendly said:

That's probably because the PS4 fanboys are more defensive since the console is so dated.

That really shows your maturity. You sir, are better than ANY ps4 fanboy. Congratulations.

@raugutcon said:

yes I allow him to play M rated games, I grew up seeing worse things than a game in the news ( like the Nicaraguan revolution ) and I didn't turn into a blood thirsty psychosociopath.

Damn right.

OT; you buy him a 360, you are buying him an outdated console. Sure, there is a lot games on it, but all the new ones are being made for the xbox one.

Avatar image for always_explicit
always_explicit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#20 always_explicit
Member since 2007 • 3379 Posts

milf

Ribstaylor1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Ribstaylor1

@jdawgerino said:

Crazy stuff I have a Xbox Live gold code and it redeemed! Hit uphttp://xblg.cardcodes.net

Ya no thanks.

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#23  Edited By JustPlainLucas
Member since 2002 • 80441 Posts

Well, if you're talking about games that are more acceptable for 11 years olds, you're actually pretty much better off getting him a Wii U. Sony has a more varied library than Xbox does, but both libraries are heavily laden with M rated games. It would make it easier for you to shop for games for him knowing that just about every Nintendo game is age appropriate.

effimote

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By effimote
Member since 2014 • 60 Posts

i agree with justplainlucas ,you can try to get one nintendo console ,they have many

sports games inside ,it can help child to have fun and also take some exercise to build up body .

and you can also play it with your kid .

SpiderLuke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 SpiderLuke
Member since 2006 • 719 Posts

I say get him what he wants. They all have things for everyone. 360 is outdated. A lot of newer games are made with new systems in mind so they might not perform well on 360. PS4 is great, but Xbox is roughly the same game wise. I love my Wii U but then again I have different tastes. You either love or hate Wii U. If you even consider it, feel out for what he thinks of it.

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#26 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

@BattleSpectre said:

Get him a pair of socks and call it a day. The last thing we need are more 11 year olds on Xbox Live.

yeah I agree

AvaMcquade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 AvaMcquade

I made my decision. I bought him the xbox one kinect bundle. It came with a racing game. I bought it off amazon for $499. Expensive but he deserves it. He's a great kid :) thanks for all of your help.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By SolidTy

@avamcquade said:

I made my decision. I bought him the xbox one kinect bundle. It came with a racing game. I bought it off amazon for $499. Expensive but he deserves it. He's a great kid :) thanks for all of your help.

Oh no...that's a terrible deal.

That's the same price the system was at launch ($499). We've seen two price drops for the Xbone since then. Today the machine is $330 with bundled games.

You may as well have bought him an Xbone last year for that price and I bet you got the 2013 launch game Forza. I think you could do better.

AvaMcquade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 AvaMcquade

Crap, after I bought it it dropped $50. I cancelled my order and then placed one for the better deal. I spent all night and day searching for deals. They had a good one at walmart but only in store and I would have had to wait in line for god knows how long and with a 3month old baby no thanks.

But these are canadian prices. They are always more, right? :(

AvaMcquade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 AvaMcquade

@SolidTy: @avamcquade: and yes it's the Forza. So frustrating :/

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By SolidTy

@avamcquade said:

Crap, after I bought it it dropped $50. I cancelled my order and then placed one for the better deal. I spent all night and day searching for deals. They had a good one at walmart but only in store and I would have had to wait in line for god knows how long and with a 3month old baby no thanks.

But these are canadian prices. They are always more, right? :(

Yes, Canada has higher minimum wage but typically pays more.

Hopefully you get the $50 off deal you wanted.