Is it worth having an Xbox One and PS4?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

DiseasedBagel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By DiseasedBagel
Member since 2015 • 25 Posts

Hey people, I'll make this short and sweet. I've had a PS4 for a while now and I really enjoy it. But lately I've been looking into getting an Xbox One. And by lately I mean a good year.

So here's what I would do:

Xbox One - Multiplayer games

PS4 - Sports and/or story mode games

Another thing to note as well, most of my friends have both next-gen consoles and are always telling me to get XB1.

Money isn't necessarily an issue, either. Microsoft is having that offer where if you trade in your Xbox 360, you get $125 towards an Xbox One. I have a bunch of 360 games.

Please, help me out. Thanks.

__________________________________________________________________________________________

UPDATE: I figured it out! I ended up getting an Xbox One and I do not regret it at all. i really enjoy it. I ended up trading in my Xbox 360 at GameStop and getting $125 for it because of that deal Microsoft has, and then with all of my Xbox 360 games I got around $160, so I got a bunch of in store credit and purchased an Xbox One! I didn't even have to that much actual money!

Thanks for all of your help :)

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#2 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

Xbox One = Exclusives

PS4 = Everything else

This generation the PS4 has more horsepower and has sold the most, that means that devs are going to make sure that games play better on that hardware. It also means that more games will be going to the PS4 rather than the Xbox, apps as well like Spotify.

The Xbox can't make up for the lack of horsepower and it looks like unless something huge happens the PS4 is going to outsell the Xbox with ease.

Let the Xbox be for the first party titles. The Forzas, Halos, Sunset Overdrives. Let the PS4 handle everything else.

Ribstaylor1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By Ribstaylor1
Member since 2014 • 2186 Posts

I'd recommend a ps4 and a pc or half decent laptop over an xbox one and a ps4. Having two consoles seems redundant and If microsoft is to be believed their big series are all working their way to pc with windows 10 even allowing for cross platform play with some tittles. And considering the pc has no generations, you can literally play anything you want even back to retro console games with emulation (ps1 and 2 included).

Ya I'd recommend a pc and ps4, Just seems like the better bet for diversifying the kinds and amount of games you can play. While only needing one subscription service for online. It also won't look like your just wasting money on purely gaming as a pc or laptop can be used for an unlimited amount of productive tasks.

Take into account I play only pc and don't own any consoles and don't plan too own either of the ones mentioned. So my opinion is biased towards the pc, mainly due to issues I have with both the ps4 and the xbox one.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22369 Posts

@diseasedbagel: I'm in a similar situation actually, except I've been wondering whether it's worth getting a PS4 (already have an Xbone). But at the moment, I don't think it's worth the money for me (especially having to pay for both online services). Plus I've never really been a fan of having both, especially since the majority of the games are very similar.

But as for you, if you think you'll get your moneys worth out of it, then go for it. Contrary to what most people say about it, it's a great console.

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5 thehig1
Member since 2014 • 7537 Posts

no, unless your a massive fan of each systems exlcusives

raugutcon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 raugutcon
Member since 2014 • 5576 Posts

I'm not a fan of any so past gen I got them both, this gen so far I have PS4 but the X1 will be home in the future,.

BattleSpectre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 BattleSpectre
Member since 2009 • 7989 Posts

@Jaysonguy said:

Xbox One = Exclusives

PS4 = Everything else

That's how I use my consoles too. Honestly TC, buy an Xbox One if you really want one.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
deactivated-5e90a3763ea91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 13

#9 deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
Member since 2008 • 9437 Posts

I have both, and I guess the way I kind of do things is I buy multiplat games for the console I feel it belongs on.

Here are some examples:

PVZ Garden Warfare - XBO, because it came out for it first.

Everquest Next - PS4, because Sony Online Entertainment makes the game.

Minecraft - XBO, since Microsoft owns the IP.

Kingdom Hearts 3 - PS4, since every major KH game so far has been on PS consoles.

Toy Soldiers 3 - XBO, since I played the first two on the 360.

Oddworld New n' Tasty - PS4, because I got it for free with PS Plus.

Shovel Knight - XBO, because it has the best exclusive content with the Battletoads.

It doesn't really have to make sense, it's just the console I feel like it makes the most sense to buy a game on, or whichever one I get the game for a better deal on. At the end of the day, both consoles have some pretty good exclusives, and that's what makes owning all of the different consoles worthwhile.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 55899 Posts

I own 3 Current-gen consoles and I use my Xbox One way more then my PS4 and Wii U. I say it depends on how many friends you have on Xbox One or PS4. I like Xbox community cause to me, it's more social then PS community and of course, what type of controller do you like? Which exclusive games are you interested? All these things should be taken noted when buying a console.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#12  Edited By SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

@diseasedbagel:

I own them both. My Xbone is for exclusives. I buy the machines at launch every gen.

Jaysonguy said:

Xbox One = Exclusives

PS4 = Everything else

This generation the PS4 has more horsepower and has sold the most, that means that devs are going to make sure that games play better on that hardware. It also means that more games will be going to the PS4 rather than the Xbox, apps as well like Spotify.

The Xbox can't make up for the lack of horsepower and it looks like unless something huge happens the PS4 is going to outsell the Xbox with ease.

Let the Xbox be for the first party titles. The Forzas, Halos, Sunset Overdrives. Let the PS4 handle everything else.

This link may help you.

http://www.listwar.com/released-games/

277 PS4 total games to 188 Xbone total games.

Considering both machines are the same age, the 89 game divide between PS4/Xbone is astounding to me.

119 PS4 retail vs. 107 Xbone retail. The gap is increasing there as well.

Check out the games and see what you like.

Legend002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

#13 Legend002
Member since 2007 • 13405 Posts

I paid for both PS Plus(1 year) and Gold(3 years) but the PS4 would been fine without online play while Xbox One would dead paperweight. Look at the exclusives for both. The Xbox games rely on multiplayer almost completely with Halo, Gears and Forza. There aren't many strong single player exclusives on it at all. The only hope I have for it is maybe Scalebound but with PlayStation there is an abundent of upcoming exclusive jrpgs, uncharted, tlou, god of war and whatever upcoming rpg guerilla is developing. The PS4 real ly diminish the reason for owning an Xbox One since the multiplats are better on it. If you do have to own TWO consoles, make the second a Wii U whether you own the PS4 OR XO.

*I mainly pay for Plus because of the Vita but it is not necessary with the PS4 Gold on Xbox.

Samslayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#14 Samslayer
Member since 2005 • 1852 Posts

@diseasedbagel: This is what I plan on doing, take it for what it is worth :)

I have had a PS4 since launch, and I have enjoyed the majority of the time with the system. I plan on picking up the Xbox One much farther into its life. I did this last gen with the 360 and the PS3, and it worked out very well. With the PS3, I picked up the games I wanted to play, many for considerable discounts. By the end of the generation, I played the games I wanted to, and I felt like I saved some money in the process.

Megavideogamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#15 Megavideogamer
Member since 2004 • 6554 Posts

Yes having both Xbox one and PlayStation 4 is a good way to go. The exclusive games for both the PS4 and Xbox one are the reason to have both. I like Halo and Gears of War. In addition to Uncharted and God of War. So whatever Sony and Microsoft come out with then I am set. As for Third party games Then it can choose which is best. Mostly PS4 is the better bet for third party games. Unless if it is on-line, Then Microsoft has the edge.

If you can then get both platforms you will not go wrong.

davem1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#16 davem1992
Member since 2009 • 4068 Posts

I have every system and so far only the Xbox One has went through phases of "well that was a waste of money".

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Jaysonguy

@Megavideogamer said:

Unless if it is on-line, Then Microsoft has the edge.

Microsoft no longer has the edge there, the PS4 handles larger games better than the Xbox for games like Battlefield with 62 players

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#18 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

Not really, at least for now. Maybe the investments will pay off later, but right now I kind of regret owning all consoles.

garfield360uk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#19 garfield360uk
Member since 2006 • 20381 Posts

@diseasedbagel said:

Hey people, I'll make this short and sweet. I've had a PS4 for a while now and I really enjoy it. But lately I've been looking into getting an Xbox One. And by lately I mean a good year.

Another thing to note as well, most of my friends have both next-gen consoles and are always telling me to get XB1.

Money isn't necessarily an issue, either. Microsoft is having that offer where if you trade in your Xbox 360, you get $125 towards an Xbox One. I have a bunch of 360 games.

I do not have a PlayStation 4 so can not answer in a knowledgeable way. However, from what you say, you have friends who would want to play online games with you on the Xbox and would not be able to on the PlayStation 4? I would say if this is important to you (it is for me and is why I went with an Xbox One as the friends I made via Xbox 360 went with the Xbox One and I continue to play online with them) then get the Xbox One. It would allow your brother to play the PS4 whilst you play on the Xbox or vice versa.

For me, I did have a PS3 and Xbox 360 from the previous console cycle and I found I rarely used my PlayStation 3. This was in part because I had fewer PlayStation owning friends and thus had less reason to get games on it, which in turn made me use it less thus less opportunities to make friends on the system to play games with online. However, I do not regret buying both because there are great games for both systems.

I say, if you want it, you have the money and there are games you want to play, go for it. You do not need to justify your spending to us, and you will never get an answer that is conclusive. One will tell you that a game is awful and one will say its amazing. Go with your gut feeling, if you are struggling, I recommend writing a list of pros and cons of both decisions and see how you feel.

I hope this helps you. If you have any further questions, let us know here as I am sure we will try and help answer any questions you may have regarding the system and software available for it.

jdfan56k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 jdfan56k
Member since 2015 • 118 Posts

It's all preference but I love my Xbox. 300 bucks and I get a blu ray player along with a topnotch gameconsole. Love the Xbox Live services and my sports games.

Avatar image for jeremyhumphrey2
jeremyhumphrey2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 jeremyhumphrey2
Member since 2014 • 26 Posts

xb1 is better it has everything

xhawk27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 xhawk27
Member since 2010 • 12181 Posts

For Exclusive games on Xbox One like Halo 5, QB, Scalebound, Gears 4, Forza 6, and Crackdown 3.

BigBadBully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 BigBadBully
Member since 2006 • 2367 Posts

I think it's better to just have one console at the start. Then get the second console later. For me, it was easy going with Xbox One. I game more in Online/Co-op games and MS does a good job with its exclusives/multiplats(Titanfall, Dead Rising 3, Sunset Overdrive, Forza Horizon 2) in that department. Once Sony gets some good exclusive/multiplat(that don't go to Xone) games with co-op/multiplayer, I'll probably jump in and grab a PS4.

slim70

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 slim70
Member since 2005 • 768 Posts

@diseasedbagel said:

__________________________________________________________________________________________

UPDATE: I figured it out! I ended up getting an Xbox One and I do not regret it at all. i really enjoy it. I ended up trading in my Xbox 360 at GameStop and getting $125 for it because of that deal Microsoft has, and then with all of my Xbox 360 games I got around $160, so I got a bunch of in store credit and purchased an Xbox One! I didn't even have to that much actual money!

The XBO is a great console, has great online with some great exclusive games with many more to come. I'm glad you didn't fall for all the PS fanboy crap in this thread. MS is going to rock this years E3!

kuu2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#25 kuu2
Member since 2005 • 12056 Posts

I would say not right now unless you truly believe you are missing out on some must have game which neither system really has yet.

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Jaysonguy

@diseasedbagel said:

Good, just remember to use it for exclusives only, don't waste time with inferior versions of everything else since you don't have to.

ProtossX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 ProtossX
Member since 2005 • 2880 Posts

imo its not worth it to own a xbone if you own a ps4

but if you own a xbone it might be worth it to get a ps4 cuz it looks like its the lead platform for multiplats

microsoft needs to prove itself worth it to stand next to a ps4 and it hasn't yet to be fair neither has sony if u got a ps4 dont pick up bone till they put out some good stuff

skipper847

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#28 skipper847
Member since 2006 • 7334 Posts

Have both but use xbox one mainly for video (films). I use my PC for games when working :P. PS4 down stairs as mum nicked it for tetris.

davem1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#29 davem1992
Member since 2009 • 4068 Posts

@slim70: Yes yes, you hate the PS4 and Sony we know.

slim70

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By slim70

@davem1992 said:

@slim70: Yes yes, you hate the PS4 and Sony we know.

To be honest, these kinds of topics should only be allowed in SW because they're toxic they cause flame wars and trolling for obvious reasons - that's what SW is all about btw. Platform forums are for the fans to talk about that platform or people who have questions pertaining only to that platform. Understand?

Read some of the comments above then honestly tell me that there's nobody trolling, "imo its not worth it to own a xbone if you own a ps4" just an example. If you honestly don't see the issue with that comment alone in this particular forum then you're obviously part of the problem.

slim70

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By slim70

@ProtossX said:

imo its not worth it to own a xbone if you own a ps4

but if you own a xbone it might be worth it to get a ps4 cuz it looks like its the lead platform for multiplats

microsoft needs to prove itself worth it to stand next to a ps4 and it hasn't yet to be fair neither has sony if u got a ps4 dont pick up bone till they put out some good stuff

If it was anyone but you I would just respectfully disagree and then prove you wrong. But because it is you and you're a well known troll in SW I won't waist my time and I'll just tell you to go crawl back under your bridge.

garfield360uk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#32 garfield360uk
Member since 2006 • 20381 Posts

Calm down people, the topic creator has made their mind up. This is not System Wars so lets not turn it into that. People can ask about buying an Xbox here and you can give honest views as to why to get/avoid it. However it needs to be constructive and I feel the points raised here would help the TC make a decision. But you have to keep in mind what the user asking the question wants, so if they say I do not have the internet then there would be little point saying buy Elder Scrolls Online.

Topic locked before this escalates any more.

@diseasedbagel:

If you have any other questions about your new console or want suggestions for games, please make a new topic or use the pinned "What have you bought" thread as we are glad to help you out.