Is having an open NAT type bad?(MW2)

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Solid-CELL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Solid-CELL
Member since 2006 • 5910 Posts

I ask bc i just switched my xbox to wireless. My NAT type was NAT 3 when it was wired.

Now thats its open, my matches are horrible! It lags where im playing in slow-mo. Plus, my router is a wireless N. What the hell's going on?

Gen007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 Gen007
Member since 2006 • 11006 Posts

open is the best type of nat to have. It means your connection accepts all traffic.

sharkbiscuit79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 sharkbiscuit79
Member since 2009 • 1142 Posts

open is the best type of nat to have. It means your connection accepts all traffic.

Gen007

yep open is very good strict is very bad

jonzilla_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 61

#4 jonzilla_basic
Member since 2002 • 2334 Posts
I also agree,
Solid-CELL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Solid-CELL
Member since 2006 • 5910 Posts
i dont understand. every match im on theres the same lag. Im wondering, could it be bc i have the old wireless adapter for my xbox. since im not using wireless g..?
k2theswiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#6 k2theswiss
Member since 2007 • 16599 Posts
i dont understand. every match im on theres the same lag. Im wondering, could it be bc i have the old wireless adapter for my xbox. since im not using wireless g..?Solid-CELL
maybe you runing off wireless makes you lag then makes everyone appear lagging to you....
Overlord93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Overlord93
Member since 2007 • 12602 Posts

playing MW2 i cant get past the fetching playlists box with my NAT open, i have to get it to moderate to play online

dragonic9100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 dragonic9100
Member since 2009 • 356 Posts

playing MW2 i cant get past the fetching playlists box with my NAT open, i have to get it to moderate to play online

Overlord93

really? i've never heard of that before.

Avatar image for JayQproductions
JayQproductions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 JayQproductions
Member since 2007 • 1806 Posts

an open NAT is good, a wireless connection is not. it's always better to have a wired connection, if your using wireless you'll almost always have almost half the connection you normally would if you had it wired. Wireless is really the "last resort" option.

fastr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 fastr
Member since 2010 • 2100 Posts
Yeah.. ditch the wireless man! there should still be some wired connections on your new wireless modem.. so you can keep the wireless if your using it for a laptop or something, and still directly connect your box.
otaku_dono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 otaku_dono
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts

Overlord93

Me too! Yesterday i decided to change my NAT to open just because i had been hearing from everyone that its so much better that way, and from the moment i did it my connection has been efffffed up. it takes me about 10 min to find a match and when i do get in my connection is so bad that there is no point in even trying to play. And when i changed it back to moderate, the connection was a teeny tiny bit better but not even close to how fast it was before I started messing with it.

I can't figure out what the problem is and its driving me nuts. I'm using a wired connection, static ip is set, ports forwarded, and i even tried enabling DMZ but nothing seems to help. Any suggestions?

chaoscougar1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#12 chaoscougar1
Member since 2005 • 37603 Posts
your NAT doesnt have much to do with lag directly, it determines who you can connect to
Lach0121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#13 Lach0121
Member since 2007 • 11783 Posts

my connection has been having problems lately anyway, not just mw2.

and its comcast. maybe there is just a large re-routing issues, which is making it lag for more people along those paths.

just a thought, NAT (network address translation) affects lag very little, -what it does do however is determine who you can connect to, thus results in a laggy match if all you can connect to are a bunch of other bad connections.

i say everyone should powercycle... try wired once.. and see what all it does for everyone.

lordjosh9009

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 lordjosh9009
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts

[QUOTE="Overlord93"]

otaku_dono

Me too! Yesterday i decided to change my NAT to open just because i had been hearing from everyone that its so much better that way, and from the moment i did it my connection has been efffffed up. it takes me about 10 min to find a match and when i do get in my connection is so bad that there is no point in even trying to play. And when i changed it back to moderate, the connection was a teeny tiny bit better but not even close to how fast it was before I started messing with it.

I can't figure out what the problem is and its driving me nuts. I'm using a wired connection, static ip is set, ports forwarded, and i even tried enabling DMZ but nothing seems to help. Any suggestions?

im having the same problem he is. worked fine till the other day and now it takes 10+ minutes to find a game. when it does connection is realy bad.
V4LENT1NE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#15 V4LENT1NE
Member since 2006 • 12901 Posts
NAT has no effect on connection speed, it only effects what you can conect to.